Leaf Ride

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
"Dude! Didn't you check the weather?!?", the bearded 50-something year old man in the gold 2000-something Toyota Camry asked me through the 6 inch opening he created in his window.

I hadn't seen him pull up alongside me in the gas station in Crystal Lake where I had stopped to check, ironically in light of his question, the radar app on my iPhone. I was looking for a route that might have lighter rain and still stuck to the brightest lit streets the last 30 miles of the trip. Darkness falls quicker and somehow deeper this time of year and quicker and deeper still when rain falls with it.

"Checked it before I left this morning and I didn't think it was going to be this bad until later in the evening", I replied and added "I was 200 miles away from here when I realized that this crap was coming through ahead of schedule."

"Well, I gotta give you credit, man."

"Thanks, but I don't need credit. I need to get home".

Water was dripping off my visor as the gas station canopy provided very little shelter from the rain being blown in on 30 mile per hour winds. My heated gloves, soaked all the way through, were dangling from my jacket by their power cords the way that mittens hang from a little kid's snowsuit. I remember noticing how pale, thin, and wrinkled my cold and wet hands looked while grasping my phone and thinking that this is how my hands will look when I'm 80.

"Stay safe the rest of the way home, man."
"Will do."
"Oh, and I love your bike. What year is it?"
"It's a 2013"
"Cool, man. Take care." The Camry's window closed the 6 inches and headed out into the rainy night.

US 14, called Northwest Highway in my area, proved to be the most direct, well lit, and well marked path home. I arrived home at 7:30pm which was exactly the time my GPS app had estimated 181 miles and 3.5 hours earlier. I found this to be more a remarkable coincidence than a testament on the accuracy of the mobile application.

The shivering held off until I started to undress from the ride and subsided about 20 minutes into a hot shower. I found some leftovers in the fridge which I ate while watching Michigan beat Notre Dame handily in a football game played in similar conditions to those through which I just rode. Around halftime, I decided that I wasn't going to ride Sunday and fixed myself double bourbon. Finished the game and my drink and then went to bed.

---------------------------------------

I enjoy riding motorcycles with other people and especially if that other people is my wife. I love the individual activity wrapped in the blanket of shared experience. Planning a riding day for my friends is like creating a handmade gift for them and I love seeing or talking about their reactions when they've opened their gifts. That is not to say that I don't enjoy a solo ride with equal enthusiasm, but for different reasons. I guess freedom is the main reason. Freedom to create a route that is longer (or in rare cases) shorter than I might for a group. Freedom to deviate from my route or to head out without a planned route at all. But maybe most importantly, freedom to stop for gas or to pee only when I need gas or have to pee.

I knew Saturday's ride was going to be a solo affair. Cheryl was in New Orleans visiting our aspiring attorney at Tulane and I thought the weather forecast to be little brisk for most of my riding friends. I must confess, though, that the freedom to ride as long as I wanted to ride kept me from asking them.

There's this really cool cigar shop inconveniently located 85 miles from my house. It's a converted house, more like a fishing cabin, situated on the west bank of the Rock River in Oregon, Illinois. Barry, the owner, was having a cigar and coffee tasting event Saturday morning and that seemed like an intriguing to me (and repulsive to my friend The Ferret) combination and worthy of a motorcycle ride. It being fall and I being some 3,000 miles away from my 2020 mileage goal, I set up a route that would provide me with at least some peeks at fall color, breakfast, the cigar/coffee combo, and 500 miles of road time. It was a good, but as Cheryl called it, ambitious route from Chicago west to the Mississippi River, north along the river into Wisconsin and then back east by northeast to home.

A check of my AccuWeather app on Thursday and Friday confirmed that my route was a good one for another reason. The significant remnants of Tropic Depression 17 were pulsing their way from New Orleans, where my wife and daughter were getting drenched at the time, through Memphis, and up into Chicago and points northeast of there by late afternoon/early evening Saturday. The good news about this was that there was a sharp rain/no-rain demarcation line and my route was to the north and west of that line for all but maybe 50 miles; less than that if the rain delayed its arrival.

