Staintune Exhaust

If you guys could rank the sound level of the Staintune...say from 1 to 10, with 1 being the quietest and the stock sound being a 2....where would the Staintune be?
 
I pulled the trigger this morning and sent an e-mail to Jerry over at Pirate's Lair, expecting a reply on Monday. Five minutes didn't go by before Jerry replied. Now that's fast! Can't wait to join the group of happy Staintune owners!
 
Awesome CB4ME! I'm holding off on my exhaust purchase. I like the Staintune, I like the Moriwaki...I can't decide. I'm trapped in limbo like Guth was previously.
 
I felt your pain and was having a hard time too. But after reading this thread from start to finish a dozen times as well as Guth's excellent review, I finally hit the button. Now the wait.

From Jerry at the Pirate's Lair:

"I've already placed your Staintune order with the Aussies.. They generally put it in my hands in about 7-9 days. However.. the last TWO shipments took almost twice that.. Not sure why, but I have asked the Aussies to look into the delay. They were baffled, too...They were supposed to talk with their postal rep.. Fingers crossed.."
 
HikerToo_imp said:
If you guys could rank the sound level of the Staintune...say from 1 to 10, with 1 being the quietest and the stock sound being a 2....where would the Staintune be?
I'd say mine is a 5-6 vs the stock 2 you give it. It is perfect!
 
I made my decision to go with the Staintune based upon the posts here and have zero regrets. The pipe is FLAWLESS and shines like a mirror. The sound is just loud enough to satisfy, but not overwhelm. It is also substantially lighter than the factory piece, plus it looks like it belongs on the bike. You certainly get what you pay for.


I wish a product of similar workmanship and quality was produced domestically, but you all have seen what Two Bros offers. :(
 
Aside from the fact that the Staintune was clearly designed with the aesthetics of the CB1100 in mind, the tone (much more so than the additional volume) is what sold me on this exhaust. I'm honestly not sure how to answer the volume rating question, as I simply don't have enough other comparables to judge by. For me, the Staintune offers enough volume. I doubt that I would appreciate any additional volume. Also, with the Staintune unit, you never need to worry about the need to re-pack the baffle material — a nice bonus in my opinion.
 
Did anyone notice that Pirate's Lair sells a "Silencer" for the Staintune? Has anybody heard the Staintune slip on with the silencer installed? Has anyone bought one for their exhaust?

I have had several exhaust systems on other bikes that have had silencers. It's kind of nice to be able to have the choice of noise levels...
 
Tripod,

You won't need it, plus given the way the Staintune is buttoned up, I have no idea how you would install. In my opinion, it gives you just enough growl to let you know the stocker is gone, a nice deep tone.

Staintune just got it right for this bike.
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Tripod,

You won't need it, plus given the way the Staintune is buttoned up, I have no idea how you would install. In my opinion, it gives you just enough growl to let you know the stocker is gone, a nice deep tone.

Staintune just got it right for this bike.
+1
 
Just installed my Staintune from Pirates Lair today.
Perfect tone, any louder would be obnoxious.
Plus it really matches the aesthetics of the bike.
Motor definitely responds quicker.
:):P:D
 
Mikey350D_imp said:
Just installed my Staintune from Pirates Lair today.
Perfect tone, any louder would be obnoxious.
Plus it really matches the aesthetics of the bike.
Motor definitely responds quicker.
:):P:D
scale of 1 to 10 what is stock #, what is Staintune?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Mikey350D_imp said:
Just installed my Staintune from Pirates Lair today.
Perfect tone, any louder would be obnoxious.
Plus it really matches the aesthetics of the bike.
Motor definitely responds quicker.
:):P:D
scale of 1 to 10 what is stock #, what is Staintune?
IMO, as far as stock slip-ons go, the one on the CB11 is pretty good. I'd give it a 5. Nice shape, good construction, very quiet. It's minuses are it's brick heavy, too long, and the sound has no character or soul.

With the Staintune the CB11 looks much better. It's 4.5 lbs lighter, shorter and smaller and it's proportions fit the bike much better. It's construction quality and finish is off the charts, much better than stock. It's not too loud but it's got a nice deep tone that also fits this bike. The only thing I would change on it would be to give the body a slight flair or cone shape. Not a lot but a little. The Japanese slip ons are all too long for my taste. I'd give the Staintune a 9.5.

Chip
 
I think HikerToo was referring to MikeyDs assertion of quicker throttle response, as in throttle response on the stocker was a 4 and with the staintune a 6....but I don't want to speak for him.
 
I would say the stocker is a 2 or 3: Heavy and too quite.
Staintune is a 8-9 in my book.
Stellar looks and louder, but not too loud.
Produces the tone a in-line 4 should produce
I like the throttle response: usually ride at 3-4k rpm
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think HikerToo was referring to MikeyDs assertion of quicker throttle response, as in throttle response on the stocker was a 4 and with the staintune a 6....but I don't want to speak for him.
Was actually asking about noise level. I have heard the videos but wanted to get their opinion on how much louder it is than stock. I think most people are saying what I suspected, the Staintune is louder than stock, but not too loud as to be annoying.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I think HikerToo was referring to MikeyDs assertion of quicker throttle response, as in throttle response on the stocker was a 4 and with the staintune a 6....but I don't want to speak for him.
Was actually asking about noise level. I have heard the videos but wanted to get their opinion on how much louder it is than stock. I think most people are saying what I suspected, the Staintune is louder than stock, but not too loud as to be annoying.
Was actually asking about noise level. I have heard the videos but wanted to get their opinion on how much louder it is than stock. I think most people are saying what I suspected, the Staintune is louder than stock, but not too loud as to be annoying.

Oh ok sorry, I was confused.

My bad!
 
Has anyone ridden with the Staintune at highway speeds for some distance? Any droning? That to me is one of the downsides to aftermarket exhaust, the dreaded droning...
 
I have ridden for several hours with mine. The exhaust is not loud enough for a drone. Remus's I have had in the past-yes- but this is rather quit at speed. Just enough to let you know the engine is on...
 
Back
Top