What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Last Sunday, the Z650RS passed the 10,000 km mark since last August and continues to clock up the kilometers...
To this day, I really don't know how Ferret racked up his miles... :D

inOvmOd.jpg
 
Thread starter
Congrats PB. Big wheels keep on turnin'

My secret? Dont take many days off. Missed 9 days in Jan, 10 in Feb, 9 in March. 0 in April, 1 in May, 0 in June, and 0 so far in July. As Cormanus once said, and I'm paraphrasing here, I eat up lots of miles in many small bites.
 
I was thinking the other day, Ferret, an electric bike would be ideal for your style of riding — with a CB1100 in the garage for those longer trips.

And well done peterbaron! :biker:
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
I was thinking the other day, Ferret, an electric bike would be ideal for your style of riding — with a CB1100 in the garage for those longer trips.

And well done peterbaron! :biker:

Yea, it probably would suit me just fine Cormanus, other than the initial buy in price and lack of dealerships in my area. I test rode one years ago, a Zero S, and other than rock hard suspension, and getting used to the non-tactile clues that it is "running" (ie no noise, no vibes), found the bike satisfactory to ride. The initial buy in price of $15 grand back then (over $20 grand now) puts it out of range for me. I'm really happy with the NC 750X DCTs for my daily rides and I average between 75 and 80 mpg. The difference in buy in price for an NC 750DCT ($9499) and Zero SF ($20,499) is $11,000.00 and that would at today's gas prices of $3.65/gal buy over 3,000 gals of gas which @ 75 mpg would be the equivalent of 225,000 miles on the petrol fired bike.

rzMIcQE.jpg
 
The fact that the NC750X gets such good mileage is a plus for those of us who pay... ahem... a little more than $3.65 a gallon.
 
Thread starter
Gone how much is a gal of reg now in your area?
 
Not only does Gone deliver blood and other med supplies, but he also delivers Mrs. Gone's baked goods...sorry, I already ate the evidence for this morning's breakfast.

I'm in La Jolla watching daughter's cat and getting her car fixed while she's at a conference in London, getting ready to find a bar to watch the World Cup semi final between Argentina and England.  Gone had a semi day off yesterday, one allowing him to buzz down everybody's favorite California superhiway I-5 so we could have lunch together...again, the evidence from El Charro's just a few hundred meters from the beach in La Jolla was eaten.  But El Charro is located just beyond the pier...squint and maybe you'll see it. : ) 

hYfcazt.jpg


Fascinating to listen to the details of how the company got started and how Gone became a significant part of it all.  Thanks for making the effort to ride to La Jolla, Gone.  I think this is the third time we've met up in California. Still waiting to see you up north!

But there does exist photo-evidence that he was in the neighborhood...
HyhGDS0.jpg


Idea for business expansion: Mrs. Gone prepares delicious baked goods, and you sell to the hospital staff as you drop off med supplies.  You'd have to re-decal all the bikes...maybe to "BLOOD...and Other Baked Goods".  
 
Ha! Dang, I'm bald... that's like the grainy Big Foot evidence photo.

Great to see you! Super cool that it turned out to be a day when I was slack on runs and none of the bikes were upside down or on fire. I'll be putting down long saddle days for the rest of the week. That was very nice of you to get your daughter's car fixed up while you were down here, and safe travels home.

Mrs. G loves that you liked the cookies (she says they aren't "bread thingees") And good idea about the baked goods and blood service, but she's sort of ahead of you on that one. She's noodling a next chapter called "Coffee Person" when she retires from the medical world. Not opening a coffee house, but baking and selling coffee-related cookies, cakes, etc. I know I'll get sucked into it somehow.

P.S., swung by Mom's to deliver and hang up her new bird feeder on the way home, so she's happy too. Public service reminder... when you buy something for Mom on Amazon, make sure to double-check that you selected her address for shipping...
 
Pdedse, that picture from the cliff showing the pier - is that a stock image or did you take that? That has to be taken near the glider port, yes?

Kinda pretty, isn’t it? To give some perspective, might be college housing, but Pdedse’s daughter happens to live in one of the most idyllic spots along the Southern California coast. La Jolla is just a few miles north of San Diego. The city itself is like the French Riviera and hosts a concourse-level car show second only to Pebble Beach.

My ultimate “chill out place” is in walking distance from the college, the Glider Port. This is a designated area along a cliff above the ocean where paragliders launch and sail around the sky. Each time I go just to take in the view, I start thinking that it would be pretty cool to try paragliding. That’s all I need… another expense hobby.

So glad we got together when we did instead of last night as originally planned. Yesterday I was in the saddle delivering in the Riverside area for most of the day. Temps were between 101 and 105, and by the time I got home and cleaned up, I didn’t last long before crashing. And Mrs. said I was a tad crabby…


And back to what I did on my other bike… I had some lengthy wait time yesterday in Riverside. When that happens, I occasionally wander down the street to Malcolm Smith Motorsports. Smith opened a motorcycle dealership years ago, and it’s a pretty cool place. 

I snagged this t-shirt off the clearance rack yesterday. Can’t wait to catch the knowing nods of approval when I wear it to the next local motorcycle show…
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7862.webp
    IMG_7862.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 61
Gone in 60 said:
Pdedse, that picture from the cliff showing the pier - is that a stock image or did you take that? That has to be taken near the glider port, yes?

Kinda pretty, isn’t it? To give some perspective, might be college housing, but Pdedse’s daughter happens to live in one of the most idyllic spots along the Southern California coast. La Jolla is just a few miles north of San Diego. The city itself is like the French Riviera and hosts a concourse-level car show second only to Pebble Beach.

