What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Took another step yesterday. Not sure how much use I'll be for a while. My wife has just had a hip replacement and I have to have a growth removed from my ear in a month or so which I'm told will mean no helmet for a while.

[attachment=1501]
 

Attachments

  • 20260617-Blood_Bikes.webp
    20260617-Blood_Bikes.webp
    469.4 KB · Views: 85
Looking like a true hero who is about to save the day. Hope you and the Mrs recover soon. We are looking forward to the reports! David
 
Good luck with your wife’s hip replacement and your procedure as well. The vest looks good! Did you have to do any training for hazardous material handling or something similar to prepare for transporting blood?
 
I had to do a brief and not entirely relevant online course which resulted in my being presented with a certificate in transporting blood. I think everything is carefully packaged before people like me are allowed anywhere near it. It looks to me like the main things to be aware of are timeliness and making sure the stuff gets to the right person in the right place. But I'll know more when I've done a few induction rides. Maybe I can get moving with them next week.
 
Thread starter
Good luck to both you and your wife Cormanus. My wife has had both hips replaced. Hips are a lot easier in recovery than knees (she's also had both knees replaced..at the same time...that was ROUGH!).
 
Cormanus said:
I had to do a brief and not entirely relevant online course which resulted in my being presented with a certificate in transporting blood. I think everything is carefully packaged before people like me are allowed anywhere near it. It looks to me like the main things to be aware of are timeliness and making sure the stuff gets to the right person in the right place. But I'll know more when I've done a few induction rides. Maybe I can get moving with them next week.

Same here. I had to get multiple certifications, and timeliness and accuracy are the main elements. I’m sure you’ll do great!
 
Thanks Ferret. I had both knees replaced 3.5 years ago. So pleased I didn't do them separately.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
Thanks Ferret. I had both knees replaced 3.5 years ago. So pleased I didn't do them separately.

Dr told her if she only had one done, she'd never do the other.  :s
 
That makes sense to me.
 
Thread starter
On Angry Birds 5th Birthday, I turned over a new Mileage Milestone. It's been a really good bike

vlABpOM.jpg
 
the Ferret said:
On Angry Birds 5th Birthday, I turned over a new Mileage Milestone. It's been a really good bike

vlABpOM.jpg

Didn't we do a calculation to predict the exact day when Angry Bird would match the CB1100's mileage?  It's getting close, isn't it?
 
Thread starter
pdedse said:
the Ferret said:
On Angry Birds 5th Birthday, I turned over a new Mileage Milestone. It's been a really good bike

vlABpOM.jpg

Didn't we do a calculation to predict the exact day when Angry Bird would match the CB1100's mileage?  It's getting close, isn't it?

Lol well the CB currently has 79,000 on it, so I imagine somewhere around the first of the year. The CB will of course get rally miles. Then again I bought Blue Bird with 1290 miles on it in October and its now approaching 5,000 miles on it.


Cormanus said:
14,400 miles per annum is good going, Ferret. Your bikes can't complain about being neglected!

Lol true that  :biker:  I've ridden 144 days so far this year. Not bad for an old  geezer
 
Speaking of Birds, tonight Super Bird took me to the Petersen for a service award dinner. Several people were being honored for five, 10 or 15 years of service. I have technically been working at the museum for 10 years, although I started as a volunteer docent around 2009. I received a 10 year service award and some nice comments from my boss.

The Petersen is backlit in red at night, and is quite a striking sight. Usually, it's hard to get a good motorcycle shot from across the street, as it means pulling up on the sidewalk which is usually a bit crowded during the day. But on a week night, it was pretty clear. I took the shot in front of Johnie's, which has long closed as a restaurant, but is a historically preserved example of Googie architecture used now for filming, and most recently as a venue for an art exhibit. I used to eat there regularly when I worked down the street at Petersen Publishing in the 90s. Here's a video featuring Sam Rockwell dancing inside Johnie's: 

[attachment=1515]
[attachment=1516]


Also, I see that the recently unveiled Bullitt Mustang is now on display in the museum lobby, so if you'd like to see the coolest piece of movie car chase history in existence, get yourself to L.A. pronto.

[attachment=1517]
 

Attachments

  • PeteNC.webp
    PeteNC.webp
    54.4 KB · Views: 54
  • PeteJohnnies.webp
    PeteJohnnies.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Bullitt.webp
    Bullitt.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 54
Is it just the angle? Or does the Mustang have a slight list?
 
Got that same shot with my CB a few years ago very early on a hazy morning.

My phone sort of makes whatever is in the immediate foreground look bigger than the rest of the photo, so yeah, looks like Bullitt is a bit off-kilter. But '60s Mustangs usually photograph with a nose-high look for some reason. Especially with that boat anchor 390 under the hood, the front springs are quite robust.

Speaking of off-kilter, riding up to L.A. late yesterday afternoon for the dinner, I could see smoke rising in the distance. Whispy light grey now, and I was thinking "They finally have that warehouse fire knocked down that's been burning since Thursday!" But it seemed like it had moved 1/2 a mile East. Turns out it was a different warehouse fire, of course, but at least both of them were being extinguished, finally. The area within a few blocks of the Petersen along Museum Row on Wilshire is looking pretty spiffy these days. They just finished a new subway station right across the street to the East of the Petersen and directly across Wilshire from the newly reopened LACMA (L.A. County Museum of Art). I had derided it as a "Huge concrete and glass sandwich" during the construction, but now finished, it's quite spectacular. With the grand opening of the new art museum and the subway station, they're keeping the area pretty nice and clean. They even fixed all of the lights on the Johnie's building, which is what caught my attention last night to want to take that picture with Super Bird.

All of the construction fencing in front of the museum in the shot with the CB was from the subway construction. Glad to see that completed, and the streets newly paved.

I could now, if I wanted to, walk to my local train station and take a train and the subway all the way to the Petersen. It would take three times longer than just riding there, but I could...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5025.webp
    IMG_5025.webp
    68.2 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top