If you are an older rider, what do you wear riding your 1100?

Ptero wears a one piece leather outfit and looks good doing it! That may have been mentioned, but I'm not going back and reading all the posts :)
 
4 Paws_imp said:
My favorite bargain - Speed and Strength has a pull over mesh jersey with full armor available from motorcyclegear.com for less than $50.

To do what with?

That's a glorified T-shirt with some pads. Pads that are worthless when the shirt rips away immediately.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
4 Paws_imp said:
My favorite bargain - Speed and Strength has a pull over mesh jersey with full armor available from motorcyclegear.com for less than $50.

To do what with?

That's a glorified T-shirt with some pads. Pads that are worthless when the shirt rips away immediately.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To do what with?

That's a glorified T-shirt with some pads. Pads that are worthless when the shirt rips away immediately.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wear under a leather jacket that had no armour? My roadkrome jacket has no actual armour, I could wear this under it for extra protection.
 
I find the "t-shirt" to be quite substantial, heavier and thicker than many a mesh jacket.
Ended up buying a second one. Though it is a bit too warm to wear on hot and humid days so I wear a mesh jacket then.

To each their own.
 
Are we defining "older rider" as age years or experience years - in my experience they are quite often mutually exclusive. Never the less, at 45 years old and 31 years riding, I'll leave it to someone else to decide if I qualify on either count.

Helmet - KBC FFR modular (awesome helmet)

Cold weather, extended fall/spring trips - HD FXRG leather jacket and pants, heavy leather with a waterproof liner, full zip out quilted liner, armour and plenty of vents for airflow on warmer days

warm weather - HD convertible ballistic nylon jacket, Icon ballistic nylon pants (forget the model, had them quite awhile)

Boots - Canadian Army issue combat boots (longer trips), Georgia Boot Company Giant Wellington (quick on/off boot for short trips)

Gloves - too many to mention

The HD gear that I have is top notch quality and I've had most of for at least 10-15 years, it is expensive if you pay full price but I purchased all mine from the bargain bin/rack at HD dealerships all across North America for 50-75% off.
 
Banned_imp said:
Are we defining "older rider" as age years or experience years - in my experience they are quite often mutually exclusive. Never the less, at 45 years old and 31 years riding, I'll leave it to someone else to decide if I qualify on either count.

Helmet - KBC FFR modular (awesome helmet)

Cold weather, extended fall/spring trips - HD FXRG leather jacket and pants, heavy leather with a waterproof liner, full zip out quilted liner, armour and plenty of vents for airflow on warmer days

warm weather - HD convertible ballistic nylon jacket, Icon ballistic nylon pants (forget the model, had them quite awhile)

Boots - Canadian Army issue combat boots (longer trips), Georgia Boot Company Giant Wellington (quick on/off boot for short trips)

Gloves - too many to mention

The HD gear that I have is top notch quality and I've had most of for at least 10-15 years, it is expensive if you pay full price but I purchased all mine from the bargain bin/rack at HD dealerships all across North America for 50-75% off.
How is the KBC for noise? I'm looking for something quieter than my HJC.
crutch
 
EVERYTHING can be gotten on sale, or at a discount of 30% - 60% OFF. Just have to be aware and patient. Nothing below was purchased at full-price, and sometimes you have to buy last year's models. Buy quality, but there's always a way to save.

Helmet: Shoei GT-Air, all White (current model - DON'T buy a non-current date)
Shoei GT-Air II Helmet (LG) - RevZilla
Jacket (no rain): Held Harvey 76, black leather (current model), Armor in back (Held SAS-Tec), shoulder, elbows
Leather Motorcycle Jackets - RevZilla
Jacket (maybe wet): FirstGear Kilimanjaro (two model-years back), Armor in back (3DO), shoulders, elbows
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...gains/first_gear/kilimanjaro_jacket_2012.html
Kevlar Denim Jeans: Sliders, black denim with 3DO knee pads (one model year back)
http://www.compacc.com/p/sliders-kevlar-motorcycle-riding-jeans-4-0
Gloves: Lee Parks, Deer Tours or Held, Steve Classic
DeerTours® PCi Black
Held Steve Classic Gloves - RevZilla
Boots: Icon Super Duty 4 Boots (one model-year back)
Shop Short Motorcycle Boots, Ankle Boots & Riding Shoes - RevZilla

Yeah, ok - I'm over 55.....
 
Well, I'm so old, I cannot remember, if I'd already answered this thread.

