2014 DLX - First Ride Reflections

MWV1500_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So, new (to me) 2014 CB1100 Deluxe. Bike was delivered yesterday (1 Nov 2019). Only had time to slap a plate on it and take it over to get an inspection sticker. Bike was showing just over 3100 mi. Spent some time going over all the controls, and inspecting tires, chain, oil, etc. Took my first 200+ mile ride today (with 50 degree temps). While I know this bike is no Hyabusa, or 1100RR. I was more than happy with the power and handling. I have a suspicion that this bike is capable of more than what my average skill-set would ever demand. Throttle response is almost too good. I found myself lurching a few times, trying to sync clutch action with throttle position. Big difference between this and my '99 Valkryie Interstate. Braking is top notch as well. I love the fact that it comes with a center-stand (a rarity these days); has a cruising range of around 200 miles; and delivers a buzz-free ride right up to speeds I would typically ride at. Stock seat is fairly comfortable, but I'll make my REAL assessment after I manage to clock a 4 to 5 hundred mile day on it. I thought the suspension was fine as is, but most likely may 'dial it in' somewhat after I log some significant miles. Passing light is an interesting feature, but a lot of times I ride with the high-beam on for better day-time visibility, so it serves no purpose in that instance. 4-way flashers - yes! It's about time! The horns are a step up from the normal Honda squeaky toy offerings, but it will be tempting to fit a set with a bit more punch. Gear shift indicator is nice - first bike I've owned that features this. Not thrilled with the turn signal indicators on the instrument panel. Will be searching threads to see if anyone has found a bulb swap to improve the visibility on these. Side stand can be a bit tricky when deploying. I'm used to just pushing my boot down just aft of the foot peg to engage this. Find I'm having to look down to hit the tang properly. Again, just need to get familiar with the machine. Not thrilled that Honda cheaped out on the tool kit (I've seen the threads on this) Already ordered items to create a full set. Bummed that Honda continues to shod their new rides with Bridgestone tires - looking forward to my first set of Avons when these hit their wear limit. P.O. had installed a Puig fly screen - leaving this on there for now. Immediate wants are the engine case guards and a travel rack. Reactions, and other input welcome!
 
Buy chrome OEM side crash bars and rear rack...and enjoy your riding, always use OEM oil filters = trouble free with Honda product....AND congrats :thumbsup:
 
con grats on your new bike.. I have a 2017 and have done quite a number of mods to it.. I share your views on the directional indicators.. my fix was installing a beeper .. it works pretty cool.. it beeps when the directional is on, but is silenced when you use either brake .. like waiting for a light to change.. then when to take off from the light and release the brake, the beeper will start to sound again, reminding you to turn off the directional..when the beeper is silenced, the directional is still working.. you can buy it as a kit for about $15. if I remember.. the beeper is pretty loud, but I found installing it on the handlebar worked the best for me..

.
116e0288a6dfb1d5e73b4712d8cb33f8.jpg

coming from a goldwing, I dressed my little CB to accommodate my wants and needs.. I don't know if you are a naked guy or need more stuff.. this pic shows how I fixed mine up.. if this stuff is to your liking, just let me know and I will explain what did in more detail..

.
49f38251cd9b3597f0cb6e8670b5e679.jpg
 
Congrats on your new to you DLX. Indeed a fine motorcycle. I bought mine new in March 2014 and have 48,000 trouble free miles. You shouldn't need your tool kit for anything other than adjusting your chain every few thousand miles.
 
True LR. Btw MWV , when your front Bridgestone wears out in another 3000 miles, that's normal. They don't come with much rubber on them from the factory. The rear will go quite a bit longer, although you may want to swap both out at the same time since the rear is already 5 years old and not a great tire to begin with.
 
Congratulations, MWV. Sounds like a fine first experience.
 
Congratulations with your new bike! Beautiful!

I am in exactly the same situation as you: my (black-with-racing-checkers) 2016 CB1100A with 6000 km was delivered a week or so ago, and I have made only a few trips since then. I completely agree with your findings: it's a keeper for sure.

While a gear indicator is new for me as well, one (very minor) thing I miss is a temperature indicator. I am so used having that on my current and previous bikes. It doesn't make riding better or worse but I always find it interesting to know how hot or cold it is. Anyway - really minor nitpicking. I will look around on Ebay for a thermometer! :dodgy:

And I am almost glad that I will soon need to replace my Bridgestones for something more solid! :)

Keep us posted on any creative solution to improve the visibility of the turn signal indicators on the instrument panel. I agree that they are not well visible, especially when the sun is shining on the dash.
 
I am really happy with mine.. cheap from china.. so cheap, I bought an extra.. its held on with velcro.. it refreshes about every second, giving me a feeling of accuracy.. I tapped into 12v in my headlight bucket.. ran the sensor down the fork leg..

