Touring in rain ?

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Anybody do long rides in rain/thunderstorms? I only ride in sunny/cloudy skys, not rainy skys. I'm getting ready to start tour from San Diego CA to Annapolis Maryland. Planned on late May or early June depending on weather, but Maryland buddy wants me to make it to his party on May 27. Problem is, all the traveling routes seem to have rain/thunderstorms in the forecast for all of May. Don't know if this inclimate weather lasts all day or for just a few hours each day ... guess if it was for just a few hour each day I could take shelter. Thoughts? :)
 
bflint_imp said:
Anybody do long rides in rain/thunderstorms? I only ride in sunny/cloudy skys, not rainy skys. I'm getting ready to start tour from San Diego CA to Annapolis Maryland. Planned on late May or early June depending on weather, but Maryland buddy wants me to make it to his party on May 27. Problem is, all the traveling routes seem to have rain/thunderstorms in the forecast for all of May. Don't know if this inclimate weather lasts all day or for just a few hours each day ... guess if it was for just a few hour each day I could take shelter. Thoughts? :)
I use these.

Motorcycle Rain Gear - Frogg Toggs



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
bflint_imp said:
Anybody do long rides in rain/thunderstorms? I only ride in sunny/cloudy skys, not rainy skys. I'm getting ready to start tour from San Diego CA to Annapolis Maryland. Planned on late May or early June depending on weather, but Maryland buddy wants me to make it to his party on May 27. Problem is, all the traveling routes seem to have rain/thunderstorms in the forecast for all of May. Don't know if this inclimate weather lasts all day or for just a few hours each day ... guess if it was for just a few hour each day I could take shelter. Thoughts? :)
I have ridden in all types of weather, but I'd you are riding in the rain invest in quality rain gear and buy gear that is motorcycle specific...the gear I have is revit and dianese.. If your boots and gloves are not waterproof get covers for them...have a helmet with antifog or penlock. Invest in some roll/dry bags and put your things in zip lock bags...pack clothes that dry quickly...as for riding dial it back 20%....and do 5-10 mph less than the speed limit...mist and light rain are more dangerous as the moisture collects with the grease/oil on the roads....good tires are a must with pirelli and Michelin being my top choices...but had Dunlops do well also...

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
 
bflint_imp said:
Anybody do long rides in rain/thunderstorms? I only ride in sunny/cloudy skys, not rainy skys. I'm getting ready to start tour from San Diego CA to Annapolis Maryland. Planned on late May or early June depending on weather, but Maryland buddy wants me to make it to his party on May 27. Problem is, all the traveling routes seem to have rain/thunderstorms in the forecast for all of May. Don't know if this inclimate weather lasts all day or for just a few hours each day ... guess if it was for just a few hour each day I could take shelter. Thoughts? :)
I went to Nova Scotia a few years ago on an adventure bike with a wind screen. The only day that we did not get any rain was the day we did the Cabot Trail. I'll never be afraid of riding in the rain again but I will always be extra careful.

Take GOOD rain gear. I like the Olympia Pants that zip all the way up the legs. The short zippers are a pain to get on when your boots are wet. Make sure you have new tires, a wind screen is very helpful for touring and take it slow.
 
Thread starter
I use these.
Motorcycle Rain Gear - Frogg Toggs
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Got em, but haven't had to use em.
sewellbrandon_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
Anybody do long rides in rain/thunderstorms? I only ride in sunny/cloudy skys, not rainy skys. I'm getting ready to start tour from San Diego CA to Annapolis Maryland. Planned on late May or early June depending on weather, but Maryland buddy wants me to make it to his party on May 27. Problem is, all the traveling routes seem to have rain/thunderstorms in the forecast for all of May. Don't know if this inclimate weather lasts all day or for just a few hours each day ... guess if it was for just a few hour each day I could take shelter. Thoughts? :)
I have ridden in all types of weather, but I'd you are riding in the rain invest in quality rain gear and buy gear that is motorcycle specific...the gear I have is revit and dianese.. If your boots and gloves are not waterproof get covers for them...have a helmet with antifog or penlock. Invest in some roll/dry bags and put your things in zip lock bags...pack clothes that dry quickly...as for riding dial it back 20%....and do 5-10 mph less than the speed limit...mist and light rain are more dangerous as the moisture collects with the grease/oil on the roads....good tires are a must with pirelli and Michelin being my top choices...but had Dunlops do well also...

