White House K10 - a story of regeneration

very nice work, in the garage and in the yard
 
Houtman_imp said:
Very nice yard and yes it is important to keep the wife happy so she lets us do our thing with our bikes.
Absolutely, very important statement John :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Thank you boys, glad to know we all share similar experiences.

So here we are, on the home straight so with no further ado it's full throttle to the finish line:

Side panels fitted, I did a quick check to see that both were set at the same height under the fuel tank and also both level. They were, thankfully, but to achieve symmetry the right panel had to be spring down slightly to get the screw in place, a reminder that these White House panels are very much hand made which does go some way to explain the cost.

Talking about White House, they also made the brackets at the rear of the grab handles as part of the K10 seat conversion. I played with the spacers a little to achieve a better fit to the seat, large between alloy grabs and mounts, small between bracket and frame.

OK, so now to show that not everything goes right first time. The speedo needle alignment was clearly not right as the gauge indicated 70mph whilst stationary. The answer was to strip it down (which meant removing the headlight for a 4th time!), plug in and power up from the key. In the end I discovered that you could adjust it by rotating to the mechanical stop (at ~ 6 o'clock position) and gently using the pointer to go further, then test it again. I did to a video but can't post it here, however after roughly 10 attempts the final adjustment gave me 0mph when on. Tip here is that you have to gently bend the pointer up over the dial stop to rotate clockwise and increase the static speed.

Fiddly bits over, time to fit the re-polished Wyvern 4-into-4. Lovely.
 
Thread starter
Side panel badging:

First job - the Honda wing badge. I went with orange to complement the gold wheels and of course match to the front & rear CB750 indicators. Can't lie - I stuck the first one on by eye. I had to trust my judgement on the position in the belief that if it looks right, it must be right.

When it came to the final decision over the 1100 Four vs 1150 Four, it came down to the quality. The 1100 version I found was a larger, chromed all metal badge, the 1150 smaller and chromed plastic (but still nice). Game over.
 
The best I like are the azure paint and the Honda tank emblem. Your bike looks really good. :thumbsup:
Is this project almost complete??
Time to :biker:
 
Thread starter
Today's jobs sorted (fixing the speedo & tracing a blown fuse on the indicators), the 1100 engine fired up first time and ran like silk. Had to go out for the afternoon, so with the chain adjustment and brake fluid change re-scheduled for one night in the week it was finally time to show the Honda some daylight.

White House K0 regeneration - done.
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
Today's jobs sorted (fixing the speedo & tracing a blown fuse on the indicators), the 1100 engine fired up first time and ran like silk. Had to go out for the afternoon, so with the chain adjustment and brake fluid change re-scheduled for one night in the week it was finally time to show the Honda some daylight.

White House K0 regeneration - done.
Bravo!
 
Well done, Nine... It really is a beauty.

The colour is not that far off my friend's blue CB750 - we had one each, mine back in 1972 (mine was gold) and 1973 for his.

Whatever, it's a beautiful-looking 'bike, and you should be rightly proud of bringing it back to life.

Congratulations. :thumbsup:
 
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-



 
Thread starter
lash_imp said:
Wing badges are backwards....beautiful bike !
I never even noticed they were handed!!
:rofl:

Thanks, will amend my schoolboy error accordingly.
PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
Thank you!
And of course to make people think the bike was a lot older than it is was the plan from the outset - thanks to White House for making it happen.


PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
The CB is on the road but that doesn't mean it's finished. As you rightly point out, the alloy doesn't work so well so I've already been working out how to replace the 2014 grab rails with an old school chrome tube version...


PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
That's lovely.
I'm also glad I'm not the only one with the Honda wings pointing backwards. :beerchug:
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
Today's jobs sorted (fixing the speedo & tracing a blown fuse on the indicators), the 1100 engine fired up first time and ran like silk. Had to go out for the afternoon, so with the chain adjustment and brake fluid change re-scheduled for one night in the week it was finally time to show the Honda some daylight.

White House K0 regeneration - done.
Congrats on your achievement and WH K10 completion.
You've got the ultimate and beautiful bike and be proud of it :thumbsup:
Ride safe!
 
Gorgeous ... but honestly, until it gets some Rlets it's not really "done" now is it?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Gorgeous ... but honestly, until it gets some Rlets it's not really "done" now is it?
I'm up for that, however on the basis that I'm already 10% over budget, maybe we could pass the hat around and have someone send me a pair to fit?
:beerchug:
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
lash_imp said:
Wing badges are backwards....beautiful bike !
I never even noticed they were handed!!
:rofl:

Thanks, will amend my schoolboy error accordingly.
PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
Thank you!
And of course to make people think the bike was a lot older than it is was the plan from the outset - thanks to White House for making it happen.


PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
The CB is on the road but that doesn't mean it's finished. As you rightly point out, the alloy doesn't work so well so I've already been working out how to replace the 2014 grab rails with an old school chrome tube version...


PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
That's lovely.
I'm also glad I'm not the only one with the Honda wings pointing backwards. :beerchug:


As far as I know- the wings on my '76 were factory. That picture is from over 20 years ago- and to my knowledge the bike was stock and unmolested.



As for the side garnish- just take it off, and bolt on the grab bar.


That is what I did to my bike-



49d2174a77b30ca8424b83174756dd41.jpg
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
lash_imp said:
Wing badges are backwards....beautiful bike !
I never even noticed they were handed!!
:rofl:

Thanks, will amend my schoolboy error accordingly.
PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
Thank you!
And of course to make people think the bike was a lot older than it is was the plan from the outset - thanks to White House for making it happen.


PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
The CB is on the road but that doesn't mean it's finished. As you rightly point out, the alloy doesn't work so well so I've already been working out how to replace the 2014 grab rails with an old school chrome tube version...


PowerDubs_imp said:
That bike is STUNNING.

I'd say the best of the early style retro CB I have seen.

Only nitpicks I'd say-which are totally personal preference- would be to add shocks with a long chrome cover, remove the rear 'garnish' that don't fit the old style, and add a grab bar.

But that's me. You be you. And be VERY proud of the work you put into it and what the result is.

99% of people will think it is OLD.

Here is my old '76 for comparison-
That's lovely.
I'm also glad I'm not the only one with the Honda wings pointing backwards. :beerchug:


As far as I know- the wings on my '76 were factory. That picture is from over 20 years ago- and to my knowledge the bike was stock and unmolested.



As for the side garnish- just take it off, and bolt on the grab bar.


That is what I did to my bike-



49d2174a77b30ca8424b83174756dd41.jpg
As for the side garnish- just take it off, and bolt on the grab bar.

That is what I did to my bike-

93a9e0d3e50e7e3567c96e84ee2262a8.jpg

Looks great on a stock bike, but you can't use that grab rail with the K10 kit as the seat is modified to drop down over the sides of the rear frame section. More importantly, for a rail to visually work seamlessly in to the K10 style the rail needs to be set horizontally - i.e. on the same line as the bottom of the tank - which is the most characteristic design feature of the CB750.

Furthermore I will also have to incorporate brackets for the CB750 indicators, the originals being hollow splined shafts with the indicator housing clamped over.

No rush, I'll work something out that looks right when I get the time, but many thanks for your contribution.
 
Just lovely, nine. Well done.
 
Back
Top