My ultimate “chill out place” is in walking distance from the college, the Glider Port. This is a designated area along a cliff above the ocean where paragliders launch and sail around the sky. Each time I go just to take in the view, I start thinking that it would be pretty cool to try paragliding. That’s all I need… another expense hobby.

So glad we got together when we did instead of last night as originally planned. Yesterday I was in the saddle delivering in the Riverside area for most of the day. Temps were between 101 and 105, and by the time I got home and cleaned up, I didn’t last long before crashing. And Mrs. said I was a tad crabby…



And back to what I did on my other bike… I had some lengthy wait time yesterday in Riverside. When that happens, I occasionally wander down the street to Malcolm Smith Motorsports. Smith opened a motorcycle dealership years ago, and it’s a pretty cool place. 

I snagged this t-shirt off the clearance rack yesterday. Can’t wait to catch the knowing nods of approval when I wear it to the next local motorcycle show…



Ayyyy....300+ city miles in above 100 degrees?  You should have eaten several of Mrs. Gone's cookies...they are anti-crabby therapy.

I did take the photo from the pier / La Jolla beach.  It's all of a 5 minute walk from her apartment, just south of Glider Port you mention.  When I rode the INT650 down here 3 (or was it 4?) summers ago, I rode the INT to the area to watch the gliders.  Photos from that trip:

Looking the same direction towards the pier, but from Glider Port
Hy9EZZo.jpg


Looking north
JmEdANm.jpg


I've been here for 10 days and every day I walk from her apartment down to the pier and then along the beach to the Mexican restaurant we ate at.  Good exercise.  Takes just under 2 hours.  Ready to head home so I can rest!

Do we look younger from when we met for the first time?
YR7abP7.jpg


IP8Si8H.jpg


I sold the INT shortly after returning home; it went to a nice young guy from Eugene, OR who was looking for some cheap transportation.  A very good bike.  How is yours holding up?
 
Dang, pdedse, you always take awesome pictures. I've stood in that same place and must have taken dozens of photos of paragliders sailing around, and the pier (that's the UCSD Oceanography Institute pier, you can't just go walk on it). I've never gotten pitures that nice. You must be using something nicer than an iPhone.

Aww, you pulled up the pics of our Enfields - that's the first time we met. You had ridden down on yours and stopped at my office in Santa Ana. I jumped on mine and if I recall, I threw you headlong into the art of lane splitting so we could find a good burrito before riding down the coast a bit?

How's my Enfield holding up? Well, since March, the only thing she's held up is a cover. She's the unfortunate victim of my hubris to start a new job that brought a motorcycle into my garage. The little orange beast was evicted, and has been napping in my nearby friend's garage. He's English, and he and his brother once bought Enfields from the factory in India and rode them home over the course of several months. Having mine in his garage brings up some fond memories, I think. He won't take money for storage. It was just supposed to be until our delivery company got underway and I was able to secure shop space here in Orange County. Hasn't happened yet, but we'll see. I think if I asked "Hey, can I swap bikes in your garage with my Triumph or my CB1100" he'd say yes without hesitation, but I don't want to wear out my welcome. But, I do love and miss the Enfield. I had modified it a bit for the 65 mile, high-speed commute to my last job, upping the front sprocket, adding a cushy touring seat, and de-smogging it. Seeing the tariffs on the horizon, I snagged a really nice pair of slip-on pipes from India that took a ton of weight off of it and gave it a hearty growl (the cats are located in the stock mufflers).

Hope you got home safe, and that your daughter had a great trip and returned home safe too! You saw Super Bird in her full touring trim, as I was carrying Mom's bird feeder and mounting pole in the side cases, and when I do find time to make the trip to Oregon, that's how I'll do it.


Mom Nature did me a solid yesterday and dropped the temps for another long day in my proudly self-upholstered seat on Blood Bike #4. It still hit 107 in the Rubidoux area of Riverside, but for most of the day it was in the upper 90s to 101. I had another new trainee, so we're expanding. Total miles for the day was 333. I'd say about 2/3 of that was at upper freeway speeds, the other 1/3 carefully threading tight traffic. 

The bike consumed about seven gallons of mid-grade fuel, I consumed 80 ounces of electrolyte drinks, half a bag of Trader Joe's corn nuts, and a homemade ham sandwich (consumed, not shown).

I was noticeably more jovial after a few less digits on the thermometer and a few more hours of sleep. But, Mrs. definitely reminded me of the previous night's crabbiness. All cookies had been consumed prior to last night, at our friend's recent karaoke party, and care packages to Pdedse and Mom.
 

Attachments

  • ccf00226-cb2d-4881-a059-387081acf9de.webp
    ccf00226-cb2d-4881-a059-387081acf9de.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 95
  • aa90682e-4e99-4ffb-8a86-d6edd4dfae51.webp
    aa90682e-4e99-4ffb-8a86-d6edd4dfae51.webp
    68.5 KB · Views: 95
on a sunday ?....well a SUNDAYloop....of cours..... :D


 [attachment=1618]

[attachment=1619]

[attachment=1620]



[attachment=1621]

[attachment=1624]

[attachment=1625]

[attachment=1626]
 

Attachments

  • gb11.webp
    gb11.webp
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 96
  • gb10.webp
    gb10.webp
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • gb9.webp
    gb9.webp
    947.5 KB · Views: 86
  • gb8.webp
    gb8.webp
    853.8 KB · Views: 86
  • gb3.webp
    gb3.webp
    853 KB · Views: 96
  • gb2.webp
    gb2.webp
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • gb1.webp
    gb1.webp
    994.8 KB · Views: 96
  • gb.webp
    gb.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • gb12.webp
    gb12.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
Back
Top