What bike would you most like for touring?

Interesting question as I’m trying to narrow down choices. My approach has been to eliminate what I don’t like and see what’s left. Want something above middleweight and below massive.
Tired of in-line four power band (sacrilegious!) would love a V4 water cooled.
Prefer shaft drive. Want to avoid the Gold Wing, just too massive for this old man to try at this point in life.
Parts readily available - well developed dealer network. That eliminates a lot of the exotics and all the Italians.
Honda has several options - brand new ST1300’s still available, the CTX1300 is a contender, VFR1200F Hondas still pop up occasionally.The proposed 2022 Honda with the AT engine could be a winner. Curious to sit on a 1200 Rebel and see how it fits.
Lots of BMW’s available with quite low miles or good prices but I’ve had several and just can’t get excited about the brand again.
Finding several CTX1300’s around semi locally with around 5,000 miles on them. Right now that’s the leading contender.
 
I bought a BMW R1100RT for touring, and picked up the CB1100 for city (suburban) duty, but touring has not happened 'cause I have to keep working to make the mortgage (long story) but now that the move to TX is looming, I decided to take only one bike to TX, for that I recently chose a 2003 Suzi V-Strom 1000 as I only want to take one bike, figuring it would do as a single all-rounder with some adventure in there somewhere.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I bought a BMW R1100RT for touring, and picked up the CB1100 for city (suburban) duty, but touring has not happened 'cause I have to keep working to make the mortgage (long story) but now that the move to TX is looming, I decided to take only one bike to TX, for that I recently chose a 2003 Suzi V-Strom 1000 as I only want to take one bike, figuring it would do as a single all-rounder with some adventure in there somewhere.
Well, if it was just the one, congratulate yourself on making the commitment. :thumbsup:

Nobody, but nobody at the Forum will judge you for not picking the CB1100.

(nobody)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I bought a BMW R1100RT for touring, and picked up the CB1100 for city (suburban) duty, but touring has not happened 'cause I have to keep working to make the mortgage (long story) but now that the move to TX is looming, I decided to take only one bike to TX, for that I recently chose a 2003 Suzi V-Strom 1000 as I only want to take one bike, figuring it would do as a single all-rounder with some adventure in there somewhere.
Well, if it was just the one, congratulate yourself on making the commitment. :thumbsup:

Nobody, but nobody at the Forum will judge you for not picking the CB1100.

(nobody)
Well, if it was just the one, congratulate yourself on making the commitment. :thumbsup:

Nobody, but nobody at the Forum will judge you for not picking the CB1100.

(nobody) Are you certain ? .......
 
You knew this was going to happen. I took the CB for little ride just to get it out of the barn, and as I'm going down PCH on a beautiful sunny day, it occurred to me, I really this bike! It does most everything so well, so of course I've changed my mind and am going to the keep the CB and the Suzi, take them both to TX and see how it goes. The BMW is for sale.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
You knew this was going to happen. I took the CB for little ride just to get it out of the barn, and as I'm going down PCH on a beautiful sunny day, it occurred to me, I really this bike! It does most everything so well, so of course I've changed my mind and am going to the keep the CB and the Suzi, take them both to TX and see how it goes. The BMW is for sale.
(+1) If the CB1100 resonates with you, definitely maintain ownership for sure. It is a solid ride.
 
its amazing, after 8 years and 65,000 miles on 2 CB 1100's, I still find it a most enjoyable motorcycle every time I ride it out of the driveway.
 
The ferret_imp said:
its amazing, after 8 years and 65,000 miles on 2 CB 1100's, I still find it a most enjoyable motorcycle every time I ride it out of the driveway.
A seasoned machine is all the more sweeter. I still fall asleep instantly with that inline-4 mill droning in ma head. :cool:
 
The ferret_imp said:
its amazing, after 8 years and 65,000 miles on 2 CB 1100's, I still find it a most enjoyable motorcycle every time I ride it out of the driveway.
What's the stroy with the first one, did you buy a '13 and then liked the DLX '14 better when it came out the following year? Or was it something else?
 
