What bike would you most like for touring?

GoldOxide_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I've been happy with the performance of my 2018 NC 750X and have decided to do some farkles for touring. Fuel capacity is about the same as the CB1100 but the NC has been averaging 72 mpg which still allows for decent range. It needs a better wind screen, heated grips, center stand, hand guards, better tires (Michelin PR4's) and some hard bags.

The motor is very smooth at typical highway speeds and the seat is comfortable for time between fuel stops. The "frunk" is wonderful, will never need another tank bag.

Maintenance plus is screw type valve adjusters that are easily accessed.

fd368235208a62bcd839e67a183501a6.JPG
(+1) Red. The NC750X is a very practical and capable all-rounder Honda solution. It will go all day and take little from your stash.
(+1) Red. The NC750X is a very practical and capable all-rounder Honda solution. It will go all day and take little from your stash.
I plan to take a hard look at the 2021 NC750X. They lowered the bike over an inch, made it 13# lighter, and upped the horsepower a couple. I rode my son's FIL's 2019 NC750X and thought I could maybe live with it (maybe not for long trips .... although he rode his to North Carolina with us on the MFT last year). I'm actually thinking about a DCT model. Sort of a cross between a motorcycle and a scooter lol.

2021 Honda NC750X First Look
 
The ferret_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I've been happy with the performance of my 2018 NC 750X and have decided to do some farkles for touring. Fuel capacity is about the same as the CB1100 but the NC has been averaging 72 mpg which still allows for decent range. It needs a better wind screen, heated grips, center stand, hand guards, better tires (Michelin PR4's) and some hard bags.

The motor is very smooth at typical highway speeds and the seat is comfortable for time between fuel stops. The "frunk" is wonderful, will never need another tank bag.

Maintenance plus is screw type valve adjusters that are easily accessed.

fd368235208a62bcd839e67a183501a6.JPG
(+1) Red. The NC750X is a very practical and capable all-rounder Honda solution. It will go all day and take little from your stash.
(+1) Red. The NC750X is a very practical and capable all-rounder Honda solution. It will go all day and take little from your stash.
I plan to take a hard look at the 2021 NC750X. They lowered the bike over an inch, made it 13# lighter, and upped the horsepower a couple. I rode my son's FIL's 2019 NC750X and thought I could maybe live with it (maybe not for long trips .... although he rode his to North Carolina with us on the MFT last year). I'm actually thinking about a DCT model. Sort of a cross between a motorcycle and a scooter lol.

2021 Honda NC750X First Look
A Forum member once pointed me to a wonderful review and I acquired the 2018 Honda NC750XD. No regrets. Only 54 or 55 hp, but it will sustain 130 km/h all day and will peak out maybe at 170 km/h, yet have wonderful economy and low cost of ownership. Sadly, because of the NC750X, I moved to the Africa Twin.
 
Lol is 130 km/h equal to 80 mph by chance?
 
Someone told me mine would do 140 mph fully loaded, top case, side cases, bag on top of top case, 40 lb bag on pillon seat but I wouldn't know LOL.
 
It should do at least 140. I saw 155 indicated (but just once!) on my fully bagged and loaded K1200RS. Your K16 is way up on hp compared to my K12. I don’t know if my “155” was a true 155 or something less due to speedometer error.

I didn’t enjoy 155. It was actually quite terrifying. The bike was more in its element at 100-120, which I would chase on rare occasion. But those days are over.
 
155! Wow!

The power to weight ratio on your K12 is/was probably better than my K16? Mine had more, but I got there so easily and more quickly than I imagined...then I thought maybe that was enough lol

Mine wasn't really uncomfortable...windshield full up...just the numbers changed.

Not sure if was those never-ending long straight roads of the upper western states or the adrenaline of going back for my $600 Helite vest that I left along side the road (long story)..but it wasn't that bad.

Since I've lived to tell about it, it's now funny.
 
I was at a local trike shop several years ago shooting the *&$# with the salesman. He said he was an old Harley guy and couple years before our conversation he was going hel* bent for leather on some road in Nevada, his poor bike was thrashing for all it was worth, he was hanging on for dear life and just getting beat up.

A couple on a Goldwing passed him like he was standing still. All relaxed like they were watching TV on their Lazy Bones recliners - and he knew them!

Sold the Harley, he wanted more comfort. :D
 
Thread starter
I always liked the old Goldwing sales demonstration, where they take a nickel out of their pocket and stand in on it's edge on the Goldwing's cylinder housing while it's running. Then they explain why Harley guys wear a wallet chain--because the motor will vibrate their wallet right out of their pocket (some interesting subliminal messaging about losing money, there).
 
It is so easy to swing at HD. I recently recall an episode late in Season 2 of "Yellowstone", lead character by Kevin Costner where a pickup rams a line of HDs on a Montana back road. In the context of the story scene, it was predictable and a little satisfying. However, on closer inspection, the destroyed bikes appeared to Japanese cruisers (I think anyway). Nevertheless, the message was delivered to the viewer.

