Staintune Exhaust

redReno_imp said:
My Staintune came in yesterday and I installed it this morning.
The sound is superb and hearing it while I ride is awesome.
I can't wait for a chance to roll onto the freeway and see how it sounds at higher speeds.

When I have time I'll take a video of it and add it to youtube, I'll add the link to the forum.

Swapping them was easy, the only thing that perplexed me was one of the steps on Staintune's fitting instructions.

Step 5. Unclip the servo motor cable at the point it attaches underneath the bike, leaving the cable attached to the standard muffler.

It has a picture but it is hard to make out what is what with the quality and it being in black and white. It does look like something is connected to the stock exhaust though but there was nothing connected to my exhaust.
I didn't really worry about it and continued with the staintune, just wanted to mention this to see if Scoobynut and whoever else has already got theirs and installed it (I can't remember who it was but I know someone else on here has a staintune as well) noticed this step at all.

There really was nothing to it when it came to putting the new staintune on, just making sure to align the hole with the mounting bolts underneath the passenger pegs.


Riding around town a bit doesn't feel that different, torque wise, but the sound does make it a different experience. Hearing the exhaust get louder as I roll on the throttle :D
I think my heat guard is now in a different spot though, I don't remember my heel hitting it where it does now with the stock exhaust on, but I'm not complaining.
This slip on was worth every penny IMHO.

Like Scoobynut mentioned a few weeks ago, the chrome is REALLY nice and I like the appearance of the bike with a shorter/smaller exhaust.
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
 
Yes haha, I'm surprised staintune never redid their video (some of their other videos are really good). Their current video of the CB1100 was uploaded in 2010 I think so they probably don't have the bike anymore.
 
redReno_imp said:
My Staintune came in yesterday and I installed it this morning.
The sound is superb and hearing it while I ride is awesome.
I can't wait for a chance to roll onto the freeway and see how it sounds at higher speeds.

When I have time I'll take a video of it and add it to youtube, I'll add the link to the forum.

Swapping them was easy, the only thing that perplexed me was one of the steps on Staintune's fitting instructions.

Step 5. Unclip the servo motor cable at the point it attaches underneath the bike, leaving the cable attached to the standard muffler.

It has a picture but it is hard to make out what is what with the quality and it being in black and white. It does look like something is connected to the stock exhaust though but there was nothing connected to my exhaust.
I didn't really worry about it and continued with the staintune, just wanted to mention this to see if Scoobynut and whoever else has already got theirs and installed it (I can't remember who it was but I know someone else on here has a staintune as well) noticed this step at all.

There really was nothing to it when it came to putting the new staintune on, just making sure to align the hole with the mounting bolts underneath the passenger pegs.


Riding around town a bit doesn't feel that different, torque wise, but the sound does make it a different experience. Hearing the exhaust get louder as I roll on the throttle :D
I think my heat guard is now in a different spot though, I don't remember my heel hitting it where it does now with the stock exhaust on, but I'm not complaining.
This slip on was worth every penny IMHO.

Like Scoobynut mentioned a few weeks ago, the chrome is REALLY nice and I like the appearance of the bike with a shorter/smaller exhaust.
False alarm, it wasn't the heat guard. :blush:
After getting my fix of the new sound, I actually looked down and saw I was actually resting my heel on the part the pegs are connected to.

...............................

Scoobynut_imp said:
They do sound great don't they? I have about 400 miles on mine now and believe it or not, it sounds even better now than when brand new -- I don't think it's just my imagination, anyways! The sound as you approach 7k rpm turns from throaty growl to racebike howl, but even then the sound volume doesn't really increase, it just changes in tone. I love it. Those of you who are worried that this thing is too loud are probably just a little gun shy remembering the Kerkers and Vance and Hines 4 into 1s of days gone by. It's just not like that IMO. Maybe redreno can comment on that too.

Reno, I believe that servo motor cable is to operate the flap in the exhaust opening that's on Japanese and Australian market bikes, so yeah, that part of the instructions is meaningless for the US bikes. I don't recall seeing that in my instructions, but maybe you got the Aussie version of the instructions.

