My prescription for the stock License plate bracket

ChipBeck_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
That looks great Chip! If I remember correctly, you had to drill new holes in the fender. Is that right? You didn't happen to do one of your famous how-to tutorials for this, did you?
Mentally,

I never got around to doing a full blown "How To" on these items but I should. But I did put up this thread with a lot of photos.

Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light

The taillight is pretty simple though. There are three holes in your rear fender as it comes stock. One on the top and two way down below. They are spaced so far apart that there is absolutely no way that you'll ever find a smaller aftermarket tail light that bolts right on. It would have to be massive to span the gap between the top hole and the two bottom holes. Look at the underside of your rear fender and you'll see what I mean. So I used the stock top hole with it's rubber gasket and I drilled two 1/4 inch holes for the bottom mounting bolts. The Lucas taillight has its own license plate holder and the license plate rests on top of those two stock holes and covers them. I put a piece of rubber adhesive tape across the two unused stock bottom holes before bolting the license plate on. Cheers.

Chip
Mentally,

I never got around to doing a full blown "How To" on these items but I should. But I did put up this thread with a lot of photos.

Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light

The taillight is pretty simple though. There are three holes in your rear fender as it comes stock. One on the top and two way down below. They are spaced so far apart that there is absolutely no way that you'll ever find a smaller aftermarket tail light that bolts right on. It would have to be massive to span the gap between the top hole and the two bottom holes. Look at the underside of your rear fender and you'll see what I mean. So I used the stock top hole with it's rubber gasket and I drilled two 1/4 inch holes for the bottom mounting bolts. The Lucas taillight has its own license plate holder and the license plate rests on top of those two stock holes and covers them. I put a piece of rubber adhesive tape across the two unused stock bottom holes before bolting the license plate on. Cheers.

Chip
Thanks for this! I might get over my squeemishness of drilling into my fender and if I do, I'll follow your directions on how to do this.
 
Just got mine - well worth the money, and quick delivery. Installed in about 5 minutes, and looks great, really cleans up the rear end. Thanks, Jeff -
 
So.....what if a fella wanted to bend the plate around the fender a little like they are on some old cafe bikes? How do you think that would look and could it be accomplished by bending metalmaven's bracket? Thoughts?
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Just got mine - well worth the money, and quick delivery. Installed in about 5 minutes, and looks great, really cleans up the rear end. Thanks, Jeff -
Good to hear papa weeley! Post a picture!
EmptySea_imp said:
So.....what if a fella wanted to bend the plate around the fender a little like they are on some old cafe bikes? How do you think that would look and could it be accomplished by bending metalmaven's bracket? Thoughts?
I wouldn't recommend it.. I think it would take more than just bending the plate, you would need some radius'd shims and it would probably throw the hole alignment off..
 
metalmaven_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Just got mine - well worth the money, and quick delivery. Installed in about 5 minutes, and looks great, really cleans up the rear end. Thanks, Jeff -
Good to hear papa weeley! Post a picture!
EmptySea_imp said:
So.....what if a fella wanted to bend the plate around the fender a little like they are on some old cafe bikes? How do you think that would look and could it be accomplished by bending metalmaven's bracket? Thoughts?
I wouldn't recommend it.. I think it would take more than just bending the plate, you would need some radius'd shims and it would probably throw the hole alignment off..
Good to hear papa weeley! Post a picture!
Here you go. Not the best shot, but for those on the fence, you can see how it really cleans up the rear end:

 
Thread starter
Here is one of my license plate brackets in BLACK.
Installed on my 2014.

Kinda small and hard to see but wanted to show whole bike :-)



 
Black ones would be the cat's meow. I just did the Chip Beck mod on mine and commented that I wanted to take it back apart and paint the replacement bracket satin black. The back of the bracket and the lic plate reflect in the chrome on the rear fender.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Black ones would be the cat's meow. I just did the Chip Beck mod on mine and commented that I wanted to take it back apart and paint the replacement bracket satin black. The back of the bracket and the lic plate reflect in the chrome on the rear fender.
yeah awesome! I made my plates full size to cover the entire ugly back of the plate. Meow
 
I think I'm going to buy this and I may even cover it in chrome tinted vinyl so that it reflects the reflection of the fender back to the fender then back to the plate and then back to the fender and then back to the plate and...
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I think I'm going to buy this and I may even cover it in chrome tinted vinyl so that it reflects the reflection of the fender back to the fender then back to the plate and then back to the fender and then back to the plate and...
it would be an infinity mirror! lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Black ones would be the cat's meow. I just did the Chip Beck mod on mine and commented that I wanted to take it back apart and paint the replacement bracket satin black. The back of the bracket and the lic plate reflect in the chrome on the rear fender.
Mick,

When I did this mod on my son's Ducati M796 I did just that. I sanded the piece and painted it flat black. It looks great. The flat black simple license plate frame looks best IMO too. Using a flat black plate frame, stainless steel hardware looks best. Chrome stands out too much and standard bolts tarnish in time. Stainless has a nice flat but smooth finish that goes good on the black.

Chip
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Yes - as mentioned above - works perfectly on my '13.
Pictures are a few posts before my previous post.
Good stuff, works and looks great.

Thank you! Just wanted to be absolutely sure :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Papa Weeley_imp said:
No problem - thanks again for the great product!
Glad you like it, you are welcome!



I found out yesterday that the License Plate Bracket may not fit certain states plates. I dont think this will be common, but as for Virginia, the 4 plate holes are not lining up. I will be adding a picture to my Etsy Store Page that shows dimensions of the plate my bracket is made for. As for my Virginia friend, I will be getting him a plate that actually fits.

Custom Metalwork is NEVER short of hurdles...! :thanks:
 
Back
Top