What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Nice and quality work is always appreciated....is THIS original mileage???

…. wait, but who is in charge of your shop, Simon or you..?? :P :D
 
That's a bright new neutral light! Gotta feel good to get that together. Looks like an inviting bike to ride.
 
Had to run a work errand a bit south, so I jumped on the Enfield. Hadn’t ridden her since I adjusted the valves. I reused the valve cover gasket, and had pulled the charcoal canister and related jazz while I had the tank off, so I wanted to make sure she was running well with no leaks.

All good with the bike and she’s running fine. Decided to swing past my old office and see if there was any activity. I had seen the place in the evening, and noted that all exterior signage had been removed and the windows were blacked out from the inside.

Based on what they’re apparently storing in there, I can see why they’re keeping a very low profile.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6388.webp
    IMG_6388.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 62
Pretty sure I can't afford the taxes and insurance on those even if someone give me one free. :(
 
Lord Popgun said:
Pretty sure I can't afford the taxes and insurance on those even if someone give me one free. :(

The absolutely ironic thing is that I was just planning to store one car in there... a friend is selling off a collection of eclectic cars, and when he was planning the sale, he and I spoke about a '65 Dodge convertible that I was particularly interested in. The plan was to keep it in the shop at work. Now that I've been kicked out of the building, he's come back to try to sell me the car, and I'm needing to decline, as I have no place to park it.
 
Felt like a riding day...

Went south of Gresham, passing through the towns of Molalla, Silverton and Sublimity with the main goal of taking in the agriculture and avoiding horrendous I-5.

I8U7abg.jpg


Hazelnuts...groves and groves... ... ... and groves of Hazelnut trees, and the nuts are getting near time
d2qVyGY.jpg


Also fields of corn, wheat, dill, blueberry, alfalfa, grass seed, hay, hops and Christmas trees.  And lots of grapes...
G8bJS1d.jpg


More small towns: Scio, Sweet Home and Marcola
Fg0fIZB.jpg


Besides horseys, cattle too.  And can't forget the logging...
2PdKJOv.jpg


3eacauu.jpg


After lunch, headed east on hiway 126 towards Santiam Junction.  Lots of forest...and sadly, lots of charred forest from fires.
uD0LlDu.jpg


Hiway 126 hugs the McKenzie River for miles
JeJmNkR.jpg


M5FtZS5.jpg


Clear Lake
bq0RvD3.jpg


At the Santiam Junction, took hiway 22 towards Detroit Lake, then forest service road 46 (paved) north towards home in Gresham.  I probably road 200 miles through forest today.  I'd say 80-90 miles were through forests that have been torched in recent years.  
PtAmxUa.jpg


It's one thing to read on-line that another forest fire has claimed X number of acres...it's another thing to ride through these areas, miles and miles of blackened trunks.  But you can see new growth in the hills.  

You leave a burnt area, and suddenly back to this...
IhDy2Q3.jpg

30 miles of tree tunnels...so little traffic, so much fun!

One of these fires produced a stage 2 alert ("get ready to evacuate") for us 5 years ago, but I think the closest the fires got was about 15 miles away.  But terrible smoke in our neighborhood for a good 4-5 days.  Bleh!

Started at 9am, home by 6:30pm, 350 miles.

I absolutely love motorcycle riding, whether it be the Kawasaki W800, the Suzuki DR650 or the CB1100.  Grateful for these days.
 
Gone in 60 said:
Had to run a work errand a bit south, so I jumped on the Enfield. Hadn’t ridden her since I adjusted the valves. I reused the valve cover gasket, and had pulled the charcoal canister and related jazz while I had the tank off, so I wanted to make sure she was running well with no leaks.

All good with the bike and she’s running fine. Decided to swing past my old office and see if there was any activity. I had seen the place in the evening, and noted that all exterior signage had been removed and the windows were blacked out from the inside.

Based on what they’re apparently storing in there, I can see why they’re keeping a very low profile.


Holy cow that's a lot of money in one picture.
 
pdedse said:
Felt like a riding day...

Went south of Gresham, passing through the towns of Molalla, Silverton and Sublimity with the main goal of taking in the agriculture and avoiding horrendous I-5.

