The true beauty of this motorcycle. (another LONG read)

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The thread on "how dealers lose the sale" located elsewhere on this forum has proven to be rather entertaining in my opinion. We've found ourselves going back and forth a bit about whether or not the "N" (for Neutral) lights up on the gear indicator display. Well guys, in my mind a gear indicator is just one more thing that isn't really needed and almost out of place on a retro motorcycle. Nice to have? You guys tell me — I've actually never had one*. I guess that I've never needed such a thing. How big of a deal could the "N" not lighting up like the rest of the numbers really be? That answer is pretty obvious, not a big deal at all. Honda only added this sort of thing later on to appease people who had grown accustomed to such conveniences on other bikes they've owned. Which led me back to thinking about the true beauty of the CB1100 and why I'm grateful to Honda for creating it.

I have to laugh just a bit at a gear indicator discussion. I know that no one really thinks that how the the "N" is displayed is a big deal. But let me be clear, I'm not laughing at the guys discussing such matters. I'm laughing more at the thought of how nice is it to own this motorcycle (or any vehicle for that matter) where we end up focusing on something like how neutral is indicated on our bikes with so little else to go on about. :rofl: That might be true of many Hondas, or many modern motorcycles in general (I've heard many people hear say things to the effect that they just don't make a bad motorcycle any more). But when you stop to think about what kind of motorcycle the CB1100 is perhaps this thought is just a bit more significant. That's not meant to make light of some of the other problems that some people have actually experienced with this bike. Ironically, I alone have probably experienced a total of more problems/issues with my CB1100 than any other person on this forum (just read through the entirety of my LONG post). And I know that we've already covered that it's nice to have little to complain about many times over in the past. But when I stop to think about just what kind of motorcycle the CB1100 really is I start to realize the true significance of such thoughts. This got me thinking about the true beauty of this motorcycle. Ponder this with me for a moment if you care to do so (heck I'm surprised that you've read this far, lol).

Honda created this machine as a homage to it's own motorcycling heritage in general and to their CB line of motorcycles in particular. They went to great lengths to deliver to us a modern motorcycle that replicates as many of the qualities of their CB series of motorcycles from the past as possible. But the resulting bike also had to pass muster with regards to the regulations placed upon the motorcycles of today. Just think about what a huge undertaking that was. Just as motorcycles themselves have evolved over the years, so too have the skills and knowledge of the people working within the motorcycle industry. It's not just the bikes themselves that have changed.

Engineers working on rame designs have grown more accustomed to making use of a number of that weren't part of the makeup of the CBs of the past. Things that are at the the modern engineers disposal like aluminum spar frames, steel trellis frames , monoshock configurations and more are now all at the disposal of today's engineers for creation of nice handling motorcycles. Engine designers have long made use of water cooling for a variety of reasons. In many cases today, what appears to be the fuel tank of a motorcycle is actually something else. Now I realize that a all of these things have been around for quite some time and are no longer considered modern innovations. But that's exactly my point. Honda actually made the effort and found the right team of people to assemble a bike that made as much use of old-school design (not styling — not the way it looks, but the way it functions ) as possible. Sure they blended it with a significant amount of modern engineering prowess and there is plenty of modern technology that exists on the CB1100. Honda's engineers still had to deliver a certain level of safety and performance and they still had to ensure that the bike could pass modern regulatory standards. But when I stop to actually think about the great lengths that they went to in order to make the CB1100 a retro machine it still kind of blows my mind. From the all-new air-cooled mill, to the double downtube steel frame with the twin shocks in the back. This was a big step backwards for them. I could almost be convinced that they would have made this bike carbureted if they could have gotten away with it and found a way to still pass modern emission standards. Aside from the advanced technology at their disposal in terms of computing power, etc., I'm guessing that more than a few engineers at Honda felt like they were in a bit of a time-warp when designing this bike. There were probably a number of engineers and the like who worked on the CB1100 project that wouldn't even have been familiar with the CBs of the 60's and 70's if they didn't work at Honda. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who ponders these things. I know that Honda really wasn't concerned with marketing this bike, and I came to grips with that long ago. While I love the end result of all of their efforts: the CB1100 itself. The story that I wish Honda did a better job of telling is the story of the effort they went to to provide us with this bike.