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
Will look into antifog solution for my Scorpion R710 helmet. Have new Pirellis and drybag everything. Driving slower makes sense, but driving without wipers kinda freaks me out :)
 
This time of year there is going to be a fair amount of rain on the east coast but I find these weather reports will say 60% chance of rain and many times that really refers more to afternoon thunderstorms so much of the day would actually be dry. Of course if it says 90-100% rain it's gonna be wet.

Good rain gear makes a world of difference, there's nothing more miserable as riding soaking wet. A helmet with a visor makes a big difference too and take some rainx with you for that visor.
 
Thread starter
HWdesign_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
Anybody do long rides in rain/thunderstorms? I only ride in sunny/cloudy skys, not rainy skys. I'm getting ready to start tour from San Diego CA to Annapolis Maryland. Planned on late May or early June depending on weather, but Maryland buddy wants me to make it to his party on May 27. Problem is, all the traveling routes seem to have rain/thunderstorms in the forecast for all of May. Don't know if this inclimate weather lasts all day or for just a few hours each day ... guess if it was for just a few hour each day I could take shelter. Thoughts? :)
I went to Nova Scotia a few years ago on an adventure bike with a wind screen. The only day that we did not get any rain was the day we did the Cabot Trail. I'll never be afraid of riding in the rain again but I will always be extra careful.

Take GOOD rain gear. I like the Olympia Pants that zip all the way up the legs. The short zippers are a pain to get on when your boots are wet. Make sure you have new tires, a wind screen is very helpful for touring and take it slow.
Have big National Plexistar 2 wind screen for touring which should help.
KiowaEagle_imp said:
This time of year there is going to be a fair amount of rain on the east coast but I find these weather reports will say 60% chance of rain and many times that really refers more to afternoon thunderstorms so much of the day would actually be dry. Of course if it says 90-100% rain it's gonna be wet.

Good rain gear makes a world of difference, there's nothing more miserable as riding soaking wet. A helmet with a visor makes a big difference too and take some rainx with you for that visor.
Ok, Rainx it is. I will take your "chance of rain" forecast percentage ranges into consideration.
 
Get all the gear you want. If doing distance in rain you will get wet. Just keep that in mind. You can pack your clothes/gear in plastic bags and should keep it mostly dry, but, you will eventually get wet.
 
Sounds like a big adventure! Rain is only as bad as you let it be. Layered clothing and a quality rain suit will make everything better. If you have a windscreen you should be okay unless it's a frog-choker of a storm. At that point, you just gotta pull over and wait it out. Since you will be traveling with the wind, be careful not to just ride along at the same pace as the bad weather. Let a front pass you by before continuing. And have a fun time!!
 
Six things.

First, Bheezy is totally correct. If it rains all day you’ll get wet not matter how good your gear. But not completely and that’s worth something.

Secondly, Inhouse Bob is very knowledgeable about riding in the rain and should be consulted.

Thirdly, good luck with Frogg Toggs. I tried them and, to say the least, was unimpressed.

Fourthly, overgloves are great. Mine work really well and my hands always stay dry. For some reason that’s a bonus.

Fifthly, beware the mist. Because it’s hard to see, you have to go slowly. The droplets are small and, because you are going slowly, do not roll off your visor. You gradually go blind. It is also very wet, so wear your wets.

Sixthly, if, like me, you are over 60 and you look like having a day of it, either insert a catheter first thing or wear a wet suit. Peeling off the gear at every stop is seriously irritating.
 
