Yellow Headlight

Matt F._imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Matt, that's interesting. I've always thought I was pretty observant and astute when it came to motorcycle history but I don't ever recall seeing a motorcycle with a yellow headlight.

Hey if it works for you and you like it, it's cool by me.
Ferret, just to clarify.... Unless you were in France, The Netherlands, Switzerland and/or some parts of Germany in the 70's through early 90's then you would not have seen this. Yellow headlights were never adopted as the norm in the U.S.
I never saw it first hand either unless you count the fog lights on my old '83 diesel Benz...
Nevertheless I think your observentness and astuteness are perfectly intact
Ferret, just to clarify.... Unless you were in France, The Netherlands, Switzerland and/or some parts of Germany in the 70's through early 90's then you would not have seen this. Yellow headlights were never adopted as the norm in the U.S.
I never saw it first hand either unless you count the fog lights on my old '83 diesel Benz...
Nevertheless I think your observentness and astuteness are perfectly intact

Ahh, no I wasn't in Europe until about 2010. Thanks for the info. Thought I was going crazy for a minute there.
 
I remember seeing them in Chicago on cars in the 70's from time to time, but nothing after that.
 
I remember we used to put them on tricked out vans back in the 70's. They were fog lights and they really did a good job lighting up the road. The scariest times I have riding is when I must ride in fog, the yellow lenses would really help.
 
Matt, the instructions say to blow on it lightly to remove the bubbles. Did you do that? Did it work? (either you didn't or it doesn't :) )
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Matt, the instructions say to blow on it lightly to remove the bubbles. Did you do that? Did it work? (either you didn't or it doesn't :) )
I actually didn't read any instructions for the specific product that I used unless you count the nonsensicle sentence fragments on the back label :dodgy:

Good info though and it's likely that it would have worked. I'll try that next time
 
When you say it's legal in your state, what are you basing that on? I know of no law that allows a yellow headlight. Most states only say that white and yellow lights for front, (meaning white headlight and yellow marker and turn signals) and yellow and red for rear while car is moving forward. I believe headlight regulations would come under a federal statute which mandates white only.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
When you say it's legal in your state, what are you basing that on? I know of no law that allows a yellow headlight. Most states only say that white and yellow lights for front, (meaning white headlight and yellow marker and turn signals) and yellow and red for rear while car is moving forward. I believe headlight regulations would come under a federal statute which mandates white only.
Good question. I'm basing it on Title 63 of the Ms Motor Vehicles Traffic and Regulations Code. I have the code that specifically covers color of lighting devices printed and stored under my seat with my insurance card.
I'm not going to bother copy and pasting the code as its not applicable to you or most forum members. However a quick Google search should take you to your states codes and regs.

You are right about Federal Regulations. Only DOT approved headlights meet regulation requirements, however its the individual states that enforce these regulations and they have thier own headlight laws.

They real common sense key to stuff like this is to know your state. Some states are picky and particular about every little thing, some aren't.

Mississippi is very "lax" with things like this. That being said, if officer friendly pulls me over and threatens me with a ticket I will promptly remove the yellow and move on to other mods. :worship:
 
So...what if I just took a yellow highlighter and..... ;)

(I think it looks cool, but I think I'm just going to go with a mesh stone guard to get a retro look)
 
Hey Matt are you the MattF that just started posting replies over on MotorcycleDaily.com?
 
I run a yellow headlight on mine too. I think it looks really cool and it does stand out on the road when you see one. I will say it does dim the out put of the headlight by about 15%. But here in Wisconsin we can run any color of headlight on a motorcycle except red or blue.
 
Thread starter
gbpack89_imp said:
I run a yellow headlight on mine too. I think it looks really cool and it does stand out on the road when you see one. I will say it does dim the out put of the headlight by about 15%. But here in Wisconsin we can run any color of headlight on a motorcycle except red or blue.
If that's your bike in your avatar pic... What tire is that?
 
I wish, although I don't know how anyone could ride on that seat! I have been exploring some none conventional tires out there lately. Really like the Firestone Coker tires but they seem to be much more for display than riding sadly
 
Thread starter
gbpack89_imp said:
I wish, although I don't know how anyone could ride on that seat! I have been exploring some none conventional tires out there lately. Really like the Firestone Coker tires but they seem to be much more for display than riding sadly
I've been looking at the Coker tired as well... I love the look and I think I'd be willing to give them a try even if I sacrificed a little performance.
My thing is that I'm unsure about sizing, especially on the front because of the fender... Not much clearance up there. I would love to run a more "classic" tire as I've never thought the stock tires look proper on the new CB's
Lemme know if you get it figured out! :beerchug:
 
At the risk of turning this into a tire thread I will continue haha. Reviews of the Cokers say they last about 4k miles or less, and handling is effected. Most guys recommend Avon speedmasters or similar tires from that line. Personally I think I might go with these when its time to change the oem (they arnt cool enough to take off still good tires like the Cokers would be if they lasted!)




Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top