What did you do on or to your other bike part 2

Gone in 60 said:
I rotated bikes in the garage to put the CB nearest the garage door in the hope of riding today, but a storm put the kibosh on that plan.

The rotation put my Enfield closest to my work bench, so it watched me fix a power window switch. TV overhead caught this cute video on my YouTube feed.

We watched it, and my bike said “Hey, I’m in that!”

Well now I'm really sad I sold mine.  : )

Very fun video.
 
Got a new back tyre on my 2023 R1250GS. Went with the Michelin Anakee Adventure for the third time as I am getting about 8,500 miles out of a rear and 10,000 miles out of the front. The best part about these tyres is they perform well, in terms of handling, till the very end.

Good price too, they seem to have come down a little. Got my rear at a regular price of $215 US, fitted/balanced to a loose wheel for $23 US. That includes sales tax on the tyre at $40 US and service tax of $2.74. The only other extra they charge here is an environmental fee of $2.25. $240 US all in for a new rear premium tyre fitted is a win I think. It helps that they are only 30 minutes down the road.
 
I’m eying a new rear tire for the Enfield. Need to take care of that soon.
 
pdedse said:
Always feels good to have new tires on the bike.

Yes it does. Being one to save as much as possible, sometimes I put new tires off if I'm not down to the wear bars, even though replacing might be the prudent thing. 90% of my riding is in a straight line on dry pavement, so maximum traction and water shedding are not a huge concern. 

That did come back to bite Mrs. and I over the weekend, when the first storm of the season hit our area. We were on the way to the museum in the rain. I had left the CB in the garage, as Mrs. was coming with, and I don't ride in bad weather. Don't like showing up for work cold, wet and dirty. The tires on the CRV were at "maybe we can get a few more months out of 'em" depth. But, hydroplaning at anything over 50mph told a different story. 

I didn't feel like spending over $800 at Costco, and definitely didn't want to wait weeks to get an appointment. I checked Facebook Marketplace under "Llantas Usadas" for the best near-new deal I could find. Turns out it was a set of new Kumhos at an unbeatable deal, ready to go with no waiting. A quick scan of reviews of that model showed that they'd do just fine. The reply to the FB message was "we'll wait for you if you can come now!" Great, on the way.

Here's where it got fun... Google Maps took us to a residential neighborhood. Hmm... we rolled up to a paved lot with a few storage containers, a large lean-to tent, and several cars and trucks, with people milling around. Getting my bearings and asking for "Felix", I was directed toward a shack next to the lean-to, where a lady asked me to show her the Facebook message conversation to verify the model of tire and price we were discussing. Several guys were running around with tires and floor jacks, like a ramshackle pit crew. Under the lean-to tent, four cars were parked, two side-by-side, nosed up to two others, side-by side. The guys were furiously jacking up the cars, removing tires, rolling them into the shack, where two old tire changing machines and balancers were in constant use. 

The storage containers held stacks and stacks of new tires of all brands and sizes. Taking in the whole scene, I figured we didn't have much to lose. The CRV is on plain basic steel wheels, so if they got scratched or scuffed in the process, I could just touch them up with spray paint like I do whenever Mrs. bumps a curb. 

The lady at the desk took my agreed payment - cash only - and told me to wait by our car. When it was our turn, she had me pull under the tent and nose up to a truck that was in mid-change. Four floor jacks were furiously cranked to get our car in the air, two guys rammed air guns on the lug nuts, and ten minutes later we were back on the road with fresh rubber. 

Mrs. G asked me if I thought we had gotten a good deal. As soon as we got to freeway speed and were rolling smoothly, without a hint of vibration, I said that yes, considering we were probably rolling on rubber that was diverted from a legitimate tire store somewhere, we did.
 
And the rims? How'd they come through?
 
The rims came out fine as far as I can tell. They're grimy from a few days driving in a rain storm and then being handled for mounting and balancing, so any scuffs found after cleaning will be addressed with a spritz of silver spray paint. For poverty-style steel wheels, it's interesting that they used stick-on weights in the rim and not the old-school camp-on lead weights on the outer edges, but I imagine they picked the stick-on weights for everything to streamline their somewhat portable operation.
 
pdedse said:
Always feels good to have new tires on the bike.

It is. I have a service on the bike in six days, it is only half an hour away but it was -2C (28F) when I woke up this morning and I have to be there at 8.30am, didn't fancy that ride  :s. It is just a cold snap due to be back to 9C (48F) next week, that'll do.
 
