Tools you'll need

OK...so I'm getting a torque wrench. Mainly to prove I'm a man. Might opt for a mid-quality version to prove that I'm a man who can at once recognize quality machining and a good value. Sears opens at 10
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
OK...so I'm getting a torque wrench. Mainly to prove I'm a man. Might opt for a mid-quality version to prove that I'm a man who can at once recognize quality machining and a good value. Sears opens at 10

:rofl:

Just wait until you get into the wet threads / dry threads discussion with people after you have bought your Torque wrench. ( hint like a small oil thread)
 
Ferret you may want to add the size for the Front Fork Top caps which is 24 or 25 mm if you can find it in the manual - I used a high quality adjustable wrench .

Thanks
 
Thread starter
IndianRider_imp said:
Ferret you may want to add the size for the Front Fork Top caps which is 24 or 25 mm if you can find it in the manual - I used a high quality adjustable wrench .

Thanks
takes a 24 mm wrench an the torque is 16 ft lbs
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well learn something new everyday....jis stands for Japanese Industrial Standard and apparently Japanes screws are not really phillips head but JIS head. Interesting. Apparently if you grind .020 to .030 off the end of a phillips it will do a better job on Japanese screw by going deeper into the slot.

Thanks for the education ridesalot!
Question about JIS screws and drivers: Does anyone know whether old 1960's era Hondas used JIS screws for the side cases? I am doing some long needed projects on my 1967 CB77 (new handlebars, cables, etc.) and I need to pull the side case off. Historically, I used my old trusty Craftsman impact driver with the appropriate sized phillips bit, to break the screws loose.
Thanks, Mike

 
Thread starter
Yes they did, but your impact driver would still be the best tool for breaking them loose.
 
Torque wrenches. I've got a few and I've got a torque tester. Friend brought over his Harbor Freight, 1/2", $12 (w/coupon). Couldn't believe how accurate it was throughout the range. Thought it was just a fluke, so off I went to spend $12... it was just as accurate.

Not promoting HF, just saying...
 
Thread starter
Never seen a torque tester. What does it look like and how does it work?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Never seen a torque tester. What does it look like and how does it work?
It's a new one on me too.
When I restored my vintage bikes I made good use of an impact driver.
Couldn't have removed the cases without one.
 
I Googled them and man, they are expensive. I guess if you work in a Cal. lab though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Never seen a torque tester. What does it look like and how does it work?
I'll post a photo once I figure out some photobucket quirks.
The tool is a strain gauge. Used for reading ft.lbs. as torque is applied.
One of my former responsibilities was a Metrology lab. Kinda cool; the technicians & equipment were very intriguing. I took the tool in and had the accuracy verified.
 
Wish I'd had an impact driver today, although nothing at all to do with motorcycles ...
 
:rofl: No, some security screening on a house we bought last year that gave the upstairs deck a prison-like feeling. Not only did the screws that held in have a proprietary head, many of them were very hard to remove. A good old-fashioned impact driver may well have helped.
 
The toolkit did not come with the 2014 Deluxe I just bought and I was wondering if anyone had a lead on where I could possibly buy a replacement outside of a Honda dealer. I'm not even sure they'll sell the exact kit. It sounds like I would be better off with the Ferret's list but just trying to be picky about restoring the original toolkit that would be expected to come with my bike. Any suggestions?

I have life because He died. My CB1100 let's me enjoy the journey.
 
The ferret_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
OK...so I'm getting a torque wrench. Mainly to prove I'm a man. Might opt for a mid-quality version to prove that I'm a man who can at once recognize quality machining and a good value. Sears opens at 10

:rofl:

Just wait until you get into the wet threads / dry threads discussion with people after you have bought your Torque wrench. ( hint like a small oil thread)

:rofl:

Just wait until you get into the wet threads / dry threads discussion with people after you have bought your Torque wrench. ( hint like a small oil thread)
May as well get it over with now!! Honda service manuals make it easy to determine which fasteners are torqued dry, oiled or with a locking agent and also when to use new bolts, washers or lock nuts. All torque specs are usually listed up front in the general information section. Fasteners with special requirements are noted in the remarks column. When there are no remarks you can reuse the fastener and you torque it dry.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
We don't get a real (or full) tool kit in the US. Only an allen wrench, fuse puller and screwdriver or something. If you want a full kit you can order the parts. They are in the fiche. Here is a link for the DLX: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2014/CB1100SA+AC/TOOL/parts.html
Thanks Popgun. I saw something similar on the Bike Bandit web page. I may piecemeal from this list. Thanks for the info.

I have life because He died. My CB1100 makes the journey a little smoother.
 
Back
Top