In addition to the late rain, the forecast was for cloudy and cool. Saturday would start with temperatures in the upper 30s and, if I was lucky, increase into the mid-50s in the afternoon. This would be a nice test of my MobileWarming heated jacket and gloves which I purchased too late last winter to put to good use.

I layered up: Long-sleeve t-shirt and warm-up pants, rain/wind pant liners, heated jacket, Olympia mesh riding pants and jacket. A merino wool balaclava and a neck wrap finished my ensemble. At about 7:15 am I headed out.

a591b768fa75467666ba35b0eefef71e.jpg

Start Time

a5da2742d570b5c8767b5ac496b980bc.jpg

Start Time weather data

7e27dc9290cce9db39bb5d386455559d.jpg

Someone is going to have to pick up those leaves at some point...but not today.


2f3ab863c58ef75c3bcdc89f0b9a057b.jpg

As it turned out, some of the most vibrant colors I spotted all day were within a few miles of home.

13f1ef981ad8c0eac2405ce616af5899.jpg

It may be hard to see in this picture, but there was frost on the fields as i rolled out into rural America.


A Forum member whose name escapes me turned me on to this little restaurant in Hampshire, IL called Allen's Corner Diner. It may be my favorite restaurant on the planet because the folks that run it are so nice, and the folks that eat there are, well, folks. I've only been there for breakfast and they are hardy, served hot, and delicious. The servers are friendly and attentive. It took me an about an hour to get to Hampshire and the temps hadn't risen much. My heated gear was working great, but I don't have (yet) heated footwear, so a nice warm breakfast in a nice warm restaurant had irresistible appeal to me.

305ee7a85978cc55cbca803c0968eed2.jpg



7fd22847de0b368e3aa5e7dcfb8fe495.jpg

The road is calling and I must go...after breakfast, though.

d7a9a4d40c95b5a6054cbccdd9343c39.jpg

They call this "Dad's Skillet"


The ride to breakfast was as quick and direct as possible while avoiding interstate highways. I chose IL72 for this leg and it worked just fine to get me out from the metropolis. My heated gear was doing its job. The MobileWarming jacket is similar to a Northface "Squall" jacket and so has a wind/water barrier and a thin fleece lining. I used my Olympia mesh jacket as an outer layer for its armor. This isn't a bad layering system, but I realized that it probably is most effective at temperatures in the mid-40s to upper 50s. As I rolled out on IL72 at 55 mph, I made a mental note to either wear a different jacket or add another wind layer for colder rides. For today, though, it would probably be fine. Probably.

Next stop after breakfast was Bad Ash Cigars. It is located a few hundred feet off of IL2 which runs along the western bank of the Rock River and is one of the prettiest rides in the area. I could have, and in hindsight probably should have, ridden straight west on 72, but the sweeping curves and scenic views of Route 2 drew me northwest from Hampshire to a point on the map at the south edge of Rockford where the fun starts. As anyone who rides with me knows, I often go north to go south or east to go west. They call that "meandering". I call it "motorcycling".

The map below is a fair facsimile of my planned route for Saturday 10/26/2019. It is not the actual route I laid out because I wound up editing that route on the fly and didn't save the original. It's very close, though. The original was 505 miles and I can't recall were those few extra miles were.

802a84a9a2792f7b2f95ef1f3de04bd3.jpg


The link below is to an interactive map of my actual ride courtesy of Spotwalla, an online application that allows me to store all of the trips tracked by my Spot Gen3 device. Let me know if you have trouble linking to the page. I can post a picture of the map if need be. This particular app doesn't provide me with the total trip distance, but I have that on another device which I will also post. In Spotwalla, you can click on the dots to get the information sent to Spot at that particular point. It's fun, in a geeky sort of way.

Interactive Spotwalla Map

You will notice in comparing the two maps that my actual ride was shorter than the original plan. Rain dictated a route change.

Route 2 did not disappoint. Very little traffic and no cross-traffic, nice views of the river (which is running much higher than normal), and a bit of autumn painted into the trees.