I know that many of us poured over these types of thoughts when the CB1100 was first released. Things like how Honda even spec'ed out tires of a certain cross profile to match up perfectly with the 18" wheels for the overall type of experience that they wanted to provide the rider with. But I think a lot of people have lost sight of this sort of thing over time. Not people on this forum, but folks elsewhere in the motorcycling world. I feel that the guys who are wanting to compare the CB1100 directly with something like the Kawasaki Z900RS really don't understand the true beauty of the CB1100. Nor do they understand the intentions Honda had for this bike to begin with. It's a bit of a shame that so many people have lost sight of this story (of course many of them were probably never aware of this story to begin with). If someone realizes all of this and they just don't care, that's actually fine by me as that's a different matter. I'm not one of those guys however and every once in a while I'm happy to be reminded of what a beautiful and meaningful motorcycle the CB1100 truly is. All of which has nothing to do with the actual styling of the bike which I also happen to think is a thing of beauty as well. I still remain grateful that Honda went to the lengths that they did in order to provide us with a bit of their past wrapped up in a machine that is still available to many of us today.

Alright then, enough of my rambling. I'll now return you all to our regularly scheduled programming. And if you've read this far, I might just have to think about re-issuing the CB1100 Forum decoder rings once again (sorry popgun) as they might be needed just to help people navigate their way through my incredibly lengthy posts. I never start out with the intentions of carrying on for so long. I'm proud to own a motorcycle that still brings so many positive thought to mind for me.


*Now that I think about it, in all of the years since I've owned my license to ride/drive, the only illuminated gear indicator of any sort in/on any of my vehicles has been of the "PRNDL" variety that currently resides in my Tundra truck. Every other vehicle that I've ever owned has been a manual gearbox of some sort and none of them have had gear indicators of any sort. The lone exception was my old 1967 Camaro Convertible — it had an automatic transmission, but even it didn't have any sort of indicator on the instrument cluster. Man, the CB1100 is cool being retro and all, but I guess that I'm truly an antique.
 
First time I ever had to put my finger on my computer screen so as not to lose my place while reading.

and of course you are right and it makes perfect sense .... once you get thru it :rofl:

Nice writin' boss!
 
The ferret_imp said:
First time I ever had to put my finger on my computer screen so as not to lose my place while reading.

and of course you are right and it makes perfect sense .... once you get thru it :rofl:

Nice writin' boss!
All in good fun, Guth!:D

Bob

PS speaking of gear indicators, I'd rather have one on the bike than not. But it wouldn't be a deal-breaker if it didn't come with one.
The ferret_imp said:
First time I ever had to put my finger on my computer screen so as not to lose my place while reading.

and of course you are right and it makes perfect sense .... once you get thru it :rofl:

Nice writin' boss!
All in good fun, Guth!:D

Bob

PS speaking of gear indicators, I'd rather have one on the bike than not. But it wouldn't be a deal-breaker if it didn't come with one.
 
The beauty is in the process, not necessarily in the output. I think that's what you're driving at. Of course, you also contend that the output ain't too shabby either. I agree wholeheartedly.
 
Great Read and very well put Guth. I remember when cars had low and high gear but i had a bike with 3 speeds = Yo.... then it was 4 and i also had a 4 speed mustang A 1969 Mach 1 351 mind you!
your post made my mind race back to my childhood Bridgestone 100 with a rotary transmission.
it was down for 1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4th then down for natural , then down for 1st and actually i do not recall ever up shifting at all ! no indicator needed just keep pressing down.
but then 5 speeds came along and i wondered why as it complicated things ? over drive i guess so i was good with that. now it seems people need a display to tell them what gear they are in when it come natural to me.
besides I am so good looking on a fine looking bike if i go fast how is everyone going to see me ?
 
LOL, a perfect opening to resurrect this thread...

"In Defense of the CB1100"

And to link once again to this article...

