What bike would you most like for touring?

The ferret_imp said:
lol we had 2 Majesty scooters. Fine scooters. I wouldn't consider touring on one unless I had no other option. Great for local running around though. I think the furthest I ever took one was about 250 miles round trip

dd524602e8a87e99f2742800080b08c6.jpg
Beautiful.
 
Okay, I get it ... no company has done it ... yet.
So let's do a little math. My wife has a little city car, 65 HP, 900cc, a true 4-seater with space for luggage for 2-3. No joking. Okay, meagre acceleration above 60 miles an hour. And takes almost a min to get up to 95. But she reaches the 95 mph even fully loaded.

This thang comes with airbags, ABS, four seats, and an automatic gear box, radio and all the rest. It weighs empty about 750 kg.

So we divide all numbers by 2 to see what happens. We get 32 HP out of the 450cc engine, a 2-seater, luggage for 1.5. Now we strip the extra weight of a car chassis and the automatic gear box away AND devide by 2 for 2 wheels, etc. And we end up with 700 - 40% / 2 = 210 kg. This doesn't get us phenomenal acceleration (yet), but much more of it than our car.

Since a 450cc motor can easily produce 60 HP without gaining weight ...we are back in business. The same goes for a longer frame and a better seat. Doesn't add much weight either. So there COULD be a light weight tourer ... if the customers didn't want bigger and faster, but better.

Unfortunately there is no search engine for all bikes ever built where one can filter the needed specs.

The ferret_imp said:
lol we had 2 Majesty scooters. Fine scooters. I wouldn't consider touring on one unless I had no other option. Great for local running around though. I think the furthest I ever took one was about 250 miles round trip

dd524602e8a87e99f2742800080b08c6.jpg
You are right, I wouldn't wanna be pillion on a scooter for more than 30 minutes.
 
lol I can't imagine driving a 65 hp car..... especially with 4 people in it.

Heck a Honda Civic has almost 160 hp..

A 890 KTM duke weighs 406 has 106 hp at the rear wheel... , a nice little bike but hardly a touring bike. Maybe for solo rider in Europe.

2020 KTM 890 Duke R First Ride Review
 
See, this is exactly my point when I say "we don't live the life we live, we live the life we think we live."
That fact that "we can't imagine" doing things differently is what is slowly bringing this planet on it's knees. I can assure you the car does exactly do what she was designed for, hauling (.. safely, quietly, economically)
- 2-3 people and luggage to the beach, 500 miles away
- 2+2 people into the neighboring city, 30 miles away
- return all the shopping bags you can ever imagine back home
- protect your hearing, your back (good seats), your buttocks in an accident better than any sports car or SUV (according to crash tests).

IMHO it's time to "imagine" differently.
 
I imagine doing things differently all the time. Execution is another thing.

Maybe more correctly, we have to bring up the courage to do the right things right. I believe many people are doing that, but there is so much more to do.

= = =

In regards to modern music imagination, well, that is a whole other issue.
 
Thread starter
j3gq_imp said:
Back to square one, imagine you want a real good tourer with the following specs:
- under 200 kg / 450 lbs. empty,
- gross at least 170 kg higher
- any power or torque (who cares at today's speed limits)
- overall good quality, comfort seat and position for 1, better for 2,
- and no matter how old.
What would you buy ?
Middle-weight Adventure Tourers come closest to your specs. Pillion comfort can be an issue. There are also some middle-weight Sport Tourers which come close, but they're about 50 lbs. heavier.

Honda NC750X and CTX 700
Yamaha Tenere 700 and Tracer 9
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Kawasaki Versys 650, Z900 & W800 with some touring mods
Triumph Tiger 900, Bonnevilles with some touring mods
BMW F 700
Ducati Multistrada 950 (Pillion comfort?)
Royal Enfield Himalayan

People have gone all over the world two-up on the V-Strom and the Versys. Everything is a trade-off. More touring comfort = more weight and bigger motors. Eventually, you end up back at the Goldwing or the K 1600.

