Forum Website Issues

peterbaron_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, Mrs. G did send me out to buy a turkey for next week...
..buy cheaper chicken and put it in a turkey's bag :)
..buy cheaper chicken and put it in a turkey's bag :)
No sir! This is my big year! I'm doing the turkey... got a really neat rub, have it all planned out.

And I bought this really boss nostalgia Atari video game console at Costco last night and was up till 1:00 am playing Asteroids.

But yeah, all other monies go to motorcycles and motorcycle stuff.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, Mrs. G did send me out to buy a turkey for next week...
..buy cheaper chicken and put it in a turkey's bag :)
..buy cheaper chicken and put it in a turkey's bag :)
No sir! This is my big year! I'm doing the turkey... got a really neat rub, have it all planned out.

And I bought this really boss nostalgia Atari video game console at Costco last night and was up till 1:00 am playing Asteroids.

But yeah, all other monies go to motorcycles and motorcycle stuff.
Mmmm, Gone. Asteroids vs motorcycle. You don't make things easy, do ya?
 
Let's reframe that, shall we: Asteroids v. Motorcycle in cold weather. No contest.
 
I had no choice to post what i discovered here vs the original thread I created with only 3 posts before it was locked - disappointed - sorry to say, this is why I do not belong to RV threads anymore.

I downloaded firefox on my new Android, but it is apparently an old version, but the only latest available and everything appears like the old days, but it has security issues and will not be using it.

Firefox on my laptop appears completely different, sill missing pictures and formatting like the android ap. I don't know what would be involved, but the forum needs to get with it and update to a current server/hosting facility or continue on dare I say like a Harley vs a Honda.

This is not a dig at this great community (forum), just a realty of the digital age. Constant change or one become absolute overnight.

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and have a Great New Year Cruising!
 
I know I probably don't have the forum cred to jump in here, but the forum is what it is. When it was pointed out in a recent post that the issue was simply newer browsers trying to load HTTPS by default, many people chimed in with numerous simple workarounds across a broad spectrum of web browsers. How great is that!

Here are a few things to put the website protocol/display issue into perspective.
1) We all get to participate here without being pestered to buy a membership.
2) There are really no ads to speak of.
3) An examination of the traffic and processes in the background shows that the site isn't crammed with pop-ups, banners, tracking, social media tie-ins, anti-privacy data skimming, etc.
4) There are no fund drives pestering you to contribute to pay for hosting and bandwidth.
5) In a nutshell, all the other garbage that plagues every other forum on the net doesn't have a place here.
6) Add to that one of the most impartial and cool-headed moderator teams of any motorcycle forum out there and this forum is still one of the best places on the web to visit.

I also think it's amazing in this day of corporations snatching up every online forum they can, that this forum is still privately owned and operated and that offers to sell it were declined. It's even more awesome that it was put up by somebody that loved his bike so much, he dumped his own time and money into making this a place that has stood for over a decade at his expense, and I might add, is one of the definitive sources of information for the CB1100 anywhere on the web. Guth did all this and continues to keep it keep it revenue free for all of us even though his health issues keep him from being able to enjoy the fruits of his labor in the way he used to. I can only imagine how challenging that is for him now.

I could go on and on, but in summary, gift-horse, mouth, etc. I think the minor technical issue is easily worked around and I am grateful he kept the lights on last year. Knowing that the site could be gone at any point with no notice make the display issues (that are a result of having built the site using what was once a standard protocol) seem awfully trivial in retrospect.

Cheers Guth! :beerchug:
 
I agree that this is the best forum on the web I have ever come across, especially the level headed, constructive, ... members. I was just commenting on the state of IT nowadays.

If I may suggest (after looking into the hosting platform (Not Guth himself) for this website) that he consider a different hosting company. I use inmotionhosting.com after many years of having hosting companies come and go and problems. They are the right size for reliability, service, pricing,.... I am extremely pleased to have my companys website hosted there.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I've had no issues on my PC (Google Chrome) I-pad (Safari) or Samsung Galaxy Tablet
Well this is no longer true and now all I get is the script version in Edge, chrome on my pc and chrome on my tablet.

What a nightmare.
 
kennyw_imp said:
I have a fix for Chrome:

Click on the secure icon next to the web address bar
Click on "Site Settings"
Scroll down to "insecure content" and change to "allow"
Mine is still perfectly OK since I did it as per ^above^, easy peasy
 
The ferret_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I've had no issues on my PC (Google Chrome) I-pad (Safari) or Samsung Galaxy Tablet
Well this is no longer true and now all I get is the script version in Edge, chrome on my pc and chrome on my tablet.

What a nightmare.
Well this is no longer true and now all I get is the script version in Edge, chrome on my pc and chrome on my tablet.

What a nightmare.
The general issue is not sustainable.

Until then, did you consider trying FireFox?
 
The website looked normal for me for a few weeks, now is just the script version again on Chrome and Edge. Looks fine on my phone, however.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
The website looked normal for me for a few weeks, now is just the script version again on Chrome and Edge. Looks fine on my phone, however.
Yea phone is fine, chrome and edge both have script only for me too. Wish I knew how to fix this for everyone, it is truly annoying.
 
Glad it worked for you, Frulk. Doesn't seem to have worked for others. No idea why.
 
Back
Top