Bazbro_imp said:
I'm in awe of skilled engineers and mechanics. I'm just a "wannabe"!! My late Father was an engineer and I just wish that he had steered me in that direction. I love 'tinkering' but I know my limits - the more I tinker, the more I know how much I DON'T know...
I know my limits as well, I'm a good design engineer but there is definitely nothing skilled about that milling job, I can assure you!
As for your last sentiment, that's just true for life in general. I left university thinking I knew it all, 30+ years later I'm still learning every day. Helps to keep you grounded though when you have polymath friends who understand engine design, mathematics & physics on a level that I can't even comprehend!
So today's little update is all about handle bar end weights:
When the bike was delivered I noticed quite quickly that the bar end weights were "wobbly" and made a note to investigate. Turned out that someone had removed the original inner weights and refitted the outer weights with just a rubber bobbin. Suffice to say it had to be sorted so I ordered replacement parts from Fowlers.
Parts arrived last night (great service by the way and carriage free as over £50):
Inner weight x2
Rubber sleeve x4
Outer clip x2
The photos show the "D" location of the outer weight into similar on the inner weight, with screw down the centre. The D location is presumably to stop someone casually unscrewing the weight.
I'll do a drawing of the inner weight, just in case they were removed for a reason (differing frequency harmonic vibration from the lightweight wheels?) as I could make lighter replacements from aluminium.