My CB1100 was running beautifully, but that should be no surprise to readers here. I am happy to report that I really like my MobileWarming heated jacket and gloves. Ease of use, generous heat output, style, and ability to run the jacket on 12v or 7v (portable battery) power confirm that I have made a good purchase for my purposes. I would also like to report that my new Sit & Fly seat cover was comfortable throughout my ride. I need to test it on a hot day, but so far, I'm more than pleased. All I really need now is heated insoles for my boots....oh and boots...and I'll be all set for winter riding in Chicagoland.

I arrived at Bad Ash Cigars a little after 10. Barry greeted me and "remembered" me -- in truth, I think he remembered that some guy on a motorcycle had come in a couple months earlier who shared his belief that Illinoisans are being taxed into obscurity.

It was Bad Ash that I made the first of three or four mistakes that would come back to bite me before the days end. Luckily, none of the mistakes were of the fatal or life-threatening variety. The first one was that I failed to check the weather radar when I stopped for a cigar and a cup of coffee. At this point, I was more interested in the fact that the temperature had not increased as predicted. I documented that, but really should have checked on the rain approaching the Chicago area -- faster than forecast I was to learn later.

I met a few nice people at the cigar store including Barry's son, a paramedic named Shane, and a few other locals there to have the coffee and cigar pairings and to watch Wisconsin pretend to play Ohio State on the gridiron. Shane and I talked quite a lot during the 45 minutes or so it took to smoke my cigar and down a couple of cups of surprisingly well-paired coffee. Most everyone was shocked, impressed, and maybe a little bewildered when they learned that I rode out from Chicago in the cold. They obviously don't read this forum or they'd know that what I did would be a walk in the park for several of our intrepid members here.

I bought a few cigars, said my 'good to see yous' and 'hope to see you soons', filled up at the BP just across the river, and headed west on IL64 toward Savanna, IL


It was supposed to be a little north of 50 by this point


Coffee and cigars really do go well together and specific types of coffee go better with specific cigars. I would never have thought that.



I know cigars aren't everyone's thing, but if they are, you should spend some time in this space



[I think I'm at the picture posting limit. Savanna, Galena, Potosi, and rest to follow as soon as possible]

My other hobby is trying to take creative iPhone pics. Some are good. Some are awful. None are great.


Happy, warm, and ride to ride.

[I think I'm at the picture posting limit. Savanna, Galena, Potosi, and rest to follow as soon as possible]
 
MTC: Your story opened like a paperback novel, with just a slight tinge of disheveled grunt. Well written.

In fact, your entire journey was well written and enjoyed thoroughly.

- - -

I occasioned a cigar myself at a humidor lounge, but stopped that quite some time ago. At the time, it was a relaxing experience.

There is something special riding solo in the darken sky and rain. Maybe a sort of rider's romance with the road and shadow surroundings. Add the odd shiver of a drop or two of rain water that mysteriously sneaks by. The upshot is usually in the cool/cold wet evenings, there are no bugs. That sometimes affords the helmet screen to open a crack to allow a sliver of cool breeze to remind you that you are alive.

A wonderful share.

- - -

RE "Darkness falls": Was one of the most jerk-moving horror movies that I recall. The story starts to wane maybe halfway through, but the initial, almost unrelenting and unsuspecting events is maybe a 9 out of 10 on the jerk scale. Happy Halloween!
 
That was an awesome read Sea.

While it's true I dont have a fondess for bourbon or cigars, I do have a fondness for certain individuals that do, and the tales they tell.
 
That was a good read!

Did you start to get into the "driftless" area on this ride or is that much farther NW?
 
Thread starter
Illinois Route 64 runs east-west across the state from Lake Michigan in Chicago to the Mississippi River in Union Township near Savanna. In Chicago, it's named North Avenue, but pronounced Nort-Av-nu. West of Oregon, it's a fairly straight run through Illinois farmland. After it starts overlaying US52 at Lanark, undulating terrain signaled I was riding deeper into the Mississippi River valley.

My Fujifilm XP 'lanyard' camera had been misbehaving since breakfast. As might be expected, I couldn't see exactly what the error messages were while riding along at speed, but I could see that screen icons that were usually white were showing as red and that it would shut itself off after just a few seconds of operation. I found that if I turned it off after each photo rather than letting it shut itself off, I could snap a few pictures. Unfortunately, this issue limited the number of photos I could take. I never did figure out the problem; when I returned home, the battery showed as half-charged and the icons were white. I still recommend this camera for the quality of the photos and for its waterproofing.