The bike which comes the closest to meeting all your specs is the 2020 Suzuki Burgman 400. It even has the same motor as my beloved bomb-proof go-anywhere DR-Z. You just have to be secure enough in your masculinity to ride a scooter ;)
 
I bought a new ‘76 Honda Civic CVCC when I turned 16. MSRP was $2945. The car weighed 1600 lbs and had a 1488cc, 53 hp engine, 4 speed manual gearbox, and 12” wheels. It had seating for 4 (but only two comfortably) and could cruise 80 mph all day. Gas mileage was in the low-30’s. I owned the car for 7 years and sold it for $900 with 140,000 miles on it. I replaced the clutch and brakes (because I used it to haul my CB400F in a trailer), and that was the extent of unscheduled maintenance. Yes, it can be done!

 
Roper_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Back to square one, imagine you want a real good tourer with the following specs:
- under 200 kg / 450 lbs. empty,
- gross at least 170 kg higher
- any power or torque (who cares at today's speed limits)
- overall good quality, comfort seat and position for 1, better for 2,
- and no matter how old.
What would you buy ?
Middle-weight Adventure Tourers come closest to your specs. Pillion comfort can be an issue. There are also some middle-weight Sport Tourers which come close, but they're about 50 lbs. heavier.

Honda NC750X and CTX 700
Yamaha Tenere 700 and Tracer 9
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Kawasaki Versys 650, Z900 & W800 with some touring mods
Triumph Tiger 900, Bonnevilles with some touring mods
BMW F 700
Ducati Multistrada 950 (Pillion comfort?)
Royal Enfield Himalayan

People have gone all over the world two-up on the V-Strom and the Versys. Everything is a trade-off. More touring comfort = more weight and bigger motors. Eventually, you end up back at the Goldwing or the K 1600.

The bike which comes the closest to meeting all your specs is the 2020 Suzuki Burgman 400. It even has the same motor as my beloved bomb-proof go-anywhere DR-Z. You just have to be secure enough in your masculinity to ride a scooter ;)
Appreciate your list, as not very familiar with these bikes ... But I notice that the majority looks like "soft enduros" (or may be not so soft. In this line of cycles, the Honda CB500X (after 2019) is certainly another serious contender with amazing test reports.

PS: Have been riding a 125cc into town ever since I bought this baby new in 1993. (In a round-about way) I am more concerned about my social status when I jump on my EX ;)
 
Roper_imp said:
Here's mine. The CB1300 Super Bol D'or. I wish we could get it in the states.
I want one!!!!!!!!
Why does Honda do this to us all the time.
NO CB1100RS, now this bike. Do they just hate all Americans or something?
Do they think we all ride Harleys?
My EX is probably the last NEW Honda I will ever buy until they treat us with the same respect as they do Japanese riders. We love their bikes, is this not enough?!
 
j3gq_imp said:
Back to square one, imagine you want a real good tourer with the following specs:
- under 200 kg / 450 lbs. empty,
- gross at least 170 kg higher
- any power or torque (who cares at today's speed limits)
- overall good quality, comfort seat and position for 1, better for 2,
- and no matter how old.
What would you buy ?
Again the definition of touring can be something we could discuss, as touring around countries with long stretches of high-speed roads could be different than touring south east asia or africa.
I know I'd look for something with lower compression and bigger oil capacity, and probably, looking for a bike with the specs you mentioned, I wouldn't go touring on the highways, but rather look for a place with a lot of back roads and trails. So let's say I'll grab a Suzuki DR650 or a KLR650, and take it nice and slow

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
The ferret_imp said:
An updated Honda ST 1300 with the same features that my FJR has..ie cruise, abs, TC, heated grips. 6 speed trans

My FJR is an awesome sport tourer, but I think my ST 1300 had better wind protection and was more comfortable but lacked the updating that Yamaha did with the FJR

9e0351ba00097d2a2acd3c473ca1cd91.jpg


3ef59f2084dcbf3e40b674fa1580b71d.jpg

Hey Mickey...site looks familiar
a70e4a19a3fc357c9400b566deae91cc.png
e94ee3d184c8612b7d7cda788ebdd5d0.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
yea it does. You should get a pic with the other one in the picture with the FJR at this years Rally in Ohio. It's on RT 26 which is a must ride.
 