Glad the install went well for you. I haven't noticed the heat shield touching my foot at all and it didn't seem to be in a different spot after mounting, but I can't be positive. It probably helps that I only wear size 10 shoes!

I checked the clamp down by the collector a couple of times after the install as it seemed to want to loosen a bit after my first few rides. That was probably down to me just not tightening it enough, but just to be sure I put of few drops of blue loctite on the clamp bolt threads and tightened it down a little more. It hasn't budged since then.
Yep, after riding around some more, Scoobynut it right.
The V&H on the NH750 I had was definitely louder.
It was from standing right next to it and its deep tone that had me fooled thinking it was just as loud or louder.

I will say though, revving it up in first sounds sooooooo good. :D
 
Received my Staintune ordered from Pirate's Lair (good folks who kept me updated on progress of getting the muffler from Australia and when they shipped it out to me).

When I lifted the box I was expecting it to be heavier since its stainless steel and was pleasantly surprised that it felt light.

Just unpacking it I could see why it costs more than the usual slip-on. The last one I installed was a Remus Hexacone Titanium-Carbon Fiber on a BMW R1200RT and it was almost as expensive, light, but looked more like a nicely mass produced item.

With the Staintune you can see that its hand-crafted, not easily mass produced and they even bother to stamp the build date on the hanger bracket. Looking it over you get some residue on your hands from the buffing process and can see some of the polish in the crevices. The welds are done by hand, not a robot, then ground down and polished. When you remember that its polished stainless steel and not chrome plated you'll be impressed too.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Thread starter
Yep, what he said.

Huladog_imp said:
Received my Staintune ordered from Pirate's Lair (good folks who kept me updated on progress of getting the muffler from Australia and when they shipped it out to me).

When I lifted the box I was expecting it to be heavier since its stainless steel and was pleasantly surprised that it felt light.

Just unpacking it I could see why it costs more than the usual slip-on. The last one I installed was a Remus Hexacone Titanium-Carbon Fiber on a BMW R1200RT and it was almost as expensive, light, but looked more like a nicely mass produced item.

With the Staintune you can see that its hand-crafted, not easily mass produced and they even bother to stamp the build date on the hanger bracket. Looking it over you get some residue on your hands from the buffing process and can see some of the polish in the crevices. The welds are done by hand, not a robot, then ground down and polished. When you remember that its polished stainless steel and not chrome plated you'll be impressed too.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
wildezt_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
My Staintune came in yesterday and I installed it this morning.
The sound is superb and hearing it while I ride is awesome.
I can't wait for a chance to roll onto the freeway and see how it sounds at higher speeds.

When I have time I'll take a video of it and add it to youtube, I'll add the link to the forum.

Swapping them was easy, the only thing that perplexed me was one of the steps on Staintune's fitting instructions.

Step 5. Unclip the servo motor cable at the point it attaches underneath the bike, leaving the cable attached to the standard muffler.

It has a picture but it is hard to make out what is what with the quality and it being in black and white. It does look like something is connected to the stock exhaust though but there was nothing connected to my exhaust.
I didn't really worry about it and continued with the staintune, just wanted to mention this to see if Scoobynut and whoever else has already got theirs and installed it (I can't remember who it was but I know someone else on here has a staintune as well) noticed this step at all.

There really was nothing to it when it came to putting the new staintune on, just making sure to align the hole with the mounting bolts underneath the passenger pegs.


Riding around town a bit doesn't feel that different, torque wise, but the sound does make it a different experience. Hearing the exhaust get louder as I roll on the throttle :D
I think my heat guard is now in a different spot though, I don't remember my heel hitting it where it does now with the stock exhaust on, but I'm not complaining.
This slip on was worth every penny IMHO.

Like Scoobynut mentioned a few weeks ago, the chrome is REALLY nice and I like the appearance of the bike with a shorter/smaller exhaust.
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
The video is up.
Next time I go riding with some friends, I would like to make another video. Hopefully we can capture the sound better from a different point of view with absolutely no wind.

 
redReno_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
My Staintune came in yesterday and I installed it this morning.
The sound is superb and hearing it while I ride is awesome.
I can't wait for a chance to roll onto the freeway and see how it sounds at higher speeds.