I chose 64/52 because it would deliver me directly and quickly to a couple of really great motorcycling roads. I was surprised, then, by the beauty of the fields of cornstalks blanketing the land as far as the eye could see. There was magnificence in this landscape that is diminished in photos taken from a motorcycle moving at 65mph. I will not soon forget being there, virtually alone, riding on a black ribbon rolling through these sculpted fields of brown.


7756bd188279029726038d5ba306ebf0.jpg


bb281090baefece3adb47aaf3564c862.jpg


d55c5b2ef8d11281ec2a05e1520282a7.jpg


756ea39a2e466de47994d95b379472fe.jpg


My mind wanders on these longer, uncomplicated, stretches of road and it was at about this point that first began to wonder if I should turn back home. I continued to wonder about this even as a continued to ride further and further from home. My unwillingness to make a decision was, of course, a decision in and of itself and turned out to be the second mistake I made that day.

The first overnight motorcycle trip I ever took was to Galena, IL, an historic one-time mining town and home of President U.S. Grant which now draws tourists to its nineteenth century buildings housing a variety of shops, inns, and restaurants. The town sits above and a couple of miles from the Mississippi River and is roughly bisected by the Galena river which helps feed The Old Man. It's a delightful town set in hills untouched by the glacial drift that flattened most of the rest of northern Illinois.

On that first trip, I was just learning about riding and doing so on a Honda CBR250r. The three days we spent on the twisted and hilly roads in the area probably taught me more about how to control my motorcycle than in any other similar time frame before or since. I've been on much more technical roads in the Smoky Mountains, Arkansas, Kentucky and West Virginia and managed to navigate those successfully, if not artistically, in large part due to the lessons learned on my tiny little thumper on the roads of Jo Daviess County.

Scenic Ridge Road and Blackjack Road were two of those roads. When I'm in the area, I make sure to ride them and I was in the area Saturday. I would hit Scenic Ridge first which would take me north from IL64 (via a couple of local roads that were quite nice on their own). Scenic Ridge changes its name to something or another before intersecting with Hanover Road. Hanover Rd. is lovely as well, but for me it's just a connecting road to Blackjack. Blackjack Road, to my mind, is the coolest named road in my state. It's also a pretty cool ride. It takes you from the tiny town of Hanover into Galena with a number of turns, hills, and glimpses of the Mississippi tossed in to make it worthy of its cool name.

7550f3b1a7dedd01ade4edcdbc753ffe.jpg

dfab99f1fd72a6f6fb67a342e2c0a6db.jpg

Dean Road. Pretty little farm road that takes you to Scenic Ridge

4b9c135ff30d08e5469cbae6a7833a45.jpg

Scenic Ridge Road lives up to its name

04cc7b3d86a4ffbcd43136ec103c1bc6.jpg


cb11d5961b9e43c6253561eff6df9727.jpg

Blackjack (I think).

b9411228db6cfa2706214391b076b2ab.jpg

I guess I could call this a "BlackJack-o-lantern". He pulled off to let us pass, which was nice.

0167508ae01e109385c42cf189be43c3.jpg

Crossing the Galena River

Saturdays bring a lot of people into Galena and the traffic through town was a bit tight. I recall someone in this forum talking about rural postal vehicles and the unique danger they pose to riders. I was within about a foot and a half of validating that observation. Luckily, I was riding in the stop and go traffic coming into Galena and he was able to recognize my proximity to him before the big rubber front bumper of his little mail truck bounced off of my right ankle.

No harm, no foul. He gave me a sheepish gesture once behind me and I gave him a thumbs up followed by a dramatic grasping of my chest to let him know just how close he came. I think he was a shook up about this encounter as I was. We all make errors when we drive or ride and the look on his face told me that he knew he screwed up and that he was not likely to make this mistake again anytime soon.

