Winter riding, better than Summer

sanoke_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
This is a general discussion thread so I thought I'd just throw out a thought and let's discuss. There seems to be a mindset amongst the Northern motorcycling community that at some point, you need to put your bike up for the Winter. I can see that for places like Canada or Alaska where you never see the bare road until late Spring but here in the Northern US, there are lots of places where you can continue to ride.

Personally, I prefer Winter to Summer. No bugs or thunderstorms to contend with. Any time I want to stop, I just pull over. Don't have to find some shade to keep from overheating. You can always add more layers to warm up but in the Summer, there is only so much you can take off. Sure you have icy spots you need to watch out for but is that really so different than an oil slick or some loose gravel on the roadway?

And the best part is I have all the good roads to myself. Maybe I don't want to push the issue too much. Others might figure it out too.

Happy Trails!
sanoke
 
I have really been enjoying "fall" temps here in the Delaware area, get to wear all my new protective gear and feel comfortable and safe, fall colors are great....of course I'm talking 50's and 60's.......I guess for winter you would be in the 20's and 30's?
 
When it gets too cold, the tires don't heat up to operating temperature nearly as quickly, so you really need to be careful. Also, unless you're sporting heated gear, the extra layers and thick articles of clothing make it a bit cumbersome. Riding around freezing temps is, IMO, just begging for a problem. I've done it, but I don't relish it.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
I have really been enjoying "fall" temps here in the Delaware area, get to wear all my new protective gear and feel comfortable and safe, fall colors are great....of course I'm talking 50's and 60's.......I guess for winter you would be in the 20's and 30's?
Yes, that would be 20's and 30's as well as teens and below sometimes. I've riden in -10 below (F). Not far, but I've done it.
AzBob_imp said:
When it gets too cold, the tires don't heat up to operating temperature nearly as quickly, so you really need to be careful. Also, unless you're sporting heated gear, the extra layers and thick articles of clothing make it a bit cumbersome. Riding around freezing temps is, IMO, just begging for a problem. I've done it, but I don't relish it.
Yes you have to be careful and mindful of the road conditions but that's part of the joy of riding. I don't find the thick clothing a problem at all. Again, choosing the right gear is part of enjoying the ride.
 
Mid fifties to mid sixties is ideal. Frankly I am too lazy to suit for riding a motorcycle in cold weather. Never tried the heated riding gear and that might make the difference but you can't get much colder above ground then riding in 20 to 30 degree conditions. In my youth I did it a time or two because I had to but it's not in my definition of fun.

Honestly never considered the cold tires. Good point
 
It was 34 when I took off riding Sunday morning, and I just got in from a ride and high temp today was 57. I don't own electrics but I am considering a jacket. Can't decide. Im good down to about 20 before I start thinking maybe I should take the car, but as long as there is no snow/ ice or excessive road salt on the road Im good.
 
When I lived in Duluth Minnesota I rode at least one day out of each month. Once it was ten below; had to cash a payroll check and the car was not running (typical) so took the bike. It was "warm" when I left but when I parked it then came back she was good and frozen so I sheared off both the tach and speedo cables. :P

Went to Ashland Wisconsin in February, while the sun was out it was not too bad. Coming back at night I froze my keister off.
Naturally; in Phoenix (and the southern half of AZ) prime riding season is upon us. Very very nice out there now. Mid-winter the mornings can be down right chilly till the spring warm up. After that Hell returns. :(
 
I am still commuting every day and have seen quite a few days where it is in the upper 20's by the time I get to work in Ann Arbor. I just bought some Tourmaster Coldtec gloves but they still leave your hands cold after 30 minutes on the freeway when its below 40 degrees. I wear a down vest under my three layer cold weather riding coat.

I'm looking into buying a car as my daughter took my F150 and has no plans on returning it, gotta help your kids when they need it. The wife changed positions and hours at U o M so I can't ride with her. We work on opposite sides of Ann Arbor anyway. I really don't want to buy another car but I guess I will have to soon.

As for riding after the ground freezes, I used to all the time. Clear roads meant ride! Three years ago I lowsided four blocks from home on a brand new rear tire on my F4i. Combination of slick new tire, 30 degree mid winter temp and possibly a bit of ice. You could see the spin marks on the side of the tire from breaking traction.
The first time I rode in the winter was in 1970. I remember getting off work in Detroit at 7am and there were four inches of fresh snow on the ground. I rode down the Southfield freeway to Joy road then east on Joy for five miles on my 1968 Triumph Trophy. Such fun!
 
In my neck of the woods, the temperatures are fairly mild. It's not so much the bitter cold as it is the rather constant damp, wetness that sticks around for months on end. I've ridden every month of the year here in Oregon for my commute, but there are plenty of mornings that start out cold enough that I'll pass on riding the bike as the streets become pretty darn slick even if there's no hard freeze. Most days the rain comes in more of a drizzle, but on those days when it's dumping, I can do without riding. Still, I'm not complaining as I'm living where I want to be. I spent 20 years of my life in Texas and never could come to grips with the heat. I'd probably ride less overall if I was still there.
 
We're were in Portland last summer for a family reunion and looked it over as a possible retirement site. Way too much traffic for me, but a very pretty area.
 
sanoke_imp said:
This is a general discussion thread so I thought I'd just throw out a thought and let's discuss. There seems to be a mindset amongst the Northern motorcycling community that at some point, you need to put your bike up for the Winter. I can see that for places like Canada or Alaska where you never see the bare road until late Spring but here in the Northern US, there are lots of places where you can continue to ride.