When I have time I'll take a video of it and add it to youtube, I'll add the link to the forum.

Swapping them was easy, the only thing that perplexed me was one of the steps on Staintune's fitting instructions.

Step 5. Unclip the servo motor cable at the point it attaches underneath the bike, leaving the cable attached to the standard muffler.

It has a picture but it is hard to make out what is what with the quality and it being in black and white. It does look like something is connected to the stock exhaust though but there was nothing connected to my exhaust.
I didn't really worry about it and continued with the staintune, just wanted to mention this to see if Scoobynut and whoever else has already got theirs and installed it (I can't remember who it was but I know someone else on here has a staintune as well) noticed this step at all.

There really was nothing to it when it came to putting the new staintune on, just making sure to align the hole with the mounting bolts underneath the passenger pegs.


Riding around town a bit doesn't feel that different, torque wise, but the sound does make it a different experience. Hearing the exhaust get louder as I roll on the throttle :D
I think my heat guard is now in a different spot though, I don't remember my heel hitting it where it does now with the stock exhaust on, but I'm not complaining.
This slip on was worth every penny IMHO.

Like Scoobynut mentioned a few weeks ago, the chrome is REALLY nice and I like the appearance of the bike with a shorter/smaller exhaust.
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
The video is up.
Next time I go riding with some friends, I would like to make another video. Hopefully we can capture the sound better from a different point of view with absolutely no wind.

Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
The video is up.
Next time I go riding with some friends, I would like to make another video. Hopefully we can capture the sound better from a different point of view with absolutely no wind.

Thanks Reno for making this,this is waaaaayyyy better and fun to watch too.. i had to get my headphones on for this,... the Staintune sounds really nice..! no doubt, you are enjoying it...!!
 
redReno_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
My Staintune came in yesterday and I installed it this morning.
The sound is superb and hearing it while I ride is awesome.
I can't wait for a chance to roll onto the freeway and see how it sounds at higher speeds.

When I have time I'll take a video of it and add it to youtube, I'll add the link to the forum.

Swapping them was easy, the only thing that perplexed me was one of the steps on Staintune's fitting instructions.

Step 5. Unclip the servo motor cable at the point it attaches underneath the bike, leaving the cable attached to the standard muffler.

It has a picture but it is hard to make out what is what with the quality and it being in black and white. It does look like something is connected to the stock exhaust though but there was nothing connected to my exhaust.
I didn't really worry about it and continued with the staintune, just wanted to mention this to see if Scoobynut and whoever else has already got theirs and installed it (I can't remember who it was but I know someone else on here has a staintune as well) noticed this step at all.

There really was nothing to it when it came to putting the new staintune on, just making sure to align the hole with the mounting bolts underneath the passenger pegs.


Riding around town a bit doesn't feel that different, torque wise, but the sound does make it a different experience. Hearing the exhaust get louder as I roll on the throttle :D
I think my heat guard is now in a different spot though, I don't remember my heel hitting it where it does now with the stock exhaust on, but I'm not complaining.
This slip on was worth every penny IMHO.

Like Scoobynut mentioned a few weeks ago, the chrome is REALLY nice and I like the appearance of the bike with a shorter/smaller exhaust.
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
The video is up.
Next time I go riding with some friends, I would like to make another video. Hopefully we can capture the sound better from a different point of view with absolutely no wind.

Reno,

Thanks for taking the time to make and put that up. I've already ordered a Staintune so it didn't help me make up my mind but it was nice to hear it while I wait for mine to arrive. Cheers.

Chip
 
4:15 PM - UPS
4:30 PM - Riding w/ my Staintune installed.
Perfect tone and sound.
My SOTP meter says throttle response is quicker. less lag.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
My Staintune came in yesterday and I installed it this morning.
The sound is superb and hearing it while I ride is awesome.
I can't wait for a chance to roll onto the freeway and see how it sounds at higher speeds.

When I have time I'll take a video of it and add it to youtube, I'll add the link to the forum.

Swapping them was easy, the only thing that perplexed me was one of the steps on Staintune's fitting instructions.