From Galena it was north into Wisconsin. I knew at this point that I would have to turn around and head home soon, but I needed to get further north of the storm line anyway so I'd head to Potosi, Wisconsin for gas and a reassessment of the remainder of the day. My camera was acting up again, or still, so there are only a few pictures from this leg and only one worth posting. Weather, darkness, and my desire to focus on getting home would eliminate any picture taking after Potosi.

Just south of Potosi sits the farm town of Dickeyville, WI. Some readers will recall that I've been in Dickeyville and Balltown (Iowa) on the same day during a couple of other riding adventures. This is mentioned for no other reason than to see who giggles.

Dickeyville is significant to me because it was there that our riding group found shelter from a terrible rainstorm on our first trip to Eureka Springs (written about here someplace). We were huddled on the porch of a closed-for-the-day restaurant called Katina's Kitchen when Katina showed up and let us wait out the rain inside. That selfless act has brought us back to her place at least 3 other times when she was open. The irony that I was riding past our previous rain shelter as I was heading into a similar downpour was not lost on me. I briefly thought about stopping and asking her if I could spend the night on her porch.

b1f838b426e91334f80f0be80e682944.jpg

Katina's Kitchen then

0959a2d4bef35634b3105c8ea7a1ce12.jpg

Katina's Kitchen now
 
Thread starter
I pulled in to the tiny, 4 pump gas station/convenience store in Potosi a little before 3pm. Potosi has as its claim to local fame a brewery. It's a lovely little town and we've visited it and the brewery on several occasions. This would not be one of those times. This was strictly a gas, comfort, and ride planning stop. I did have short conversations with two locals who seemed at once impressed and dumbfounded upon learning of my day's ride thus far and of my route and ultimate destination for the rest of it.

b98d65ff0208bf257bcf06e75d8a550b.jpg


My decision was to ride home via Wisconsin Hwy. 11. I would need one more gas stop, planned for Orfordville, and if I could get there reasonably warm and reasonably dry, I could get make the last 80 or so miles no matter what the conditions were that waiting.

This turned out to be a good decision. My ride across Wisconsin on 11 was fast and uneventful. The cloud cover made it darker than it should have been, but it was also getting toward sunset which wasn't helping. A few weeks ago, I found a pair of shooting glasses on sale at a Farm & Fleet and their yellow-tinted lenses were invaluable for the remainder of my ride. I recommend that you care something like these in your tank bag.

It wasn't until about 10 miles east of Monroe and 15 miles west of Orfordville that it began to drizzle. I had an alternate route that would turn southeast sooner than Orfordville on Highway 81 if it either was raining very hard or not raining at all. This route was modestly quicker, but would potential put me in the rain for longer. If I was already soaked, then the shorter ride made sense, I reasoned. Conversely, if I was dry, it might be worth the risk of taking the angle route home in hopes that I wouldn't hit the rain until I had made up more intervening miles. Since it was raining fairly steadily, but not hard at that point, I decided to follow 11 north a little and then due east on my original route. In hindsight, this was probably a good decision, too.

It was in Orfordville that I made my 3rd and last bad decision. I gassed up there in a steady but light rain. I thought about putting on my rain gear, but the rain wasn't that hard and I was layered in water-resistant gear. Lastly, I was only about 90 miles from my garage. I pulled out onto Highway 11 through "downtown" Orfordville on my way to Beloit and then home. It started pouring just about 5 minutes after I pulled out of the gas station.

"Here we go", I said aloud to whoever could hear me inside my helmet. I was completely soaked through in about 5 minutes of 55mph driving. There was no immediate place to pull off and at that point my heated gear was still doing its thing. Still, I should have stopped and added the waterproof layer. Instead, I rode on. Through the rain and wind.

The wind had really picked up, blowing water off the top of the puddles that seemed to appear in an instant along the shoulders of the road.

I managed to stay warm through Beloit and most of my way to Crystal Lake. I thought about detouring to the nearest interstate, but that didn't seem like a great option because of the increased distance required and because that particular interstate was under construction. Dark, wet, construction zones, and motorcycles seemed to me to be a bad combination.