I8U7abg.jpg


Hazelnuts...groves and groves... ... ... and groves of Hazelnut trees, and the nuts are getting near time
d2qVyGY.jpg


Also fields of corn, wheat, dill, blueberry, alfalfa, grass seed, hay, hops and Christmas trees.  And lots of grapes...
G8bJS1d.jpg


More small towns: Scio, Sweet Home and Marcola
Fg0fIZB.jpg


Besides horseys, cattle too.  And can't forget the logging...
2PdKJOv.jpg


3eacauu.jpg


After lunch, headed east on hiway 126 towards Santiam Junction.  Lots of forest...and sadly, lots of charred forest from fires.
uD0LlDu.jpg


Hiway 126 hugs the McKenzie River for miles
JeJmNkR.jpg


M5FtZS5.jpg


Clear Lake
bq0RvD3.jpg


At the Santiam Junction, took hiway 22 towards Detroit Lake, then forest service road 46 (paved) north towards home in Gresham.  I probably road 200 miles through forest today.  I'd say 80-90 miles were through forests that have been torched in recent years.  
PtAmxUa.jpg


It's one thing to read on-line that another forest fire has claimed X number of acres...it's another thing to ride through these areas, miles and miles of blackened trunks.  But you can see new growth in the hills.  

You leave a burnt area, and suddenly back to this...
IhDy2Q3.jpg

30 miles of tree tunnels...so little traffic, so much fun!

One of these fires produced a stage 2 alert ("get ready to evacuate") for us 5 years ago, but I think the closest the fires got was about 15 miles away.  But terrible smoke in our neighborhood for a good 4-5 days.  Bleh!

Started at 9am, home by 6:30pm, 350 miles.

I absolutely love motorcycle riding, whether it be the Kawasaki W800, the Suzuki DR650 or the CB1100.  Grateful for these days.

Great ride. Thanks for letting us tag along. David :)
 
Looks like a lovely ride, pdedse. When you say 'torched' about the burnt forest, do you mean it was deliberately lit? And ... did your back hold up ok?
 
Cormanus said:
Looks like a lovely ride, pdedse. When you say 'torched' about the burnt forest, do you mean it was deliberately lit? And ... did your back hold up ok?

I guess "torched" does imply on purpose, but I think most of the fires are caused by lightning, sometimes carelessness.  There was a fire in 2017 in the Columia River Gorge area called the Eagle Creek fire.  That was caused by a 15 year old setting off fireworks in the forest and burned 48,000 acres, closing miles of beautiful hiking trails for over 5 years.  He was fined 36 million dollars and required to do over 1900 hours of community service.  Apparently, the now young man has been making regular payments.  And if he does all the things he is supposed to do for 10 years, then the fines are reduced or go away.  

I'm told stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) doesn't go away by itself; rather, it worsens over time.  Makes me feel like I'm 100 when I get out of bed in the morning and I've become very conscious of avoiding certain movements.  Been doing 1.5 hours of physical therapy, stretching, other exercise 5x per week for about a month.  I think it helps some.  The steroid injection helped a lot, but after a month the effect started wearing off.  While I ride, I'm generally fine--except that 2nd day trying to ride "back east" in June.  I'm sure we all have our health issues.  

I'm going to try a slow paced, multi-day trip next week, 3-4 days...maybe!  With lots of breaks and down time.  Wife and I may be in the northwest less than 2 more years and I want to explore as much as I can meanwhile.
 
just around 4 corners.. :cool: ...   .and my little  one is now read for the big trip.... :D  

[attachment=508][attachment=509][attachment=510]



.[attachment=505][attachment=506][attachment=507].
 

Attachments

  • usa.webp
    usa.webp
    211.6 KB · Views: 21
  • usaa.webp
    usaa.webp
    272.6 KB · Views: 21
  • usaaa.webp
    usaaa.webp
    186.5 KB · Views: 21
  • usaaaq.webp
    usaaaq.webp
    303.3 KB · Views: 21
  • usaaaqq.webp
    usaaaqq.webp
    212.6 KB · Views: 21
  • usaaaqqq.webp
    usaaaqqq.webp
    152.6 KB · Views: 21
It's fun to see the wheat fields ready for harvest; that's just the way they look around my area on the other side of the world.
 
