Tools you'll need

The ferret_imp said:
For anyone needing to buy tools I would suggest getting a set of metric box wrenches 8 mm to 19 mm, a set of metric 6 point sockets same sizes, 5 and 6 mm allen sockets, a swivel ratchet, a 3" and a 6" socket extensions, a medium phillips screwdrive, medium and large flat blade screwdrivers and then individually buy your specialty sockets and/ or box end wrenches
22mm, 27mm, 32 mm ( or 1 1/4") and the 17 mm allen socket and a torque wrench ( if you are not confident on tightening fasteners)

I buy most of my stuff at Sears, or Harbor Freight but some specialty stuff I order from mcmaster-Carr.

McMaster-Carr
I must respectfully, yet strenuously disagree with this and with the orange hand-cleaner, (Gojo sucks bowling balls.) Phil Woods hand cleaner is superior in every way to Gojo. It cleans better, but is easier on the handskin, since it's made from woodpulp instead of pumice-stone. I used to think cracked, bleeding hands were a symbol of honor that all mechanics wore with pride, but that's just stupid. Phil Woods hand-cleaner is superior in every way IMO.
And none of us have an elbow-calibrator. I don't trust any mechanic too cheap or too much in a hurry to forgo a torque wrench.

8ced6b64bef8988e7f6c44905a25d0e7.jpg
 
+1 on the Phil Wood Hand Cleaner. Used Phil Wood products for years wrenching on bikes (bicycles). It cleans great the first time and takes care of your skin.
Wait,... am I really discussing skin care?
 
howlindaug_imp said:
+1 on the Phil Wood Hand Cleaner. Used Phil Wood products for years wrenching on bikes (bicycles). It cleans great the first time and takes care of your skin.
Wait,... am I really discussing skin care?
LOL

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
 
howlindaug_imp said:
+1 on the Phil Wood Hand Cleaner. Used Phil Wood products for years wrenching on bikes (bicycles). It cleans great the first time and takes care of your skin.
Wait,... am I really discussing skin care?
Well, it's important for when you stroke the tank lovingly. You don't want rough bits leaving scratches. Do you?
 
Any recommendations on a tire inflator/air compressor? There seem to be a lot of cheapos out there and I want something that will work for awhile. (not sure if this should be its own thread, but I figured it's a tool. So...)
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Any recommendations on a tire inflator/air compressor? There seem to be a lot of cheapos out there and I want something that will work for awhile. (not sure if this should be its own thread, but I figured it's a tool. So...)

Are we talking in the garage? Or for on the bike?

In the garage I have a Harbor Freight unit that will inflate tires, blow off parts etc.
Wasn't expensive, around $79 I think. Probably 5 years old now. Made by Central Pneumatic, 2 HP 8 gallon. I consider it minimum size for working in the garage.

For on the bike I carry a Campbell-Hausfeld Unit with the case removed and a connector for my battery tender jr.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Any recommendations on a tire inflator/air compressor? There seem to be a lot of cheapos out there and I want something that will work for awhile. (not sure if this should be its own thread, but I figured it's a tool. So...)
I bought one of these along with the dyna plug tool. Seems to be well made and I have only used mine once just to make sure it works to air up a tire. I am in no way endorsing this but just making you aware of them.

http://www.motopumps.com/

You can read about it at ADV rider.

New MotoPumps MiniPro Inflator (with ADV inmate bonus)
 
I meant for in the garage, but the on-bike alternative is intriguing as well. Thanks for the replies, OldF7Guy and Ferret
 
Thread starter
Here's the one I carry on the bike

 
That's great! I have a repair kit, but having the inflator, too makes so much sense I don't know why i never thought of it.

As to the garage compressor, what particular accessories/tools do you recommend having for working on my bikes? For non-bike work? I've never had or used a portable compressor before.
 
Thread starter
Honestly for mine I have an air chuck for inflating my tires, and a nozzle for blowing dirt out of a crevice. Unless you have a pretty substantial air compressor you are not going to be using air impact wrenches and the like.
 
I have a small Slime air compressor ($27.00) that works great for tires and is small enough to carry on the bike. I altered the wires to plug into my battery charger/heated vest connectors on the bike. However, CO2 cartridges work too and are smaller yet. I keep the compressor in the Gold Wing and the cartridges in the sport bikes.

Regarding Phillips head screwdrivers - use "cross-point" instead. They are not as pointy and are closer to JIS shape. I have a couple that have interchangeable tips - two sizes of common tips and two cross-point. Craftsman sells them too. Whenever possible, I replace any Phillips head bolts with Allen head stainless bolts. Some Sears hardware stores carry a good stock of metric stainless nuts and bolts.

Craftsman also has a combination wrench that has 8 different interchangeable metric ends, to fit about 9mm up to about 16mm. Very useful to carry on the bike and takes less space than 4 combination spanners.
 
As a newbie, I'm arriving late to this party, but I just wanted to thank ferret for the list of tools.
As a new owner, it's very helpful and saves me a lot of searching :thanks:
 
Thread starter
Again risking disclosing my mechanical ignorance, where would one purchase a shock spanner wrench? Are there different sizes?
 
ES. Yes there is different sizes. I had a few left over from some of my old 4 wheelers some fit great some was to big. Go to a old 4 wheeler repair shop or motorcycle grave yard most will give you one with the pliers and etc. The best pliers out there is the Polaris they have screwdrivers on the handles and the tip of the jaws are made for pulling out the black push pins out. Very neat pliers to have
 
ES,

You can also go to your dealer and either buy the Honda one, or an aftermarket one for a little less money. But they are not expensive.
 
Back
Top