White House K10 - a story of regeneration

Ninemeister_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I think that Peter likes the fumes of the epoxy paints....
To be honest I like the smell of oils and other "garage" odors .
I hear ya.

I don't want to get going on that thought.

Must, ..., stay, ... on, ... K10, ... tuh, ... pick. (br-ane, ..., iz, ... her, ... tin.)
I hear ya.

I don't want to get going on that thought.

Must, ..., stay, ... on, ... K10, ... tuh, ... pick. (br-ane, ..., iz, ... her, ... tin.)
I hear ya.

Here you go, a little sketch I did for Baz's K17 project:
I hear ya.

I don't want to get going on that thought.

Must, ..., stay, ... on, ... K10, ... tuh, ... pick. (br-ane, ..., iz, ... her, ... tin.)
I hear ya.

Here you go, a little sketch I did for Baz's K17 project:
That is some free hand sketch!!

Bazbro_imp said:
Ah the paint job.... soon... soooon... ;)
Houtman_imp said:
I am getting high just reading about Nine's bike !
:rofl:

Hey! Put the cap back on - now.
 
Thread starter
The front wheel seal arrived today, delivered for £2.35, which of course begged the question why the previous owner/mechanic bodged the job in the first place?

The actual wheel bearing is a 2RS version - i.e. has rubber seals on either side and is greased for life, hence the only job the shaft seal has to do is prevent the dirt and weather getting to the bearing. To help it out and reduce wear on the aluminium spacer (which the seal runs on) I packed it with clear grease and it popped in with thumb pressure either side.

I have strong thumbs.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
That 2nd pic, greenish/bluish colour does not appeal to me.
Yes to the last pic, black, on a lighter/contrast colour panels.
Your project + your decision = you'll love it.
The photos are off the internet PB, so both are just chrome & black reflecting their surroundings.

I've honestly not decided yet.
My thoughts are that the 1150 appeals more as it sounds similar to 750 when said, but I prefer the oem look & quality of the 1100 badge. White House took the easy/cheap route by using a chrome/black decal with the "four" off a 750 badge which is surprising given the cost of the kit.
I guess what I'm saying is that I want an 1150 badge that looks like the 1100 version, but can't find one (yet). Worst case, I suppose I could have some made.
The photos are off the internet PB, so both are just chrome & black reflecting their surroundings.

I've honestly not decided yet.
My thoughts are that the 1150 appeals more as it sounds similar to 750 when said, but I prefer the oem look & quality of the 1100 badge. White House took the easy/cheap route by using a chrome/black decal with the "four" off a 750 badge which is surprising given the cost of the kit.
I guess what I'm saying is that I want an 1150 badge that looks like the 1100 version, but can't find one (yet). Worst case, I suppose I could have some made.
OK, I got it.
I would say, you should first get the major things painted and assembled.
Then you can play with any smaller accents like badges to see how these play to your liking. Knowing the internet and colour printing power, you can even print them out and place a badge on your side panel prior buying. Have a thin cardboard behind it to imitate 3D. Take a look at it from a distance. Sure is not the same as a real badge but at least you can see how your eye and brain react to it.

I believe that in many cases, the first snapped picture that remains in your brain is what you may look for, desire or like...just a thought.
Also, you have to filter too many advisors...like me :rolleyes:

Drumroll... its finally time for paint.

PB, you were right, of course. To a point.

The first CB1100 K10 I stumbled across on Pinterest was the Candy Blue Green Samurider bike I featured on page 1 of this thread (and below). In a nutshell, I fell in love at first sight with that bike and within minutes was working on a plan to build my own.

Roll forward and I've bought a white K10, I had it in pieces, and whilst the painted parts were away I turned my attention to the mechanics and began to wonder about the history of the bike. Frame number indicates that it's a Japanese bike and interestingly I found the paint code sticker still on the frame. The original colour code is PB-308P which turns out to be a seemingly rare Pearl Spencer Blue.

Photos courtesy of Takashi, Samurider (the tank for sale if anyone is interested).

Blue it is then. But the question is, which one?
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
That 2nd pic, greenish/bluish colour does not appeal to me.
Yes to the last pic, black, on a lighter/contrast colour panels.
Your project + your decision = you'll love it.
The photos are off the internet PB, so both are just chrome & black reflecting their surroundings.

I've honestly not decided yet.
My thoughts are that the 1150 appeals more as it sounds similar to 750 when said, but I prefer the oem look & quality of the 1100 badge. White House took the easy/cheap route by using a chrome/black decal with the "four" off a 750 badge which is surprising given the cost of the kit.
I guess what I'm saying is that I want an 1150 badge that looks like the 1100 version, but can't find one (yet). Worst case, I suppose I could have some made.
The photos are off the internet PB, so both are just chrome & black reflecting their surroundings.

