If you are an older rider, what do you wear riding your 1100?

The Spaceman_imp said:
As a Southern Gentleman, I usually ride wearing a white plantation-style suit, a wide-brimmed hat (also usually white) and tenpenny shoes. For accessories, a string or bow tie, a silver belt, and a full goatee are always appropriate. Socks are optional, underdrawers are NOT. Avoid gold trimmings. They are, quite simply, tacky.
Are you the one with the KFC delivery box on the back? :)

Cheers
 
38 here and living in FL so gear is a constant struggle for me. Most days I wear Black Shoei 1100 full face with tinted screen, black revit airwave jacket, black revit monster gloves, dark jeans, black revit boots.
 
jimigalahad_imp said:
38 here and living in FL so gear is a constant struggle for me. Most days I wear Black Shoei 1100 full face with tinted screen, black revit airwave jacket, black revit monster gloves, dark jeans, black revit boots.

Wow, I would think that black outfit would be hot in Florida. Have you considered a white helmet, silver air mesh ventilated/ armored jacket and pants, and silver gloves to reflect some of that sun away, and vented boots.... unless the heat doesn't bother you.
 
I have a variety of jackets and riding trousers, all black, and all of which have armor. I tend to wear a layer more than the average guy, as I get cold quick. I also have Bonn armor undergarments to wear with jeans. I rarely go anywhere without gear, save for a test- ride around the neighborhood or, in the summer, the one mile to the beach, with a beach chair strapped to my back.
 
The ferret_imp said:
jimigalahad_imp said:
38 here and living in FL so gear is a constant struggle for me. Most days I wear Black Shoei 1100 full face with tinted screen, black revit airwave jacket, black revit monster gloves, dark jeans, black revit boots.

Wow, I would think that black outfit would be hot in Florida. Have you considered a white helmet, silver air mesh ventilated/ armored jacket and pants, and silver gloves to reflect some of that sun away, and vented boots.... unless the heat doesn't bother you.
Yeah, my next set of gear will definitely be light colored and probably hi-viz. Money is a bit tight to buy another full set of good gear though so it's going to be a hot summer.
 
dancinkozmo just wait, when you are in your 60s you won't look like that:s
I always wear a Shoei Qwest Full face helmet, (I don't like flip up or
open face anymore).I have a lot of jackets, mostly First Gear,
but also tourmaster and two mesh jackets First Gear and one Alpinestar. . I tend to where only jeans but when I am out for a
whole day I have two overpants with armor . And Alpinestar boots.
(another customer return)
Being in the biss. you see and hear about way to many bad crashs
not to wear gear all the time.
I always have at least 2-3 pairs of gloves with me, I have a nice pair
of Held gloves but tend to wear Olympia even though they don't protect you as well.
 
On the CB... Tourmaster silver/black mesh jacket with zip in / zip out liner. Black Shoei Modular full face helmet. Harley gloves... air mesh for summer, light leather for spring/fall and heavy leather for winter. Timberland waterproof boots. Up in Georgia, I have a a Harley leather jacket, chaps, and Modular Harley full face helmet for the Superglide and a Blue/Silver mesh jacket with liner when I ride my KLR. I wear the Harley helmet on the KLR and jeans and boots with both. I do need to get a pair of Adventure Boots for the KLR... concerned with ankle injury's if I was to take a dump in the woods.
 
ride4now_imp said:
On the CB... Tourmaster silver/black mesh jacket with zip in / zip out liner. Black Shoei Modular full face helmet. Harley gloves... air mesh for summer, light leather for spring/fall and heavy leather for winter. Timberland waterproof boots. Up in Georgia, I have a a Harley leather jacket, chaps, and Modular Harley full face helmet for the Superglide and a Blue/Silver mesh jacket with liner when I ride my KLR. I wear the Harley helmet on the KLR and jeans and boots with both. I do need to get a pair of Adventure Boots for the KLR... concerned with ankle injury's if I was to take a dump in the woods.
I'd strongly suggest a re-write of this last tidbit. :)

One time after returning from a camping trip — our first with our young son, we asked him what was his favorite part of the trip. His response was immediate: pooping in the woods. I can't recall what type of footwear he was sporting.
 
