2014 good 2nd ride?

Inline Sk8r_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi
Been riding sport bikes for 25yrs now. Current is a VFR1200 that I bought new in 2010.
Rode a 71’ CB750 in college a long time ago. Always loved the look and feel of it. Drooled over the CB1100 when I’d go to the dealer for things.
Been craving the fun I used to have on the CB750 for a while now, so I’m going to pull the trigger on a used 2014 with 2000 miles in mint condition on Saturday. It comes with a detachable windscreen.
Is there anything I need to know? What to look for?
I live in Tucson where it’s hot as hell. What’s life going to be like with a air-cooled engine?
Would like an engine guard? Any opinions on those?
Thanks
Mark
 
G'day Inline Sk8r and welcome to the forum. Good choice of motocycle. There's a number of good options for engine guards which I'm sure folks will tell you about.
 
Hi inline, There are quite a few riders in hot area's and you may well get some good advice from them, here in nz i sometimes get a little warm shins if i'm driving slow but nothing to worry about, there is an "engine overtemp" light on the dashboard but i have not heard anyone complaining about this, in short; nothing to worry about.

There are some members who have had good success with lithium batteries where agm and conventional ones have not lasted very well in the hot environment.

You may have heard about the front tyre lasting only 5000 km, that seems normal for these ones and all controls are very easy and smooth.

The cb1100 certainly has appeal, it gets noticed and appreciated by a wide age group and is a pleasure to ride!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear that the heat won’t be that big of an issue.
Thanks jtopiso for the engine guard option. It looks great and not huge. Wish I could see more angles...
Haven’t heard about the front tires. Honestly, haven’t heard anything about the bike. That’s why I’m here so I can learn as much as possible from owners.
I figure because it’s a Honda, it’s bulletproof. It’s going to be my go to fun bike.
 
Welcome Inline!!

As for guards, I have sliders. There are a number of engine guard makers out there. Hopefully some members will chime in on that. There is at least one that is not safe and can lever you over in a turn. Happened to one member here. I can't remember the brand right off hand but can find it if I have too. Let us know what you decide on and you'll get comments.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Welcome Inline!!

As for guards, I have sliders. There are a number of engine guard makers out there. Hopefully some members will chime in on that. There is at least one that is not safe and can lever you over in a turn. Happened to one member here. I can't remember the brand right off hand but can find it if I have too. Let us know what you decide on and you'll get comments.
Mounted this engine guards on the CB1000 2013 and I'm satisfied.


https://m.ebay.de/itm/Sturzb-gel-Ho...07-4b6c-ad10-a36e5db827ed&epid=2295139407

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
Sliders Popgun?? Hadn’t crossed my mind....interesting

Link didn’t work for me Wisedrum :(

Going have to search for some real life pictures of the bike with guards/sliders on
Curious
How is the seat? Looks slippery
Thanks
 
Hello Inline, Welcome to the Forum. I live in Texas, and have had no problem with the heat. I have the SW Motech engine guards on my bike, and there are several other members that use them as well. They are made in Germany, perfect fit, and very well engineered. https://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sw+motech+cb1100+engine+guards

Here is some in depth on the Motech subject. If you go with them pay particular attention to using the Motech long bolts included with their bars, and use the torque values covered in this thread. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8360&pid=179410#pid179410
 
2017EX_imp said:
Hello Inline, Welcome to the Forum. I live in Texas, and have had no problem with the heat. I have the SW Motech engine guards on my bike, and there are several other members that use them as well. They are made in Germany, perfect fit, and very well engineered. https://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sw+motech+cb1100+engine+guards

Here is some in depth on the Motech subject. If you go with them pay particular attention to using the Motech long bolts included with their bars, and use the torque values covered in this thread. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8360&pid=179410#pid179410
Agreed! I had the sw motech guards on my '14 and and now have them on my '17; both times install was easy. On the '14 I put an inexpensive pair of hiway pegs on the bars of the engine guards and that made long-distance riding more comfortable. Haven't done that yet on the '17. I like the black ones because I think it makes it look like part of the frame. A few shots from different angles in the garage from this morning...

