Scoobynut_imp
Been there
Thread starter
Tripod, I put about 500 miles on my Staintune equipped bike this weekend. However, I always wear ear plugs on the highway unless I know I won't be at highway speeds for very long. I could still hear the Staintune with the plugs in, but it wasn't much louder than the wind noise or whooshing sound you still hear with ear plugs in. I could see the exhaust being a little wearing on a longer trip without ear plugs, but then again the wind noise to the helmet would be much louder, so I'm honestly not sure what it would be like on a longer trip without ear protection. I have taken the bike on shorter highway jaunts without ear plugs and didn't mind the exhaust sound, but then again, that was maybe 10 miles or so at 55-60 mph.Tripod_imp said:Has anyone ridden with the Staintune at highway speeds for some distance? Any droning? That to me is one of the downsides to aftermarket exhaust, the dreaded droning...
In any case, in my opinion you are crazy to take longer trips without hearing protection, so the exhaust is plenty quiet with the ear plugs in, more like a background sound than a drone.
As an aside, the worst part of the trip was that I had a 40 mph headwind on most of the way up, and a 30 mph headwind on the way back (the wind shifted by the time I rode back). It was just brutal. I did get a hell of an upper body workout, however. :dodgy: Never again without some kind of wind screen, that's for sure!
:excited::excited:
Being able to liston to stock and then Staintune really shows the difference better that the verbal descriptions. I can't swing the $830 right now, but I sure like the Staintune a lot. :exclamation: