Staintune Exhaust

Scoobynut_imp

Been there
Thread starter
My Staintune slip-on arrived this afternoon, so I thought I'd better post up some pics. I'm going to get my bike tomorrow, so it will be a few days before I get it installed. First impressions of the appearance of the pipe are even better than expected. I have a few other brands of custom exhaust on some of my other bikes (Two Bros and Leo Vince), and while they are very nice for mass produced exhausts, this Staintune has a hand-crafted, artisan look about it. It's simply a work of art. The polished stainless looks better than most, if not all, chrome I've ever seen. Even the clamp is stainless and shows the same attention to detail as the muffler. I purchased this from a guy named Brandon in the parts dept. at Sturgis Yamaha/BMW (605-347-2636) and he gave me some good old-fashioned customer service. He also shipped it the 200 miles to my house for free. The exhaust was $899 including tax. Pretty spendy, no doubt, but once I saw it, I felt a lot better about paying that price. I can't wait to hear it!

The box was a little compressed, but there was no damage to the muffler:



Probably because it was so well packed. 3 layers of large bubble wrap and a layer of soft, spongy wrap under the bubble wrap:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune2_zps8f8487d2.jpg.html]

A few shots of the muffler in some natural daylight:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune3_zpse3953b88.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune4_zpsdbf92d20.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune5_zps3275977e.jpg.html]

Closeup of nice, etched Staintune logo:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune7_zps6dd6f3cc.jpg.html]

Closeup of outlet. If you look closely you can see the perforated core. Call me crazy, but I like perforated cores.

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune6_zps5b73fac6.jpg.html]
 
Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?
Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?
I'd be curious about this as well. Nice looking product.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?
Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.


Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.
I was thinking the same thing
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?
I'd be curious about this as well. Nice looking product.
I'd be curious about this as well. Nice looking product.
Guth, I commented on tuning for adding a slip-on in my reply above. I believe the ECU will simply adapt to the greater flow; there shouldn't be any need for additional tuning or remapping.
 
Thread starter
Forgot to mention -- their website claims 7 additional horsepower, but I believe their video claims 6 more horsepower. Either way, that's a pretty healthy gain for just a slip-on.
 
AAAAAAHHHHH! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :D :D :D
Glad to see the build quality meets your expectations. It IS a good looking piece and from the sound clips I've heard, it will transform the CB while still retaining much of the stock appearance. Well worth the price, IMHO.
You must be pretty pumped about taking delivery of your bike today, John.
When you call it a day, give us your riding impressions and I will offer up a toast to your great day. (I noticed the Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio and Jameson's Irish Whisky in the background). :)
Jim
 
I'll come over and WATCH you install it for some of that Jameson's.

Is there any effect on gas milage when mufflers are swapped out from factory equipment?
 
Thread starter
Inline4_imp said:
AAAAAAHHHHH! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :D :D :D
Glad to see the build quality meets your expectations. It IS a good looking piece and from the sound clips I've heard, it will transform the CB while still retaining much of the stock appearance. Well worth the price, IMHO.
You must be pretty pumped about taking delivery of your bike today, John.
When you call it a day, give us your riding impressions and I will offer up a toast to your great day. (I noticed the Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio and Jameson's Irish Whisky in the background). :)
Jim
Inline, I am pumped indeed. If you can pry me out of the garage when I get home, I'll try to give a quick riding impression. The wine is for a lady friend and the Whisky is for an old buddy who stops in twice a year. I'll be slurping a Spaten Optimator double-bock tonight. Hardcore beer drinker here. :cool:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I'll come over and WATCH you install it for some of that Jameson's.

Is there any effect on gas milage when mufflers are swapped out from factory equipment?
Ha, I think that's a better deal for you than for me!

I don't think a slip-on will affect the mileage much if any. It might be hard for me to know as the Staintune will probably get installed in pretty short order, so won't have much time to compare to stock mileage.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I'll come over and WATCH you install it for some of that Jameson's.

Is there any effect on gas milage when mufflers are swapped out from factory equipment?
Ive had 2 bikes I put 4 into 1's on. A Kerker on a 76 Honda CB 750K6 and a Vance and Hines ( remember those guys? ) on a 83 Suzuki GS1100E. My gas mileage went down on both bikes..... but it was probably more due to me twisting the wrist further listening to the pipe, than it was due to the pipe itself ;)
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
My Staintune slip-on arrived this afternoon, so I thought I'd better post up some pics. I'm going to get my bike tomorrow, so it will be a few days before I get it installed. First impressions of the appearance of the pipe are even better than expected. I have a few other brands of custom exhaust on some of my other bikes (Two Bros and Leo Vince), and while they are very nice for mass produced exhausts, this Staintune has a hand-crafted, artisan look about it. It's simply a work of art. The polished stainless looks better than most, if not all, chrome I've ever seen. Even the clamp is stainless and shows the same attention to detail as the muffler. I purchased this from a guy named Brandon in the parts dept. at Sturgis Yamaha/BMW (605-347-2636) and he gave me some good old-fashioned customer service. He also shipped it the 200 miles to my house for free. The exhaust was $899 including tax. Pretty spendy, no doubt, but once I saw it, I felt a lot better about paying that price. I can't wait to hear it!

