White House K10 - a story of regeneration

WOW, what a collection!!!, looks like I was having an old data..time to visit soon to update :)
:thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
WOW, what a collection!!!, looks like I was having an old data..time to visit soon to update :)
:thumbsup:
And I had 2 CBX I thought it was a lot! Congrats Lash, I love the gold.
Let me know PB, I will accompany you with my camera.
Regards
Alain
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
WOW, what a collection!!!, looks like I was having an old data..time to visit soon to update :)
:thumbsup:
And I had 2 CBX I thought it was a lot! Congrats Lash, I love the gold.
Let me know PB, I will accompany you with my camera.
Regards
Alain
And I had 2 CBX I thought it was a lot! Congrats Lash, I love the gold.
Let me know PB, I will accompany you with my camera.
Regards
Alain
OK, no problem...let's wait for Lash response.....and if any charge for visiting the famous CB750 stable, we are both seniors and handicapped :D
 
Thread starter
lash_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That's lovely too, lash. That's 5 CB750s?
I’m at 6 right now, maybe do a brown one next..
I’m at 6 right now, maybe do a brown one next..
Fabulous collection Lash, some beautiful pieces of Honda history which ultimately led to the creation of this K10. Thanks for posting.


Quick update tonight. I was hoping to collect the freshly liveried parts from the paint shop this afternoon but had to leave them there. We were not 100% happy with the depth of the lacquer finish, so Mike graciously agreed and offered to flat them off and give everything another coat. Might get a call tomorrow, but more likely to be able to collect them next week sometime.
Sorry PB, you will just have to wait a few more days until the big reveal!

But not to worry, it's only a bike and I have another one to play with. So the good news is that this has given me time tonight to play with the CAD again and see what I could come up with for some replacement front disc mounting bells. Since I didn't have chance last night to take dimensions I estimated the overall size and slot shapes for the dinner plates from my photos. After a couple of adjustments I think I got it in ballpark, then and after 5 or 6 re-draws of the new slot shapes the final design I came up with to me looked "right". What do you think? Should look great in a gold anodised finish.

Talking about gold anodising, I did get some more good news tonight in that B&C Express have despatched the new custom rear sprocket which is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Whoopee!

Hey, if all goes to plan, this time next week Rodney we might have a Honda 1100 Four to ride...
 
Thread starter
To measure up the dinner plate accurately I obviously had to remove it from the wheel first, so that was this afternoon's job.

The "floating" discs are mounted on what can only be described as "bobbins" (which I'm guessing are made from titanium due to its heat insulating properties), stainless steel shims between the disc and bell with stainless steel conical spring washers under the head of the bobbin. This clever little bit of design allows free thermal expansion of the disc and protects the alloy bell from wear and heat.

Anyway, easy strip down and a quick measure with verniers and the job was done...
 
Ninemeister,tools and talent, wow! Nice work!
Peter, if you Alain and Go want to come up next season when its warm, no problem and after we can get out for a ride
 
Thread starter
lash_imp said:
Ninemeister,tools and talent, wow! Nice work!
Peter, if you Alain and Go want to come up next season when its warm, no problem and after we can get out for a ride
:beerchug:

With the discs removed I had better access to the spokes and took the opportunity to give them a clean & polish with a looped strip of rag soaked in WD40. With the bell spacers off I decided to clean out the shaft seals and was glad I did.

Never assume anything - a good doctrine to adopt when dealing with non-standard parts. One side of the wheel no problem, standard 42mm x 28mm rubber shaft seal fitted as it should. The other side however had the same seal in a 43mm bore, held in place with two 0.5mm shims. Lovely. I'm now adding a 28mm x 43mm shaft seal to the order list.

The good news is that the wheel cleaned up well.
 
Nm, I always say: do it right or do not do it al all, no shortcuts !!:thumbsup:

Lash, we'll invade you next season, get ready:)
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Nine , is that a Warco bench grinder on your work bench ? , mine is 40 years old and still working great .
Well spotted!