[url=http://world.honda.com/design/designers-talk/cb1100/]Honda Designer's Talk: CB1100



Weird how that pencil illustration (in the linked article) looks much like the new Royal Enfield twins, huh?

And "right on", by the way.
Guth_imp said:
The thread on "how dealers lose the sale" located elsewhere on this forum has proven to be rather entertaining in my opinion. We've found ourselves going back and forth a bit about whether or not the "N" (for Neutral) lights up on the gear indicator display. Well guys, in my mind a gear indicator is just one more thing that isn't really needed and almost out of place on a retro motorcycle. Nice to have? You guys tell me — I've actually never had one*. I guess that I've never needed such a thing. How big of a deal could the "N" not lighting up like the rest of the numbers really be? That answer is pretty obvious, not a big deal at all. Honda only added this sort of thing later on to appease people who had grown accustomed to such conveniences on other bikes they've owned. Which led me back to thinking about the true beauty of the CB1100 and why I'm grateful to Honda for creating it.

I have to laugh just a bit at a gear indicator discussion. I know that no one really thinks that how the the "N" is displayed is a big deal. But let me be clear, I'm not laughing at the guys discussing such matters. I'm laughing more at the thought of how nice is it to own this motorcycle (or any vehicle for that matter) where we end up focusing on something like how neutral is indicated on our bikes with so little else to go on about. :rofl: That might be true of many Hondas, or many modern motorcycles in general (I've heard many people hear say things to the effect that they just don't make a bad motorcycle any more). But when you stop to think about what kind of motorcycle the CB1100 is perhaps this thought is just a bit more significant. That's not meant to make light of some of the other problems that some people have actually experienced with this bike. Ironically, I alone have probably experienced a total of more problems/issues with my CB1100 than any other person on this forum (just read through the entirety of my [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11859]LONG post). And I know that we've already covered that it's nice to have little to complain about many times over in the past. But when I stop to think about just what kind of motorcycle the CB1100 really is I start to realize the true significance of such thoughts. This got me thinking about the true beauty of this motorcycle. Ponder this with me for a moment if you care to do so (heck I'm surprised that you've read this far, lol).

Honda created this machine as a homage to it's own motorcycling heritage in general and to their CB line of motorcycles in particular. They went to great lengths to deliver to us a modern motorcycle that replicates as many of the qualities of their CB series of motorcycles from the past as possible. But the resulting bike also had to pass muster with regards to the regulations placed upon the motorcycles of today. Just think about what a huge undertaking that was. Just as motorcycles themselves have evolved over the years, so too have the skills and knowledge of the people working within the motorcycle industry. It's not just the bikes themselves that have changed.

Engineers working on rame designs have grown more accustomed to making use of a number of that weren't part of the makeup of the CBs of the past. Things that are at the the modern engineers disposal like aluminum spar frames, steel trellis frames , monoshock configurations and more are now all at the disposal of today's engineers for creation of nice handling motorcycles. Engine designers have long made use of water cooling for a variety of reasons. In many cases today, what appears to be the fuel tank of a motorcycle is actually something else. Now I realize that a all of these things have been around for quite some time and are no longer considered modern innovations. But that's exactly my point. Honda actually made the effort and found the right team of people to assemble a bike that made as much use of old-school design (not styling — not the way it looks, but the way it functions ) as possible. Sure they blended it with a significant amount of modern engineering prowess and there is plenty of modern technology that exists on the CB1100. Honda's engineers still had to deliver a certain level of safety and performance and they still had to ensure that the bike could pass modern regulatory standards. But when I stop to actually think about the great lengths that they went to in order to make the CB1100 a retro machine it still kind of blows my mind. From the all-new air-cooled mill, to the double downtube steel frame with the twin shocks in the back. This was a big step backwards for them. I could almost be convinced that they would have made this bike carbureted if they could have gotten away with it and found a way to still pass modern emission standards. Aside from the advanced technology at their disposal in terms of computing power, etc., I'm guessing that more than a few engineers at Honda felt like they were in a bit of a time-warp when designing this bike. There were probably a number of engineers and the like who worked on the CB1100 project that wouldn't even have been familiar with the CBs of the 60's and 70's if they didn't work at Honda. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who ponders these things. I know that Honda really wasn't concerned with marketing this bike, and I came to grips with that long ago. While I love the end result of all of their efforts: the CB1100 itself. The story that I wish Honda did a better job of telling is the story of the effort they went to to provide us with this bike.