The box was a little compressed, but there was no damage to the muffler:



Probably because it was so well packed. 3 layers of large bubble wrap and a layer of soft, spongy wrap under the bubble wrap:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune2_zps8f8487d2.jpg.html]

A few shots of the muffler in some natural daylight:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune3_zpse3953b88.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune4_zpsdbf92d20.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune5_zps3275977e.jpg.html]

Closeup of nice, etched Staintune logo:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune7_zps6dd6f3cc.jpg.html]

Closeup of outlet. If you look closely you can see the perforated core. Call me crazy, but I like perforated cores.

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune6_zps5b73fac6.jpg.html]

That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it installed. The only quibble I have with the stocker is that it seems to hang out a little too wide for my taste.
 
Thread starter
GSAviator_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
My Staintune slip-on arrived this afternoon, so I thought I'd better post up some pics. I'm going to get my bike tomorrow, so it will be a few days before I get it installed. First impressions of the appearance of the pipe are even better than expected. I have a few other brands of custom exhaust on some of my other bikes (Two Bros and Leo Vince), and while they are very nice for mass produced exhausts, this Staintune has a hand-crafted, artisan look about it. It's simply a work of art. The polished stainless looks better than most, if not all, chrome I've ever seen. Even the clamp is stainless and shows the same attention to detail as the muffler. I purchased this from a guy named Brandon in the parts dept. at Sturgis Yamaha/BMW (605-347-2636) and he gave me some good old-fashioned customer service. He also shipped it the 200 miles to my house for free. The exhaust was $899 including tax. Pretty spendy, no doubt, but once I saw it, I felt a lot better about paying that price. I can't wait to hear it!

The box was a little compressed, but there was no damage to the muffler:



Probably because it was so well packed. 3 layers of large bubble wrap and a layer of soft, spongy wrap under the bubble wrap:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune2_zps8f8487d2.jpg.html]

A few shots of the muffler in some natural daylight:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune3_zpse3953b88.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune4_zpsdbf92d20.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune5_zps3275977e.jpg.html]

Closeup of nice, etched Staintune logo:

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune7_zps6dd6f3cc.jpg.html]

Closeup of outlet. If you look closely you can see the perforated core. Call me crazy, but I like perforated cores.

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune6_zps5b73fac6.jpg.html]

That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it installed. The only quibble I have with the stocker is that it seems to hang out a little too wide for my taste.

That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it installed. The only quibble I have with the stocker is that it seems to hang out a little too wide for my taste.
Just eyeballing the two, the Staintune seems smaller in every dimension, like it's a 3/4 scale model of the stocker. I hesitate to say it will stick out less before I install it, but I suspect it will. Will keep you posted.
 
Thread starter
I couldn't wait so I installed the Staintune today. Not a very thorough write up, but it's a very easy install.

This thing sounds awesome. If you want to give your CB1100 a little bit of an attitude, this is your muffler. Despite sounding somewhat aggressive, it also sounds classy. I wouldn't classify it as loud compared to some mufflers, but if you are sensitive about 'noise,' you might not like it. It also burbles a bit when you back off the throttle, not loud explosions like you hear on some Harleys, but, well, burbles. I love it. Anyhow, on to the pics:

This should give you a good idea of the difference in size -vs.- the stock muffler.



You have to remove the stock heat shield and transfer it to the Staintune, which already has the mounts for it.

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune9_zps4388f30e.jpg.html]

There are little rubber cushions on the heat shield mounts that were difficult to slide onto the Staintune's similar mounts. The easy solution was to remove them from their homes (as shown in the picture) and place them onto the new mounts (on the Staintune) and then slide the heat shield mini-brackets over them. Problem solved. You'll have to scroll up to see the Staintune mounts as compared to the stock ones. Other than that little thing, the rest of the install was easy-peasy. You use the same muffler hanger bolt that came with the bike. So, slide the new muffler on to the stock collector pipe, loosely mount the rear hanger bolt, tighten the clamp down by the collector, and then do a final tightening of the hanger bolt. If you're worried about dropping the new (or original one for that matter) muffler during the install, place the box it came in directly under where it is to be installed.

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune11_zpsf7c33848.jpg.html]

Installed it mounts nice and tight to the bike. I'd have to say you do gain some cornering clearance due to it being shorter in length and of a smaller diameter. I didn't bother measuring height/distance/cornering angles between the two, however.

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune12_zpsce83b137.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune14_zpsb06a45fa.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/Staintune13_zpsbc587a17.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
How much weight savings?
Ferret, I don't have a scale so I can't give you any definitive answers there, but I did hold them both, one in each hand, and I'd say the Staintune is 5 or 6 lbs. lighter. The stocker isn't quite as heavy as I expected (going by it's sheer size), but it's definitely a good 5 lbs heavier. Disclaimer: these are guesses only, not based on any scientific or statistical evidence.
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Looks way better than the stock exhaust imo. Stock is just too big.
I didn't mind the way the stock pipe looks myself, but now that I have the Staintune on there, I like its looks even better.

BTW, took the bike out on the highway tonight, and the Staintune definitely sharpens throttle response in top gear. 5th gear now feels like 4th used to, no kidding. I'm was already pretty happy with this bike's response at highway speeds, but now I'm pretty damned pleased. :)
 
Back
Top