The true beauty of this motorcycle. (another LONG read)

Mickey looks a bit like Jack Nicholson too.

pdedse, brilliant! :rofl:

VLJ, while the CB1100 is, in my view, plenty fast enough, I suspect the question for you will be ‘does it get there fast enough’?

Geez I wish Sunday would arrive.
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
Okay, now that I've learned what RLETs are, will someone here explain their purpose?

I mean, seriously, condoms for brake and clutch levers? Are we afraid of catching something from some harlot Harley or pulchritudinous PC800, or what?
No problem. For most that choose to sport them, RLETs serve as a visual indicator of the particular era when they came of age as motorcyclists. To this group of riders, the appeal of RLETs is not all that different than the appeal of the CB1100 itself.

Side note: If you refer to Wikipedia to learn more about Motorcycling you will find that the image chose to represent "A Motorcyclist" is in fact [url=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Motor_Cycle_EB.jpg]a photo of a guy riding a Honda CB (a CB550 in this case). That CB, of course, features RLETs. So there you have it — an authentic motorcyclist is someone who rides a CB that features RLETs (according my interpretation of Wikipedia anyway, lol).

Of course, RLETs do serve a more down to earth purpose as well, such as when you accidentally rub the end of your clutch or brake lever up against something like the painted surface of another vehicle when moving the bike around in the garage for example.
 
Thread starter
My post that appeared here in response to pdedse's earlier post made no sense after pdedse deleted his post*, so I've removed my post as well.

*As opposed to my other posts that make no sense and remain intact.
 
Plus there are unconfirmed rumors that, due to the RLET's ability to reduce aerodynamic adhesion as compared to the unadorned lever end, you can easily bump up against the rev limiter in 5th gear.
 
Plus, if you don’t have RLETS, Ferret will not show you the secret handshake and an angel doesn’t get wings.
 
No biggie. All I have to do to get mickey to show me the secret handshake is say something nice about #26. Probably just showing him the replay of Valencia 2017 will do.
 
Sorry, You went to the dark side with Lord Redbirds. I understand, powerful is the dark side.

No RLETS, no handshake. :)
 
Thread starter
By the time that VLJ really became aware of motorcycles as he put it, I think that RLETs had sort of almost run their course. Now if Honda had chosen to take a different path with the CB1100 (such as the CB1100 with the F kit featured in the video below), maybe there would be far less conversation regarding RLETs around here?


 
VLJ_imp said:
No biggie. All I have to do to get mickey to show me the secret handshake is say something nice about #26. Probably just showing him the replay of Valencia 2017 will do.
That might get you "A" handshake, but calling RLETs condoms and ghetto decorations will not...can not... be overlooked. Proper CB's, by heritage, are supposed to have 95010-16001x2. Anything else is just un-natural.
 
Ah, well, VLJ, the outcome of Sunday's experiment is now almost certain.
 
Huh? Why? Until yesterday I didn't even know what those things were, or that they're part of CB lore. They certainly have zero effect on my opinion of the bike, and I doubt that his black '14 Standard has 'em anyway.
 
I really like that CB1100F kit and it looks even better moving.
as far as RLETS I like them on my bike as it is classic looking but remember before them it was a clear plastic coating and very durable . my late CB160 still had the originals when it found love elsewhere .
I have seen her twice since she went to live with another man just down the road :(
 
Thread starter
VLJ, the continued ribbing you are receiving over the bits of rubber known as RLETs* is a sure sign that you are now considered "one of the regulars" around here, regardless of the outcome of your Sunday riding experience.

* Not to take away from the mystique that these little bits of rubber have around here, but they are probably the closest thing that this forum has to an inside joke, or a secret handshake if you will. Wait, I'm supposed to say that the only more hallowed purpose that a rubber tree could give of itself for, other than to become part of the tires upon which we ride, is to become the little Rubber End Lever Thingies that we mount upon our CBs hand control levers.

As to the condom comment... It should be obvious that it is asking a lot of a CB rider, confident of their manliness as they may be, to associate anything involving the phrase "little rubber" with their own personal use of said device. :D
 
VLJ_imp said:
Huh? Why? Until yesterday I didn't even know what those things were, or that they're part of CB lore. They certainly have zero effect on my opinion of the bike, and I doubt that his black '14 Standard has 'em anyway.
It appears that the Honda Mountain of education before you is steep grasshopper. I can see why you don't understand why the CB 1100 was built as it was, and not built as you wish it were.
 
You guys probably remember Schwinn's version of the RLET with those glitter plastic lever covers for your Sting Ray, in colors to match the bike. In fact, Schwinn came close to matching Harley-Davidson in the amount of accessories available for the Sting Ray. Have you ever seen the TRC? (tennis racket carrier)

Long way of saying I'm familiar with the concept and application of RLETs. I'm a Kansas farm boy, transplanted down here in Albuquerque, where we have a heavy Spanish influence. My Kansas drawl often draws accusing looks from people who confuse it with a Texas accent. So I'm often confused on how to pronounce words correctly.;) I do have one question though: what is the forum's correct pronunciation of RLET? Do we say R-L-E-T? Or AR-LET?

I would hate to show up at a Rally and commit a serious infraction of The Code, or worse yet, a faux pas by pronouncing it wrong! :blush:
 
Back
Top