2021 Kawasaki W800...blue

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
I purchased a new left-over '21 W800 a few weeks ago, and then it promptly rained for a week, but it hit 83 degrees this afternoon, barely a cloud in the sky...so a good chance to introduce "Blue", with Mt. Hood in the background giving the welcome:

c7d3ac2d23bab378b0e756f1cf42e220.jpg


Been a long time coming. One of the reasons I originally became interested in the CB1100 back around 2014 was that I had spent two years prior looking for a 2000 or 2001 Kawasaki W650. I loved both the 2000 silver / blue tank and the '01 green 'n cream. I just wasn't quick enough on a few nicely priced ones, and others were priced too high, or too far away...just never happened, so I turned my attention to the CB1100.

ea485b6b6ca774f540804e97134474ee.jpg


Just over two years ago, I bought a left-over 2020 W800 café (brown), and while it was fun for a year, the handle-bars were the forward ones, and not very conducive to all day riding. I was able to sell it for what I bought it for after 4 thousand miles. Tried the Royal Enfield INT650, wonderful bike, 7k miles. But both of these I knew were going to be short term bikes--and they were. Very fun to satisfy one's curiosity, but the standard W800 was still on my mind.

995e84b212a542b518a43dbb704165eb.jpg


Only trouble was, nearly all the ones available were the 2020 or the 2022 models...which are both red. I just couldn't deal with two red classic motorycles, and what I really wanted was the 2021 blue.

053427c5e7667a68193c202bd9a17365.jpg


There was one used blue '21 available at a dealership about 2 hours away. I went to look at it, and while it only had 350 miles on it, it looked like it had sat outside a lot, even some rusty spots on the chain. They wanted too much for it and plus I still had the RE and didn't feel ready mentally to pull the trigger. Looked and looked some more...plenty of red '20s and '22's, just a few blues but far, far away.

2b1ae4e4a9bece4ec3ea0d50bb81917f.jpg


After a sublime trip to San Diego on the RE, I felt it was time to move on from it, and found a buyer. Now I had money in hand and I kept searching...Cycletrader, CL and Facebook market place. I ended up typing "w800 for sale" and the search brought up "motohunt"...never heard of it. But a few pages down and there was a brand new blue...4 hours away from me in Port Angeles, Washington.

812a071fa391b4622bba076a15823dba.jpg


A salesman confirmed for me they still had the bike, and I asked about the MSRP of 9200. He said he could discount that. I had already received a "best price" quote for a red one from a local Kawi dealer at $7300 and I told him that, but I preferred the blue. We agreed on 7 even. Two Saturdays ago, I was on the road by 530am, arrived at 930, bike loaded before 1030 and home by 3p. And then it rained a week sold, so I couldn't even ride it.

Gratutious Mt. Hood shot as I stopped for photos...
c68233279a05234833175ecb8d7af7c8.jpg


It feels good to be back on a W800. Parallel twin, 360 crank...I think that means 2 cyclinders go up / down and the same time...true? No matter...it's got a cool vibe and feels fun to ride.

Got an approving stare from this little guy as I stopped so we could admire each other.
e37f072667a615cbd8794ddd2a2a9676.jpg


Air cooled, classy lines, nice build quaility, similar to the CB1100 in a number of ways.

1035178689cbecce0e6b500433051da9.jpg


My career is winding down, and in 2-3 years--due to downsizing issues--I may have to decide between which to keep: the CB1100 or the W800? The plan is to put plenty of miles on them until then so I can make the "right" decision. Hmmm...it might come down to blue vs. red.
 
Congrats pdedse, nice looking bike
 
Sweet pdedse. I do like the looks and sound of the W800. The blue is classy. The lump is beautiful.

I reckon the souls between the CB1100 and W800 are complement enough that it lures you into riding the other one all the time. A good place to be, unless you must down-size to one.

If I could comfortably fit on the W800, I would likely pick the W800 in my eldest riding years.
 
