W800 Cafe version

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
For several years, just prior to buying a '14 CB1100 Standard, I was looking to buy a Kawasaki W650. I had three chances to buy a 2000 / 2001, but contacted the sellers just after they agreed on price to someone else, so I moved on.

After mulling over a nicely discounted 2020 W800 Cafe for several months now, I finally purchased one. $6000 plus 500 for freight, $636 for 4 years of DMV registration, and out the door for $7136 (OR has no sales tax).

I wasn't sure about the riding position, but I really wanted to try one of these at some point, and the blue '21 standard version was still over 9k, over 10 with the extras, and I just didn't want to go that steep. Plus they had 1 year free financing, so $550 a month for a year. Very do able.

101de94714f23cb49019f57a7d3e7c23.jpg

e0f9571596952ff3e7228ee48aaab687.jpg

4a2d7e420ccb087b3ab2aa7b4be7bd19.jpg

6e674230da1aefde24c5dff2298dd782.jpg

bd10d426bde17f65a5c7eea44024af68.jpg

eb8210d81b40a93f65e0fa6e37f47bfc.jpg


Took a nice, relaxing rural route home and 60 miles of fun. Yes, I'm a bit too tall for the bike, will need to add a seat pad, maybe lower the pegs a bit...but I think the riding position pleasantly surprised me. Love the sound, not overly loud, but a bit more noticeable than that of the CB1100.
 
Congrats pdedse, beautiful bike. I've been jonesing over the new Triumph Speed Twin for a while now, your new Kawi is roughly half the price of the Triumph. Seems like a great bang for buck bike to me!

I read a review on your Kawi recently and they claimed the motor "has little personality and is predictably boring". I've read similar reviews about our CB's. When I see that it always makes me wonder what the reviewer's expectations are? Personally, I find the linear feel of predictable motors likable and comforting. I never feel like my CB will catch me by surprise and get away from me, like previous sport bikes I've owned. Don't feel like I need that drama in my rides at this age.

Anyway, how would you compare the motor characteristics to our CB's? Curious...
 
Thread starter
I looked out into the garage...and it's still there. A new bike always seems so unreal to me.

Thanks for the well-wishes, appreciated. When I went in to the dealership to look at the bike (about 4 times this summer), I was on my CB1100 and the sales guy seemed to be asking with high hopes if I was going to use it as trade-in...nope!

A couple of other employees were out in the lot looking at my '17 EX and I overheard one said, "that's the CB1100--the one I was just telling you about"...I suppose it's all vanity but it's nice to hear others talking well about your bike...kinda like another parent at your kids soccer match wondering whose child just scored a goal when it was yours.

After a good 1.5 hours on the w800 yesterday, knees, hips--all good; lower back--the usual stiffness. I'm eager to get it out this morning for another hour plus ride.

I actually did not like the look of this bike--I mean, at all--when I first saw photos on the internet...first the cowling...then, the brown is just too UPS looking...
9f910072984bd80c3186396d9fecb246.jpg


But I've never experienced before such a stark difference in how a bike looks in photos and how it looks in person. This photo is a bit stylized, but it's more true to how I perceived it the first time in person:
ebcfcba0fa70dcfd154c248a76975342.jpg


In person, the brown takes on hues of green and grey, and has nice bronze gold flake that shows radiantly in the sunshine. I might remove the cowling--it's easy to do so--and try a different bar at some point. But I'll ride it a good 1000 miles before I do anything to see how it fits.

Anyway...now I'm just waiting for my wife to notice there's another bike in the garage. She works at home now with covid and doesn't need to go out much, so it might take her a few weeks.
:cool:
 
Its funny...the CB1100 and the W800 Cafe are kindred spirits in that way. Whenever you pull up on one everybody wants to look at it, people point it out and whisper to eachother about it. People ask you questions about it. By all accounts its an eye catching and desirable bike. And yet....nobody bought them. The Motorcycle Market is strange.
 
I'm glad you took the leap to add another bike to the stable. It's just a perfect motor for the backroads we have here in our area. The power is very linear in feel similar to the CB. We'll have to meet up for coffee when I'm out on my W.
 
Well done, pdedse. Lovely bike, although I agree it may well be prettier without the cowl.
 
Congrats pdedse.
Agreed with Cormanus, without the cowl.......with windshield or naked would look better IMHO
 
Going to go the other way here and voice my love for that cowl. I think it is what makes the bike look “Café”. Looking at the lowered handles makes my back hurt though.
 
Great looking bike. Know you'll enjoy it. I bought the standard Blue after seeing a post on this forum a couple of months ago. I've logged about 900 miles so far. It's broken in now & rides better & better every time. I went ahead and bought a shop manual. They are so easy to work on. Kawasaki did a great job. Know I'll be riding this one for years.
 
I LOVE THESE. Underpowered but that's not why you buy a W. You buy a W because they're beautiful with that gigantic pushrod and stuff.

I would recommend slapping steel lines on the brakes. Helps tremendously.

And these with a nice exhaust? Music.. Utter music.. Did I tell you I love these Dubbyas? :heart:
 
Rox_imp said:
I LOVE THESE. Underpowered but that's not why you buy a W. You buy a W because they're beautiful with that gigantic pushrod and stuff.

I would recommend slapping steel lines on the brakes. Helps tremendously.

And these with a nice exhaust? Music.. Utter music.. Did I tell you I love these Dubbyas? :heart:
You are totally on top of it Rox.

I'd ride the W even if it had a flat tire. It would be such an honour.
 
Back
Top