What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Still working to get all of the airheads back up and on the road for the summer.  This one sat 3 years.  I pickled it pretty good, but still had stuck floats and a failed relay (and of course the battery) to contend with along with fluid changes.

While this thing isn't the sexiest of older BMWs, it's a real pleasure to ride.

lSXHCZd.jpeg
 
Thread starter
I dont remember a BMW with a seat like that up on the tank
 
If I recall correctly, the relay, rectifier, alternator and poor electrical contacts were common issues in older BMW models...
 
the Ferret said:
I dont remember a BMW with a seat like that up on the tank
1995 R100R Classic.  It was the last airhead produced and mine is from near the end of that year.  


peterbaron said:
If I recall correctly, the relay, rectifier, alternator and poor electrical contacts were common issues in older BMW models...
It varies by year, but there are definitely vagaries associated with the ignition systems in these things.  Parts are readily available though, and the bikes are easy to work on, which is part of the attraction.  And there are aftermarket upgrades for those who want a more modern ignition system retrofitted.  In my experience anyway (I have 5 vintage BMWs ranging from 1957 to 1995) they actually hold up well for their age.
 
Still thinking about the vintage BMWs I saw at the McQueen show recently and a conversation about their virtues with a rider at Bike Shed. And since Big Brother is always listening, now 70s and 80s vintage BMWs are in my suggested items on FB marketplace. Very tempting.

But, this story reminds me that I haven’t seen my Enfield since March…
 
Put over 200 miles on it with a bit of mild trails and even a couple of stream crossings thrown in.  Sort of a gray misty couple of days.  Black and white captures the mood a bit more accurately than color.  For an old bike loaded with gear in the cases, it does pretty well.

0Idw6py.jpeg


uxlGpK4.jpeg


uhzby1z.jpeg
 
It is a great motorcycle with a lot of soul. You will have many adverntures together. David
 
I have had my refurbished forks in a box next to my Daytona 1200 for many months, I had put reassembly on the long long finger. This weekend I forced myself to drop everything and refit them, rebuild the partially stripped fairing, get the wheel on etc. and go for a ride on Sunday. Well it all came together, I did 120 miles on it.

I had forgotten what a joy it is to ride this bike, especially with the Michelin Road 6 tyres fitted. I have the fork springs made for my weight, a rear Wilbers shock, again made for my weight and riding preference (comfortable at my age). I had previously changed the clip ons to an LSL Superbike Bars conversion giving me a street bar configuration and converted the footpegs to that of the Trophy Touring model which lowers them significantly.

A bike that is actually worth very little, they are not sort after, maybe worth $2-$3K USD but very rewarding nevertheless. I don't mind admitting I find the seating triangle quite a bit more comfortable than my CB1100EX :-0

Now approaching its 30th birthday my annual road tax is less than $36 USD, there is no annual inspection here in Ireland and I have it insured for a premium of $120 USD a year on a multibike policy - essentially it costs me nothing bar an odd oil change and petrol on a day out. For the amount I ride it annually the tyres, chains and brake pads etc will last me many years to come and incur no extra cost.

I will say this bike took some sorting though, I spent many hours stripping carbs, fixing parts, refurbing brakes etc. These older bikes only make sense if you can "spanner" yourself.

[attachment=1539]
 

Attachments

  • 1995 Daytona 1200.webp
    1995 Daytona 1200.webp
    189.1 KB · Views: 53
Last night, took Super Bird to the Frida Theater in Santa Ana to meet up with my best friend to grab dinner and watch Young Frankenstein in celebration of Mel Brooks' 100th birthday. The Frida is a small art house theater, just down the street from the 4th Street Food Hall, a collection of local eateries offering eclectic dining from around the world.

Being a sleepy Monday evening, only three food stalls in the Food Hall were open... burgers, Thai and something I really couldn't identify. That was a bummer. Walking-in price for a small burger with no sides was twelve bucks. We walked a block over and got Subway.

Strolled over to the Frida, and found a small line building. We were fourth or fifth, and thought that was fortuitous as we'd be able to grab some great seats. 30 minutes later, a young guy started walking the crowd outside, pumping us up for this Mel Brooks classic. We were excited. At the time they were opening the doors, he said "Have the QR code for your tickets out and ready so we can scan you in!" Wait, we were going to just buy tickets. We asked the guy if the movie was sold out. "Oh yeah, it sold out a week ago."