Thread starter
Day 282.... we had about 1/2" of snow on the porch when I went to bed last night, but it was melted when I got up this morning. Been overcast all day but no more precip. Waited until 2 PM and took Angry Bird out for 41 miles @ 33 degrees and a bit windy. State roads were dry, but back roads were still damp in places.

This closes out November with 27 of 30 days ridden...1,157 miles on the NC and 75 miles on the CB for 1,232 miles total
For the year it's 282 out of 334 days ridden ... 12,929 miles on the NC and 2,524, miles on the CB for 15,463 miles total.

One month /31 days to go

I try and ride at least 300 days/15,000 miles a year. If I can run the table, it will make 313 days in 2025 and mileage goal has already been accomplished.

Not too shabby for a 75-year old living in the midwest eh? lol

pic from today

CDGpBSd.jpg
 
Last night I did some serious Feng Shui in the garage, trying to cram four motorcycles in with two cars and all of our stuff.
If it weren't for the stuff, I could feasibly make it happen. Realistically however, ain't gonna happen. Either Mrs. G has to get rid of her gardening stuff or I'd have to move a bike every time she needs to come or go with her car. I don't mind moving a bike for my car, but that is a non-starter with her.

My nearby friend has graciously agreed to store my Enfield in his garage while I get space cleared out in Mom's side garage, just figuring out how to move some unwanted furniture items. Might be a while, but my friend has a soft spot for Enfields. He and his brother rode a pair of them from the factory in India to their home in England in the mid-90s.

It was a pretty chilly night as I rode the short distance, and after spending some seat time on the NC750X, I had a "Huh, now I get it" moment, realizing that there's a difference riding a naked bike vs. something with some frontal mass in colder temps.
 
Gone in 60 said:
...
My nearby friend has graciously agreed to store my Enfield in his garage while I get space cleared out in Mom's side garage, ....

Heck, I would have offered you space in my garage for the INT.  I would even offered to "wheel" it over here and back.
 
the Ferret said:
Chilly riding? Colder temps? You live in coastal Cali. How cold does it get?

FUeARcm.jpg


MTl0INH.jpg


rz4rYf2.jpg


vAMYbf1.jpg

I rode to American Canyon this evening to assist with a City Counsel meeting. It was 46 degrees Fahrenheit with 11 MPH wind and moderate fog on my return home. I was thankful for the weight of the CB1100, great tires, and all the layers I piled on while I was crossing the Benicia Martinez Bridge! That is considered cold in the East Bay. David
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0769.webp
    IMG_0769.webp
    83.4 KB · Views: 32
Yeah... "chilly" for me is 40s, nothing near Ohio chilly. Picked up some hand guards off of Facebook last night. Turns out they're for an Africa Twin, but meh, they were cheap, so if they don't fit, no big loss and I'll grab ones that fit. That will keep the wind off the hands, and if I need to add warmers, I might try those cheapies that Pdedse mentioned a few days ago.
 
Gone in 60 said:
..., I might try those cheapies that Pdedse mentioned a few days ago.

I think they would produce enough heat and more for your "cold" riding.  The hottest setting of 3 temps helps at below 40 degrees, and it allows me to withstand the chilly temps longer.  But below 32 I don't ride much because the country roads are almost always wet in winter, and there's a chance of finding some ice.  After an hour or two at 35-40 degrees, my toes are what send me home.
 
Thread starter
Day 284 ... After yesterday's record snowfall (the most on that date in Cinti since 1929) I took a test ride in the car and roads were pretty good except in a couple places, so went home got dressed and got out for 34 miles @ 31 degrees with Ohio Perma-grey skies. Had heated jacket liner and heated grips set on 30% inside handlebar muffs.

They are calling for more snow tonight. Strange fall... or is it an early winter? Whatever it is, it sucks!

Anyhow in paying attention to the roads, I blew past another mileage milestone. I have pics of all previous ones from 1K to 66K right on the money (except the 4,000K one which I was on a trip on and missed). Took me a few miles today to find a safe place to pull over and get the pic

2fehHQM.jpg


0EdXdR7.jpg
 
pdedse said:
Gone in 60 said:
...
My nearby friend has graciously agreed to store my Enfield in his garage while I get space cleared out in Mom's side garage, ....

Heck, I would have offered you space in my garage for the INT.  I would even offered to "wheel" it over here and back.

Did you mention selling your W800? Sounds like you must be jonesing for another orange Interceptor.
 
Back
Top