Thread starter
A friend of mine who rides bikes lives in Eureka-CA, 400-500 miles from me in OR depending on the route, paints houses there every summer and I had a week off, so...a road trip to help paint!
We talked on the phone last Monday afternoon and he said "you have a week off work? You should come down to help me" to which I replied "I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel project and my tile saw won't cooperate and..." to which he interrupted and said "that's why you should come, you need a break from that project to help me with mine"...hard to argue with sound logic.
By Monday evening, I had the CB1100 packed and Tuesday was on the road by 8am. Took boring but fast I-5 south out of the Portand, OR area and by noon was in Grants Pass heading towards the coast on fun hiway 199:
Lots of river stop possibilities along the way:
Lots of Redwood parks in northern CA, and the first I road through was Jebediah Smith, a few miles before Crescent City:
As my friend was in the middle of painting that day, no need to get there too early so I spent some time mucking around Crescent City. Views from Battery Point lighthouse:
After Crescent City, you run into Elk country, and true to "Elk Meadow Cabins" name,
...
...this guy and a few friends were grazing a stone's throw away:
The coastline is beautiful, only interrupted by about 10 construction areas where there were flaggers and one-lane open traffic issues...but the the views do make up for that unpleasantness:
My friend was finishing up the his painting for the day around 6pm so I timed my arrival for a bit after that and it was a great day of riding...because Wednesday was to be all day paint day.
We talked on the phone last Monday afternoon and he said "you have a week off work? You should come down to help me" to which I replied "I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel project and my tile saw won't cooperate and..." to which he interrupted and said "that's why you should come, you need a break from that project to help me with mine"...hard to argue with sound logic.
By Monday evening, I had the CB1100 packed and Tuesday was on the road by 8am. Took boring but fast I-5 south out of the Portand, OR area and by noon was in Grants Pass heading towards the coast on fun hiway 199:
Lots of river stop possibilities along the way:
Lots of Redwood parks in northern CA, and the first I road through was Jebediah Smith, a few miles before Crescent City:
As my friend was in the middle of painting that day, no need to get there too early so I spent some time mucking around Crescent City. Views from Battery Point lighthouse:
After Crescent City, you run into Elk country, and true to "Elk Meadow Cabins" name,
...this guy and a few friends were grazing a stone's throw away:
The coastline is beautiful, only interrupted by about 10 construction areas where there were flaggers and one-lane open traffic issues...but the the views do make up for that unpleasantness:
My friend was finishing up the his painting for the day around 6pm so I timed my arrival for a bit after that and it was a great day of riding...because Wednesday was to be all day paint day.