You got me thinking. I must have bought the bench grinder to shape lathe tools for an old Myford ML4 lathe that I was given by a friend in the model boat club I joined before I went to University. That was indeed around 40 years ago, and yes, it's still working!

I took one of the grindstones off and fitted a polishing shaft, so whilst not the most powerful grinder in the world it did the job well enough to re-finish the Wyvern exhaust. I'll be trying it out again later today when I polish up the front mudguard, look out for a photo.
 
I bought my Warco bench grinder in the late seventies or early eighties at a toy makers exhibition in London . I was never good in making toy models but the show had unbelievable models of cars , bikes, boats , trains and other things.
 
Thread starter
More of the same today.

Using my trusty (Warco -SIP) bench grinder I re-polished the chrome on the front mudguard, rubbed down the rusty inner face with 80 grade, degreased and then gave it a quick spray over with etch primer. I'll leave that a day to dry off and will shoot wheel silver inside after work tomorrow.

Only other job was cleaning and re-polishing the mudguard bracket ready for re-assembly which I can't do until I get the headlight ears and finial fit the forks.
Houtman_imp said:
I bought my Warco bench grinder in the late seventies or early eighties at a toy makers exhibition in London . I was never good in making toy models but the show had unbelievable models of cars , bikes, boats , trains and other things.
I used to race radio controlled model power boats, which to be honest were somewhat akin to a guided missile. With a lot of help and encouragement from my friend Brian I managed to win a British Championship, however that was nothing compared to my other mate Dave who went on to become multiple FSR World Champion. Brian was the one who gave me his dad's old lathe which I put to good use making my own engine components. All good fun, but gave it all up when I got into cars big time...
 
Picture #3, a read handle of wire brush,,, a lot of rust on the inner fender side, never had on my ‘13 nor ‘14 either??
 
I bought my 2018 EX in February, 2019. It had been slightly damaged in an accident within a week or so of purchase. As I was repairing it, I was extremely concerned at the amount of rust I was finding, in places where quite frankly, there should NEVER be any rust and certainly not on a Honda.

See my thread on the handlebar replacement (rust in the wingmirror mount)... http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14415

Or the rust on the grabrail and in the rear mudguard... http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....254&page=6

Remember, this is on a 'bike that was barely six months and 160 miles old!!

An added problem for riders in the UK is the rotten weather at all times of the year and the large quantities of salt strewn on the road when ice threatens. Even so, this partucular 'bike had not been subject to this.
So beware of rust...
 
GoldOxide_imp said:

Bazbro: I have read much of the same from your Honda Africa Twin UK brethren. They simply can't believe an ADV bike rust rotting so quickly. They appear torn blaming the UK climate and Honda cheapening on materials. On the flip-side, south western state 'mericans as questioning, "Rust? What's that?" (maybe Cormanus too). One would think that Honda United Kingdom would get Hondas specially conditioned to resist the rather damp environment.
That's very interesting, GO. Maybe BMW's fare better in this respect, because of much less chrome and more anodised alloy/protected parts? Then the comparisons between BMW GSs and Africa Twins might become quite stark. Imagine an owner abusing his GS for a year or two, with minimal apparent corrosion, then doing the same with a much worse-protected Africa Twin...
It is the market that Honda is serving which is the decider, I think... the USA market, with its' better weather, is vastly larger than the UK, even European, market and as thickly applied chrome isn't necessary in Arizona, that's what the market decides.

But it was the rapidity of the rust formation on mine that startled me, it was far beyond what I considered 'reasonable'. I am now on the lookout for rust in little nooks and crannies where I wouldn't be looking normally. I urge others to guard against corrosion, because modern Hondas are clearly not as good in this respect as they once were.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:

Sadly not so, but then I live in a humid part of the country. Not that it should be relevant. To be fit for purpose, bikes ought to be built to withstand rain and weather. Or at least mine should be. I've got bits and pieces of rust where it shouldn't be and other Australians have also reported it. My view is that the build quality of the CB1100 leaves a little to be desired.
 
Back
Top