BHeezy is right, but it's only water. I have ridden in every conditon mother nature has to offer and an all day rain is one of the worst. Thankfully all day rains are rare. Usually you are in and out of rain in an hour or so. Rain usually moves in cells with the prevailing wind. Good rain gear will stave off most of the hour or so rains, if you remember to put it on, but in an all day rain, where a weather front is " socked in" eventually it will get thru your face shield, your collar, your wrists, your boot tops and worst of all your crotch lol. Waterproof gloves are the hardest to find and truly waterproof ones are rarer than hens teeth so take two pairs of gloves. One that will get wet, and ones you can wear while the wet ones are drying. Sometimes for an all day rain, if you don't have a schedule, it's just better to get a room and sit it out. Start fresh the next day.

Slow down a bit, don't lean over as far, leave extra room for stopping, and you will soon get used to rain riding. It can actually be pleasant. Oh and after a day of riding in the rain, throw some lube on your chain.
 
I think I'd ck the weather/radar on my cell phone every once in awhile (gas ups). You might be able to see it coming or avoid it altogether. When it lights up red that's when I'd be having a coffee or a bite to eat.

I know here in the PNW it can be raining up the street and sunny the next block over sometimes.

Are tornados a concern this time of year back east? What do you do riding in tornado country when things get hot?
Just ride and when you see one try to out run it? :)
 
el duque_imp said:
I think I'd ck the weather/radar on my cell phone every once in awhile (gas ups). You might be able to see it coming or avoid it altogether. When it lights up red that's when I'd be having a coffee or a bite to eat.

I know here in the PNW it can be raining up the street and sunny the next block over sometimes.

Are tornados a concern this time of year back east? What do you do riding in tornado country when things get hot?
Just ride and when you see one try to out run it? :)
They aren't so common that you should fear them. If tornadoes are coming, you will see a wall of thunderheads developing beforehand. They are produced by large shifts in air pressure and rapidly rising air, so things move fast. You don't want to have to try and and outrun one. Better to avoid any fast-building thunderheads entirely. Fortunately, they move away as fast as they form, so you won't be stopped long. But keep an eye on your rear-view because if you are coming east, they will sneak up behind you.

This from NOAA... In the open outdoors: If possible, seek shelter in a sturdy building. If not, lie flat and face-down on low ground, protecting the back of your head with your arms. Get as far away from trees and cars as you can; they may be blown onto you in a tornado.
 
i recently took a three day trip with rain forecast all three days. frogg toggs and a four hundred dollar windshield. it didn't rain one drop the whole trip! LOL!
 
The ferret_imp said:
BHeezy is right, but it's only water. I have ridden in every conditon mother nature has to offer and an all day rain is one of the worst. Thankfully all day rains are rare. Usually you are in and out of rain in an hour or so. Rain usually moves in cells with the prevailing wind. Good rain gear will stave off most of the hour or so rains, if you remember to put it on, but in an all day rain, where a weather front is " socked in" eventually it will get thru your face shield, your collar, your wrists, your boot tops and worst of all your crotch lol. Waterproof gloves are the hardest to find and truly waterproof ones are rarer than hens teeth so take two pairs of gloves. One that will get wet, and ones you can wear while the wet ones are drying. Sometimes for an all day rain, if you don't have a schedule, it's just better to get a room and sit it out. Start fresh the next day.

Slow down a bit, don't lean over as far, leave extra room for stopping, and you will soon get used to rain riding. It can actually be pleasant. Oh and after a day of riding in the rain, throw some lube on your chain.
Great advice for riding procedure in the rain.