Congrats pdedse, a real beauty!!
Very important approval from alpaca :)
Safe riding.
Is it going to be a longer keeper or just temporary??
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats pdedse, a real beauty!!
Very important approval from alpaca :)
Safe riding.
Is it going to be a longer keeper or just temporary??
pdedse_imp said:
I purchased a new left-over '21 W800 a few weeks ago, and then it promptly rained for a week, but it hit 83 degrees this afternoon, barely a cloud in the sky...so a good chance to introduce "Blue", with Mt. Hood in the background giving the welcome:

c7d3ac2d23bab378b0e756f1cf42e220.jpg


Been a long time coming. One of the reasons I originally became interested in the CB1100 back around 2014 was that I had spent two years prior looking for a 2000 or 2001 Kawasaki W650. I loved both the 2000 silver / blue tank and the '01 green 'n cream. I just wasn't quick enough on a few nicely priced ones, and others were priced too high, or too far away...just never happened, so I turned my attention to the CB1100.

ea485b6b6ca774f540804e97134474ee.jpg


Just over two years ago, I bought a left-over 2020 W800 café (brown), and while it was fun for a year, the handle-bars were the forward ones, and not very conducive to all day riding. I was able to sell it for what I bought it for after 4 thousand miles. Tried the Royal Enfield INT650, wonderful bike, 7k miles. But both of these I knew were going to be short term bikes--and they were. Very fun to satisfy one's curiosity, but the standard W800 was still on my mind.

995e84b212a542b518a43dbb704165eb.jpg


Only trouble was, nearly all the ones available were the 2020 or the 2022 models...which are both red. I just couldn't deal with two red classic motorycles, and what I really wanted was the 2021 blue.

053427c5e7667a68193c202bd9a17365.jpg


There was one used blue '21 available at a dealership about 2 hours away. I went to look at it, and while it only had 350 miles on it, it looked like it had sat outside a lot, even some rusty spots on the chain. They wanted too much for it and plus I still had the RE and didn't feel ready mentally to pull the trigger. Looked and looked some more...plenty of red '20s and '22's, just a few blues but far, far away.

2b1ae4e4a9bece4ec3ea0d50bb81917f.jpg


After a sublime trip to San Diego on the RE, I felt it was time to move on from it, and found a buyer. Now I had money in hand and I kept searching...Cycletrader, CL and Facebook market place. I ended up typing "w800 for sale" and the search brought up "motohunt"...never heard of it. But a few pages down and there was a brand new blue...4 hours away from me in Port Angeles, Washington.

812a071fa391b4622bba076a15823dba.jpg


A salesman confirmed for me they still had the bike, and I asked about the MSRP of 9200. He said he could discount that. I had already received a "best price" quote for a red one from a local Kawi dealer at $7300 and I told him that, but I preferred the blue. We agreed on 7 even. Two Saturdays ago, I was on the road by 530am, arrived at 930, bike loaded before 1030 and home by 3p. And then it rained a week sold, so I couldn't even ride it.

Gratutious Mt. Hood shot as I stopped for photos...
c68233279a05234833175ecb8d7af7c8.jpg


It feels good to be back on a W800. Parallel twin, 360 crank...I think that means 2 cyclinders go up / down and the same time...true? No matter...it's got a cool vibe and feels fun to ride.

Got an approving stare from this little guy as I stopped so we could admire each other.
e37f072667a615cbd8794ddd2a2a9676.jpg


Air cooled, classy lines, nice build quaility, similar to the CB1100 in a number of ways.

1035178689cbecce0e6b500433051da9.jpg


My career is winding down, and in 2-3 years--due to downsizing issues--I may have to decide between which to keep: the CB1100 or the W800? The plan is to put plenty of miles on them until then so I can make the "right" decision. Hmmm...it might come down to blue vs. red.
Sounds like to keep.
 
Lovely bike pdedse.
 