If we live long enough to see the death of the everyday obnoxious, rattlin' HD, we may actually miss them because for better or for worse, it is a part of our riding fabric.
 
VLJ_imp said:
I'll never miss HD. They were never part of my riding anything, other than my disdain.
(+1) Never owned one, but ridden them. They are not comfortable and not agile. Nevertheless, they are a part of the global riding fabric.
 
I do short tours on the CB1100 every summer I've had it. The biggest one was where I went to Tail of the Dragon from Hamilton, Ontario and back in 4 days. No interstates until day 4 when I just had to get home. I'll do longer tours when the kids get a bit bigger.

The bike that keeps jumping out at me is the KTM 1290 Duke GT. Digital cruise control for long stretches of highway, comfortable, heated seat/grips, amazing handling, extra large gas tank/range and power that can rival sport bikes, while not paying through the nose for insurance. I haven't ridden it, but I've ridden the 790 duke and could easily imagine the 1290. I'm not in love with the looks is the biggest drawback, but it's just so dang good I may not even care.
 
Hello and Belated Happy New Year!

Here are two of my favorite touring bikes.
2011 BMW K1600 GT
2000 BMW K1200 RS
 
VLJ_imp said:
I'll never miss HD. They were never part of my riding anything, other than my disdain.
Kind of an idiotic thing to say, never understood why someone would bash another motorcycle brand, how in the world can you have disdain for another manufacturer, yours apparently is a very uninformed comment.

Own a 2014 CB1100 and like it a lot, great little bike.

But my current touring bike is a 2020 Harley Davidson Low Rider, prior to this bike I toured on a Road King. This Low Rider on last summers trip even without a windshield was smooth as butter on the super slab, longest day was 883 miles from Grand Rapids, MI to Mitchell, SD, piece of cake.
I can pop some bags and a windshield on her if I want and she'll take me anywhere I want in comfort.

Its a great bike with plenty of power, am very happy with it.
GoldOxide_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
I'll never miss HD. They were never part of my riding anything, other than my disdain.
(+1) Never owned one, but ridden them. They are not comfortable and not agile. Nevertheless, they are a part of the global riding fabric.
(+1) Never owned one, but ridden them. They are not comfortable and not agile. Nevertheless, they are a part of the global riding fabric.
OK I have to call BS on this. Maybe some aren't as agile as others, but to lay a blanket statement out there saying they are uncomfortable is ridiculous.
I have been touring on Harleys for years with many 600 mile plus days, set the cruise, kick back and let the miles roll by.
Oh, and when was the last time you had a van full of Italian tourists pull up by you at a scenic turnout so they can take pictures of your Honda?
 
Billie_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
I'll never miss HD. They were never part of my riding anything, other than my disdain.
Kind of an idiotic thing to say, never understood why someone would bash another motorcycle brand, how in the world can you have disdain for another manufacturer, yours apparently is a very uninformed comment.

Own a 2014 CB1100 and like it a lot, great little bike.

But my current touring bike is a 2020 Harley Davidson Low Rider, prior to this bike I toured on a Road King. This Low Rider on last summers trip even without a windshield was smooth as butter on the super slab, longest day was 883 miles from Grand Rapids, MI to Mitchell, SD, piece of cake.
I can pop some bags and a windshield on her if I want and she'll take me anywhere I want in comfort.

Its a great bike with plenty of power, am very happy with it.
GoldOxide_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
I'll never miss HD. They were never part of my riding anything, other than my disdain.
(+1) Never owned one, but ridden them. They are not comfortable and not agile. Nevertheless, they are a part of the global riding fabric.
(+1) Never owned one, but ridden them. They are not comfortable and not agile. Nevertheless, they are a part of the global riding fabric.
OK I have to call BS on this. Maybe some aren't as agile as others, but to lay a blanket statement out there saying they are uncomfortable is ridiculous.
I have been touring on Harleys for years with many 600 mile plus days, set the cruise, kick back and let the miles roll by.
Oh, and when was the last time you had a van full of Italian tourists pull up by you at a scenic turnout so they can take pictures of your Honda?
I remember a time I switched bikes with a hardcore HD rider. Our bikes were essentially stock and I rode an Aprilia. I think he laughed when he mounted the Italian. Anyway, we started up on an empty rural backroad and suddenly he screamed by me on my Aprilia. Long story short, the HD almost blew up and I actually couldn't make-up ground on him. I thought I left HD metal behind, but I didn't, but it was not smooth.

In the end we got our bikes back and he remarked with lips moving, but no words coming out. I laughed so hard. He said he had no idea how fast a bike can be and so smooth. I responded, " ... my keys buddy - back, now".

Good times.
 
Back
Top