I've been happy with the performance of my 2018 NC 750X and have decided to do some farkles for touring. Fuel capacity is about the same as the CB1100 but the NC has been averaging 72 mpg which still allows for decent range. It needs a better wind screen, heated grips, center stand, hand guards, better tires (Michelin PR4's) and some hard bags.

The motor is very smooth at typical highway speeds and the seat is comfortable for time between fuel stops. The "frunk" is wonderful, will never need another tank bag.

Maintenance plus is screw type valve adjusters that are easily accessed.

fd368235208a62bcd839e67a183501a6.JPG
 
redbirds_imp said:
I've been happy with the performance of my 2018 NC 750X and have decided to do some farkles for touring. Fuel capacity is about the same as the CB1100 but the NC has been averaging 72 mpg which still allows for decent range. It needs a better wind screen, heated grips, center stand, hand guards, better tires (Michelin PR4's) and some hard bags.

The motor is very smooth at typical highway speeds and the seat is comfortable for time between fuel stops. The "frunk" is wonderful, will never need another tank bag.

Maintenance plus is screw type valve adjusters that are easily accessed.

fd368235208a62bcd839e67a183501a6.JPG
(+1) Red. The NC750X is a very practical and capable all-rounder Honda solution. It will go all day and take little from your stash.
 
It would be a tough call for me. The only real long-distance touring I've done is on rented R1200GS' with big square boxes on them. I snag MotoQuest's "Transport Special" deals when they are available, to move their rental bikes between locations. They are comfy, eat up miles with no issues, but having owned BMWs, I like being able to deliver the bike at its destination and walk away from it.

I'd love an FJR, but realistically, an NC700 or 750 would be ideal for me based on my limited bike storage spaces in the garage and the ease of using it on my daily commute as well. There was a very clean one near me a few months ago that had factory side and top boxes, and I was seriously considering it, but knew that it would mean selling my Bonnie or the CB, since I don't have room for a third.

However... my wife has made the point that now that she works from home, we could get away with having one car. That would make some more room in the garage!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
It would be a tough call for me. The only real long-distance touring I've done is on rented R1200GS' with big square boxes on them. I snag MotoQuest's "Transport Special" deals when they are available, to move their rental bikes between locations. They are comfy, eat up miles with no issues, but having owned BMWs, I like being able to deliver the bike at its destination and walk away from it.

I'd love an FJR, but realistically, an NC700 or 750 would be ideal for me based on my limited bike storage spaces in the garage and the ease of using it on my daily commute as well. There was a very clean one near me a few months ago that had factory side and top boxes, and I was seriously considering it, but knew that it would mean selling my Bonnie or the CB, since I don't have room for a third.

However... my wife has made the point that now that she works from home, we could get away with having one car. That would make some more room in the garage!
Another option could be to just get rid of the garage. :D
 
Yeah... I think the other five residents in my building would notice. Not to mention that my house sits on top of the garage.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Yeah... I think the other five residents in my building would notice. Not to mention that my house sits on top of the garage.
Yeah, inconvenient for sure. :-/

Ah well, it could have been an opportunity of one less thing to worry about during a quake.

" ... ma bikes! Ma bikes! Ma ... "

"Dear: Your bikes are okay."
 
If we get a quake large enough that my house collapses my garage, I think the condition of my bikes would be pushed down the priority list, to like, second or third thing I would be worried about. Who am I kidding, yeah, I'd be buried under something, screaming "Ma Bikes, Ma Bikes!"
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
If we get a quake large enough that my house collapses my garage, I think the condition of my bikes would be pushed down the priority list, to like, second or third thing I would be worried about. Who am I kidding, yeah, I'd be buried under something, screaming "Ma Bikes, Ma Bikes!"
:-/

(I'd be doing the same in some delusional way)
 
Back
Top