I rode to work.
Nice to be in crosswinds on the highway in a new jacket that fits me. My old jackets were getting baggy and it’s amazing how much that affects you being pushed around in the wind.
 
Interesting riding route or lots of freeway and traffic?
 
Ferret  >> :clap:

It looks like Angry Bird has a reason to be angry... when it sees Django's mileage of 10,802  :P :)
His R18 never stops lately  :D
 
Thread starter
peterbaron said:
Ferret  >> :clap:

It looks like Angry Bird has a reason to be angry... when it sees Django's mileage of 10,802  :P :)
His R18 never stops lately  :D

I know, right?
 
Just returned from a 3 day / 2 night visit to Diamond Lake area, about 20 miles north of Crater Lake, Thielsen campground (blue X).
EK1DO6q.jpg


A long-time friend / riding buddy spends summers in Eureka, CA and we've been trying to get together for a ride so that he could show me his new '24 DR-Z400.  He asked me to put together a ride somewhere in the middle for both of us, and I chose Diamond Lake kinda blindly.  Arrived Wednesday afternoon and thankfully there were still a few sites available for 2 nights.  Since my friend wasn't going to arrive till nearly dark, I had the chance to scope things out a bit beforehand. 

Mt. Thielsen from the campground
g4QH5Ja.jpg


Diamond Lake Resort / general store area; our campground on the opposite shoreline
0ra7mRB.jpg


North of the lake off hiway 138, forest service road "Cinnamon Butte Lookout" sounded promising
sfWN9g4.jpg


The burned areas...
tbDyIea.jpg


...reminded me vaguely of a forest fire in this area, and sure enough, just over a year ago: 

I tested just a few miles of OHV trails.  Is there a name for the 2-3" powdery, thick dust that dominates these trails?  It was "interesting" on my still stock tires.

GFf58h0.jpg


After breakfast yesterday, we set out for forest service roads that link Toketee and Lemolo lakes.  After 15 some files of riding together, we decided to split up and test out different routes and then meet up at Lemolo.  I tried a couple of promising side roads...
JkADVcc.jpg


...but they devolved into lifting tree branches and riding under...a few times ok, but it soon became pointless.
FjGMcL4.jpg


No matter, it was fun to explore new-to-me areas.  Lemolo Lake dam area...
lxJbMth.jpg


lPY8o7i.jpg


When we met up again, my friend Jeff told me that there was an interesting trail that he found and asked if I didn't want to try it out...
N8sFb4h.png


How can one say no to that?  After climbing Dread and Terror, we wanted to see what else might be in store for us.  We navigated a 12" downed tree trunk and the trail was quickly becoming overgrown, but still passable.
nVmRXxz.jpg
  
"Action" video of Jeff: 

Me, trying to keep up: 

He said he saw me filming, and tried half-heartedly to do a quick wheelie...nope!

Such a fun area
JclVVpJ.png


Spent the afternoon in a local pizza shop while a storm blew through, and then went searching for the Umpqua hot springs to soak awhile.  A dip in the cold and fast moving waters of the North Umpqua River quickly revived me.  
qSCi6rG.jpg


Fading light, a good riding day
FZxoZp1.jpg


Jeff had never been to Crater Lake, so that was on the early morning menu.  His first view...
sbb15Io.jpg


We passed through the entry but nobody was working there yet, so we didn't even have to pay the $25 fee for the views.
mzIXrYW.jpg


pyJM69L.jpg


Jeff and I had our helmets on and ear protectors in as we were talking.  Some sweet ol' lady told Jeff to use his "indoor voice" as we were apparently being too loud so we could hear each other.  
ojAOYfe.jpg


XY0Id5J.jpg


Made it back to the Diamond Lake area and finished our riding time by exploring one of the OHV lanes.  This one wasn't so powdery and provided a beautiful hour of pure joy.  
ZvZD1yL.jpg


By 11:30am he was on his way home as he had lots of work waiting for him, and I made it back to Gresham by 5pm.

At one point riding away from Crater Lake, we switched bikes for about 15 miles.  He said my DR650 felt like riding a cadillac after being on his 400.  Has the DR650 ever been compared to a caddy?
 
Back
Top