Step 5. Unclip the servo motor cable at the point it attaches underneath the bike, leaving the cable attached to the standard muffler.

It has a picture but it is hard to make out what is what with the quality and it being in black and white. It does look like something is connected to the stock exhaust though but there was nothing connected to my exhaust.
I didn't really worry about it and continued with the staintune, just wanted to mention this to see if Scoobynut and whoever else has already got theirs and installed it (I can't remember who it was but I know someone else on here has a staintune as well) noticed this step at all.

There really was nothing to it when it came to putting the new staintune on, just making sure to align the hole with the mounting bolts underneath the passenger pegs.


Riding around town a bit doesn't feel that different, torque wise, but the sound does make it a different experience. Hearing the exhaust get louder as I roll on the throttle :D
I think my heat guard is now in a different spot though, I don't remember my heel hitting it where it does now with the stock exhaust on, but I'm not complaining.
This slip on was worth every penny IMHO.

Like Scoobynut mentioned a few weeks ago, the chrome is REALLY nice and I like the appearance of the bike with a shorter/smaller exhaust.
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
The video is up.
Next time I go riding with some friends, I would like to make another video. Hopefully we can capture the sound better from a different point of view with absolutely no wind.

Reno,

Thanks for taking the time to make and put that up. I've already ordered a Staintune so it didn't help me make up my mind but it was nice to hear it while I wait for mine to arrive. Cheers.

Chip
Reno,

Thanks for taking the time to make and put that up. I've already ordered a Staintune so it didn't help me make up my mind but it was nice to hear it while I wait for mine to arrive. Cheers.

Chip
Is the bike hitting on all four? Maybe its just my sound playback.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
redReno_imp said:
My Staintune came in yesterday and I installed it this morning.
The sound is superb and hearing it while I ride is awesome.
I can't wait for a chance to roll onto the freeway and see how it sounds at higher speeds.

When I have time I'll take a video of it and add it to youtube, I'll add the link to the forum.

Swapping them was easy, the only thing that perplexed me was one of the steps on Staintune's fitting instructions.

Step 5. Unclip the servo motor cable at the point it attaches underneath the bike, leaving the cable attached to the standard muffler.

It has a picture but it is hard to make out what is what with the quality and it being in black and white. It does look like something is connected to the stock exhaust though but there was nothing connected to my exhaust.
I didn't really worry about it and continued with the staintune, just wanted to mention this to see if Scoobynut and whoever else has already got theirs and installed it (I can't remember who it was but I know someone else on here has a staintune as well) noticed this step at all.

There really was nothing to it when it came to putting the new staintune on, just making sure to align the hole with the mounting bolts underneath the passenger pegs.


Riding around town a bit doesn't feel that different, torque wise, but the sound does make it a different experience. Hearing the exhaust get louder as I roll on the throttle :D
I think my heat guard is now in a different spot though, I don't remember my heel hitting it where it does now with the stock exhaust on, but I'm not complaining.
This slip on was worth every penny IMHO.

Like Scoobynut mentioned a few weeks ago, the chrome is REALLY nice and I like the appearance of the bike with a shorter/smaller exhaust.
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
Hey Reno, glad you are digging the new pipe man. When you make that video, could you try to avoid wind noise and take it with a cam having a nice mic.... with all those videos out there with a lot of wind noise.. lets show how its done properly.. :D...!
The video is up.
Next time I go riding with some friends, I would like to make another video. Hopefully we can capture the sound better from a different point of view with absolutely no wind.

Reno,

Thanks for taking the time to make and put that up. I've already ordered a Staintune so it didn't help me make up my mind but it was nice to hear it while I wait for mine to arrive. Cheers.

Chip
Reno,

Thanks for taking the time to make and put that up. I've already ordered a Staintune so it didn't help me make up my mind but it was nice to hear it while I wait for mine to arrive. Cheers.

Chip
Is the bike hitting on all four? Maybe its just my sound playback.
Reno,

Thanks for taking the time to make and put that up. I've already ordered a Staintune so it didn't help me make up my mind but it was nice to hear it while I wait for mine to arrive. Cheers.