Personally, I prefer Winter to Summer. No bugs or thunderstorms to contend with. Any time I want to stop, I just pull over. Don't have to find some shade to keep from overheating. You can always add more layers to warm up but in the Summer, there is only so much you can take off. Sure you have icy spots you need to watch out for but is that really so different than an oil slick or some loose gravel on the roadway?

And the best part is I have all the good roads to myself. Maybe I don't want to push the issue too much. Others might figure it out too.

Happy Trails!
sanoke
I with you Sanoke, I never winterize my bikes, I'm in the lower Hudson Valley NY I will suit up with my Gerbing heated clothes anything above 32 degrees. We always get days Dec-Feb in the 40's if were lucky 50's. Now if we can only get these salt brine trucks off the road:s
 
A few years ago I bought a heated vest and an adapter wire so I could plug it into my Battery Tender plug-in, which is on all three bikes. That was the best money I'd ever spent on winter riding gear. I used to bundle up to ride in the winter (and still got cold), now it's just a long-sleeve T-shirt, the vest, and my jacket. :thumbsup:
 
mininsx_imp said:
A few years ago I bought a heated vest and an adapter wire so I could plug it into my Battery Tender plug-in, which is on all three bikes. That was the best money I'd ever spent on winter riding gear. I used to bundle up to ride in the winter (and still got cold), now it's just a long-sleeve T-shirt, the vest, and my jacket. :thumbsup:
Any recommendations for that kind of setup?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
A few years ago I bought a heated vest and an adapter wire so I could plug it into my Battery Tender plug-in, which is on all three bikes. That was the best money I'd ever spent on winter riding gear. I used to bundle up to ride in the winter (and still got cold), now it's just a long-sleeve T-shirt, the vest, and my jacket. :thumbsup:
Any recommendations for that kind of setup?
Any recommendations for that kind of setup?

Hiker..I have been researching this exact thing. There are 2 brands I am considering at this point..Gerbings and Warm n Safe by First Gear. I still have to look at the new Tourmaster stuff though. Unfortunately, like everything in this sport the more you read the more confused you get lol. One guy says this brand is great..next guy says THAT gear is crap and THIS gear is great. Lol. Each brand has positive and negative reviews. Some guys swear by them, some swear at them.

You can get either jacket liner or vest, chaps or pants liners, gloves and socks if you so desire. I'm not sure how much output the CB has, but surely a jacket and gloves would not draw to much current.

If you get just a jacket or vest, you will need a single controller or rheostat for the gear. If you get a jacket and gloves you will likely want a dual controller, or a rheostat for each piece so you can vary the amt of heat to each item. Crank gloves up or crank vest down.

In addition if you plan on plugging in to your battery tender pigtail, you will need an adapter cable for that.

Electric gear is expensive..
$180-250 for jacket or vest
180-200. For gloves
180 250 for pants or chaps
100 for a controller either single or dual
10 for a pig tail adapter for battery tender

Personally I Think Im going to start with a jacket liner and a dual controller and a tender adapter... Thats over $ 350. Funny thing is I have gotten by for 46 years without elect gear, guess Im getting soft in my old age.

Keep in mind you will be tethered to the bike when plugged in. if you get off for anything, even to gas up, or go into a restaurant for lunch, or to stop and get off to take a picture, you must remember to unplug. There are battery powered alternatives, but my research has found very few who have been happy with that kind of gear.


http://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing-heated-jacket-liner-12v.html#.UnFja-e9KSM
 
HikerToo_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
A few years ago I bought a heated vest and an adapter wire so I could plug it into my Battery Tender plug-in, which is on all three bikes. That was the best money I'd ever spent on winter riding gear. I used to bundle up to ride in the winter (and still got cold), now it's just a long-sleeve T-shirt, the vest, and my jacket. :thumbsup:
Any recommendations for that kind of setup?
Any recommendations for that kind of setup?

Hiker,
I run Gerbing's Jacket, pants, gloves and insert sole's. You have to have an outer windproof shell to keep the heat in. I use a 3 season windproof jacket and ski pants.

I have powerlet outlets on all my bikes but can't find a good spot on the CB so i ran a 15amp fused coax ( comes with the gear when purchased )from the battery to the frame which tucks under the seat. As you can see in the pic it goes to a controller which is a must and then too my jacket. The jacket has outlets to the pants and gloves. You can also buy a coax to sae for battery charging from the same outlet.
Coax Male To SAE Cable - Powerlet Products
 
CIP... How much draw for all 4 pieces, and does the CB put out enough amps or watts or? To cover them?
 
The ferret_imp said:
CIP... How much draw for all 4 pieces, and does the CB put out enough amps or watts or? To cover them?
Mickey, here you go

Jacket 6.5
Pants 4.0
glove 2.5
Inserts .5

About 13 amps
When i bought these a few years back my ST had no problem handling the draw. I should really look into the watt rating and convert.

Edit: just contacted my dealer who contacted Honda. Bike puts out 11 amps, better ride this mount without the pants.
 
Thread starter
Just a note on electrics, I've used heated vests, heated grips, and heated insoles in my boots over the years and when they work, it does help a lot. But the thing I found that works best overall and keeps me most confortable is to block the wind. A good full windshield with hand grip coverage and lowers to block the wind on your knees makes a huge differance. I've even fabricated deflectors that blocked the flow of air on my feet. Just remember that air is a great coolant and anything that reduces that airflow works best to keep you warm. There's nothing worse than being 100 miles from home on a cold day and your electric vest quits working. Give me a nice passive solution any day.
 
Back
Top