Winter riding, better than Summer

Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
CIP... How much draw for all 4 pieces, and does the CB put out enough amps or watts or? To cover them?
Mickey, here you go

Jacket 6.5
Pants 4.0
glove 2.5
Inserts .5

About 13 amps
When i bought these a few years back my ST had no problem handling the draw. I should really look into the watt rating and convert.

Edit: just contacted my dealer who contacted Honda. Bike puts out 11 amps, better ride this mount without the pants.
Mickey, here you go

Jacket 6.5
Pants 4.0
glove 2.5
Inserts .5

About 13 amps
When i bought these a few years back my ST had no problem handling the draw. I should really look into the watt rating and convert.

Edit: just contacted my dealer who contacted Honda. Bike puts out 11 amps, better ride this mount without the pants.
11 amps isn't a lot. When you take out the power for the lights, the ignition and the fuel injection, doesn't seem like there is a lot left. I don't have any idea what those all draw but I'd guess somewhere around 7-8 amps.
 
CIP57_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
CIP... How much draw for all 4 pieces, and does the CB put out enough amps or watts or? To cover them?
Mickey, here you go

Jacket 6.5
Pants 4.0
glove 2.5
Inserts .5

About 13 amps
When i bought these a few years back my ST had no problem handling the draw. I should really look into the watt rating and convert.

Edit: just contacted my dealer who contacted Honda. Bike puts out 11 amps, better ride this mount without the pants.
I think riding without pants violates the ATGATT rule, but it worked for Rollie Free ;)
 
sanoke_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
CIP... How much draw for all 4 pieces, and does the CB put out enough amps or watts or? To cover them?
Mickey, here you go

Jacket 6.5
Pants 4.0
glove 2.5
Inserts .5

About 13 amps
When i bought these a few years back my ST had no problem handling the draw. I should really look into the watt rating and convert.

Edit: just contacted my dealer who contacted Honda. Bike puts out 11 amps, better ride this mount without the pants.
Mickey, here you go

Jacket 6.5
Pants 4.0
glove 2.5
Inserts .5

About 13 amps
When i bought these a few years back my ST had no problem handling the draw. I should really look into the watt rating and convert.

Edit: just contacted my dealer who contacted Honda. Bike puts out 11 amps, better ride this mount without the pants.
11 amps isn't a lot. When you take out the power for the lights, the ignition and the fuel injection, doesn't seem like there is a lot left. I don't have any idea what those all draw but I'd guess somewhere around 7-8 amps.
Mickey, here you go

Jacket 6.5
Pants 4.0
glove 2.5
Inserts .5

About 13 amps
When i bought these a few years back my ST had no problem handling the draw. I should really look into the watt rating and convert.

Edit: just contacted my dealer who contacted Honda. Bike puts out 11 amps, better ride this mount without the pants.
11 amps isn't a lot. When you take out the power for the lights, the ignition and the fuel injection, doesn't seem like there is a lot left. I don't have any idea what those all draw but I'd guess somewhere around 7-8 amps.
Of course miss informed be the dealer, output is 28amps more than enough to run all the gerbing gear above. You only really run it at about 50% which is about a 7-8 amp draw.
 
Right about the wind. Simplest thing I discovered a couple years back was the balaclava which simply kept the wind from rushing down your neck from under the helmet. I'd think the windshield and perhaps heated gloves would be a good first start and then add to it you get serious. A jump suit rather then jacket and pants seems to be better too but it's very hard to find (at least for me) one that fits. (Being vertically challenged and weight enhanced)

It's always puzzled me as to how it is I see lots of guys with my build but I still can't find closes to fit without alteration.

Snow mobile suits are jump suits but not sure they are the best for bikes. What do you guys know about the differences between bike clothes and snow mobile suits. I've seen guys riding in Carharts but that's just too tacky. Just like a woman. Don't look good going don't go. :rolleyes:
 
Snowmobile suits work great, and can be stylish. I used to use it all the time. I still have one suit, but I lent it to my son, and it's never found it's way back home. If you live in Michigan or Minnesota you can get some real deals on left over Arctic Cat gear after season. The drawback to snowmobile gear is lack of armor or crash protection.

I second the balaclava. Essential gear for cold weather riding. I have 3 of them.

Also vertically challenged and weight enhanced! Ie: gear likes to pile up around my wrists and ankles. :(
 
Fleece tube turtle necks are a godsend. I used a knitted one back in the day that an old girl friend had for cross country skiing and thought it was wonderful but the wind went through it too easily. Fleece jobs are so much nicer.

Unlike back in the 80's, specific gear for biking is so much better than snowmobile gear that I won't go back.

I go with long gauntleted gloves as I have long lanky limbs I like to keep the cool winter breezed out of.
 
Thread starter
What I found works best for me is Merino wool long underware with fleece long underware over it. A leather motorcycle jacket on top over a fleece vest and a pair of logger pants from Duluth Trading Company. The logger pants have two layers of a tight knit denim on the front of the legs. Work just about as well as leather chaps but aren't as bulky. Add a fleece helmit liner, insulated gauntlet gloves and a pair of Red Wing insulated boots and I'm good for all day in the 20's. Of course it helps tremendously to have a good windshield with lowers to block the wind.
 
If you get a jacket and gloves you will likely want a dual controller, or a rheostat for each piece so you can vary the amt of heat to each item. Crank gloves up or crank vest down.
Personally I Think Im going to start with a jacket liner and a dual controller and a tender adapter... Thats over $ 350. Funny thing is I have gotten by for 46 years without elect gear, guess Im getting soft in my old age.