I've honestly not decided yet.
My thoughts are that the 1150 appeals more as it sounds similar to 750 when said, but I prefer the oem look & quality of the 1100 badge. White House took the easy/cheap route by using a chrome/black decal with the "four" off a 750 badge which is surprising given the cost of the kit.
I guess what I'm saying is that I want an 1150 badge that looks like the 1100 version, but can't find one (yet). Worst case, I suppose I could have some made.
OK, I got it.
I would say, you should first get the major things painted and assembled.
Then you can play with any smaller accents like badges to see how these play to your liking. Knowing the internet and colour printing power, you can even print them out and place a badge on your side panel prior buying. Have a thin cardboard behind it to imitate 3D. Take a look at it from a distance. Sure is not the same as a real badge but at least you can see how your eye and brain react to it.

I believe that in many cases, the first snapped picture that remains in your brain is what you may look for, desire or like...just a thought.
Also, you have to filter too many advisors...like me :rolleyes:

Drumroll... its finally time for paint.

PB, you were right, of course. To a point.

The first CB1100 K10 I stumbled across on Pinterest was the Candy Blue Green Samurider bike I featured on page 1 of this thread (and below). In a nutshell, I fell in love at first sight with that bike and within minutes was working on a plan to build my own.

Roll forward and I've bought a white K10, I had it in pieces, and whilst the painted parts were away I turned my attention to the mechanics and began to wonder about the history of the bike. Frame number indicates that it's a Japanese bike and interestingly I found the paint code sticker still on the frame. The original colour code is PB-308P which turns out to be a seemingly rare Pearl Spencer Blue.

Photos courtesy of Takashi, Samurider (the tank for sale if anyone is interested).

Blue it is then. But the question is, which one?

Drumroll... its finally time for paint.

PB, you were right, of course. To a point.

The first CB1100 K10 I stumbled across on Pinterest was the Candy Blue Green Samurider bike I featured on page 1 of this thread (and below). In a nutshell, I fell in love at first sight with that bike and within minutes was working on a plan to build my own.

Roll forward and I've bought a white K10, I had it in pieces, and whilst the painted parts were away I turned my attention to the mechanics and began to wonder about the history of the bike. Frame number indicates that it's a Japanese bike and interestingly I found the paint code sticker still on the frame. The original colour code is PB-308P which turns out to be a seemingly rare Pearl Spencer Blue.

Photos courtesy of Takashi, Samurider (the tank for sale if anyone is interested).

Blue it is then. But the question is, which one?


I've always had a thing for this blue.

I think PB too, but he went to white.
 
Yap, that's 2014 Canadian blue, like my CB when bought it used a few years ago, and then installed the EX pearl white tank from Mr. T.
Dark blue is a "heavier" looking colour and you already have a "fat" seat and black gaiters, overall may look too heavy tho...just a thought...
You are the one to make your final decision, choose wisely to your liking = good luck:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
After discussing the issue with Mike of how to accurately replicate the original Candy Blue Green paint that was built with layers of translucent layers, we decided to go with a modern equivalent that could be applied through the modern method of a single base coat covered in clear lacquer.

And so it began, flatting off the primer, building the layers of colour base coat to an even thickness, then laying out the stripe on the tank.

Perhaps counterintuitively, the black of the stripe is painted first, then once dried is further masked and painted over in the gold.
 
Thread starter
When it came to the stripe, Mike had his say and replicated the black on gold of the original white tank, with the gold selected to complement the colour of the wheels. In hindsight the black stripe is probably more balanced on my bike due to additional black of the 2014 engine, so I'm going to go with it as it will probably grow on me.

Base coat stripes done, it was lacquer time. We shot three coats of clear coat over a 2 week period, two initial coats followed by a full flat down prior to the last "flow" coat. This process built up the depth enough to "lose" the thickness variation of the base coat on the stripes when flatting off, hence once polished the final coat shows no edge to the stripe.

Painting. Done.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
A beautiful composition :thumbsup:*** and go with the flow
Thanks PB, I will. Hey, at the end of the day it's just paint, so if I don't grow to love it there is no reason why we couldn't do another quick colour change.

Let the assembly begin.

I started with the front end. Having already chopped off the original indicator mounts and painted the resulting scar on the frames, it was a simple job to fit the White House headlight mounts, put a light coat of grease on the new fork tubes, fit the plastic spacers and slip in the painted headlamp ears.

Well, I say simple, but with hands covered in grease it was the devil's own job the get the top spacer in place with one hand, lift up the fork with the other whilst also keeping the ratchet between my knees ready to nip up the pinch bolt when everything lined up. You get the picture.
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
A beautiful composition :thumbsup:*** and go with the flow
Thanks PB, I will. Hey, at the end of the day it's just paint, so if I don't grow to love it there is no reason why we couldn't do another quick colour change.

