Touring in rain ?

Sadly, it looks like my ride to the rally will be thunderstorm plagued. But I have two days to ride 550 miles, so I am splitting it roughly in the middle and that should give time to stop if needed. The only good thing about thunderstorms is that they tend to pass on by. Here's hoping!
 
Having a big windshield like the Plexistar can be a big help. When the skies open up, you make yourself as small as possible and keep your speed up. I rode through a couple of heavy isolated thunderstorms last year on my way to Idaho. Instead of stopping to put on rain gear, I opted to ride through the dark rain shaft, hoping it wasn't too big. It worked out quite well. I was only wet from the knees down. My upper body stayed pretty dry.

I'm getting ready to leave for this year's trek to Idaho in the morning. According to the weather wizards, I'll probably be using my rain gear this time. Lots of widespread showers most of the way.
 
Maybe I should assume this, but are you doing this cross-country trip on the CB1100? If so, I applaud you!

I don't think anyone else mentioned this....but don't forget about chain maintenance after the rainy days. These things seem to rust up fairly quickly.
 
That would be a safe assumption, Jim! I've only got the CB750 and the CB1100. Before the CB11 my 750 did the long distance duty, but the 1100's better suspension, brakes and power make it my go-to road trip bike these days. I've never owned an actual touring specific bike.

I'm way ahead of you on the chain. I neglected to bring chain lube last year and wasted a lot of time riding around looking for some when the chain started to get noisy. This year I've already packed a big can of DuPont Chainguard. Should last me all summer.
 
Arizona to Idaho is one heck of a trip, in it's own right.....but Bflint is headed from Southern California to Maryland!

I'd like to consider myself a stoic individual, but I'm not sure I could make that trip on my 5-speed, shieldless CB.

Wishing you both a safe and enjoyable ride, wet or dry!
 
Thread starter
Bflint chickened out trying to make Maryland by Memorial Day ... nonstop rain there per forecasts. Going to postpone or a couple of weeks until there are just thunderstorms. Might go up to Idaho Falls to visit uncle though ... weather seems to be ok their. :)
 
I didn't read all the threads, and jumping in.

California to Maryland? It has been my experience I seldom get wet riding west to east. If you leave California, and no rain system is currently on the Mainland, good chance you make it all the way to maryland and never get wet. The wrench in that is the midwest in summer are subject to pop storms that are fiercest I've ever come across.

Catching one out in the Plains downright dangerous as a guy on bike is tall and subject to lightening. My advice. Have a nice weather app on your phone. Check it often to see what lies ahead. Plot around it, or late in the day hold up and let it dissipate on its on when the coolness of the night settles in.

I hate riding in the rain for long term. It just makes the whole day crappy. There is no such thing as waterproof riding gear, eventually water finds its way in. On a naked bike like a CB you're gonna get really wet.
 
I have Frogg Toggs as well....going that distance....you are going to get WET.....no getting around it...Wet I can Handle...WET and COLD...I cannot!
 
After years of riding in the rain and spending the majority of my life outside miserable in the elements (Army), there is one option that I have found that is far superior to every other rain suit (a lot) that I have tried but it isn't very fashionable.

British Army gortex rain gear works like nothing else, I use the desert camouflage as it is quite light coloured. A bonus is it packs up quite small.
 
If I'm in my mesh gear, I throw on my Olympia New Horizon rain jacket and Horizon rain pants. Very good at keeping water out. If I'm wearing hardshell jacket and pants, I just ride on. Eventually I'll get wet but if it's not torrential or continuous I'll stay dry.
Banned_imp said:
After years of riding in the rain and spending the majority of my life outside miserable in the elements (Army), there is one option that I have found that is far superior to every other rain suit (a lot) that I have tried but it isn't very fashionable.

British Army gortex rain gear works like nothing else, I use the desert camouflage as it is quite light coloured. A bonus is it packs up quite small.
Awesome idea!
 
memphismike_imp said:
I have Frogg Toggs as well....going that distance....you are going to get WET.....no getting around it...Wet I can Handle...WET and COLD...I cannot!
My experience is that, if you have Frogg Toggs, you will get very wet indeed. So wet that you might as well save the money to spend at the laundromat drying your gear at the end of many rides.
 
I spent several hours in the rain last week...wet gloves and dealing with boot covers were the biggest pain.

Got these coming for boots:

Sidi Aria Gore-Tex Boots

bfd3eebf99e937247fcdfdf6cbccbcc5.jpg


Just got these overgloves:

Klim Forecast Split Finger Glove - Gore Tex

They have a special easy (with gloves on) cuff tie, sticky fingers, visor wipe, split finger design.

ece053273d3e6ecf00c75afb99a2ce9d.jpg


Thought about getting some Gore Tex gloves, but I got highly recommend Lee Parks gloves.