Mickey,
Gerbing gear usually has a dual controller for top and bottom. The Jacket has connections at the end of the sleeve to connect to your gloves which would put them on the same phase. You could always run a Y from the second phase to the gloves but that's a lot of wires going on. Check with them before you make a decision. Not sure about the vest.
 
Found out on the Moto Guzzi forum this morning that a rider with Gerbing has a lifetime warranty on their stuff. He had a connector fail on one of his gloves and they are replacing them. Just one data point but a whole bunch of us were impressed with his service. I'm looking for a vest/jacket liner and Gerbing just went to the top of my list.

Login
 
wow, that's good service. (although it's the proper thing to do from a customer relations stand point). Not a lot of companies are so service oriented.. unfortunately.
 
If you can keep your hands and feet comfortable the rest is doable.

I had a BMW with heated grips and those suckers would get hot. Problem for me at least it didn't help the backs of the hands which were exposed to the air. I would think that the amps involved in those heated grips distributed to other heating applications like gloves and a jacket liner would be better use of the energy.

Don't know maybe you guys like the heated grips.

I am not sure I am going to set the CB up with a wind blocker windshield and such. I've got other bikes which might do better. Just picked up a 2001 Valkyrie and that bike might be the one to set up with a big windshield and lowers. That hunk of metal of and engine once warmed up should provide some blow back to the rider as well. Man I found a nice one 6000 original miles and it's about as new as a bike could be. I should be sellin not buyin but just had to have it.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
A few years ago I bought a heated vest and an adapter wire so I could plug it into my Battery Tender plug-in, which is on all three bikes. That was the best money I'd ever spent on winter riding gear. I used to bundle up to ride in the winter (and still got cold), now it's just a long-sleeve T-shirt, the vest, and my jacket. :thumbsup:
Any recommendations for that kind of setup?
Any recommendations for that kind of setup?
Yeah, this is the one I got, and most vests don't include the control for the heat, but this one does: http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product....361&cat=59
I got mine about 4 years ago at my dealer for $100.00. I got the vest because I don't plan on riding cross-country in the dead of winter, I just want to get out for an hour or so, and I didn't want to tax the electrical system on the bikes, so the vest seemed to be the answer for me.
 
I had just bought all the first gear heated clothing about 2 weeks ago, and it has only been cold enough to try it out on one day, but even then I really didnt need it. Temps were in the 50's. But what I am having now is finding a decent place to mount the controller on the CB. Does anyone have an idea of a place thats convenient to reach and yet is unbotrusive?
 
My thoughts about Honda cruisers and winter/summer riding.
I think Honda's run hot.it's been a complaint of mine for going on ever since
I bought a VTX1800.I ran Honda oil but changed to Amsoil because of the
summers.Same with my Valkyrie Tourer.In the winter Hondas rule.
Because they seem to enjoy colder weather.Run really fine in the winter.
But NOT the dead of summer when the temperature gets over 90 degree.
However I won't even attempt riding when the temperature is below 45 degrees.
Unless there's no wind and really sunny.
I'm still trying to figger out why Honda's run hot.You can tell when an engine
is hot.By the length of time it takes to cool down.What I do is park my
bike after a summer ride in a shady spot under a tree next to my garage.
That way the wind will cool the engine down pretty quick.Usually within
about an hour.W/o doing that it takes a good 3 hours to cool down in the
garage.
 
The ferret_imp said:
It was 34 when I took off riding Sunday morning, and I just got in from a ride and high temp today was 57. I don't own electrics but I am considering a jacket. Can't decide. Im good down to about 20 before I start thinking maybe I should take the car, but as long as there is no snow/ ice or excessive road salt on the road Im good.
Interesting post response. I agree in all respects. In regards to an electric heated jacket - just another gadget thang to fuss with. Maybe most better off with a decent quality "passive" jacket that will work long after any battery-fitted jacket passed out (and no goofy wires to USB/bike battery). I would be more interested in a more effective cooling jacket for summer riding, or some associated gadget - if I must have my gadget fix.
 
LOL yea well I changed my mind over the last few years, and bought a heated jacket liner a couple of years ago and handlebar muffs and heated grips. I'm good to below zero now on a full fairing bike. This morning's 56 mile ride it was 21 when I took off 24 when I got home. I was very comfortable. Last year I rode down to 2 below zero, the year before that down to 1 below zero. Heated gear makes that possible. I still prefer summer riding to winter riding however lol.

877ce87bbd6a96df0125496120a5cf72.jpg


c63c7be7741ef09f0883638df97a9211.jpg
 
Thanks - this is good to know. My benchmark for this -6C example is about 60 minutes at 80 km/h with no electrically heated gear - but I use HotShots in each glove. If I stop for 15 minutes (e.g. for a coffee or some place warm), I can buy another 30 minutes at a time.

Question:

How good is the same gear with the battery off (never turned on)? That is, can you approximately determine how many riding minutes/hours you gain using the battery? Hmm, built-in LiOn battery or wired up to the bike?
 
GO..I plug my jacket liner into the controller which is plugged into the plug from my battery tender jr so mine is wired directly to the bike. Honestly you could go down to zero without the heated gear (used to do it all the time) but it's much more comfortable with the electric on lol. Today at 21 degrees I ran my heated grips on 50% (100% will burn your hands I think) and my jacket liner about the same. Keeping the wind off is as important, if not more so, than the extra heat supplied by the jacket liner and grips, so a windshield or fairing is pretty important. Keeping the fingertips warm is the toughest part without heated grips. I have used mittens and mittens with heated gloves liners too. Better than regular gloves with no air protection.
 
Back
Top