I know that many of us poured over these types of thoughts when the CB1100 was first released. Things like how Honda even spec'ed out tires of a certain cross profile to match up perfectly with the 18" wheels for the overall type of experience that they wanted to provide the rider with. But I think a lot of people have lost sight of this sort of thing over time. Not people on this forum, but folks elsewhere in the motorcycling world. I feel that the guys who are wanting to compare the CB1100 directly with something like the Kawasaki Z900RS really don't understand the true beauty of the CB1100. Nor do they understand the intentions Honda had for this bike to begin with. It's a bit of a shame that so many people have lost sight of this story (of course many of them were probably never aware of this story to begin with). If someone realizes all of this and they just don't care, that's actually fine by me as that's a different matter. I'm not one of those guys however and every once in a while I'm happy to be reminded of what a beautiful and meaningful motorcycle the CB1100 truly is. All of which has nothing to do with the actual styling of the bike which I also happen to think is a thing of beauty as well. I still remain grateful that Honda went to the lengths that they did in order to provide us with a bit of their past wrapped up in a machine that is still available to many of us today.

Alright then, enough of my rambling. I'll now return you all to our regularly scheduled programming. And if you've read this far, I might just have to think about re-issuing the CB1100 Forum decoder rings once again (sorry popgun) as they might be needed just to help people navigate their way through my incredibly lengthy posts. I never start out with the intentions of carrying on for so long. I'm proud to own a motorcycle that still brings so many positive thought to mind for me.


*Now that I think about it, in all of the years since I've owned my license to ride/drive, the only illuminated gear indicator of any sort in/on any of my vehicles has been of the "PRNDL" variety that currently resides in my Tundra truck. Every other vehicle that I've ever owned has been a manual gearbox of some sort and none of them have had gear indicators of any sort. The lone exception was my old 1967 Camaro Convertible — it had an automatic transmission, but even it didn't have any sort of indicator on the instrument cluster. Man, the CB1100 is cool being retro and all, but I guess that I'm truly an antique.
I agree. I own the Z900R, which "is what it is" (a very homely super naked), but have zero interest in owning a Z900RS.

Now, if they was to bring the "Cafe" version around...mebbe.

 
use2b_imp said:
Great Read and very well put Guth. I remember when cars had low and high gear but i had a bike with 3 speeds = Yo.... then it was 4 and i also had a 4 speed mustang A 1969 Mach 1 351 mind you!
your post made my mind race back to my childhood Bridgestone 100 with a rotary transmission.
it was down for 1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4th then down for natural , then down for 1st and actually i do not recall ever up shifting at all ! no indicator needed just keep pressing down.
but then 5 speeds came along and i wondered why as it complicated things ? over drive i guess so i was good with that. now it seems people need a display to tell them what gear they are in when it come natural to me.
besides I am so good looking on a fine looking bike if i go fast how is everyone going to see me ?
A shift indicator would have been nice back when these bikes were being sold in the US in the 60s
My first bike was a Bridgestone 50 with same 4 speed rotary drum transmission.
It only took me one time of shifting from 4th to 1st at 40 mph to learn a lesson I never forgot
 
Guth, great prose. I agree with your perspective.

I would like to submit, however, that if your '13 did have a gear indicator, you too may secretly wonder why it didn't have an "N" for neutral. I'm the one who brought this up in the other thread and believe I characterized it as merely a "minor quibble" or some such trivial curiosity, nothing else. Appears it made good fodder for a winter-time discussion. I guess my other minor quibble, the horn button location, didn't gain as much traction. In all seriousness, I am surprised the industry hasn't yet agreed (or hasn't yet been mandated) to standardize motorcycle hand controls, from a safety aspect. Ar least shift levers are all on the left side now.
 
