Cold Weather Riding

Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Pauley_imp said:
I must be a wimp - I wont ride if it's below about 35F and I use my heated gloves and jacket liner up to about 55F. ;)
I'm with you there!

I've never experienced electric heated gloves or jacket, but I do keep a couple of chemical pocket warmers with me during the winter months, just in case!
I tried the chemical (or organic?) patch warmers, but for me it was unsustainable in regards to safety. That is, for me I stuffed them down my riding gloves over my veins to help heat the finger tips. It was only marginally more effective than heated grips, but of course with the discomfort of the lump from the sac.
 
Most of my riding has been in SoCal, so winters weren't too bad, tho I did ride in rain more than I wanted to, but here in Texas the winters aren't too bad. If it's too cold today, then the day after tomorrow will usually be OK to ride, but this is only my second winter here.
 
Thread starter
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Most of my riding has been in SoCal, so winters weren't too bad, tho I did ride in rain more than I wanted to, but here in Texas the winters aren't too bad. If it's too cold today, then the day after tomorrow will usually be OK to ride, but this is only my second winter here.
Howdy Charlie, I'm here in North Dallas, so we share the same weather. I can confirm what you're saying about the weather being pretty good. Just be careful about sand and leaves. Last year I think I missed about 10 days in a row due to an ice storm, and when the weather cleared up, the roads had sand all over them!
The ferret_imp said:
I ride all year and have for 57 years. As long as the roads are clear

7e4dda2457a6c2c456e7d45ff6de23cd.jpg


(and sometimes when they aren't lol).

4be78f4cd33467de2fb2c73b792c6f32.jpg


Temperature is not a worry I have good gear that protects me down to below zero.

ec3f23ec447646f17868dc5469c9a87d.jpg
Hardcore! Pic #1 is okay... #2 I'd take a pass. #3... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?!!
 
I'm in Texas too, and I totally get what you mean about those unpredictable winter weeks. I usually ride year-round as well, but I do take it easy when it gets stupid-cold. No fun freezing my butt off! And you're right about the CB1100 potentially becoming a collector's item.
 
I wasn't too clever. Came home early in the week from a trade show in Indiana, and started feeling a bit scratchy a few days later. Started downing zinc and vitamin C and was holding my own, leaving work before it got chilly (our chilly, 50s). But, a few nights ago. I met Mrs. G in Newport Beach after work for the annual Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade. It's one of our must-see events.

Feeling festive, I wore my Biltwell helmet with Santa hat stretched over it. It's full-face, but doesn't cover my chin completely and insulates pretty poorly. Didn't think to bring a neck gaiter. The temps dropped as we watched the parade and had dinner, and it was a pretty long, cold ride home. Felt pretty junky by bedtime, and laid low yesterday.

Had to get bright quick! Today's the company Christmas party, and I play Santa. It will be an even longer, coler ride home from the party, so I grudgingly took the car today.
 
I've had a head cold since Monday. Dayquil and Nyquil have kept the symptoms suppressed, allowing me to sleep at night and to keep riding during the afternoons. Don't have much excess energy though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I've had a head cold since Monday. Dayquil and Nyquil have kept the symptoms suppressed, allowing me to sleep at night and to keep riding during the afternoons. Don't have much excess energy though.
You are covered. That is where the bike comes in. :)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
... I find my regular riding gear doesn't require extra under-garment layers in cold weather (below freezing) riding.
Went for a short ride today on the FJR and I only saw one other bike out and I immediately thought of your post. Temperature was 41F and the other bike was a Harley with a rather large fellow who was only wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt, a leather vest (logo'd of course with whatever riding club he was a member of) and gym shoes. No helmet or glasses of course, cause you know, image. He made a U-turn ahead of me and went my direction which made me think he was out for a pleasure cruise.

The bike had no windscreen and I could see that like you, he was totally comfortable in his regular riding gear as he stuffed his hands under his armpits at every traffic light. I honestly worried that this guy's fingers would work fast enough on the brake if he had to panic stop. 6 miles following him before he turned off into a neighborhood, hopefully because he was home, where he could change into warmer clothes.
 
Whoops_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
... I find my regular riding gear doesn't require extra under-garment layers in cold weather (below freezing) riding.
Went for a short ride today on the FJR and I only saw one other bike out and I immediately thought of your post. Temperature was 41F and the other bike was a Harley with a rather large fellow who was only wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt, a leather vest (logo'd of course with whatever riding club he was a member of) and gym shoes. No helmet or glasses of course, cause you know, image. He made a U-turn ahead of me and went my direction which made me think he was out for a pleasure cruise.

The bike had no windscreen and I could see that like you, he was totally comfortable in his regular riding gear as he stuffed his hands under his armpits at every traffic light. I honestly worried that this guy's fingers would work fast enough on the brake if he had to panic stop. 6 miles following him before he turned off into a neighborhood, hopefully because he was home, where he could change into warmer clothes.
lol - yes. They do walk (and in some cases, ride) among us.

Nonetheless, that is not safely sustainable for an hour ride in those conditions.
 
said it before, saying it again, I'm not tough enough to ride a Harley
 
Whoops_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
... I find my regular riding gear doesn't require extra under-garment layers in cold weather (below freezing) riding.
Went for a short ride today on the FJR and I only saw one other bike out and I immediately thought of your post. Temperature was 41F and the other bike was a Harley with a rather large fellow who was only wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt, a leather vest (logo'd of course with whatever riding club he was a member of) and gym shoes. No helmet or glasses of course, cause you know, image. He made a U-turn ahead of me and went my direction which made me think he was out for a pleasure cruise.

The bike had no windscreen and I could see that like you, he was totally comfortable in his regular riding gear as he stuffed his hands under his armpits at every traffic light. I honestly worried that this guy's fingers would work fast enough on the brake if he had to panic stop. 6 miles following him before he turned off into a neighborhood, hopefully because he was home, where he could change into warmer clothes.
Organ donor ...



... although I don't know which organs would be useful.
 
Back
Top