Huh. Went back to my friend's place, he dug through his DVD collection, swearing he had Young Frankenstein. He didn't. But, he had recently transferred a bunch of old tapes from our younger days (early 90s) to digital, and we ended up watching our footage of our past road trips, camping, and just generally goofing off. Man, I had a lot of hair in 1990...

Happy 100th Mel, but we ended up having a lot more fun watching those old home movies.
 
Last Friday took off to explore some of the BDR (Backcountry Discovery Routes) in middle Washington and northern OR.  A riding buddy of mine has an aunt that lives near Cle Elum, WA. He was on his KTM exc500 and I was riding my KLX300.

4 days of riding about 70-100 miles each day, between 3 and 5 hours of riding; pavement just to make circle routes or to conneect the BDR trails/roads.  The red traces our routes and the thin blue lines are the BDR trails/roads.  The dotted red lines are the "expert" or "more difficult" sections which we did some.

Day 1
TluM7fH.jpg


My long time riding buddy Jeff.  We've ridden to MX, Central America and Alaska together on different trips.  Good riding partner, fast, aggressive riding, but he waits for me at interesections...mostly.
gbgk8ES.jpg


uVUS0Uq.jpg


Day 2
NbtvKq6.jpg


jVOeFFk.jpg


6zsbMbS.jpg


Day 3, just north of Day 2
Npo9gzJ.jpg


kttdpPY.jpg


7BtB9hw.jpg


The first 3 days were spent riding the BDR routes in Washington.  My friend wanted to ride some BDR in OR, and I found out I have more wild riding near me than I ever imagined.  Day 4: 
QDHtNJu.jpg


The 5 miles before this overlook were quite rocky, challenging but still fun
VPkjC1r.jpg


All sorts of different terrain: gravel, dirt, sandy sections, hard-packed, mud, jarring rock sections, roots, puddles large and small, steep ascents and descents, fog, rain, warm sunshine, and 100% andrenalin.  
LkWGz9K.jpg


No mechanical issues, no flats, no getting (too) lost, no get-offs.  But I was mentally wiped out after Day 4's ride...4 hours of don't lose your concentration or things that you won't like may happen.  So different that the relaxing rides on the CB1100.  Very fun!
 
Thread starter
Nice pdedse. Quite the adventure.
 
Looks like a lot of fun, pdedse.
 
[quote="pdedse" pid='274841' dateline='1782848597']
4 days of riding about 70-100 miles each day, between 3 and 5 hours of riding; pavement just to make circle routes or to conneect the BDR trails/roads.  The red traces our routes and the thin blue lines are the BDR trails/roads.  The dotted red lines are the "expert" or "more difficult" sections which we did some.
[/QUOTE]

You are a true adventure rider. Despite the popularity of adventure and enduro motorcycles, few actually see a trail. But you tend to find the time, plan well, make your own trails, and take full advantage of your motorcycles’ capabilities. That is truly impressive and even more rare. Well done! David
 
Thanks for the kind comments.  There are more photos and a bit more story if you're interested at advrider.

I've ridden the CB1100 over a good deal of OR and WA, but I have always been interested in exploring the gravel / hard packed forest service roads, most actually do-able on a street bike, although not preferred; but once you get on those you realize there are other roads and trails that simply require a better tool for the job.  My DR650 can do anything I've done on the KLX300, but the 75lb weight difference makes the KLX that much more manageable on the more challenging rocky climbs and descents.  It's really amazing just how fast one can fly over some rough terrain with decent suspension on these adv type bikes.  And I'm still a beginner.  Some of the guys I've ridden with this last year or two are really good.  Most surprising to me is how 50-70 miles on these BDR roads/trails can wear me out!  My lower back and knees are complaining today, but it's a very satisfying thing to do. 

But even though I'm enjoying the non-paved riding the last few years more than ever, I'm still very happy to have the CB1100 for everything else.
 
Oh boy... the joys of random BMW electronic glitches... Bike #5 is my "problem child". She runs fine, but has started a delightful new habit of randomly refusing to accept throttle input whenever she feels like it. Did it once, just like one of the other bikes. The Interweb Pundits, and AI all say it's the connection between the fly-by-wire throttle cable and the throttle grip assembly. Clean and tighten the connection and it solves the problem the majority of the time.