Chip
Is the bike hitting on all four? Maybe its just my sound playback.
Sounds fine to me.
 
Gentlemen,

My Staintune was ordered on 5-28-14 and it arrived today 7-2-13. 4 1/2 weeks as they were out of stock when I ordered and I had to wait for the next run. I'll blame the delay on Scoobynut as he caused a run on this item and cleaned them out. Staintune informed me that numerous improvements were made to this last run of CB11 slip ons and that this is a much better pipe than the ones they made a week or more ago.

:-)

Well, ah, actually, it's the same but it looks great and I'll put it on late tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

My Staintune was ordered on 5-28-14 and it arrived today 7-2-13. 4 1/2 weeks as they were out of stock when I ordered and I had to wait for the next run. I'll blame the delay on Scoobynut as he caused a run on this item and cleaned them out. Staintune informed me that numerous improvements were made to this last run of CB11 slip ons and that this is a much better pipe than the ones they made a week or more ago.

:-)

Well, ah, actually, it's the same but it looks great and I'll put it on late tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Chip
Heh, wiseguy, you almost had me there! I was instantly trying to think of what improvements they could've possibly made...

However, I do believe you about Staintune running out of stock. It's a great product that deserves to sell well, so I'm glad to hear it.

We all look forward to hearing your impressions once you install yours.
 
Gentlemen,

I put my new Staintune on yesterday afternoon and went for a ride last night. First, as mentioned by others, the quality and workmanship of their product surpasses that of any other motorcycle exhaust system I've purchased (at least 20 over the last 40 years). The stock system is very well made too but it's unpolished in areas not visible where the Staintune is brilliantly polished everywhere. The up stop for the CB's center stand is welded to and part of the slip on so it's important that the slip on is robust enough to take that blow repeatabely as the center stand spring snaps the stand up against that stop. The Staintune is noticeably stouter than the stock piece and it's center stand stop is very well braced. The exhaust flow through the stock slip on has the gasses making two complete 180 degree changes of direction as it flows to the back of the pipe, then forward to the front, and then into the center and back to the rear where it exits the pipe end. The flow through the Staintune is a straight shot through with no restriction or change of direction. The path through the Staintune is about 1/4 the distance as the path through the stock system.

My impression of the sound. It's quieter than I thought it would be but it's got a deep rich sound that's very nice. It fits the character of this bike well. This system does not change the look of the bike and everybody that sees it thinks it is the stock muffler. Great quality, great sound, and unlike most other systems it does not require removing the center stand. I'm very satisfied with this slip on. Now I just need to figure out how to do away with the ugly catalitic converter. Cheers.

Chip
 
While I do like what Staintune offers the best, Vance & Hines will likely offer a slip-on, as well as a full system...I'll wait to see what they come up with before making the decision.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
While I do like what Staintune offers the best, Vance & Hines will likely offer a slip-on, as well as a full system...I'll wait to see what they come up with before making the decision.
The Nighthawk 750 with the V&H full system I had, was definitely louder than my CB11 with the Staintune.
 
darmahman_imp said:
What we need to do is bug Staintune to make a header!
I thought about that too. I know the catalytic converter creates some back pressure and I know the bikes tune is probably set up for that. There are lots of full exhaust systems offered without converters so maybe it's no big deal. I'm looking into it.

Chip
redReno_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
While I do like what Staintune offers the best, Vance & Hines will likely offer a slip-on, as well as a full system...I'll wait to see what they come up with before making the decision.
The Nighthawk 750 with the V&H full system I had, was definitely louder than my CB11 with the Staintune.
Red,

The Nighthawk doesn't have a catalytic converter in front of it's muffler and that's why it's louder. If I have a nice header made without that big blocky converter the Staintune will be louder too. When I took the converters off of my GT it was a lot louder. The converters are fairly effective mufflers.

Chip
 
I just installed mine today. It took longer to unpack it that it did to put it on the bike. What a piece of art. This is the pipe the bike should have had from the factory. Well worth the price :)

Jerry from Pirate's lair rocks. Best price and had it in a week!
 
Back
Top