ride4now_imp said:
On the CB... Tourmaster silver/black mesh jacket with zip in / zip out liner. Black Shoei Modular full face helmet. Harley gloves... air mesh for summer, light leather for spring/fall and heavy leather for winter. Timberland waterproof boots. Up in Georgia, I have a a Harley leather jacket, chaps, and Modular Harley full face helmet for the Superglide and a Blue/Silver mesh jacket with liner when I ride my KLR. I wear the Harley helmet on the KLR and jeans and boots with both. I do need to get a pair of Adventure Boots for the KLR... concerned with ankle injury's if I was to take a dump in the woods.
Wow, that's quite a dump...........too much fiber :D
 
Guth_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
On the CB... Tourmaster silver/black mesh jacket with zip in / zip out liner. Black Shoei Modular full face helmet. Harley gloves... air mesh for summer, light leather for spring/fall and heavy leather for winter. Timberland waterproof boots. Up in Georgia, I have a a Harley leather jacket, chaps, and Modular Harley full face helmet for the Superglide and a Blue/Silver mesh jacket with liner when I ride my KLR. I wear the Harley helmet on the KLR and jeans and boots with both. I do need to get a pair of Adventure Boots for the KLR... concerned with ankle injury's if I was to take a dump in the woods.
I'd strongly suggest a re-write of this last tidbit. :)

One time after returning from a camping trip — our first with our young son, we asked him what was his favorite part of the trip. His response was immediate: pooping in the woods. I can't recall what type of footwear he was sporting.
:rofl:

Guth if we ever get together over a cold one and a cup of hot tea I will tell you about my bathroom experience on the tundra of Alaska... well, if you care to hear it, but it's pretty funny.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
On the CB... Tourmaster silver/black mesh jacket with zip in / zip out liner. Black Shoei Modular full face helmet. Harley gloves... air mesh for summer, light leather for spring/fall and heavy leather for winter. Timberland waterproof boots. Up in Georgia, I have a a Harley leather jacket, chaps, and Modular Harley full face helmet for the Superglide and a Blue/Silver mesh jacket with liner when I ride my KLR. I wear the Harley helmet on the KLR and jeans and boots with both. I do need to get a pair of Adventure Boots for the KLR... concerned with ankle injury's if I was to take a dump in the woods.
I'd strongly suggest a re-write of this last tidbit. :)

One time after returning from a camping trip — our first with our young son, we asked him what was his favorite part of the trip. His response was immediate: pooping in the woods. I can't recall what type of footwear he was sporting.
:rofl:

Guth if we ever get together over a cold one and a cup of hot tea I will tell you about my bathroom experience on the tundra of Alaska... well, if you care to hear it, but it's pretty funny.
All I can say is that it's a real shame that you won't be passing through this neck of the woods on your upcoming west coast trip. I'm guessing that story is just the tip of the iceberg (so to speak). :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
davidsargee_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Older = 55+ I guess.

What are draggin jeans?

I was thinking about one of those synthetic fiber jackets with the dayglo and all those pockets. The salesman at Gearworld tried to dissuade me -- said, something about them being for dual sport riders. I see them on U.K. riders all the time on youtube.

But HikerToo, you fit the bike in the first photo. Maybe I'll just trade my leather pants for Kevlar jeans with built-in knee protection. What brand/model of boots are those?
WHEW!!!!! I'm 54, so I'm excluded. I'll let you know next year. :D
WHEW!!!!! I'm 54, so I'm excluded. I'll let you know next year. :D
Carn, David, Guth's fessed up and he's younger than you, surely you can.

I'm 58 and wear a KBC full-face helmet, RST Ventilator II Jacket (which is great in our climate as it has a waterproof layer and a thermal layer that can be taken in and out as necessary), RJays Tour AM boots, jeans or kevlar jeans and DriRider lightweight gloves most of the year. For the cooler winter days I have a pair of DriRider Nordic thermal gloves.

When it's raining, which it does, albeit rarely these days, I wear waterproof jacket and overpants.
WHEW!!!!! I'm 54, so I'm excluded. I'll let you know next year. :D
Carn, David, Guth's fessed up and he's younger than you, surely you can.

Ok, Bell Revolver modular helmet, with Blinc bluetooth system.
Jacket depends on temperature, I either wear a Johnny Rocket leather riding jacket, (below 60 degrees), or a BILT Mesh Jacket,(clearance at Cyclegear shop), both jackets are armored. I have a couple of pairs of riding gloves, don't remember the brand, one is heavy for cold weather, the others are lighter fabric for warmer climes.