That worked on the other bike and it hasn't done it since. This one, however, will go to idle pretty much at random. She's only done it on the highway once, all other times are at low speeds, and cycling the key on and off will get it to work again. The next most common cause is a fault in the throttle grip assembly. So, we swapped her throttle with another bike that has not had the problem. We hoped that if the problem went away, we'd just need to replace the throttle.

We also agreed that since I'm the "most experienced rider on the team", that if it were to happen again, best that it happened while I was riding, not one of the other guys. So, I picked her up as my new ride after my runs, and kept my fingers crossed for the trip home. Of course she did it again... I did get home in one piece, but had a ton of work to do final editing our rider manual for some new guys coming on board.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to hold a rabbit's foot, sprinkle some chicken bones and pray to the Allmighty Gods of CAN-Bus, hook up the scanner, and hope it's something easy (and not ludicrously expensive).
 
Gone, at what point do you say to the boss that it's simply time to let a BMW shop take a look at it? Although you may like the challenge, it sounds like this type of situation isn't in the job description.

How many fleet riders are there now?
 
Gone in 60 said:
Oh boy... the joys of random BMW electronic glitches... Bike #5 is my "problem child". She runs fine, but has started a delightful new habit of randomly refusing to accept throttle input whenever she feels like it. Did it once, just like one of the other bikes. The Interweb Pundits, and AI all say it's the connection between the fly-by-wire throttle cable and the throttle grip assembly. Clean and tighten the connection and it solves the problem the majority of the time.

I do not have a diagram before me... but fly-by-wire eliminates the throttle cable IMHO.
In general: very often, if no part is defective, the cause is a poor contact/connection, or sometimes reprogramming is required.
 
pdedse said:
Gone, at what point do you say to the boss that it's simply time to let a BMW shop take a look at it? Although you may like the challenge, it sounds like this type of situation isn't in the job description. 

How many fleet riders are there now?

Oh, don't worry, we've drawn a clear line as to what I can and can't do... I have a GS911 tool that can scan the codes and perform dealer-level tasks, but I'm not doing anything that involves more than pulling the plastics, tracing what wiring I can get to, and cleaning cable contacts. 

I'm also not mounting tires... 

We've got three experienced riders - two full-timers between myself (who's become our riding trainer and fleet manager) and another guy (who's become our sales manager). We've also got a few part-time fill-in riders, and I'm training a few more.


peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
Oh boy... the joys of random BMW electronic glitches... Bike #5 is my "problem child". She runs fine, but has started a delightful new habit of randomly refusing to accept throttle input whenever she feels like it. Did it once, just like one of the other bikes. The Interweb Pundits, and AI all say it's the connection between the fly-by-wire throttle cable and the throttle grip assembly. Clean and tighten the connection and it solves the problem the majority of the time.

I do not have a diagram before me... but fly-by-wire eliminates the throttle cable IMHO.
In general: very often, if no part is defective, the cause is a poor contact/connection, or sometimes reprogramming is required.

Yup, and I've got her pulled apart to get to the most probable areas of concern - the throttle grip end and the throttle body ends. My GS911 will try to recalibrate everything. But, if the rabbits foot, chicken bones and GS911 don't do the trick, I might have to raise the white flag and take her to a dealer. I'm not fighting the Allmighty CAN-Bus Gods, just praying to them.
 
Totally jinxing myself... but I think she's fixed.

The scanner showed, among other things, "air leak/high idle" in the throttle assembly. I pulled the bodywork away from the cylinders and found a loose vacuum hose. That worked... for about 20 seconds before she went to limp-mode again, not revving above a lukewarm idle.

I yelled at it for a bit, then unplugged everything having to do with the throttle again, cleaned all of the contacts again, and reconnected everything, again.
Cleared codes, fired her up, and she's running fine with no problems.

So, somewhere in the system, was some microscopic bit of something that was causing an improper, non-German level of resistance somewhere in the system. Maybe it was the yelling, maybe it was the repeated cleaning. I don't care. She's running, and I can check that problem off the list.
 
Back
Top