What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

I definitely won't get great fuel economy, cruising at 70-75, but if I manage 50mpg or so, I'll be happy.
I'm going to reposition bikes in the garage. Right now, the CB1100 is behind my car, and needs to roll behind Mrs. G's car to back my car out. I'll put the NC in that position, as it is easier to wheel back and forth.
 
pdedse said:
Sounds like you're playing the bike-garage dance!

Yes I am. Parking three bikes and two cars in our (thankfully generously sized) two-car garage is a challenge, but it's working OK. Still need to move the Enfield to Mom's eventually too.
 
I traded my R1250GS for an R1300 GSA. I have a relatively short leg at 29" (even though I am 6ft) so it was the GSA Adaptive Ride Height (ARH) option for me which lowers the bike 30mm when coming to a stop. The low seat also reduces that by a further 20mm and the "comfort" version of the ARH (there are two versions) lowers the suspension permanently by a further 20mm. 

The upshot is I lose the compromised short suspension of the 1250 and regain decent suspension travel PLUS a low seat height at the lights. Very happy with it.

[attachment=939]
 

Attachments

  • 1300.webp
    1300.webp
    167.2 KB · Views: 43
Tev62 said:
I traded my R1250GS for an R1300 GSA. I have a relatively short leg at 29" (even though I am 6ft) so it was the GSA Adaptive Ride Height (ARH) option for me which lowers the bike 30mm when coming to a stop. The low seat also reduces that by a further 20mm and the "comfort" version of the ARH (there are two versions) lowers the suspension permanently by a further 20mm. 

The upshot is I lose the compromised short suspension of the 1250 and regain decent suspension travel PLUS a low seat height at the lights. Very happy with it.
It looks great parked in front of your front yard. :D
 
pekingduck said:
Tev62 said:
I traded my R1250GS for an R1300 GSA. I have a relatively short leg at 29" (even though I am 6ft) so it was the GSA Adaptive Ride Height (ARH) option for me which lowers the bike 30mm when coming to a stop. The low seat also reduces that by a further 20mm and the "comfort" version of the ARH (there are two versions) lowers the suspension permanently by a further 20mm. 

The upshot is I lose the compromised short suspension of the 1250 and regain decent suspension travel PLUS a low seat height at the lights. Very happy with it.
It looks great parked in front of your front yard. :D

But too bad Tev62's house lacks windows, walls and a roof!

Tev, awesome looking machine and ready to ride the world...congrats!
 
Wow, congrats, Tev! That bike does look "Industrial", that's a good term for the style. Sorta blocky and purposeful. Checked them out in the showroom, and didn't know they can lower at a stop. Wow, that is cool!

I imagine one of those costs a bit more than a slightly used 2018 NC...
 
pdedse said:
pekingduck said:
Tev62 said:
I traded my R1250GS for an R1300 GSA.
It looks great parked in front of your front yard. :D

But too bad Tev62's house lacks windows, walls and a roof!

I think that's the original main gate to the estate, pdedse. The house is up a long drive somewhere.
 
If that is the gate, the house must be awesome!
 
Yeah ... a bit like yours milord. :P
 
Milord is, after all, a lord. And lords have castles. Don't they?
 
Mrs. G has been studying furiously for a medical board exam that was to take place first thing this morning at home. This is a critical exam for her and she's been very nervous about how well she'd do. As the test was to take place at home on her laptop, test rules stipulated that nobody else was allowed to be in the house, and pets had to be removed as well. We locked the cats in a back room, but I had to be out of the house for the four hour duration of the exam. A test proctor had her use her webcam and walk around the house to confirm that nobody else was there. 

So, I was out the door around 7:00 am. I have the NC750X largely sorted, and I wanted to simulate the speed and distance that I'd be riding the bike to work to see just how it would do and how comfortable I'd be. Not wanting to actually go to work on a Sunday, I determined that an equivalent distance was Santa Monica. More specifically, Primo Paso Coffee on Montana Ave, purveyors of her favorite cookies. 

Usually, we get to Primo Paso in the late afternoon after I'm done at the museum, and by that time, their best cookies are gone for the day. So, I figured if I went early, I'd get the pick of their best, and see how comfortable I am on the NC for a long ride, and how she does at high freeway speeds. 

