Negotiating OTD price with Dealer

Yeah, I also had an XS650 twin for awhile too. The only thing that I didn't like about the twins was the vibration. At about 70K miles, my '80 Kaw was actually losing parts due to metal fatigue. On one 750 mile day, my wrist went completely numb and I couldn't hold the throttle open anymore :-/

Once I took the plunge and got my first, butter smooth inline 4, I never looked back :D
 
Let's take this twin talk to another thread, so as not to hijack this one any further.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Let's take this twin talk to another thread, so as not to hijack this one any further.
AS many have already pointed out - you have put the dealer in a great position with a $500 deposit on a pre order 2014 bike that is not on the showroom floor. No incentive to negotiate. There will be virtually ZERO difference between the 2013 and 2014 model except for color.
I chose to buy the 2013 off the showroom floor. Did an internet search and made some phone calls and purchased mine from BOB's House of Honda in Jackson TN (fyi ...I live in Texas). Paid $10,100 out the door. Then took off the tank, front fender and side cover plates to have painted the electric Goldwing blue (2013 color). Also ordered the fairing from Japan and had it painted to match. Total cost of custom paint and three coats of gel coat $750 which puts me in at just under $11k with a custom color. Also added the Staintune pipe from Australia and had the headers ceramic coated with the black satin for a stealth look. Total package is awesome. Right now bike is still in Tennessee but will post pics in a couple of weeks when I pick it up.
Having bought a number of bikes over the years my rule of thumb is that if I have to pay full price it is MSP...out the door. There is always about $1500 in dealer profit at MSP but as with all things in this world HOW MUCH do you want it. It may be that in your area the dealer knows that if you do not pay his price another customer will.
Ride Safe
Mike Neal
Custom Four Banger from Texas
 
I'm glad I've got a good dealer. If I'm in the market for a bike he looks it up on the computer which shows the pricing (retail, invoice, etc) right in front of me. He's in Kentucky and I'm in Ohio, so he prices the bike $200.00 above his cost, with no set up fees and I pay him, and I go get a title and pay the taxes myself. I'd have to wait a week or so to get the title if they do it, so I do it myself. He makes money, I never pay retail and everyone's happy!
 
Mike Neal there will be virtually zero difference in 2013 or 2014 STANDARDs... EXCEPT for the 6 speed transmission from what I understand

There is a hell of a lot of difference between the 2013 STANDARDs and the 2014 DELUXE models in the U.S.

And an even bigger difference in the 2013 STANDARDS and the 2014 EXs in other parts of the world.

Just to clear things up
 
mininsx_imp said:
I'm glad I've got a good dealer. If I'm in the market for a bike he looks it up on the computer which shows the pricing (retail, invoice, etc) right in front of me. He's in Kentucky and I'm in Ohio, so he prices the bike $200.00 above his cost, with no set up fees and I pay him, and I go get a title and pay the taxes myself. I'd have to wait a week or so to get the title if they do it, so I do it myself. He makes money, I never pay retail and everyone's happy!
makes you wonder what his cost REALLY is. $200 above cost wouldn't pay someone to uncrate it, put in the battery, and fill it with gas. After losing money on every sale what's he do....... make up for it in volume?
 
Deanohh_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
I'm glad I've got a good dealer. If I'm in the market for a bike he looks it up on the computer which shows the pricing (retail, invoice, etc) right in front of me. He's in Kentucky and I'm in Ohio, so he prices the bike $200.00 above his cost, with no set up fees and I pay him, and I go get a title and pay the taxes myself. I'd have to wait a week or so to get the title if they do it, so I do it myself. He makes money, I never pay retail and everyone's happy!
makes you wonder what his cost REALLY is. $200 above cost wouldn't pay someone to uncrate it, put in the battery, and fill it with gas. After losing money on every sale what's he do....... make up for it in volume?
makes you wonder what his cost REALLY is. $200 above cost wouldn't pay someone to uncrate it, put in the battery, and fill it with gas. After losing money on every sale what's he do....... make up for it in volume?
That's exactly what he does. He's like the Walmart of Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealers. For instance, the last new bike I bought there was a '09 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition, retail price $8099.00. He sold it to me for $6884.00. A couple of years ago I went there and crossed the street to his warehouse and it was full of Runes. He was buying them from other dealers who couldn't move them and selling them for $14,000. If he'd had a blue one I would have bought one, but for some reason most of them were black. They never charge me retail for parts, either.
 
mininsx, I believe you have indicated that you paid $8700 for your used CB1100. So by what your dealer is telling you, he actually gave someone $8500 for that bike?
 