I wear blue jeans all of the time, need to get some armor of some type, haven't decided which type. I usually wear my work boots, when riding, they are lace up boots, steel toe, with very good ankle support.

99 out of 100 rides, I am all about gear, and I would never suggest anyone ride without it, but I must admit, on occasion I am known to ride in shirt sleeves, helmet, blue jeans, and boots. It just feels good on a warm day, but these are only short rides, anything more than an hour or so is full battle dress.

Cheers.
 
davidsargee_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
davidsargee_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Older = 55+ I guess.

What are draggin jeans?

I was thinking about one of those synthetic fiber jackets with the dayglo and all those pockets. The salesman at Gearworld tried to dissuade me -- said, something about them being for dual sport riders. I see them on U.K. riders all the time on youtube.

But HikerToo, you fit the bike in the first photo. Maybe I'll just trade my leather pants for Kevlar jeans with built-in knee protection. What brand/model of boots are those?
WHEW!!!!! I'm 54, so I'm excluded. I'll let you know next year. :D
WHEW!!!!! I'm 54, so I'm excluded. I'll let you know next year. :D
Carn, David, Guth's fessed up and he's younger than you, surely you can.

I'm 58 and wear a KBC full-face helmet, RST Ventilator II Jacket (which is great in our climate as it has a waterproof layer and a thermal layer that can be taken in and out as necessary), RJays Tour AM boots, jeans or kevlar jeans and DriRider lightweight gloves most of the year. For the cooler winter days I have a pair of DriRider Nordic thermal gloves.

When it's raining, which it does, albeit rarely these days, I wear waterproof jacket and overpants.
WHEW!!!!! I'm 54, so I'm excluded. I'll let you know next year. :D
Carn, David, Guth's fessed up and he's younger than you, surely you can.

Ok, Bell Revolver modular helmet, with Blinc bluetooth system.
Jacket depends on temperature, I either wear a Johnny Rocket leather riding jacket, (below 60 degrees), or a BILT Mesh Jacket,(clearance at Cyclegear shop), both jackets are armored. I have a couple of pairs of riding gloves, don't remember the brand, one is heavy for cold weather, the others are lighter fabric for warmer climes.

I wear blue jeans all of the time, need to get some armor of some type, haven't decided which type. I usually wear my work boots, when riding, they are lace up boots, steel toe, with very good ankle support.

99 out of 100 rides, I am all about gear, and I would never suggest anyone ride without it, but I must admit, on occasion I am known to ride in shirt sleeves, helmet, blue jeans, and boots. It just feels good on a warm day, but these are only short rides, anything more than an hour or so is full battle dress.

Cheers.
How do you find the Bell helmet, David?
 
Guth_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
On the CB... Tourmaster silver/black mesh jacket with zip in / zip out liner. Black Shoei Modular full face helmet. Harley gloves... air mesh for summer, light leather for spring/fall and heavy leather for winter. Timberland waterproof boots. Up in Georgia, I have a a Harley leather jacket, chaps, and Modular Harley full face helmet for the Superglide and a Blue/Silver mesh jacket with liner when I ride my KLR. I wear the Harley helmet on the KLR and jeans and boots with both. I do need to get a pair of Adventure Boots for the KLR... concerned with ankle injury's if I was to take a dump in the woods.
I'd strongly suggest a re-write of this last tidbit. :)

One time after returning from a camping trip — our first with our young son, we asked him what was his favorite part of the trip. His response was immediate: pooping in the woods. I can't recall what type of footwear he was sporting.
I'd strongly suggest a re-write of this last tidbit. :)

One time after returning from a camping trip — our first with our young son, we asked him what was his favorite part of the trip. His response was immediate: pooping in the woods. I can't recall what type of footwear he was sporting.
Ok... 'concerned with ankle injury's if I was to take a fall in the woods'.

But that's not really true, because when one does have to 'lighten the load' in
the woods, you must bend down. And the loss of some extra weight could cause your symmetry (Ferrets word...) to get out of balance causing some pain to the ankles. Hence the need for some Adventure Boots with ankle protection.
So... fall or dump... still the same thing. :D
 
Back
Top