Let the assembly begin.

I started with the front end. Having already chopped off the original indicator mounts and painted the resulting scar on the frames, it was a simple job to fit the White House headlight mounts, put a light coat of grease on the new fork tubes, fit the plastic spacers and slip in the painted headlamp ears.

Well, I say simple, but with hands covered in grease it was the devil's own job the get the top spacer in place with one hand, lift up the fork with the other whilst also keeping the ratchet between my knees ready to nip up the pinch bolt when everything lined up. You get the picture.
Thanks PB, I will. Hey, at the end of the day it's just paint, so if I don't grow to love it there is no reason why we couldn't do another quick colour change.

Let the assembly begin.

I started with the front end. Having already chopped off the original indicator mounts and painted the resulting scar on the frames, it was a simple job to fit the White House headlight mounts, put a light coat of grease on the new fork tubes, fit the plastic spacers and slip in the painted headlamp ears.

Well, I say simple, but with hands covered in grease it was the devil's own job the get the top spacer in place with one hand, lift up the fork with the other whilst also keeping the ratchet between my knees ready to nip up the pinch bolt when everything lined up. You get the picture.
And your third hand to capture the wonderful work effort with your camera. :)
 
Great work, ninemeister. That tank is a glorious colour.
 
A fantastic job, Nine, with a fabulous result.

And I thought the same as GO about "holding the camera", too!

I should mention here, publicly, the huge amount of valuable assistance you've freely given me, so that I can achieve my own 'K10'. A heartfelt "Thanks, mate!" :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
A beautiful composition :thumbsup:*** and go with the flow
Thanks PB, I will. Hey, at the end of the day it's just paint, so if I don't grow to love it there is no reason why we couldn't do another quick colour change.

Let the assembly begin.

I started with the front end. Having already chopped off the original indicator mounts and painted the resulting scar on the frames, it was a simple job to fit the White House headlight mounts, put a light coat of grease on the new fork tubes, fit the plastic spacers and slip in the painted headlamp ears.

Well, I say simple, but with hands covered in grease it was the devil's own job the get the top spacer in place with one hand, lift up the fork with the other whilst also keeping the ratchet between my knees ready to nip up the pinch bolt when everything lined up. You get the picture.
Thanks PB, I will. Hey, at the end of the day it's just paint, so if I don't grow to love it there is no reason why we couldn't do another quick colour change.

Let the assembly begin.

I started with the front end. Having already chopped off the original indicator mounts and painted the resulting scar on the frames, it was a simple job to fit the White House headlight mounts, put a light coat of grease on the new fork tubes, fit the plastic spacers and slip in the painted headlamp ears.

Well, I say simple, but with hands covered in grease it was the devil's own job the get the top spacer in place with one hand, lift up the fork with the other whilst also keeping the ratchet between my knees ready to nip up the pinch bolt when everything lined up. You get the picture.
And your third hand to capture the wonderful work effort with your camera. :)
Yeah, there was that. Knees come in handy, and there were a few out-takes!

Cormanus_imp said:
Great work, ninemeister. That tank is a glorious colour.
Thank you. Not quite as green as I wanted but lovely none the less and of course it will look different again in the sunlight, when we next get some...

Bazbro_imp said:
A fantastic job, Nine, with a fabulous result.

And I thought the same as GO about "holding the camera", too!

I should mention here, publicly, the huge amount of valuable assistance you've freely given me, so that I can achieve my own 'K10'. A heartfelt "Thanks, mate!" :thumbsup:
Thank you, and you're very welcome. If a little bit of effort from me helps you achieve your dream "K17" that's more than enough reward.

But I will take you up on the offer of a pint sometime. :beerchug:


More coming up later, nearly all the parts I ordered have arrived so we're on the home straight now.
 
Thread starter
For some reason or another, the left indicator has a M8 thread, whereas the right is M10. Left also has wire guide (which is factory according to the manual) but the right just had a plain nut. Either way, that's how they got refitted with a sleeve in the headlamp bowl on the left side to reduce the diameter of the hole.

It never ceases to amaze me to how much wiring can be crammed into the headlight bowl. Fortunately it all wraps around the top, leaving a hole in the middle for the light unit.

I did see that the headlight reflector had been drilled to fit a small side light lamp, presumably as some form of UK import requirement? I left it in for now and made a note to tidy up the wiring and (somehow) clean the inside of the headlamp later.
 
When they install wiring looms into cars they have to warm them up quite a bit to make them more pliable , perhaps they do the same when they install them on a bike.
 
It's an ABS plastic headlamp shell, isn't it? No future rust in there! :D

That's a very good point about heating the wiring loom, John. I've never thought about it, but of course, it makes perfect sense. That's a tip I shall remember. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top