I got the Deer Tour Outseams (not sure if I needed outseams, but sounded comfortable):

0da386b447f938237b73e81d4e1cd2f5.jpg


Nothing on Jacket or Pants yet.....the Frog Toggs worked OK....Pants will be next since they are also such a pain to put on. I'll be looking for recommendations. I want Gore Tex Summer Rain Pants I can wear rain or shine...any suggestions?

Everything Gore Tex so far....like Long Ranger recommended!
 
I have those boots (earlier version) and those overgloves. Both are awesome. Here is the rain suit I got. Also awesome, and costs less than the overgloves :banana:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-rain-suit

I rode home from the Kentucky Rally through eight hours of all kinds of miserable rain. I stayed dry all the way. The only challenge with the setup is the overgloves' silicone grips are so sticky that it takes some getting used to. Hard to slip the clutch when your grip won't slip!
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
I have those boots (earlier version) and those overgloves. Both are awesome. Here is the rain suit I got. Also awesome, and costs less than the overgloves :banana:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-rain-suit

I rode home from the Kentucky Rally through eight hours of all kinds of miserable rain. I stayed dry all the way. The only challenge with the setup is the overgloves' silicone grips are so sticky that it takes some getting used to. Hard to slip the clutch when your grip won't slip!
Thanks! That does look like a nice rain suit!

How it's it in 90+ degree heat....with these summer storms you are in and out of rain a lot....the frog togs got hot in between. So you go from like high 70s to 90s and back to 70s quickly.

Also if I go rain suit.....I'm looking for pants that have full side zippers....it's hard for old fat people to find a place to put them on. I'd really prefer some type of Gore-Tex Pants that are summer rated that I can just put on and forget about them.

Funny on the way home from Berea it started raining hard out in the middle of no where....only place I could find to sit down to put my over boots covers on was the front steps of a country church....glad it was there.
 
I stop at country churches a lot... For a rest, for shade, to make or recieve a phone call, to check directions on my map. They are everywhere, abandoned every day except for a few hours on Sunday. When there is no place around to pull over, there is usually a church with an empty lot close by.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
I have those boots (earlier version) and those overgloves. Both are awesome. Here is the rain suit I got. Also awesome, and costs less than the overgloves :banana:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-rain-suit

I rode home from the Kentucky Rally through eight hours of all kinds of miserable rain. I stayed dry all the way. The only challenge with the setup is the overgloves' silicone grips are so sticky that it takes some getting used to. Hard to slip the clutch when your grip won't slip!
Thanks! That does look like a nice rain suit!

How it's it in 90+ degree heat....with these summer storms you are in and out of rain a lot....the frog togs got hot in between. So you go from like high 70s to 90s and back to 70s quickly.

Also if I go rain suit.....I'm looking for pants that have full side zippers....it's hard for old fat people to find a place to put them on. I'd really prefer some type of Gore-Tex Pants that are summer rated that I can just put on and forget about them.

Funny on the way home from Berea it started raining hard out in the middle of no where....only place I could find to sit down to put my over boots covers on was the front steps of a country church....glad it was there.
It is well ventilated but it's still another layer on top of your riding suit, so I'm sure it gets warm. Until they come up with an in-suit A/C, that's going to be a problem. And it's a pain in the butt to get the pants on when you are wet. Forget sliding them over your boots. A full zip would be nice but not terribly waterproof.

My regular riding suit has a waterproof liner (not Goretex but similar I suppose) and it keeps me mostly dry, but the suit itself gets wet and takes time to dry after a ride, so I like having that waterproofness on the outside.
 
I once camped in a church yard on South Hero Island in Lake Champlain touring on my '84 Virago 1000, there simply wasn't anywhere else to stay and we were very done riding for the day. One of the locals actually suggested it.
 
do not tour any more but frequently enjoy that stinging sensation of an open faced helmet , T shirt and shorts. now that's hard core ......
 
I finally got these that were mentioned early in this thread.

b74ffa9a944b23c6b0ed45e96628d94d.jpg


Kept looking for some full zip over pants summer rain pants but as far as I can tell even the most expensive ones still use a rain liner and the liner doesn't have full zippers..

I was looking either for full time rain pants that weren't hot or full zip rain over pants that I could put on over boots while standing up...from everything I've found...neither exist.

The above frog toggs have a 12 in zipper, but doesn't help much in going over boots. The frog toggs say they are breathable and do have a flap for your front pockets so they might be more tolerable to leave on when there is no rain.
 
Back
Top