Cold Weather Riding

I have 2 sets of riding pants, for hot and cold days, but not for winter and its windy days.
I considered a couple of heated options, such as heated long johns or heated pants, but ultimately settled on a windproof pants because the wind was mainly responsible for stealing heat from my lower body.
I found them on Amazon.ca at a good price.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09ZQQ8RFZ?ref=...th=1&psc=1

I wear M and also ordered the M pants. They fit perfectly and have two zippered pockets on both sides, a Velcro adjustable lower part and the all-important inner mesh that is perfect for tight spots or on the knees and hips.

 
If it gets cool enough to warrant more gear, I'll wear sweat pants under my jeans and my Schott Perfecto jacket. Zipped up and snapped shut, that jacket is WARM, but it is heavy, so it doesn't get a lot of use.
 
I wear heated gloves and a heated jacket liner, turn on heated grips, use masking tape to seal up the vents in my helmet, and wear a windproof neck gaiter called a Schampa chin guard. Wind entry is definitely the enemy. If you can keep it out and have heated gear, you don't need a lot of bulky insulation. I think 40° F / 4° C is about my lower limit for calling it quits. At some point it stops being fun to ride and just becomes man vs. cold.
 
My winter riding gear…uh..NO!…
024994536b6089aa7e01783040a034b6.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Stichill_imp said:
I wear heated gloves and a heated jacket liner, turn on heated grips, use masking tape to seal up the vents in my helmet, and wear a windproof neck gaiter called a Schampa chin guard. Wind entry is definitely the enemy. If you can keep it out and have heated gear, you don't need a lot of bulky insulation. I think 40° F / 4° C is about my lower limit for calling it quits. At some point it stops being fun to ride and just becomes man vs. cold.

Man vs cold

2786db8d065632152a77ea47b7cec0b6.jpg


dec969be5783cfaf4d6ae2e79065e613.jpg


8e8e8a20cb47a4da020ad3eec297f019.jpg


a1c8f0e7e6bfd2703814971d55a7cc30.jpg


still fun! lol
 
Never had heated gear. But where I now live, if I were going to continue riding, I would invest in self-heated gloves.

My jacket is only an LL Bean lined 'warm up,' jacket. I have had several armored motorcycle jackets, but they are very bulky to strap on the back seat when the weather warms up.

For riding in the low 40s F, a cardboard "chest protector" inserted into the front of the jacket,makes a good (and disposable) windbreak.

The best motorcycle jacket that I ever had was a Malcolm Smith Racing jacket with armor on elbows, shoulders back and chest, but it weighed about 8 lb, I had no way to strap it on the bike when the weather warmed up, as I like hiking destinations.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Never had heated gear. But where I now live, if I were going to continue riding, I would invest in self-heated gloves.

My jacket is only an LL Bean lined 'warm up,' jacket. I have had several armored motorcycle jackets, but they are very bulky to strap on the back seat when the weather warms up.

For riding in the low 40s F, a cardboard "chest protector" inserted into the front of the jacket,makes a good (and disposable) windbreak.

The best motorcycle jacket that I ever had was a Malcolm Smith Racing jacket with armor on elbows, shoulders back and chest, but it weighed about 8 lb, I had no way to strap it on the bike when the weather warmed up, as I like hiking destinations.
Lots of great ideas in this thread for staying warm! Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and experience!
 
It’s been a while since I sold my CB but I’m still in it. I have always ridden year round. I’m in South East PA and we get winter temps in the teens. I don’t ’go riding’ in the winter but I do take the bikes out weekly for short rides to get them up to operating temperature and maintain the batteries. I’ll throw on an insulated Carhartt bib and take them out.
 
MM300_imp said:
It’s been a while since I sold my CB but I’m still in it. I have always ridden year round. I’m in South East PA and we get winter temps in the teens. I don’t ’go riding’ in the winter but I do take the bikes out weekly for short rides to get them up to operating temperature and maintain the batteries. I’ll throw on an insulated Carhartt bib and take them out.
That's pretty much what I do, but in N. Texas we seldom get freezing temps. i have no heated gear, but a 30 minute ride to get up to op temp and charge the batt is still doable, but I try not to ride when it's under 50F.
 
For Christmas my sweetie gave me a set of silk under garments, similar to a long-sleeved T-shirt and sweat pants. Going to be 50 degrees and sunny today, so I'm gonna test 'em out this afternoon.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
For Christmas my sweetie gave me a set of silk under garments, similar to a long-sleeved T-shirt and sweat pants. Going to be 50 degrees and sunny today, so I'm gonna test 'em out this afternoon.
Too much information. :blush:
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
For Christmas my sweetie gave me a set of silk under garments, similar to a long-sleeved T-shirt and sweat pants. Going to be 50 degrees and sunny today, so I'm gonna test 'em out this afternoon.
That sounds great. Might want to wear something over them, though.
 
Let us know how it works out. I could use heated grips on my CB
 
Today finally got a two pairs (2 x 2) of Klim D30^4 IP Ghost pads for the knees for my winter riding pants as a holiday special.

No more OEM CE foam pads which were stiff as heck in the cold weather riding.

The new pads are sooooo bliss and should up my winter riding comfort significantly.
 
Went for the silk under-layer test ride yesterday, and they performed flawlessly! (If this is too much info for you, stop reading right now, or continue at your own risk. Not responsible for any damage to your delicate condition) [Insert laughing emoji here.] With the silk garments, wool socks, jeans, a long-sleeve wool pullover shirt, a Schott Perfecto jacket, gauntlet gloves and a full-face helmet, went on a 45 minute ride in the 51 degree mid-afternoon and was toasty warm the whole time.
 
Back
Top