To be sure, here we go... :P

I wear my 20 years old leather and a Shoei:

cdb7cca8fc7d381fccae8e544bf0e53a.jpg


or my 20 years old leather and a newer Shoei:

a9cfd7be3c7b5b52228f75ca038747fd.jpg


and since last year I've been owning a Roadcrafter R3, which is very good for commuting and longer trips, where weather conditions may vary.

5e7cebee44ddb8c3b33b07fb7ddcbfac.jpg


I took the Roadcrafter also for my BB2500K, these are my friends around me, sending me farewell as witnesses.

b5d0f130074a960bfcef2071c2c05db7.jpg
 
crutch_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
Are we defining "older rider" as age years or experience years - in my experience they are quite often mutually exclusive. Never the less, at 45 years old and 31 years riding, I'll leave it to someone else to decide if I qualify on either count.

Helmet - KBC FFR modular (awesome helmet)

Cold weather, extended fall/spring trips - HD FXRG leather jacket and pants, heavy leather with a waterproof liner, full zip out quilted liner, armour and plenty of vents for airflow on warmer days

warm weather - HD convertible ballistic nylon jacket, Icon ballistic nylon pants (forget the model, had them quite awhile)

Boots - Canadian Army issue combat boots (longer trips), Georgia Boot Company Giant Wellington (quick on/off boot for short trips)

Gloves - too many to mention

The HD gear that I have is top notch quality and I've had most of for at least 10-15 years, it is expensive if you pay full price but I purchased all mine from the bargain bin/rack at HD dealerships all across North America for 50-75% off.
How is the KBC for noise? I'm looking for something quieter than my HJC.
crutch
How is the KBC for noise? I'm looking for something quieter than my HJC.
crutch
I've had it since 2005 and if I remember correctly (getting old) it wasn't really any louder than my HJC but the tone was slightly different. Not a big deal to me as I never ride more than 10km without earplugs.
 
Damfino_imp said:
Depends....
Probably reduces the restroom stops. Great idea! Beats the heck out of a catheter! At over 55, ya got to think of this stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I see several wearing "draggin jeans." Are they too hot to wear in the summer?
offroad, I bought a pair of Draggin Rebel jeans which have been pretty comfortable in warm whether. They're a new model and breathe pretty well.
 
I'm one of these riders that doesn't care "how I look". Don't get me started on how I think appearance based bikes / riding is so incredibly stupid.

I ride with either Daniese leather jacket or Klim Badlands gear, DOT / Snell lid, and the best gloves I can afford. I've also got a couple of different sets of riding boots. I won't even get on the bike unless I've got this gear around my body.

I've been down, and I've been severely injured - by the failure to wear QUALITY gear which would have made a huge difference to old injuries that I still suffer from. How you 'look' is utterly irrelevant to me - how the gear you wear works and protects you means everything (to me).

Teaching my kid how to ride and I've also been picking up gear for him too. It doesn't have to match or be pretty, but it does have to work.
 
Nightengale_imp said:
I'm one of these riders that doesn't care "how I look". Don't get me started on how I think appearance based bikes / riding is so incredibly stupid.

I ride with either Daniese leather jacket or Klim Badlands gear, DOT / Snell lid, and the best gloves I can afford. I've also got a couple of different sets of riding boots. I won't even get on the bike unless I've got this gear around my body.

I've been down, and I've been severely injured - by the failure to wear QUALITY gear which would have made a huge difference to old injuries that I still suffer from. How you 'look' is utterly irrelevant to me - how the gear you wear works and protects you means everything (to me).

Teaching my kid how to ride and I've also been picking up gear for him too. It doesn't have to match or be pretty, but it does have to work.
Good luck! The best I could do, to convince my adult son to wear gloves, saved his hands on his first spill!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
4 Paws_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
That's them! Same company. Was afraid to quote such a stupid low price publicly. Good price for a full set of armor.
That's them! Same company. Was afraid to quote such a stupid low price publicly. Good price for a full set of armor. Just got one of these in thanks for the tip what a bargain for 25 bucks!
I believe they have better armor in them than my Joe Rocket jacket that cost $100
Finally got a pair of jeans: Joe Rocket

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLR...UTF8&psc=1

No armor, but reinforced and very comfortable, plus big front pockets.

The have Aramid fibers, not sure how much slide protection they will provide but has to more than the Levi's I was wearing ;-)
 
Back
Top