Thread starter
Don't get me wrong, I have little doubt that I would find a gear indicator to be a nice convenience. But if I had my way I would have eliminated any sort of digital display (with the exception of the odometer/trip meter) and stuck with just a speedometer, tachometer and fuel gauge along with a few of the multi-colored dummy lights like they had on the CBs back in the 70s — I just love a clean, classic look. But I suppose that I do glance at the little clock once in a while if I'm being totally honest, lol
 
I agree that while I don't need a gear indicator, I prefer having one. In terms of the 'N' indicator, in no way is it necessary; again, it's just a preference thing, as the display looks better when something fills the large space normally occupied by a number, as it does on the new Z900 and Z900RS, and my old BMW. I just don't like seeing the large blank space there.

As to the rest of Guth's post, I prefer those longer missives. One-sentence blurbs don't get me fired up. I want someone to vent their spleen, or rain down hosannas from the mountaintop.

Passion. I love the passion for this motorcycle by those who truly know, and Guth's longer posts are great examples of this passion. A large part of why I want a CB1100 has to do with the obsessive engineering that went into its creation. I don't necessarily agree with all of the decisions Honda made for this motorcycle—namely, going way overboard in limiting the engine's output, and artificially capping the rpm much too early in the top gears—but I've come to realize that these things won't really affect my real-world enjoyment of the bike, once I get used to it. What will affect my enjoyment of the motorcycle is the obvious passion that drove Honda to sweat every last detail of the project.

That level of joyous passion sticks. It's obvious, and it matters.
 
Maybe it's just me but, as I've aged I find it reassuring to have a indicator to confirm my suspicions as to what great I am in. I tend to loose track more often as the years advance. Even when it is neutral. I love everything about the bikes retro/modern meld including gear and neutral indicators.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
I agree that while I don't need a gear indicator, I prefer having one. In terms of the 'N' indicator, in no way is it necessary; again, it's just a preference thing, as the display looks better when something fills the large space normally occupied by a number, as it does on the new Z900 and Z900RS, and my old BMW. I just don't like seeing the large blank space there.

As to the rest of Guth's post, I prefer those longer missives. One-sentence blurbs don't get me fired up. I want someone to vent their spleen, or rain down hosannas from the mountaintop.

Passion. I love the passion for this motorcycle by those who truly know, and Guth's longer posts are great examples of this passion. A large part of why I want a CB1100 has to do with the obsessive engineering that went into its creation. I don't necessarily agree with all of the decisions Honda made for this motorcycle—namely, going way overboard in limiting the engine's output, and artificially capping the rpm much too early in the top gears—but I've come to realize that these things won't really affect my real-world enjoyment of the bike, once I get used to it. What will affect my enjoyment of the motorcycle is the obvious passion that drove Honda to sweat every last detail of the project.

That level of joyous passion sticks. It's obvious, and it matters.
Thanks VLJ — I can understand where you're coming from. I do tend to go on a bit at times — it tends to happen that way with things that I care about. I don't necessarily expect people to agree with me and I welcome an open dialogue (which I think is one of the great strengths of this forum). I just want to let people know how I feel about things sometimes.

The passion for this bike is certainly real. I'd never thought about starting a forum until the CB1100 came along. A few years back, a bunch of us were participating in a very lengthy discussion by way of a thread (currently at more than 245 pages and 4,900 posts!) about the CB1100 over on the ADVrider forum. I'm a disgrace as far as ADV credentials go, but that thread came up for me in a search back before the bike was actually released here in North America. So I joined the site, joined the conversation and I must admit that I really enjoyed myself. That was the single best resource for CB1100 info at the time. (I had searched many times, but no one had yet started a forum dedicated to the CB1100.)

