What bike would you most like for touring?

Jeez, LongRanger, hats off to you, that is some serious daily mileage, especially without freeways and over multiple consecutive days. That is probably more than I could cope with, on any bike. What is your average MPH and length of day after taking in all your gas stops?
 
Simply the bikes I have. I can tour nicely with the CB or the W. Didn't checked out the Bullet yet, but believe I can tour with her too.

For me it's more interesting to arrange myself with the stuff I own and don't think of 'better' or different machines. They may be good for longer trips despite the fact, that I don't like the optic of straigt tourers. One exception is a classic Road King. But Harleys are not the motorbikes I want to buy or be connected with.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
BMW K1600 is what I’d like. But I’d buy the non DCT Goldwing.

Keeping my ST1300 though :)
Just about to hit 40,000 miles on my K1600GTL and it finds a way to make me love it more each time I ride it. Came to it from an ST1300 that I loved as well.
 
Tev62, I live in the western US where distances are far and traffic is light (once you leave the cities). A 500-700 mile day will take 12-16 hours if you manage your time. I’ve completed several 1000-mile days in 15-22 hours, but in these cases, the speeds were a bit elevated.

The various times I’ve ridden in Europe, I’ve found 200-250 miles to be a full day of riding.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
For “touring,” which I’d define as consecutive 500-700 mile days with or without a pillion (not on freeways or interstates), the RT is my choice:

c16dc7c399fc88b1705ce236bc735424.jpg


A Road King, Goldwing, FJR, C14, K16, etc., would do just as well and might be preferred by some. They’re all excellent bikes for this type of riding. It comes down to the features you value most.
Indeed, a worthy option.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Tev62, I live in the western US where distances are far and traffic is light (once you leave the cities). A 500-700 mile day will take 12-16 hours if you manage your time. I’ve completed several 1000-mile days in 15-22 hours, but in these cases, the speeds were a bit elevated.

The various times I’ve ridden in Europe, I’ve found 200-250 miles to be a full day of riding.
Ah yes, I should of guessed of course. On a lot of sections on the west coast of Ireland 40-60Km/hr might be considered a good average. My brother lives in California and has a BMW 1600 for those big roads.
 
a bike without a strong forward leaning posture and a comfortable knee angle and space for luggage (.for example at a goldwing is the space already included).......
our CB1100 is good for that or too the super cub....:P

more i dont need...in my little place for 300-700km dayloops- 99.9% still again at home in the evening or i don't really travel

windshield not realy bcos here its max allowed 80km/h (highways 120km/h i drive seldom or after 2-3h you are alreday on the otherside from the country LOL)......or the streets are not boring it has a lot tight curves and hills/mountains no drive hour for hour always straight ahead that i would need a shield
 
I agree that the CB1300 would be sweet, and I do wish they would import those to Europe as well. Seeing as that is not going to happen, my choice for touring (and more) would be the BMW R1250RS. This is for me the perfect touring bike as it would allow for all the gear using hard cases etc, be comfortable yet fast. Also, when I arrive at my destination, just take the bags off and it becomes an excellent sport bike.

78a462b0e6d6b4ff6a252caf09a4f820.jpg


I used to have a Ducati ST2 many years ago, and back then that was the perfect touring bike for me as it had sort of the same qualifications as does the BMW now. I loved touring on that bike, and having tested the BMW I know I would love to do it on that one now.
 
The rumored CB1100X would be my ideal touring bike if the weight can be kept below 500 lbs like the Rebel 1100. Equip with cruise control and decent locking luggage. Don't try to make it into a pseudo ADV with outrageous seat height, 30-31 inches is fine and give it a seat that doesn't need to be the first thing an owner replaces.
 
Man, that would be awesome wouldn't it birds?

