Tire Options for our CB1100

i have them on my dlx

1c40cfc8449b900cd825565d6efbb526.jpg


when mine wears out, i hope metz still sells them as i do like them alot and will renew them again w/o hesitation.

2cdf6573aaed09a2402ba3b08817cf3d.jpg
 
What sort of mileage do you have on them, jedd?
 
I had the Metzeler Roadtec Z once, but not on the CB1100.

Very good road manners and handling - I liked them. However, my rear tire wore out very quickly - at least much faster than I expected.
 
I can add to this conversation by reporting that i just ordered my 2nd set of Avon Spirit ST tires for my CB1100. Those were a great set of shoes, let me tell you. They did everything the Michelin Pr3 did with aplomb, they stuck, had exceptional rain performance, and they were no slouch on mileage either. I mounted them back in November 2019, and since then have put over 14000 miles on them!! A truly exceptional tire, and they dont seem to be getting discontinued like all our other good options.
 
Mr P, what size is the rear Spirit? 160/60 or 140/70?
 
Cormanus looks like the rear is only available in a 160/60-18
 
ride4now_imp said:
Does anyone have experience with Metzeler Roadtec Z?
It seems to be the only tire available at my Honda dealer
in the stock size.
I have them since last season. I can't ride this season but I liked them alot last season. Didnt get as much opportunity to push them to their limits as much as the stocks but I trust them to do it when I can ride again.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
It does, Ferret. If they’re as good as the PR3s, I’ll try a set. If, of course I can get them when the current boots wear out.
 
I am now on my second set of Z8s, and I really like them. The first set I replaced after 13'000 km, but they could have gone several 1'000s more. I got a puncture in the rear and decided to replace both front and rear as a result. Also, I don't like to run tires to their limit, and prefer to replace sooner rather than later.

The feeling of these in my opinion is way better than the original Dunlops that my bike came with. I much prefer the rounded shape which leads to smooth and easy tip in to corners. Grip has never been an issue either on dry or wet. They will hold in corners way past when everything else is scraping on the bike.

Granted, they have been around for a long time now, and the Bridgestone Battlax T31 and T30 evo are newer designs. I think that the Dunlop Roadsmart III come in our sizes as well, but I have not had a chance to try any of these. For me, the Metzelers are perfectly matched for the CB.
 
Henrik_imp said:
I am now on my second set of Z8s, and I really like them. The first set I replaced after 13'000 km, but they could have gone several 1'000s more. I got a puncture in the rear and decided to replace both front and rear as a result. Also, I don't like to run tires to their limit, and prefer to replace sooner rather than later.

The feeling of these in my opinion is way better than the original Dunlops that my bike came with. I much prefer the rounded shape which leads to smooth and easy tip in to corners. Grip has never been an issue either on dry or wet. They will hold in corners way past when everything else is scraping on the bike.

Granted, they have been around for a long time now, and the Bridgestone Battlax T31 and T30 evo are newer designs. I think that the Dunlop Roadsmart III come in our sizes as well, but I have not had a chance to try any of these. For me, the Metzelers are perfectly matched for the CB.
I was very happy with the Dunlop RdSmartIII, OEM/110 size in front...close to wear bar at 34K kms...waiting for Metz Z8 in OEM sizes
 
How many miles do you have on your bike PB? You had to go thru the original tires before getting to the Roadsmarts and if you put 34K kms (21,000 miles) on the Roadsmarts, you have to be nearing 48,000 kms (30,000 miles) on your CB. Very good!
 
The ferret_imp said:
How many miles do you have on your bike PB? You had to go thru the original tires before getting to the Roadsmarts and if you put 34K kms (21,000 miles) on the Roadsmarts, you have to be nearing 48,000 kms (30,000 miles) on your CB. Very good!
Ferret, here it is:

2013 - made about 56K kms (-4K kms, bought it as a demo).
At about 20K kms, replaced OEM BT54 with PR3-120/160 and when selling my bike at 56K kms, still plenty of the tread left, especially the rear tire.

2014 - bought used at 17K kms with OEM BT54 and the front tire was toasted, unlike the rear plenty of the tread left.....
Replaced front/110 with the Dunlop RdSmart III and rear/160 with the Michelin PR3s - no complaints at all.
Now at about 55K kms, front has 6K kms and rear 10-15 K kms left, so I made on this set about 38K kms - no complaints.
I never run my tires down to the wear bar indicator...usually 4/32 left prior replacement

Now ordered Metz Z8 OEM size 110-140 and waiting for replacement/June 02.

Conditions; bike's tires are ran +2 psi higher than the specs, no commuting, no city rides, no gravel/hardened rds, shortest ride is 70 kms, 95% asphalt, 5% concrete, one rider, garage parked.
 
Thanks Mr P. I'll look at them for my next set of tyres. I've good memories of Avons from my youth when they were the go to tyre.
 
I was always disappointed with Dunlop for abandoning the oem tire. now I find out they did the same thing on nc750x! that's right! Dunlop, you disgust me!
 
jimgl3_imp said:
I was always disappointed with Dunlop for abandoning the oem tire. now I find out they did the same thing on nc750x! that's right! Dunlop, you disgust me!
The Dunlop Trailmax Mission OEM tire for the NC750X wasn't really a good tire. So little lost, me think.
 
Ok… I put new Metzler Z8’s on the CB today. See below…. It’s interesting how they don’t have mold needles… they obviously are built a bit differently.

The new front.

75c510f64668e7c98899692eb3fd3c66.jpg


The new rear.

654c5b9a93a5bd84c06fdfd71cdb4692.jpg


The tread pattern is a bit different than the stock tires below. But the size is the same and the uneven wear of the front tire made me decide to replace them as a set. The rears don’t really look that bad. But the age (7 years+) and I can see a bit of dry rot starting to set in, so the time is right. 7200 miles. We’ll see how the new ones look at 14000 miles… some day.

The old front tire.

8091ef7793f4043dd267dd29ca4661f8.jpg


The old rear…

441a4b9018d3add51d4ad1de566cd6db.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top