Yes, I've wandered as well about some of this dealer invoice stuff. I know there are hold backs and incentives which add to the car dealer profits. I would assume bikes the same.

The statement that selling bikes for a "real" profit of only $200 wouldn't cover the cost of assembly is correct.

Don't know the business. I am sure there are folks here that do but I don't believe anyone is selling motorcycles and routinely only making $200 a pop.

Walk into any dealership and count the number of bodies there drawing a paycheck and tell me that math works. Just doesn't compute.

I would think a dealer would have to make in the neighborhood of 20% on most all sales minimum?
 
Dealers have more hidden money on new bikes than even they know. There's dealer sales incentive plans, pre-dealer cost points, yada yada yada. That's why they can sell a new '08 in 2013 and still make money on it, after paying "floor-plan" financing on the inventory for four years.
.
Find a dealer you like with a good service department, and make s deal that you feel is fair. Somebody will always pay less or more than you, so don't sweat it.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Dealers have more hidden money on new bikes than even they know. There's dealer sales incentive plans, pre-dealer cost points, yada yada yada. That's why they can sell a new '08 in 2013 and still make money on it, after paying "floor-plan" financing on the inventory for four years.
.
Find a dealer you like with a good service department, and make s deal that you feel is fair. Somebody will always pay less or more than you, so don't sweat it.
I agree, I probably pay more then I should but I am treated like royalty at the local shop. If it takes a hundred here and there for it I am willing.

Some people seem to think that "car" shopping is a contact sport. If that's what floats your boat go for it. I am in business and I remember those who have not been reasonable with me. I wouldn't expect any other business to be any different.
 
I would not pay more than MSRP out the door, total for ANY motorcycle. My new 2013 CB1100 cost $10,000 out the door total including everything, so I guess I over paid by a buck, according to my rule of thumb. Offer them MSRP OTD and leave them with your phone number. They will call back.
 
Guth_imp said:
mininsx, I believe you have indicated that you paid $8700 for your used CB1100. So by what your dealer is telling you, he actually gave someone $8500 for that bike?
I doubt he did that. On my CB1100, a guy bought it, rode it 160 miles and didn't like it and traded it in on a new Suzuki Burgman scooter. I know what he did on my deal when I traded my Vulcan in, though: I paid $6884 for it new, and he gave me $4400 on trade. I couldn't pass it up.
 
Wow 160 miles. Older fella I assume since he ended up with a scooter. Shame, he barely gave it one tank of fuel chance. Nostalgia probably drew him in but the reality was not as good as the memory I am assuming.

Do you know the history on the bike? Just curious.
 
I decide what I'm willing to pay and make my offer as the otd price. If they can't do it I go somewhere else

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
Wow 160 miles. Older fella I assume since he ended up with a scooter. Shame, he barely gave it one tank of fuel chance. Nostalgia probably drew him in but the reality was not as good as the memory I am assuming.

Do you know the history on the bike? Just curious.
With only 160 miles on it, it didn't have much of a history! I put around 10 on it just on the test ride! :biker:
 
banjobart_imp said:
I would not pay more than MSRP out the door, total for ANY motorcycle. My new 2013 CB1100 cost $10,000 out the door total including everything, so I guess I over paid by a buck, according to my rule of thumb. Offer them MSRP OTD and leave them with your phone number. They will call back.
I think it depends where you live too, if the area has a lot of high paying jobs prices tend to stay higher....
List of Michigan locations by per capita income - Wikipedia

List of U.S. states and territories by income - Wikipedia
 
I received $3700 on my trade which was actual wholesale value for my old bike according to NADA and the dealer dropped the setup and freight charges. I paid $6200 out the door, cash. It took some negotiations to reach this deal. Be firm but reasonable with your counter offers.
 
Back
Top