What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Gone, thank goodness that garage spring or bracket didn't hit you! And good fortune that the upholsterer had a matching vinyl.


This is the time of the year when I perform most of the motorcycle maintenance. Yesterday I changed engine and final drive oils on the V100 Stelvio. Engine required 5 quarts of fairly expensive 10W-50 synthetic oil along with a (over priced) $24 Guzzi filter, O-ring- and gasket set. The final drive just needed 225ml of 75W-140 which I had but accessing the fill plug requires removing the wheel off the single sided swing arm which requires a 65mm 12 point socket which I carry in the tool kit. Also the caliper, and muffler need to come off. Why in the world couldn't they have put the fill port on the back of the FD instead of inside toward the wheel and brake disc?

Anyway got it changed and looking up the torque spec for the wheel nut found it is 191 ft lbs! My 1/2" drive torque wrench only goes to 150 ft lbs so tightened it to 150. Switching to a longer handle 3/4" drive breaker bar I wasn't able to tighten it any more so I called that tight enough.

Anyway the Stelvio is ready for Spring, next up is the V85TT which needs 3 different oils, air filter, spark plugs, and the brake fluid changed. I'm not complaining as it gives me something to do beside sitting in the house tossing wood in the stove.

Anyway Happy New Year everyone!
 
Thread starter
191 lbs of torque on a wheel nut? That's insane
 
Yeah… 191 foot pounds? Not 191 metrics? Dang!

Hey, reminds me… found a 1/4” DeWalt ratchet with an 8mm socket on the sidewalk today. Free tools!

Happy New Year Everyone!
 
the Ferret said:
191 lbs of torque on a wheel nut? That's insane

I know. Probably because there's only the one large nut clamping the wheel to the drive. I'd prefer 4 lug nuts or bolts at 60 ft lbs. The V85 utilizes a traditional double sided swing arm like most bikes.
 
How many New Year's Day rides have you missed, Ferret?
 
Thread starter
Dont know exactly Cormanus, but certainly not very many over the years. I've always felt a New Years day ride is a good omen for the year to come. I've been fortunate to have a lot of NYD rides and good years.
 
Thread starter
Day 2 ...Beautiful winter day, sun shining, blue sky, white clouds and 37 degrees for today's 50-mile ride

also turned over another mileage milestone on Angry Bird on today's ride

Ro5Tm0P.jpg
 
You think our bikes know what’s going on? I do, and today proved it.

Today the weather was predicted to be clear in our area. The only rain-free day for the foreseeable forecast. It stopped raining around noon yesterday and the roads were dry.

I had some errands to run, so I loaded the box on the CB1100 and planned to head out, do my chores, and try to find a “26” along the way to grab a few pictures with.

She’s been on a battery tender for the past few weeks, albeit my least fancy and smallest tender. I unhooked the lead and tucked it away, thumbed the starter, and got click-click-click.

Hmm, perhaps my Amazon-grade battery was giving up the ghost after three years. For $40, not bad. I pulled out my charger, hooked it to the CB, then transferred the top box full of my day’s errands over to Super Bird (my NC), and headed off.

About 25 minutes and one chore later, some mist hit my windscreen. Meh, a little drizzle for a few minutes wasn’t going to be a problem. But two minutes later, I was in a downpour and turning around for home.

Hung up my soaking gear in the garage and figured well, I was going to clean and detail the NC soon anyway. Washed and detailed the bike, and then checked the charge on the CB. She’s holding a charge for now.

I’m convinced she didn’t want to be the one caught in the rain.
 
Gone in 60 said:
muscling the return spring into position on the new center stand, I heard a huge BANG! 

The fact that the garage door spring waited for the moment you were muscling the center stand spring into place to explode itself makes the whole thing even more uncanny.  So glad you were unhurt, and the vehicles also.
 
Good pick, Lunchbag.
 
Lunchbag said:
Gone in 60 said:
muscling the return spring into position on the new center stand, I heard a huge BANG! 

The fact that the garage door spring waited for the moment you were muscling the center stand spring into place to explode itself makes the whole thing even more uncanny.  So glad you were unhurt, and the vehicles also.

You know, I was just thinking of how ironic that is...


Cormanus said:
Clear evidence of motorcycle sentience, Gone.

Irrefutable evidence, certainly.
 
Thread starter
Beautiful winter day 62 degrees and sunny but a bit windy ahead of a cold front coming in tonight I guess. Anyhow took Blue Bird out for 41 miles. Hadn't been out since Nov 22nd I think. The amazing part was this cloud formation, a shelf of clouds that looked like mountains as far as the eye could see in both directions. Very cool! pic doesn't do it justice

i7hi4Uk.jpg
 
Back
Top