I arrived at the gas station in Crystal Lake soaked through. Turns out that once you are wet and all your clothes are wet, your heated gear is virtually ineffective. So now I was cold and wet and 30 miles from home when I met my friend in his Camry. Perhaps donning my rain gear now would have helped the rain gear work better, but frankly I didn't even think of that at this point. 30 miles is not that far, even with stop lights. Oh and by the way, this is the first time that I hoped for red lights on a ride. I found that stopping in the rain gave me a chance to get refocused for the next stretch.

Here is a map of the route I actually took from Potosi home.

f8b2f3d40ecf2945faad157a54230d25.jpg


Here's a pic of the radar shortly after I arrived home...compare to map above.
d4f837651deac092ba5538b3512e76f2.jpg


As I write this, my gloves are still damp in the inside. Since they have electrics in them, the instructions for drying is to hang them. I had them in the garage which probably slowed the process. I brought them inside and figure they'll dry out by morning.

Upon arriving home, I stripped in the garage and started to shake a bit. I laid out my wet gear as best I could. I left the bike in the middle of the garage. I took a long, warm then hot, shower, and wrote down this note to myself: The answer to the question "Should I put my rain gear on?" is ALWAYS "Yes".

506327e9a1380ecb9ef58e728554f870.jpg


dcc35b5c02c2b55c26bfa9424f9b2440.jpg


12 hours. 400 miles. All for a leaf of one type or another.





Thanks for reading.
 
Sorry to read the excursion started to dilapidate. Likely many riders made unlucky decisions and got swindled by the weather. I have a couple of times and paid for it with soaking discomfort in the crotch. It is made worse by cold water. Glad to be reading your story which means you safely arrived to write about it.

Nice images, even the wet ones! Neat collection of stats.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I pulled in to the tiny, 4 pump gas station/convenience store in Potosi a little before 3pm. Potosi has as its claim to local fame a brewery. It's a lovely little town and we've visited it and the brewery on several occasions. This would not be one of those times. This was strictly a gas, comfort, and ride planning stop. I did have short conversations with two locals who seemed at once impressed and dumbfounded upon learning of my day's ride thus far and of my route and ultimate destination for the rest of it.

5bf3dd17c971c145f3bacfc3238f6d2c.jpg


My decision was to ride home via Wisconsin Hwy. 11. I would need one more gas stop, planned for Orfordville, and if I could get there reasonably warm and reasonably dry, I could get make the last 80 or so miles no matter what the conditions were that waiting.

This turned out to be a good decision. My ride across Wisconsin on 11 was fast and uneventful. The cloud cover made it darker than it should have been, but it was also getting toward sunset which wasn't helping. A few weeks ago, I found a pair of shooting glasses on sale at a Farm & Fleet and their yellow-tinted lenses were invaluable for the remainder of my ride. I recommend that you care something like these in your tank bag.

It wasn't until about 10 miles east of Monroe and 15 miles west of Orfordville that it began to drizzle. I had an alternate route that would turn southeast sooner than Orfordville on Highway 81 if it either was raining very hard or not raining at all. This route was modestly quicker, but would potential put me in the rain for longer. If I was already soaked, then the shorter ride made sense, I reasoned. Conversely, if I was dry, it might be worth the risk of taking the angle route home in hopes that I wouldn't hit the rain until I had made up more intervening miles. Since it was raining fairly steadily, but not hard at that point, I decided to follow 11 north a little and then due east on my original route. In hindsight, this was probably a good decision, too.

It was in Orfordville that I made my 3rd and last bad decision. I gassed up there in a steady but light rain. I thought about putting on my rain gear, but the rain wasn't that hard and I was layered in water-resistant gear. Lastly, I was only about 90 miles from my garage. I pulled out onto Highway 11 through "downtown" Orfordville on my way to Beloit and then home. It started pouring just about 5 minutes after I pulled out of the gas station.

"Here we go", I said aloud to whoever could hear me inside my helmet. I was completely soaked through in about 5 minutes of 55mph driving. There was no immediate place to pull off and at that point my heated gear was still doing its thing. Still, I should have stopped and added the waterproof layer. Instead, I rode on. Through the rain and wind.

The wind had really picked up, blowing water off the top of the puddles that seemed to appear in an instant along the shoulders of the road.

