Yellow Headlight

Yours turned out good! But IMHO I think the traditional yellow lenses only look good on real old school cafe racer and modified bikes even though our bikes represent a classic look and style I don't think the yellow fits our modern bikes.
 
Not critisizing, but truthfully trying to understand.. I have never seen a yellow headlight. Why would you want to do this? Does it dull the headlight beam making it harder to see at night? Would this make you more or less conspicuous to oncoming traffic which may turn or pull out in front of you?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Not critisizing, but truthfully trying to understand.. I have never seen a yellow headlight. Why would you want to do this? Does it dull the headlight beam making it harder to see at night? Would this make you more or less conspicuous to oncoming traffic which may turn or pull out in front of you?
I'm not criticizing either, but those same questions came to me.
 
It's called `Selective Yellow' and is said, to be a bit better in fog than white, as it does not reflect so much as white light.
Selective yellow - Wikipedia

In France, all cars and motorcycle had yellow front lights till 1993. Then they changed to white. I saw these yellow headlights in earlier times, when we visited France.

So, if it's not a French vehicle, built before 1993, yellow light to me seems not to be authentic.
 
It's not something I would do to my bike, and neither would I paint my bike as proposed in another thread, but I think it's fine if that's something you like and makes you happy. Me? I'd rather use the cash for road trips (gas, motels, etc.).
 
Thread starter
I have several thoughts and maybe some responses to questions that have been asked.... About to get on the road so no time right now but I'll get back with y'all maybe later this eve
 
LongRanger_imp said:
It's not something I would do to my bike, and neither would I paint my bike as proposed in another thread, but I think it's fine if that's something you like and makes you happy. Me? I'd rather use the cash for road trips (gas, motels, etc.).
+1...
 
I'd guess legality varies by State. I know in BC (and most of Canada) headlights have to be white in colour.

I think it looks cool. There are lots of cafe guys here that run yellow with the electrical tape "x" across for looks. I'd totally go for it if it was a sort of clip-on-clip-off setup.

I think the actual purpose is to give you light without killing your night vision as much as "normal" white light.
 
I'm thinking this would make it more noticeable for others to see you. "French" fog lights (basically just fog lights that were yellow) were quite popular back in the days. Like Django mentioned, it's better for the fog.
 
Thread starter
Ok, my thoughts behind this;

1. It looks cool!
2. I really believe the yellow stands out from the white clutter.
3. I see it as a "tip of the cap" to a bygone time.
4. It's 100% legal in my state so why not...
5. It cost $2.59. I LOVE cheap mods that don't necessarily look cheap.
6. See number 1

As far as the specific product I used, I give it a 7 out of 10. I brushed it on with a foam brush and it dried with very tiny little bubbles. They are almost undetectable but nevertheless there.
Product was purchased at Michaels arts and crafts store.

Yes, no matter what anyone says your nighttime visibility is slightly reduced by going yellow. I chose to do only one coat which gives me the yellow look I want but has no real reduction in light throw. I see just fine at night and get the sense that the autos see me even better.

There are a few other products that can be used to accomplish this look. I chose the cheap route and I'm happy with the outcome.

I love the unique look and I think it fits perfect with my black CB!

Here's some cool bikes that make me love the look:



[url=http://s1035.photobucket.com/user/mkfchef/media/D2956832-45C1-4866-B044-B551216EA1EF_zpsg5mhvqe6.jpg.html]
 
Matt, that's interesting. I've always thought I was pretty observant and astute when it came to motorcycle history but I don't ever recall seeing a motorcycle with a yellow headlight.

Hey if it works for you and you like it, it's cool by me.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Matt, that's interesting. I've always thought I was pretty observant and astute when it came to motorcycle history but I don't ever recall seeing a motorcycle with a yellow headlight.

Hey if it works for you and you like it, it's cool by me.
Ferret, just to clarify.... Unless you were in France, The Netherlands, Switzerland and/or some parts of Germany in the 70's through early 90's then you would not have seen this. Yellow headlights were never adopted as the norm in the U.S.
I never saw it first hand either unless you count the fog lights on my old '83 diesel Benz...
Nevertheless I think your observentness and astuteness are perfectly intact
 
Back
Top