I headed out, and on the way, realized that it had been a while since I had stopped to check out the progress on two new museums in Exposition Park in Downtown L.A., so I made a quick stop to check them out. The Colosseum was looking nice. First stop in the park was the new addition to the California Science Center, which has housed the Space Shuttle Endeavor horizontally in a large temporary building for years. For over a year now, a new building has been under construction to house and display the shuttle in vertical launch position, complete with external fuel tank and booster rockets.

[attachment=940]

To get to the back access road to get a good picture of the new building, I had to go past a Douglas DC8 airliner, on display for years. I remember seeing it on school field trips as a child. in the 70s, the United Airlines livery was painted in their period orange and blue colors. Today, it looks like an even older livery than that.
[attachment=941]
[attachment=942]

Also took a good look at the continuing construction of George Lucas' new Interpretive Arts Center, which looks a lot like a Star Wars Mon Calamari Cruiser landed in L.A.
[attachment=943]

Then, on to Primo Paso, where two of their best cookies were procured, a small cup of their very nice coffee was consumed, and cookies were secured in the NC's frunk. A reward for Mrs.' hard work!

Something caught my eye as I was waking out of Primo Paso, in the form of a dark blue '67 Rolls Silver Shadow two door parked at the curb. If you know your movie cars, I started looking around for Steve McQueen in a three-piece suit, as this is a good match for the car he drove in Thomas Crown Affair.
[attachment=945]
[attachment=944]


I still needed to kill some time, so I routed myself through Downtown to the Bike Shed, where I chatted with a few fellow riders. I also checked for messages on my FB Marketplace items for sale, and noticed a new listing that was very timely.
[attachment=946]
[attachment=948]

My NC came with aftermarket clutch and front brake levers that work fine, but that I'm not particularly fond of. Looking at OEM replacements, the clutch lever is currently on a lengthy backorder. I had figured on checking in on it periodically. However, someone nearby had just listed a pair of OEM levers he'd just removed from a brand new CB650R. I jumped on Partzilla to confirm that both bikes use the same levers, contacted the owner of the parts, and 30 minutes and $20 later, I had my new levers! Still wondering how I got so lucky. 
[attachment=947]

Headed home, completing about 120 miles on the NC, and have to say that it's comfortable, cruises effortlessly at 70-80 mph, and the Average MPG reading was showing 60.5, not too bad overall. 

Ferret, I get how you can put endless miles on this bike. It is comfortable and smooth. Best of all, when I got home, Mrs. told me in a very relieved yet exhausted voice that she had passed her exam. I congratulated her, presented her with fresh cookies from Primo Paso, and she gets to sew two more letters at the end of the lengthy alphabet soup on her lab coat.
 

Attachments

  • Colloseum.webp
    Colloseum.webp
    97.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DC8.webp
    DC8.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Shuttle.webp
    Shuttle.webp
    35 KB · Views: 27
  • Lucas.webp
    Lucas.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Rolls.webp
    Rolls.webp
    80.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Cookies.webp
    Cookies.webp
    58.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DTLA (1).webp
    DTLA (1).webp
    66.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DTLA (2).webp
    DTLA (2).webp
    80.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Bike Shed.webp
    Bike Shed.webp
    56.1 KB · Views: 27
Congrats to Mrs. Gone! That's got to fee great to pass the exam and then immediately be presented with cookies. Glad to hear the NC is working out for you so far.
 
Congratulations to Mrs G. Good work.

That's a nifty insert in the frunk.
 
Thread starter
Congrats to Mrs Gone

That IS a nifty frunk liner. The bike looks good and should serve you well. The 70-80 mph lowers the gas mileage substantially, but still 60 mpg is good. 3.7 gals @ 60 mpg is 222 miles for the tank (full to empty). Should go 180 miles full to reserve.

I'm always amazed how light it feels next to my CB 1100. CB looks better though lol.
 
Thank you, gentlemen! Mrs. G was mentally exhausted when I got home, but elated that it was over. We quickly switched gears and spent the rest of the day and evening catching up on Christmas, visiting some of the places we love to look at lights, and catching the last night of the Newport Boat Parade.

The frunk liner is pretty spiffy, and has a little pouch to slide the registration and insurance paperwork. The owner gave it to me and said that he hadn't used it, as the liner makes it just too tight to fit a helmet.

Ferret, thanks for the calculation on fuel range. I really don't have an idea yet with this bike, as I haven't used it consistently yet to get a gauge on the range. It's rained or threatened rain on my office days since I bought it, and I've been out of town. I'll keep that in mind.
 
Back
Top