Whitehouse K17 mods...

Good looking product :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I fitted Triumph gaiters to my CB because they were the easiest to get locally.
They came with black clamps to hold them up in place. They blend so well with the black rubber you can't see them unless you look very hard.
 
Thread starter
Yes! I DID order the clamps and... forgot to pick them up with the gaiters, so now I've gotta go back to collect them... and spend another half an hour or so chatting to the guys about "bikes"! :)

The quality looks/feels really good, as you'd expect of a genuine Honda item. Only time will tell just how good they are.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Yes! I DID order the clamps and... forgot to pick them up with the gaiters, so now I've gotta go back to collect them... and spend another half an hour or so chatting to the guys about "bikes"! :)

The quality looks/feels really good, as you'd expect of a genuine Honda item. Only time will tell just how good they are.
Mr. T. could not tell me if the Honda clamps were black or silver, metal or plastic when I placed my order, so I hope you will post a pic of the clamps along with your impression of them!
 
Thread starter
Will do, 2017EX!

I thought you might all be interested in this... The making of my inexpensive motorcycle work bench...

Motorcycle benches here in the UK are very expensive, starting at about £300 minimum for cheap/basic. I saw on YouTube that a guy had altered his "m/c under-engine lift" into a hydraulic bench (link at end) and I copied him. Briefly, he cut his engine-lift in half, joined the bottom together for strength, and put a work bench bolted to the top supports. It still works in exactly the same way - an 'opening' parallelogram, but 'stretched'!
I had a hydraulic 'bike lifter - the sort that goes under the engine. OK for my trials BSA but no good, really, to work on the CB safely. It cost me about £34 a few years ago. With an additional £60-£70 spent on wood and steel, plus bolts, etc., the end result has cost me well under £130. I'm very pleased with it.

4633d4964bddeeabbccea789effa5719.jpg

The raw materials. The narrow plank is just to work out lengths and positions of bolt holes, etc., so I dont have to manhandle the big sheets. The strip of metal angle was inadequate and has been replaced by lengths of stronger steel.

32d7615785446cc5656274fd734ede83.jpg

Cut here!

8fff9735b1741ed09cec015832c013fb.jpg

374880864560bb6a5f759e95c3a0a97d.jpg

The two halves.

68d261af5556fb23eb0b39fe0b8ee5d0.jpg

Gauging the lengths and how the parts will bolt back together.

6d7da464ce77d2feef4045d32024aef9.jpg

Drilling the holes to fix the steel angle.

d1107ab4e4d8b5eec988b6706c273822.jpg

Cleaning up the cut ends.

8b165a9114e2c94d3cba46ea1dd6000e.jpg

Ring bolts fitted to existing bolts for securing the m/cycle on the bench.

efed9109085514ffe072b448c714a36c.jpg

Bolting up the bench.

53b49725de47c5de5caa2373880cc4ec.jpg

Finished! With short access ramp. I might make that a bit longer in the light of experience.

My inspiration:
Thanks, PrometheanLiver. :)
 
Interesting. You can never have enough ramp length imo
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Interesting. You can never have enough ramp length imo
And width too. It's nice to be able have tools (big tools too) laid out in the bench where you're working. But it's s balance because I only have a small workshop/garage.
 
Thread starter
Saw the 'bike for the first time on Friday... Woo hoo!!

I also spotted a bit of damage I wasn't aware of - one rear-view mirror scraped and the handlebar end weight graunched. No big problem.

The plastic of the instrument housing has a slight scrape that I may be able to sort. Anyone know if the plastic housing is available as a separate item? My parts guy will know, but I'm not seeing him until next week.

But... a BIG problem with the hitch on my trailer, so I wasn't able to bring the 'bike home, despite heaving and sweating for over an hour in the pouring rain... :(
I'll get a motorcycle delivery service to bring it down (300+ miles).

The Samurider rear light has arrived now, to be delivered tomorrow, so I can get on and make the 'bike roadworthy.

If only I had the 'bike... :(
 
Brazbro,

Pretty much all the meter parts are available. Here is a link that show them. Its a '17 model as we don't have '18 models in the US so its not shown. I'm pretty sure there are on-line parts houses in the UK, but right at the moment I don't have a link for any.

But this will give you the idea: https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5907902087a8660d54fac32e/meter
 
Thread starter
Many thanks, Popgun. That looks good.
I have looked at UK parts places in the past - ill do some searches.
But thanks for that link. :)
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Saw the 'bike for the first time on Friday... Woo hoo!!

I also spotted a bit of damage I wasn't aware of - one rear-view mirror scraped and the handlebar end weight graunched. No big problem.

The plastic of the instrument housing has a slight scrape that I may be able to sort. Anyone know if the plastic housing is available as a separate item? My parts guy will know, but I'm not seeing him until next week.

But... a BIG problem with the hitch on my trailer, so I wasn't able to bring the 'bike home, despite heaving and sweating for over an hour in the pouring rain... :(
I'll get a motorcycle delivery service to bring it down (300+ miles).

The Samurider rear light has arrived now, to be delivered tomorrow, so I can get on and make the 'bike roadworthy.

If only I had the 'bike... :(
Nothing is ever simple with our hobbies !
 
Thanks Cormanus,

I'll save that link in my favorites!
 
Thread starter
Yes, thanks Cormanus - that's not a link I've seen before and it looks a good 'un!

That's a "favourite" for me too .
 
Thread starter
While I was sizing the 'bike and trailer up, I replaced the broken handlebar levers and fitted the new ones.

f80ac3bc25413dddb5f2608ec693ce1f.jpg


80e8de08d5356d6c73bcefe62b0420df.jpg


It would not have been possible for me alone to have moved the 'bike without use of the front brake. I was hoping to use the engine to pull the 'bike onto the trailer, hence fitting the clutch lever too, but... the battery was flat! I'd assumed it would be, but ya never know.

I couldn't believe how much heavier the CB is than my BMW - a good 55 pounds heavier. Now I'm getting older it's becoming surprisingly difficult to move big motorcycles about, something I never even thought about just a few years ago. As my dear old Dad used to say "Don't grow old, Son!". As if we have any choice! :)
 
I only notice the weight when shoving the bike around and when pumping up my motorcycle ramp. BTW please do be careful when using your new ramp that it is capable of taking the weight and that the bike is stable when on it. Sorry for stating the obvious but you don't want any disasters I'm sure .
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Lodger. Yes, I've taken all that into consideration. The 'bike will not only be strapped to the bench front and rear (so a strap could be temporarily removed if working in that area), but it will also be "suspended" by a safety strap from an overhead loading winch I have in my garage (used for moving heavy items).
You can see the strapping points here...
b30b1624c9b2698bcbc2360d6ab4d184.jpg


My first job will be swapping the rear mudguard and rear light which, ironically, will NOT involve lifting the ramp up! :)
 
Bazbro

Good to see you have the ramp thing covered ( I can sleep easy now ! ).

Can you not just buy standard parts from your local Honda dealer ?

Cheers
 
Thread starter
the lodger_imp said:
Bazbro

Good to see you have the ramp thing covered ( I can sleep easy now ! ).

Can you not just buy standard parts from your local Honda dealer ?

Cheers
Yes, I am buying standard parts from my local Honda dealer. All the parts so far, rear mudguard, engine case, levers, gaiters, and now mirror and bar weight. The rear light is Samurider from Japan, as will most/all the other Whitehouse bits.

I particularly wanted a good relationship with the dealer, which fortunately I have (in case I get any big technical problems).

And I'm glad you're sleeping easy!! :)
 
Back
Top