.
58eb0475ca444f7f45ab97aa5f41a7ee.jpg
 
Thread starter
Bighonda14_imp said:
Was this the bike from Arizona in cycle trader? Congratulations on a sweet new ride!
Bighonda14 - Yes! Forum member, Shysue2, had posted this there shortly after I had set up an automated search. Spoke with her and her husband about possibly buying and shipping. They were awesome to deal with, staying engaged and providing any assistance possible as we arranged and executed the transaction. Shipper company was Motorcycle Masters. Contracted for an enclosed carrier; was quoted 14 day delivery; and they showed up in just 9 days.

I had only previously done a remote sale - '74 CB750 going to England! Buyer contacted me; I provided a TON of pictures; he wired funds and arranged the shipping. All I had to do was be available when the shipper came to pick it up. The 'leap of faith' parts are payment and correct documentation. Working with reputable folks makes this simple!
 
bioman_imp said:
Congratulations with your new bike! Beautiful!

I am in exactly the same situation as you: my (black-with-racing-checkers) 2016 CB1100A with 6000 km was delivered a week or so ago, and I have made only a few trips since then. I completely agree with your findings: it's a keeper for sure.

While a gear indicator is new for me as well, one (very minor) thing I miss is a temperature indicator. I am so used having that on my current and previous bikes. It doesn't make riding better or worse but I always find it interesting to know how hot or cold it is. Anyway - really minor nitpicking. I will look around on Ebay for a thermometer! :dodgy:

And I am almost glad that I will soon need to replace my Bridgestones for something more solid! :)

Keep us posted on any creative solution to improve the visibility of the turn signal indicators on the instrument panel. I agree that they are not well visible, especially when the sun is shining on the dash.
bioman: Agreed, and more so.

There is this at The Forum:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13673&pid=250889#pid250889

... and the history begins here ...

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13673&pid=223264#pid223264
 
My 2017 came with OEM Dunlop's and after 7000 miles on both tires I was happy enough with them to replace them with exact same tires , still an OEM Honda part only a few months ago.
Never liked the OEM Bridgestones on my 13 and 14.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
Congratulations with your new bike! Beautiful!

I am in exactly the same situation as you: my (black-with-racing-checkers) 2016 CB1100A with 6000 km was delivered a week or so ago, and I have made only a few trips since then. I completely agree with your findings: it's a keeper for sure.

While a gear indicator is new for me as well, one (very minor) thing I miss is a temperature indicator. I am so used having that on my current and previous bikes. It doesn't make riding better or worse but I always find it interesting to know how hot or cold it is. Anyway - really minor nitpicking. I will look around on Ebay for a thermometer! :dodgy:

And I am almost glad that I will soon need to replace my Bridgestones for something more solid! :)

Keep us posted on any creative solution to improve the visibility of the turn signal indicators on the instrument panel. I agree that they are not well visible, especially when the sun is shining on the dash.
bioman: Agreed, and more so.

There is this at The Forum:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13673&pid=250889#pid250889

... and the history begins here ...

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13673&pid=223264#pid223264
:thanks:
 
Thread starter
Chuckk_imp said:
con grats on your new bike.. I have a 2017 and have done quite a number of mods to it.. I share your views on the directional indicators.. my fix was installing a beeper .. it works pretty cool.. it beeps when the directional is on, but is silenced when you use either brake .. like waiting for a light to change.. then when to take off from the light and release the brake, the beeper will start to sound again, reminding you to turn off the directional..when the beeper is silenced, the directional is still working.. you can buy it as a kit for about $15. if I remember.. the beeper is pretty loud, but I found installing it on the handlebar worked the best for me..

.
116e0288a6dfb1d5e73b4712d8cb33f8.jpg

coming from a goldwing, I dressed my little CB to accommodate my wants and needs.. I don't know if you are a naked guy or need more stuff.. this pic shows how I fixed mine up.. if this stuff is to your liking, just let me know and I will explain what did in more detail..

.
49f38251cd9b3597f0cb6e8670b5e679.jpg
Hey Chuckk - Thanks for the input. My regular ride is a '99 Valkyrie Interstate - that has all the bells & whistles I ever need for long distance riding. This CB1100 is going to fill a few other roles for me - commuter, day tripper, and an option for my son to use (just got his license this year). Not looking to do any serious mods on this one, but will be opening up the cluster just to see what Honda stuck in there for turn signal indicator lighting. Hoping a bulb swap will improve this...
 
good luck mike .. did you look at a parts list, to find out what type of bulbs are in there now, and what your options might be ? I bought some of that double sided tape Honda uses, thinking I would dig into that display, then decided not to go there.. I'm not that happy with Honda's display.. it's not bright enough for my old eyes..

chuckk ..
 
Thread starter
Chuckk_imp said:
good luck mike .. did you look at a parts list, to find out what type of bulbs are in there now, and what your options might be ? I bought some of that double sided tape Honda uses, thinking I would dig into that display, then decided not to go there.. I'm not that happy with Honda's display.. it's not bright enough for my old eyes..

chuckk ..
Unfortunately, the parts listing does not go into detail on that part of the cluster (which I found strange). I will post whatever I find...
 
Back
Top