How to Recover from a House Fire, Relocate a Precious Motorcycle, & Return to Riding

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
Thank you, everyone, for your support and concern after the fire and my unplanned move to Texas. A brief update follows:

I spent a solid month disassembling my CB1100EX, inspecting everything, scrubbing away corrosive chemical/smoke residue, and carefully reassembling. I am happy to report the CB1100EX is rock solid and running beautifully.

upTsj9h.jpeg


gOs0axE.jpeg


Sj74xiz.jpeg


The Relocation: With the motorcycle mechanically sound once more, I engaged Motorcycle Movers for the transport to Texas. Rationally, I knew they were the premier transport provider in the nation. Emotionally, I still fretted, hoping that nothing would happen in transit. I was delighted to see the truck door open, see the motorcycle on the same pallet, and grateful for the care the gentlemen took in unloading it properly.

DFmhlCn.jpeg


The Gear Reality: Unfortunately, all of my riding gear (helmets, protective jackets, airbag vest, gloves, boots, and luggage) had to be written off and discarded. Fabric, leather, and foam absorb toxic particulates from chemical-house smoke; gear simply cannot become a delivery vehicle for poisoning my lungs and skin on rides. I wept a little while I was taking the gear to the appropriate facility for hazardous materials, but personal safety is non-negotiable.

Navigating Insurance Coverage & Letting Go: The maze of four separate insurance entities proved enlightening: between corporate exclusions, high homeowners deductibles, and third-party policy limits, there was no easy recovery. While I had legal paths to pursue the neighbors responsible, I simply did not have it in me. They are dealing with their own aftermath, and life is too short to spend months in small claims court at the expense of things far more enjoyable, like riding.

So what three practical lessons did I take away?

  1. Chemical smoke is aggressive: Fire aftermath is not just about heat damage. It leaves corrosive particulates on aluminum, chrome, and wiring. A thorough teardown, deep clean, and protective treatment is the proper response to ensure that a motorcycle truly survives a structure fire for years to come.
  2. Reassess your gear coverage: Do not assume that standard homeowner, renter, or auto policies easily cover dedicated riding gear. If you carry premium helmets, airbags, and armored apparel, consider endorsements on your motorcycle policy or self-insurance.
  3. Stuff happens: Deal with it in a pragmatic, compassionate way: Metal can be cleaned, gear can be replaced, but time is far too valuable to spend anchored in frustration.

rELELsY.jpeg


EtOEzTu.jpeg


On Saturday, I took the first ride since the fire. Life is good. Thanks again for the outreach and kind words.
 
"Time is too valuable to spend anchored in frustration."

Wise words, rdprdp01. Pleased you and the CB1100 are safely together in Texas and hope the relocation brings you joy.
 
Very happy for you that your bike made it to TX unscathed, and looking very ready for lots of miles.
 
I am happy your family and your CB came through in relatively good shape. A house fire is a terrible tragedy and months of frustration dealing with bureaucracy and people who should be helping, but who instead become a huge headache. Best wishes for a great new life in your new location.
:biker:
 
Good to hear the update and that your CB1100 made it safe to your new digs! I would be paranoid shipping my bike, thinking of anything that might happen to it. Also glad to hear that you're keeping a positive outlook on the recovery. I've been on the insurance side of claims like this, and on the "happened to me" end of household tragedies. Neither is a fun place to be, and sounds like you're working with it best you can.

Good luck in TX and getting settled!
 
Back
Top