I'm with you Ferret, a few times throughout the year I will purposely go ride in the rain. I really enjoy it for some reason. I guess it's just a different perspective of the usual rides. Crotch most always gets wet though. I'm ok with it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
BHeezy is right, but it's only water. I have ridden in every conditon mother nature has to offer and an all day rain is one of the worst. Thankfully all day rains are rare. Usually you are in and out of rain in an hour or so. Rain usually moves in cells with the prevailing wind. Good rain gear will stave off most of the hour or so rains, if you remember to put it on, but in an all day rain, where a weather front is " socked in" eventually it will get thru your face shield, your collar, your wrists, your boot tops and worst of all your crotch lol. Waterproof gloves are the hardest to find and truly waterproof ones are rarer than hens teeth so take two pairs of gloves. One that will get wet, and ones you can wear while the wet ones are drying. Sometimes for an all day rain, if you don't have a schedule, it's just better to get a room and sit it out. Start fresh the next day.

Slow down a bit, don't lean over as far, leave extra room for stopping, and you will soon get used to rain riding. It can actually be pleasant. Oh and after a day of riding in the rain, throw some lube on your chain.
A chain driven bike isn't the best not even good for long travelling in rain. The chain is runnig too often dry because the water washes the lubricatiion away sooner as you can imagine. I rode a lot in permant rain during my Scandinavia and Great Britain tours. Did I like it? Of course not that much. What should I do, gone there, rode there and made the best out of it. So I got used to it, always oiling the chain with doubtful results. Me and my bike got real dirty and I got an oiled bike in the rear in the end, but mostly a dry chain, something I don't like. The smoothness of a chain driven bike has gone away. When I renew the chain on my bikes, I try out wax based chain lubrication, should be more water resistent. I'm in a test phase now. The first bike is the Bullet.

A laminat covered jacket and trouser don't require special rain dress. I'm satisfied with special offers from Vanucci, some run out articles bought relatively cheap round about 2 years ago. Daytona GTX are my boots of choice and I use old Goretex leather winter gloves from Held mostly even in summer while touring. My hands are used to them. A jethelm with a visier let my head stay dry.

I do ride during rain periods especially while touring when I have no other choice and also do the camping thing in them. There is only one way to survive in them, you have to develop a very special kind of humor and enjoy the times when you and your material will get dry again in between rain attacks.

Wisedrum
 
AEROSTICH roadcrafter one-piece suit is the gear any serious touring rider should wear on any trip. It’s waterproof, armored, pockets galore, and made for any weather; dry, wet, cold, warm.
 
Calling a minor "BS" on the "warm" weather comfort of the 'Stich. I think they are great suits, but they can get toasty in the summer. Even the R-3 Light is pretty darn warm. That's why I haven't dropped the $1200 dollars on one and prefer my 2-piece Revit rain gear.

Yes, it is true that you will get damp, if not wet, if you ride all day in the rain. Here's a tip: Make sure that your rain pants do not drain into your boots. I've taken to putting a small bungee cord around my ankle to prevent water from either bucketing in or spraying up in to my boots.

There is no reason that your gear in your bag should get wet at all. I have a drybag from Twisted Throttle that has always been completely watertight. REI or other outdoor stores sell dry "stuff sacks" that I have used for my clothing inside my Twisted Throttle bag. The inner bags have never been damp on the outside, but I use them anyway both as insurance and because I can compress the inner bags to make more room in the outer one (if that makes sense).

As someone else said, be prepared to get wet and feel fortunate when you're not TOO wet.

Safe travels.
 
Thunder storms (TS's) are best avoided. Take an alternate route around, or wait until it passes over your intended route. They contain heavy rains. Drizzle and showers are tolerable but heavy downpour is downright uncomfortable. Standing water increases the possibility of hydroplaning. TS's can contain strong gusty winds. Again, uncomfortable especially when combined with standing water and hydroplaning.

TS's can contain lightning. You are not encased in a metal cage. You are a high speed lightning rod and generating a static charge of your own. We routinely suspend racing events because of lightning in the area for safety.

Make your own decisions as to what weather risks you are willing to take, but the aim is to have an enjoyable ride. An Hour waiting someplace comfortable beats being miserable for hours. Been there done that, more than once. I guess I'm a slow learner. :rolleyes:

Jim
 
Back
Top