1a2d7d973c40a19eb82d50b1ec1d54ea.jpg


fec8c9acceb69a29ab83c7e7fc5caa0d.jpg


30adcd8deae797784a9502cc1c73cc49.jpg


aec8755bbb1a12580ef13b200a02268b.jpg


198f8f56e92fe12a36e519a8ab405caa.jpg


...and one from a recent ride along the Columbia River where you can see what it looks like from a distance:
66256e95a3ed18fc91a4d1b261eca47e.jpg
 
Thread starter
2017EX- thanks for the info! I know twisted throttle from my vfr. They used to have a distributor in Phoenix.

PDEDSE- you hooked me up with the pictures I was looking for. Grassy ass!!

LongRanger- It’ll be my go to ride for around town. Already see that happening. My idea is to leave 1 bike at work. Ride one bike to work, take the other one home, and rotate daily. It’ll be my weekend ride unless I have to ride to my group cycling rides, then I’ll take the vfr since I have a bicycle rack for that motorcycle:)
 
Inline Sk8r_imp said:
Sliders Popgun?? Hadn’t crossed my mind....interesting

Link didn’t work for me Wisedrum :(

Going have to search for some real life pictures of the bike with guards/sliders on
Curious
How is the seat? Looks slippery
Thanks
Worked for me for some reason. Here are the pictures at the other end of Wisedrum's link:

fc3c0d0f0d28bff650feb81e93aeca38.jpg


bbb50222dcf3ceb36ea31d99ed986bc5.jpg


Engine guard model 1113 MS HO CB 1100 by Fehling. 85.67 Euro / pair.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Stichill for the help with pictures!
Since I’m getting the black bike, I’ll going for the black guards.
Figure it’s only a matter of time before I hopefully lightly drop it.
Put my vfr down for the first time at the post office a couple weeks ago. Frame sliders on so no issues.
Thought the kickstand was fully down....nope. Even laid into the horn by accident so everyone can see what I was doing. As you can imagine, everyone just watched me struggle to get it back up. No help. Welcome to Arizona LOL
 
Welcome, Sk8r! :hello:

I've been riding air cooled bikes in the desert for about 40 yrs now. The only problems I've had were when I was sitting motionless, idling in traffic for 1/2 hr. or so in 100+ temps. The simple solution is to just shut the bike off if you're not going to be moving. Even moving slowly will allow the engine to keep it's cool.

As for guards, I'll have to give a plug to the OVER Racing guards available from Samurider. Thanks to a suicidal deer, I got to test out the left side guard a few years back and it was impressive. Although I cracked the instrument housing and scraped a lever, nothing on the left side of the bike got so much as a scratch.

I have the polished stainless ones, but they're also available in black powder coat, here :

Over Racing:Crash guards for CB1100 | Samurider.com
 
Thread starter
Hola Flynrider

That’s for the feed back about the heat from a fellow Arizonan. It’s really appreciated!!
Sitting in traffic is for big cities like Phoenix. Tucson traffic is manageable on a motorcycle with the use of bike lanes hahahaha

I’m finding out there really are a lot of guard options...makes your head spin

Side note..
Went to the Honda website. It only shows the 2014 & 2017. Is there any difference in the earlier years? Like between the 14 and 13. I see a couple threads on the 2013. Did it start in 2013?

Thanks for everyone’s input and showing me which threads were beneficial to me!!
 
The first model of this iteration of the CB1100 was 2010. The 2010-2013 models are essentially the same with a 5-speed transmission. The 2014-2016 standard models got a 6-speed gearbox. In 2014, Honda introduced the DLX (US)/EX (Everywhere else).

Check out this section of the forum, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29
 
I also have the Over engine guards on my bikes , they fit all years and I have the stainless steel ones :look great and very good protection , more than the Honda OEM ones.
 
Back
Top