W800 Cafe version

Thread starter
cooldrum_imp said:
I'm glad you took the leap to add another bike to the stable. It's just a perfect motor for the backroads we have here in our area. The power is very linear in feel similar to the CB. We'll have to meet up for coffee when I'm out on my W.
Sounds good on the coffee!! What W do you have, a '20 red, a '21 blue? Or are you saying you have a W650 from 20000-'01?
 
pdedse_imp said:
cooldrum_imp said:
I'm glad you took the leap to add another bike to the stable. It's just a perfect motor for the backroads we have here in our area. The power is very linear in feel similar to the CB. We'll have to meet up for coffee when I'm out on my W.
Sounds good on the coffee!! What W do you have, a '20 red, a '21 blue? Or are you saying you have a W650 from 20000-'01?
...wish I to be there in 20000 :D
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
Going to go the other way here and voice my love for that cowl. I think it is what makes the bike look “Café”. Looking at the lowered handles makes my back hurt though.
At first, it didn't strike my fancy, but I'll admit it's growing on me. I've been told the cowl is easy to take off, so I might play with the look. I have seen a video of a guy who swapped out bars for something more upright which would make the cafe look like a dark red or blue version. We'll see.
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
cooldrum_imp said:
I'm glad you took the leap to add another bike to the stable. It's just a perfect motor for the backroads we have here in our area. The power is very linear in feel similar to the CB. We'll have to meet up for coffee when I'm out on my W.
Sounds good on the coffee!! What W do you have, a '20 red, a '21 blue? Or are you saying you have a W650 from 20000-'01?
...wish I to be there in 20000 :D
...wish I to be there in 20000 :D
Missed it by a year or two, huh. :)
 
pdedse_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
Going to go the other way here and voice my love for that cowl. I think it is what makes the bike look “Café”. Looking at the lowered handles makes my back hurt though.
At first, it didn't strike my fancy, but I'll admit it's growing on me. I've been told the cowl is easy to take off, so I might play with the look. I have seen a video of a guy who swapped out bars for something more upright which would make the cafe look like a dark red or blue version. We'll see.
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
cooldrum_imp said:
I'm glad you took the leap to add another bike to the stable. It's just a perfect motor for the backroads we have here in our area. The power is very linear in feel similar to the CB. We'll have to meet up for coffee when I'm out on my W.
Sounds good on the coffee!! What W do you have, a '20 red, a '21 blue? Or are you saying you have a W650 from 20000-'01?
...wish I to be there in 20000 :D
...wish I to be there in 20000 :D
Missed it by a year or two, huh. :)
pdedse: Just buy it and the uncertainty will go away.
 
Rox_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
for W experts, is it a 180 or a 270 crank?

Pretty sure the new 800 is a 270 degree crank.

Does anyone even make a 180?
No, all W800, also all W650, are true parallel twins which means, are 360 degree parallel twins.

Im glad to own such a machine.
 
Thread starter
Felt just a bit tight in the knees, back of neck and hips at about 40 miles into a ride this morning, but after a brief stretching, felt fine for another 30 miles. Then I found a nice riding position that felt just right. I think the body acclimates.

This bike is VERY FUN to ride. I'm surprised I'm enjoying the forward-leaning, cafe style riding--never really suspected that I would.

What could be more OR looking...
90dc70128b459214d131c24babdbf378.jpg

dc3c043fbb1ad4d075043ddc4d24b206.jpg
 
Rox_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
for W experts, is it a 180 or a 270 crank?

Pretty sure the new 800 is a 270 degree crank.

Does anyone even make a 180?

Pretty sure the new 800 is a 270 degree crank.

Does anyone even make a 180?
yep, the venerable old Ninja 650 motor is a 180 degree Ptwin. the reason i asked is because I have a bike with that motor in it, and 180 twins sound very different from 270s (270's sound way way better).
 
pdedse_imp said:
Felt just a bit tight in the knees, back of neck and hips at about 40 miles into a ride this morning, but after a brief stretching, felt fine for another 30 miles. Then I found a nice riding position that felt just right. I think the body acclimates.

This bike is VERY FUN to ride. I'm surprised I'm enjoying the forward-leaning, cafe style riding--never really suspected that I would.

What could be more OR looking...
90dc70128b459214d131c24babdbf378.jpg

dc3c043fbb1ad4d075043ddc4d24b206.jpg
Nice pdedse.

Nice image captures too. :thumbsup:
 
Here in the UK there are curently three flavours of the W800,your cafe, the stripped back flat tracker and the standard fully chromed out version-(my favourite)which is the one nearest to the original W1.
Heres my 2004 W650 who I named George...Dubya!
I loved mine but the head of accounts didn't like riding on the back which was a deal breaker for me and I've regretted selling it ever since.
I spent some time getting it back to A1 condition too!
9691cb28671e74194769e16790991923.jpg

254d04a365bd9a0e9a4c6a2183ef4ac8.jpg

d5c1dd7cef551611109b833cc4985f18.jpg

46b3b3cdfd219b96cd92560c07f0350a.jpg

0b1a5dcd7172bb29f4e70b5b357d8ba9.jpg


This bike for me was the nearest thing in spirit to the CB1100

JT
 
Indeed it is a sad situation when the government finds something to put them off the bike and we really want them involved. I am at a similar situation now, luckily she thinks CB1100 is the prettiest bike she'd ever seen, and we're past the point where we insist on anything. Bike stays

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
Got an offer I couldn't refuse from forum member Cooldrum...we had met for a CB1100 ride initiated by Guth about 5 years ago with several other NW riders. Cooldrum let me know that he had recently purchased a year 2000 W650 and with my recent purchase of a 2020 w800 café, a meet-up was called for. Yesterday, Sunday, was about a nice a day as one can hope for. We met at Carver Park and re-aquainted, and looked over each other's bike.

His blue version is the "one that got away" for me back in 2012-2014 when I was actively searching for one. What a treat to finally see in person:

584e48e7b3fc44e3d823eb4dbb2d1a12.jpg


Cooldrum's fall shadow is about to join us for a ride:
cb2bed6fecf367ed2b83c4a63ec9f87f.jpg


So fun to see the 2000's details readily apparent in the '20 café
73563efa77738edca956161b87dcb7ad.jpg


I'd like you to meet Mr. Cooldrum
fc6cccf37b24e0af8bbb801c83fd369e.jpg


The funny thing is that as soon as I heard him talk, I knew I had heard his voice before (why were you never a radio announcer?!? such a distinctive, re-assuring voice)...he "stars" in a youtube video where The Mighty Garage (Mike?) reviews classic bikes...here's one on Cooldrum's '74 CB750 K4:




After catching up, we went for an hour plus ride combing the back roads south and east of Carver Park towards the Estacada area, and then meandered back to our starting point. Such a fun outing...the Ws sounded like they spoke the same language!

Checking our route and ride time...
6469aa87ef6e2f23af6d21bc6bd090c3.jpg


Thanks Cooldrum for the invite!
 
That might be a first: forum members meeting up on the same but different bikes. Nice one.
 
Thread starter
I've got a 1000 plus miles on the W800... I was concerned that I would have a difficult time getting adjusted to the riding position, but so far so good.

Out looking for falling leaves...
5fd7128e1553e15223b8bb348e7736ac.jpg

ad889b6336a1d84c2117982fd68bf529.jpg

8140251723c0da9b755decf2ac9680e7.jpg
 
Back
Top