So you finally got what you wanted. Congratulations! She’s very pretty! I still love my Interceptor, but making a trip as long as yours on it would no doubt change that…
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
So you finally got what you wanted. Congratulations! She’s very pretty! I still love my Interceptor, but making a trip as long as yours on it would no doubt change that…
Indeed.

a1afce36357343b17ad60b10dca8fa4d.jpg
 
Congratulations, pdedse.That is a very beautiful bike with classic lines. I am glad you found what you wanted, finally.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the comments. I don't have any local friends that are into motorcycles, so it's nice to be able to share photos with forum folks. All three of my middle-of-the-States based brothers currently or used to ride motorcycles. I've been begging them since forever to visit me in Oregon, trying to tempt them with fun motorcycle rides. They all are home-bodies, but one can hope.

peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats pdedse, a real beauty!!
Very important approval from alpaca :)
Safe riding.
Is it going to be a longer keeper or just temporary??
"My name is Al Paca and I approve of this bike".

Internet says there are over 17,000 alpacas in Oregon and that OR has over 25% of the llama population in the U.S. You see them all over in the surrounding area on small farms. Almost makes me feel like I don't even have to ride to S. America one day.


peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats pdedse, a real beauty!!
Very important approval from alpaca :)
Safe riding.
Is it going to be a longer keeper or just temporary??
My wife has been a good sport with my 3 year exploration of same number of classic bikes. She doesn't necessarily understand why I want both the CB and the W ("they could be twins", she observes..."hola! la W es azul, la honda es roja", I counter) but she also knows I'm enthusiastic about bikes. Having said that, I don't want to overdo it. So the buy-sell, rinse, repeat experiment is complete.
Gone in 60_imp said:
So you finally got what you wanted. Congratulations! She’s very pretty! I still love my Interceptor, but making a trip as long as yours on it would no doubt change that…
As long as you start your long ride north on your INTERCEPTOR you'll be fine! (so you refuse to call it INT? haha).
 
Congrats Pd!! I love that blue.

I also like alpaca sweaters. Jus sayin.
 
Your W is definitely eye candy PD! Congratulations!
I saw a W in my local Kawasaki dealer and I have to admit, if I didn’t have my CB1100, it would be in my garage now.
Question, I looked up the W’s specs sheet and it weight is about 42 lbs than the CB1100 standard. Is that noticeable when riding at very low speeds or moving the bike around of the garage?
I asked that because I have no experience with other modern day motorcycles.
 
Congrats on your W pdedse! It's a cool color and so much fun to ride always in the powerband! Easy to ride and plenty of torque. You had your cafe when we met up for a ride a while back. suhawk should take one out for a demo ride. The pre owned W650 I ride is always so much fun and closest to the garage door. Enjoy the rides!
 
pdedse_imp said:
Thanks for the comments. I don't have any local friends that are into motorcycles, so it's nice to be able to share photos with forum folks. All three of my middle-of-the-States based brothers currently or used to ride motorcycles. I've been begging them since forever to visit me in Oregon, trying to tempt them with fun motorcycle rides. They all are home-bodies, but one can hope.

peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats pdedse, a real beauty!!
Very important approval from alpaca :)
Safe riding.
Is it going to be a longer keeper or just temporary??
"My name is Al Paca and I approve of this bike".

Internet says there are over 17,000 alpacas in Oregon and that OR has over 25% of the llama population in the U.S. You see them all over in the surrounding area on small farms. Almost makes me feel like I don't even have to ride to S. America one day.


peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats pdedse, a real beauty!!
Very important approval from alpaca :)
Safe riding.
Is it going to be a longer keeper or just temporary??
My wife has been a good sport with my 3 year exploration of same number of classic bikes. She doesn't necessarily understand why I want both the CB and the W ("they could be twins", she observes..."hola! la W es azul, la honda es roja", I counter) but she also knows I'm enthusiastic about bikes. Having said that, I don't want to overdo it. So the buy-sell, rinse, repeat experiment is complete.
Gone in 60_imp said:
So you finally got what you wanted. Congratulations! She’s very pretty! I still love my Interceptor, but making a trip as long as yours on it would no doubt change that…
As long as you start your long ride north on your INTERCEPTOR you'll be fine! (so you refuse to call it INT? haha).
1) very cool bike, good choice, I recomm to keep them both as long as you can
2) thanks for sharing with us,
3) what do you mean "no local" m/c buddies -> go out, find them, they are everywhere, in every state, every town, on every farm. And if yo can't find them go to a "local" forum like the pnwriders, start chatting and see where they meet
;)
 