I started to grow concerned that people's interest in that particular thread would eventually die out and I didn't want to see the conversation end. So I registered the domain for this place and started researching what I needed to do to get a forum up and running. My biggest fear was that no one from the ADVrider forum would want to join a CB1100 specific forum. To this day, I remain incredibly relieved that my fears were not realized. I you look at the first few pages of the member list for this forum, it almost reads like a who's who from that sing ADVrider thread, lol. You guys know who you are — maybe some of you will chime in on this conversation with memories of your own from back in the days when we were still waiting for this incredible machine to arrive. I remain incredibly grateful that Honda saw fit to bring the CB1100 here to North America. I ended up not only with a great bike also with a great bunch of guys that I enjoy conversing with as a result. I'm still amazed at the sheer amount of motorcycle-related knowledge the members of this forum have. Most guys around here know far more about motorcycles/motorcycling than I do. Good stuff!
 
Guth, even tho' I've sold my CB1100, I can't help coming back to this forum. I've been on several KLR forums, a few Sportster ones, trying to break the ice at one of the Triumph forums...but I really like the way this one works. Friendly people, good topics both mechanical and just "shootin' the breeze". It's still a highlight of my day to check in and see what folks have to say about bikes. Glad you made the effort to start this forum!
 
Thread starter
Thanks pdedse! I'm glad that you're sticking around. Hopefully I can get a chance to check out the new Triumph some time — maybe let me know if you're planning another day ride over to Astoria this summer.
 
Can't add much to what's been said so far, but I am very much enjoying reading about the development and relative purity of the CB1100 design. It's refreshing to hear about something other than engine mods for more power and the latest chrome add-on (even though I do have Harleys and read the H-D forums).

This forum also seems much less contentious than others I read.

Think I gotta get me one of these bikes soon!
 
Thanks for sharing, Guth. I always enjoy reading your thoughts.*

It's good to be reminded that the CB1100 appears to have about Honda realising it's own dream and not building something they they had a huge investment in selling large numbers of. At the same time it has attracted a following around the world, and continues to appeal to lots of people who would never buy one but take immense pleasure in approaching owners and saying something like 'I had one just like that back in the day'.

So, it's not only us. Its given lots of other people a vicarious pleasure. Mine went for a shortish ride this morning. I still get a kick out of riding it.

* Moderator crawls for 10% pay rise, certain he will get it instantly. Why? That's right. You guessed it.

0 x 10% =
 
The ADV thread pre CB1100 forum is where I met Guth and old F7guy (rip) and Inline4 aka plungerhead and popgun. Guth started this forum about 6 am and 3 hours later a bunch of us from the ADV thread were suddenly here discussing the CB1100 lol. I picked up my 2013 CB on March 29 and joined this forum on April 14. At least 3 of the first 10 members of the forum that joined 5 years ago are still active on the forum daily.
 
Ferret, I could never get signed up on ADV and could not find a way to contact a moderator that could help. I think we met either here, or on the old UK CB board, although I most likely saw posts by you on ADV.
 
I like your take on the bike Guth. Honda engineers went out of their way to "build" old tech into a bike. Where most manufacturers embrace the latest and greatest (Honda included) on just about everything made now it is refreshing to "feel" what seems to be a time machine. Air cooling is a must for me, I love the carbs on my Triumph, never had a mono shock or gear indicator for that matter...don't want it. Don't want ride modes, ABS, ride by wire. You can keep it all. I'm very much looking forward to finishing my RD 350 for another blast of low tech. To me these are bikes. Even with the FI on the CB it still feels (and looks) like a bike should in my opinion. The Janus Phoenix 250 in the "other bike" thread has piqued my interest as well (dang it).

We all ride what we want and we all want different things but I for one am a less is more kinda guy. The CB, in all of it's modern trimmings, still scratches that itch for me. And, like you Guth, am very happy they made this time machine the way they did.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ferret, I could never get signed up on ADV and could not find a way to contact a moderator that could help. I think we met either here, or on the old UK CB board, although I most likely saw posts by you on ADV.
Must have been here then popgun. We both had the same sign up date less than 2 hours apart on the first day this forum started. Hard to believe it's coming up on 5 years now.

The UK board started after this one and died a relatively quick and painful death with little interest.

Once this forum got up and running I never went back to the ADV board. This is home.
 
Back
Top