The new Africa twin hits my ideal numbers of 100 hp and 70 lbs torque... betters them even, 101 hp and 77 ft lbs torque..as long as Honda doesn't nueter it. Just a little stronger than the CB 1100
 
I would humbly suggest that they could make a GL1100 with the CB1100 power plant -- Call it a CB1100T or CB1100GL maybe. Put our motor in a slightly longer frame with removable side/top cases (including a backrest for the passenger) and a retro-styled fairing. If they'd rather re-engineer an opposed 4 in the 1100-1200cc range, I'd be ok with that, too, but they have this nice, air-cooled, 4 that could easily do the job.
 
redbirds_imp said:
The rumored CB1100X would be my ideal touring bike if the weight can be kept below 500 lbs like the Rebel 1100. Equip with cruise control and decent locking luggage. Don't try to make it into a pseudo ADV with outrageous seat height, 30-31 inches is fine and give it a seat that doesn't need to be the first thing an owner replaces.
The speculation images look a lot like the VFR1200X; a bike I'm surprised didn't sell so well over here. Journalists liked that V4 engine too.
 
Thread starter
Scotty_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The rumored CB1100X would be my ideal touring bike if the weight can be kept below 500 lbs like the Rebel 1100. Equip with cruise control and decent locking luggage. Don't try to make it into a pseudo ADV with outrageous seat height, 30-31 inches is fine and give it a seat that doesn't need to be the first thing an owner replaces.
The speculation images look a lot like the VFR1200X; a bike I'm surprised didn't sell so well over here. Journalists liked that V4 engine too.
I like everything about the VFR1200X, except for that hideous front end with the pinched headlight and micro beak. Seriously, it looks like Honda took design cues from the first-generation Versys.
 
Roper_imp said:
Scotty_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The rumored CB1100X would be my ideal touring bike if the weight can be kept below 500 lbs like the Rebel 1100. Equip with cruise control and decent locking luggage. Don't try to make it into a pseudo ADV with outrageous seat height, 30-31 inches is fine and give it a seat that doesn't need to be the first thing an owner replaces.
The speculation images look a lot like the VFR1200X; a bike I'm surprised didn't sell so well over here. Journalists liked that V4 engine too.
I like everything about the VFR1200X, except for that hideous front end with the pinched headlight and micro beak. Seriously, it looks like Honda took design cues from the first-generation Versys.
I like everything about the VFR1200X, except for that hideous front end with the pinched headlight and micro beak. Seriously, it looks like Honda took design cues from the first-generation Versys.
Whew, yeah ... the 1st-gen Versys 650 thang was indeed atrocious.
 
Roper_imp said:
Scotty_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The rumored CB1100X would be my ideal touring bike if the weight can be kept below 500 lbs like the Rebel 1100. Equip with cruise control and decent locking luggage. Don't try to make it into a pseudo ADV with outrageous seat height, 30-31 inches is fine and give it a seat that doesn't need to be the first thing an owner replaces.
The speculation images look a lot like the VFR1200X; a bike I'm surprised didn't sell so well over here. Journalists liked that V4 engine too.
I like everything about the VFR1200X, except for that hideous front end with the pinched headlight and micro beak. Seriously, it looks like Honda took design cues from the first-generation Versys.
I like everything about the VFR1200X, except for that hideous front end with the pinched headlight and micro beak. Seriously, it looks like Honda took design cues from the first-generation Versys.
Hmm, I kinda like the styling. Or maybe it's that red paint I fell for on the CB. The engineering is really evident in person. The single sided shaft/swing arm is striking. Could be on my wish list. My inseam makes me a little leery though!
 
Scotty_imp said:
Roper_imp said:
Scotty_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The rumored CB1100X would be my ideal touring bike if the weight can be kept below 500 lbs like the Rebel 1100. Equip with cruise control and decent locking luggage. Don't try to make it into a pseudo ADV with outrageous seat height, 30-31 inches is fine and give it a seat that doesn't need to be the first thing an owner replaces.
The speculation images look a lot like the VFR1200X; a bike I'm surprised didn't sell so well over here. Journalists liked that V4 engine too.
I like everything about the VFR1200X, except for that hideous front end with the pinched headlight and micro beak. Seriously, it looks like Honda took design cues from the first-generation Versys.
I like everything about the VFR1200X, except for that hideous front end with the pinched headlight and micro beak. Seriously, it looks like Honda took design cues from the first-generation Versys.
Hmm, I kinda like the styling. Or maybe it's that red paint I fell for on the CB. The engineering is really evident in person. The single sided shaft/swing arm is striking. Could be on my wish list. My inseam makes me a little leery though!
Scott - that is just dirty talk. Say more, please!








Honda! Bring on the shaft!
 
Back
Top