The Gecko_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Thanks for the comments. I don't have any local friends that are into motorcycles, so it's nice to be able to share photos with forum folks. All three of my middle-of-the-States based brothers currently or used to ride motorcycles. I've been begging them since forever to visit me in Oregon, trying to tempt them with fun motorcycle rides. They all are home-bodies, but one can hope.

peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats pdedse, a real beauty!!
Very important approval from alpaca :)
Safe riding.
Is it going to be a longer keeper or just temporary??
"My name is Al Paca and I approve of this bike".

Internet says there are over 17,000 alpacas in Oregon and that OR has over 25% of the llama population in the U.S. You see them all over in the surrounding area on small farms. Almost makes me feel like I don't even have to ride to S. America one day.


peterbaron_imp said:
Congrats pdedse, a real beauty!!
Very important approval from alpaca :)
Safe riding.
Is it going to be a longer keeper or just temporary??
My wife has been a good sport with my 3 year exploration of same number of classic bikes. She doesn't necessarily understand why I want both the CB and the W ("they could be twins", she observes..."hola! la W es azul, la honda es roja", I counter) but she also knows I'm enthusiastic about bikes. Having said that, I don't want to overdo it. So the buy-sell, rinse, repeat experiment is complete.
Gone in 60_imp said:
So you finally got what you wanted. Congratulations! She’s very pretty! I still love my Interceptor, but making a trip as long as yours on it would no doubt change that…
As long as you start your long ride north on your INTERCEPTOR you'll be fine! (so you refuse to call it INT? haha).
1) very cool bike, good choice, I recomm to keep them both as long as you can
2) thanks for sharing with us,
3) what do you mean "no local" m/c buddies -> go out, find them, they are everywhere, in every state, every town, on every farm. And if yo can't find them go to a "local" forum like the pnwriders, start chatting and see where they meet
;)
That would be an ideal plan for sure.
 
cooldrum_imp said:
Congrats on your W pdedse! It's a cool color and so much fun to ride always in the powerband! Easy to ride and plenty of torque. You had your cafe when we met up for a ride a while back. suhawk should take one out for a demo ride. The pre owned W650 I ride is always so much fun and closest to the garage door. Enjoy the rides!
I can’t do that. I afraid that I may like the W. No room in my stable for another motorcycle. :dodgy:
 
suhawk305_imp said:
cooldrum_imp said:
Congrats on your W pdedse! It's a cool color and so much fun to ride always in the powerband! Easy to ride and plenty of torque. You had your cafe when we met up for a ride a while back. suhawk should take one out for a demo ride. The pre owned W650 I ride is always so much fun and closest to the garage door. Enjoy the rides!
I can’t do that. I afraid that I may like the W. No room in my stable for another motorcycle. :dodgy:
That's what I used to say when I just had the one.

Now, there are three (and still no garage).
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
cooldrum_imp said:
Congrats on your W pdedse! It's a cool color and so much fun to ride always in the powerband! Easy to ride and plenty of torque. You had your cafe when we met up for a ride a while back. suhawk should take one out for a demo ride. The pre owned W650 I ride is always so much fun and closest to the garage door. Enjoy the rides!
I can’t do that. I afraid that I may like the W. No room in my stable for another motorcycle. :dodgy:
That's what I used to say when I just had the one.

Now, there are three (and still no garage).
That's what I used to say when I just had the one.

..............
^^ +1 ^^
...suhawk, you need to join Team of 2+ :D
 
Back
Top