Whitehouse K17 mods...

Bazbro_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'll make this the first of a series of occasional postings as to how my "crashed CB1100" rebuild is progressing. It's gonna take me until August, I reckon, not because it's that badly damaged but because I've had an unexpected financial hit that will take me until then to get over!!

The story so far... I owned my CB750 new in 1972 (now long gone) and then fell in love with a Whitehouse complete conversion of a CB1100 that I saw for sale in France.

I set about looking for a CB1100 that I could convert and found a crashed one for a remarkably low price. The damage is slight and superficial - tank, seat, exhaust pipe (one), engine left side cover, levers and rear mudguard, plus cracked engine mount.

Yesterday, I had a great meeting with my local Honda dealer (Torbay Motorcycles), Mike the manager is 'on board' with what I'm trying to achieve and is very enthusiastic! All parts ordered!

I then made contact with my welder who sees no problem repairing the engine mount. In situ as well! Phew!

I now have to go up North to a mate's garage to collect the 'bike as he's kindly stored it for me. It'll be my first sight of it...

As I've only just returned to the UK from France, I'm having to register ownership of the 'bike and declare to the authorities that is not on the road yet (otherwise I pay tax).

I already have the workshop manual, thanks to a VERY kind member on here. So that's where I am now.

Today's task is to clear space in the garage, shove the Beemer out of the way (the BSA is away being restored at the mo) and to make a workbench. Just those two jobs will probably take me to August!! Oh, and I have to put better lighting in the garage to make it a "workshop".

Adiós, amigos! :)
 
Thread starter
Yeah... D'oh! Never spotted my spellchecker 'helping' me!! Twice, too! Sorry... :(

Admin... I can't edit it now. Can you help please? To quickly cover my embarrassment!

Yes, Hag - Candy Glory Red... THE best colour ever for a motorcycle, imho.
Have you noticed how Honda keep changing their reds? All sorts of shades and their latest, 2019 red is a ghastly "boiled sweet" red/pink colour - and the sort of boiled sweet that you wouldn't want to put in your mouth!!
If you have Candy Glory Red in your range, why on earth would you want to degrade it to a lesser shade? They should follow VolksWagen, who have used their Mars Red for DECADES.

(Ps, Wellhouse are a campervan (RV) specialist I've had correspondence with)
 
Heck your original post was made at 3:12 AM...I was asleep! Sometimes we are right at the computer, an sometimes we have already checked in, looked at things and moved on to other things in life like homes,family and riding. But we will get around to checking and fixing things again, eventually lol. We like to think we are worth every penny we are paid to do the job.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Ferret. :)

I posted it 8am UK time... I was asleep at 3am too!! ;)

Yup! You're worth every penny of our subs...! :D
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Thanks, Ferret. :)

I posted it 8am UK time... I was asleep at 3am too!! ;)

Yup! You're worth every penny of our subs...! :D

:rofl: thanks :beerchug:

You know it's funny but I wake up in the morning , check in before even having my breakfast Tea, and wonder why people are posting at 1am, 2 am, 3 am, 4 am, 5 am and don't much think about the time differences around the world.
 
Thread starter
That's what's nice about international forums... New posts ready for when you wake up and then all the way through the day. :)
 
Thread starter
The first parts have arrived, to repair the CB back to roadworthy condition - levers, rear mudguard, engine lh cover. The Whitehouse rear light is on its way from Japan, courtesy of Samurider.
I still don't have the 'bike here in my garage yet. I'm servicing the trailer this weekend and then I plan to go up to Manchester (north of England) to trailer it back.
79e655bdc16eba7712075b6f9fc2fcff.jpg
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
And now the money starts flowing.....
:D :D :D :-/

Unfortunately, I have a family matter that's been sprung upon me that I have to take care of first. It's put my schedule back a couple of months. We'll see...
 
Hear, hear. I hope everything is OK, Bazbro.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, guys.
A bigger project for me because, unlike some of you folks, I am no mechanic. Yeah, I can bolt/unbolt stuff, but I REALLY need this workshop manual, just to change the lightbulbs!!
I'm annoyed about the financial hiccup because I'm all fired up and ready to go NOW!
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Thanks, guys.
A bigger project for me because, unlike some of you folks, I am no mechanic. Yeah, I can bolt/unbolt stuff, but I REALLY need this workshop manual, just to change the lightbulbs!!
I'm annoyed about the financial hiccup because I'm all fired up and ready to go NOW!
You are not alone. I am sure many at the Forum can associate with changes in personal priorities. With the spirit you have shown your fellow members, I am pretty sure you will arrive at your project destination.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Woo-hoo! HONDA fork gaiters acquired. Genuine Honda part for 2019 CB1100.
Just arrived...
0f6c7099384406146d5ffc72c5174600.jpg
I dont know if you got the clamp bands for the upper ends of the boots or not. I have not received my boots from Mr. T. yet, because I ordered the Honda clamps as well, and they were on back order. Mr. T had said the clamps should be back in stock the first week of June. Back in the day, all the fork boots had upper clamp bands, then too I think it better to have them on hand to install with the boots while the forks are apart. I gave the Honda clamp part numbers in this post, #17, as well as two other options. http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14211&pid=238311#pid238311
 
Back
Top