I managed to stay warm through Beloit and most of my way to Crystal Lake. I thought about detouring to the nearest interstate, but that didn't seem like a great option because of the increased distance required and because that particular interstate was under construction. Dark, wet, construction zones, and motorcycles seemed to me to be a bad combination.

I arrived at the gas station in Crystal Lake soaked through. Turns out that once you are wet and all your clothes are wet, your heated gear is virtually ineffective. So now I was cold and wet and 30 miles from home when I met my friend in his Camry. Perhaps donning my rain gear now would have helped the rain gear work better, but frankly I didn't even think of that at this point. 30 miles is not that far, even with stop lights. Oh and by the way, this is the first time that I hoped for red lights on a ride. I found that stopping in the rain gave me a chance to get refocused for the next stretch.

Here is a map of the route I actually took from Potosi home.

b13d006ece6dcd19fbe24baacec75223.jpg


Here's a pic of the radar shortly after I arrived home...compare to map above.
eaa25145a9ea8028099ed5d51a4ba17c.jpg


As I write this, my gloves are still damp in the inside. Since they have electrics in them, the instructions for drying is to hang them. I had them in the garage which probably slowed the process. I brought them inside and figure they'll dry out by morning.

Upon arriving home, I stripped in the garage and started to shake a bit. I laid out my wet gear as best I could. I left the bike in the middle of the garage. I took a long, warm then hot, shower, and wrote down this note to myself: The answer to the question "Should I put my rain gear on?" is ALWAYS "Yes".

48458dd45f160a2263ff991cb62244bb.jpg


8c95df12266c5e1885cfca14df783db8.jpg


12 hours. 400 miles. All for a leaf of one type or another.





Thanks for reading.
An important and very wise aphorism. Thanks for enduring and sharing that experience, MTC.
 
EmptySea, that was great, captivating storytelling! I thoroughly enjoyed it and am happy you had good luck on your side in avoiding a wreck with the mail truck and any incidents resulting from slower reaction times from numb fingers, reduced visibility, reduced awareness from other drivers... Nice work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I suffer from Ol'timers and can't remember what I had for dinner last night. But I can remember riding home in solid rain from Toronto to Ottawa in 1972. It was cold when I left home so I wore a ski jacket thinking it would be warmer than my leather jacket.

That jacket, gloves and my jeans were soaking wet before I put Toronto behind me. Riding at 75 MPH just pushed the cold rain through my clothes on that miserable 4 1/2 hour ride. When I reached home I had trouble getting off the bike because I was so numb with hypothermia.

When I peeled of my wet clothes I realized I was blue. Started off with warm water in the bathtub. Changed it out several times with water of increasing heat. The whole process took about an hour to bring my body temperature back to normal. That was followed by a long nap to regain my strength so I could move normally.

Now although I do have a good rain suit, I don't ride if the there is a threat of rain. I am also reluctant to start out in the morning unless the temperature is in the mid-60sF and promises to be in the 70sF in the afternoon.
 
lol - maybe many have at least once been in your situation of almost falling off the bike at a stop following a very cold run. It is a somewhat scary circumstance, and usually only takes one instance to learn from it.

Nortoon_imp said:
I suffer from Ol'timers and can't remember what I had for dinner last night. But I can remember riding home in solid rain from Toronto to Ottawa in 1972. It was cold when I left home so I wore a ski jacket thinking it would be warmer than my leather jacket.

That jacket, gloves and my jeans were soaking wet before I put Toronto behind me. Riding at 75 MPH just pushed the cold rain through my clothes on that miserable 4 1/2 hour ride. When I reached home I had trouble getting off the bike because I was so numb with hypothermia.

When I peeled of my wet clothes I realized I was blue. Started off with warm water in the bathtub. Changed it out several times with water of increasing heat. The whole process took about an hour to bring my body temperature back to normal. That was followed by a long nap to regain my strength so I could move normally.

Now although I do have a good rain suit, I don't ride if the there is a threat of rain. I am also reluctant to start out in the morning unless the temperature is in the mid-60sF and promises to be in the 70sF in the afternoon.
 
Back
Top