It's (or was) all about the symmetry pdedse. :)
 
pdedse_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
its amazing, after 8 years and 65,000 miles on 2 CB 1100's, I still find it a most enjoyable motorcycle every time I ride it out of the driveway.
What's the stroy with the first one, did you buy a '13 and then liked the DLX '14 better when it came out the following year? Or was it something else?
What's the story with the first one, did you buy a '13 and then liked the DLX '14 better when it came out the following year? Or was it something else?
Yes I bought the 13 actually before it was released, rode it one year, 8400 miles then when the 14 dlx came out I traded the 13 in. Loved the new features on the DLX... the chrome waterfall head pipes, the dual exhaust (like Cormanus said, the symmetry of it), the 6 speed trans, the silver motor and wheels, the larger capacity fuel tank, the digital gear indicator, the additional polished parts here and there.

I think the 13 was sportier, I think the 14 is classier. Loved my 13, love my 14 dlx more.
 
Back to square one, imagine you want a real good tourer with the following specs:
- under 200 kg / 450 lbs. empty,
- gross at least 170 kg higher
- any power or torque (who cares at today's speed limits)
- overall good quality, comfort seat and position for 1, better for 2,
- and no matter how old.
What would you buy ?
 
IMO there are very few bikes worth touring on under 450#. As matter of fact I can't think of one. Especially one capable of two up touring.

Even the 900 Tracer GT weighs 474# without side cases according to Yamaha's spec sheet

Product Lineup | Yamaha Motorsports, USA

A Tracer 700GT is rated at 432 pounds without bags and hardware, so it would be just over your lower limit of 450 pounds with bags, but personally I would not tour 2 up on a 700cc parallel twin. I might tour single up on a 700 class bike. I'm sure 2 average people plus gear and packed luggage would exceed the mfgs GVWR.

and neither of those bikes include a trunk.

not sure what gross at least 170kg higher means?
 
Well, the CB500x has a curb weight of 430 lbs (that includes all fluids and a full tank of gas) and a 4.7 US gallon tank. That gives you 20 lbs to play with for accessoriess.

I don't know what the gross weight before it is considered overloaded is. And I don't think it would work as well for 2 up.

My old (1970) BMW R75/5 with a Vetter Windjammer fairing and gas in the tank - I've no idea how much gas - weighed 498 lbs when I had it on a certified scale. I remember this because the company I worked for at the time wanted me to go on a temporary assignment to California for a year and said they would pay for moving 500 lbs of personal stuff. I asked "any personal stuff, it dosen't matter what it is?" and they said "yes, that's right" so they got to move my BMW.
 
Thread starter
j3gq_imp said:
Back to square one, imagine you want a real good tourer with the following specs:
- under 200 kg / 450 lbs. empty,
- gross at least 170 kg higher
- any power or torque (who cares at today's speed limits)
- overall good quality, comfort seat and position for 1, better for 2,
- and no matter how old.
What would you buy ?
 
The ferret_imp said:
IMO there are very few bikes worth touring on under 450#. As matter of fact I can't think of one. Especially one capable of two up touring.

Even the 900 Tracer GT weighs 474# without side cases according to Yamaha's spec sheet

Product Lineup | Yamaha Motorsports, USA

A Tracer 700GT is rated at 432 pounds without bags and hardware, so it would be just over your lower limit of 450 pounds with bags, but personally I would not tour 2 up on a 700cc parallel twin. I might tour single up on a 700 class bike. I'm sure 2 average people plus gear and packed luggage would exceed the mfgs GVWR.

and neither of those bikes include a trunk.

not sure what gross at least 170kg higher means?
Agreed with the 2-up opinion on a small-med twin.

However, I have seen 2-up (senior adults) on a Yamaha Majesty 400 with gear and bags and they did cross-Canada and into the U.S. of A. They slowed-up climbing mountain highways, but otherwise managed consistently. In its latter life I recall one cylinder consuming more oil than normal, but nothing major or "coal-rolling"-like.
 
lol we had 2 Majesty scooters. Fine scooters. I wouldn't consider touring on one unless I had no other option. Great for local running around though. I think the furthest I ever took one was about 250 miles round trip

dd524602e8a87e99f2742800080b08c6.jpg
 
Back
Top