Staintune Exhaust

Thread starter
darmahman_imp said:
Just ordered one from the BMW dealer in Sturgis. $899 delivered. 3 to 6 week wait. I love Staintune products.
Man, those guys at Sturgis BMW should be paying me commissions by now! I've got about 300 miles on my Staintune now and I like it more every time I ride the bike. It's addictive. I have to say I ride the bike to hear the Staintune as much as to just ride the bike -- I like it that much.

Looking forward to your impressions when you get yours, Darmahman.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?
Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.
Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.
I found this, about the PGM Fi adapting to different conditions..
http://powersports.honda.com/experience/articles/090111c0812182ba.aspx
 
wildezt_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?
Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.
Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.
I found this, about the PGM Fi adapting to different conditions..
http://powersports.honda.com/experience/articles/090111c0812182ba.aspx
I found this, about the PGM Fi adapting to different conditions..
http://powersports.honda.com/experience/articles/090111c0812182ba.aspx
Right, it adapts to atmospheric conditions but it does not adapt to changes in intake or exhaust flow.
It would take a real time fully closed loop system with wide band o2 sensors in every header for that.
I don't think the fueling is optimized as it is, even stock. That is why systems like bazazz and powercommander exist.

If the bike runs OK after the installation of an exhaust system its because the nature of a four cylinder runs fairly smooth under a wide variety of conditions.
Mapping would still maximize your engine's output and efficiency.
 
Thread starter
Flynbulldog_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Pretty. Look a lot like the stock pipe. I like that. What did you find about setting up the bike for the pipe, tuning wise? Did you weigh it?
Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.
Agreed, I liked that it suited the look and character of the bike, unlike some of the other slip-ons I've seen. As far as tuning, I can't imagine anything else will need to be done to the bike as the ECU will in short order learn new operating parameters for the exhaust. I don't know of any instances where adding a slip-on to a modern, fuel-injected bike requires any remapping of the ECU. A full exhaust may be another story.

Nope, haven't weighed it yet -- I don't own any kind of scale -- but it does feel lighter than appearances would suggest. I'm guessing around 8 lbs. It will be interesting to see how heavy the stock muffler is once I remove it.
I found this, about the PGM Fi adapting to different conditions..
http://powersports.honda.com/experience/articles/090111c0812182ba.aspx
I found this, about the PGM Fi adapting to different conditions..
http://powersports.honda.com/experience/articles/090111c0812182ba.aspx
Right, it adapts to atmospheric conditions but it does not adapt to changes in intake or exhaust flow.
It would take a real time fully closed loop system with wide band o2 sensors in every header for that.
I don't think the fueling is optimized as it is, even stock. That is why systems like bazazz and powercommander exist.

If the bike runs OK after the installation of an exhaust system its because the nature of a four cylinder runs fairly smooth under a wide variety of conditions.
Mapping would still maximize your engine's output and efficiency.
Flynbulldog, I did a little reading about PGM-FI for bikes and yes, you are correct -- and I was incorrect -- about the FI (not) adapting to changes in intake or exhaust flow.
The Staintune, in conjuction with leaving the catalyst and O2 sensor in place, is probably a minor enough change that it doesn't upset how the bike runs. I haven't noticed a single difference in how it runs from stock. So far I've put about equal miles on the bike with the stock muffler -vs.- the Staintune.

No doubt mapping would yield some nice benefits, but as far as a modern engine tuned for efficiency and low emissions, the CB's fueling is quite good stock, better than most in my opinion. It's good enough for me that I will probably not change the mapping.
 
I am excited to see what thumper has to say about his bike's results. A Bazazz is something else I am thinking about adding after the Staintune exhaust.
 
Gentlemen,

What a great thread. This is why I joined this Forum. Good info and photos. I would not have known anything about Staintune or this muffler without seeing it here. This is exactly what I'm looking for for my new CB. I'm ordering today. Thanks.

Chip Beck
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

What a great thread. This is why I joined this Forum. Good info and photos. I would not have known anything about Staintune or this muffler without seeing it here. This is exactly what I'm looking for for my new CB. I'm ordering today. Thanks.

Chip Beck
Chip, glad we could supply the info to you; as you've already discovered, this forum has lots of good information about this new Honda which we otherwise would have to learn slowly on our own without it. The UK CB1100 forum is also a good source of information -- I read up on the rear rack over there before I installed mine, which did save a little head-scratching, not to mention saved scratching my rear turn signals too!
 
Got a call from Sturgis earlier, my staintune is in the US!!!!
They should receive it in a few days and I can expect it at my door in a little over a week. So hopefully next Friday in time to install it over the weekend :D.....or Monday and I'll have to wait for the next weekend. :(

Can't wait!!!
 
Thread starter
redReno_imp said:
Got a call from Sturgis earlier, my staintune is in the US!!!!
They should receive it in a few days and I can expect it at my door in a little over a week. So hopefully next Friday in time to install it over the weekend :D.....or Monday and I'll have to wait for the next weekend. :(

Can't wait!!!
Woohoo! Red Reno, that's great news. Can't wait to hear what you say after you hear it in person! Keep us posted...
 
While the pipes available so for for the CB1100 are definitely on the expensive side I am open to laying out the money for the Staintune systems.
I had a Staintune exhaust system on my BMW K75S for a number of years and it performed well and was a solid, quality system. The BMW brick motors were notorious for NOT responding well to aftermarket accessories but the Staintune did give a bit more power and improved the sound.
Based on my experience with their pipes I doubt anyone will be disappointed.
 
Buffalorider,

Jumping off topic here, but, what do they them mean when they talk about BMW oil head engines?
 
They refer to the later design Boxer motors as Oil Heads. I do not recall exactly what year they made the change but the head design used oil flow to really help control head temps. My K75 was one of the "Flying Brick" flat inline water cooled designs. A good machine but thy were not really embraced by the BMW base.
 
Placed my order with Pirate's Lair (http://pirateslair.net/Staintuneall.htm).

Current price is $830.00 including shipping (for me all the way to Hawaii), I guess the price could change due to AUS/US dollar foreign exchange rates.

Aloha,
Huladog
Buffalorider_imp said:
They refer to the later design Boxer motors as Oil Heads. I do not recall exactly what year they made the change but the head design used oil flow to really help control head temps. My K75 was one of the "Flying Brick" flat inline water cooled designs. A good machine but thy were not really embraced by the BMW base.
Check their forum, scroll down a bit to The Garage and you can see the topics for the different motors along with the model years.
BMW MOA

I used to ride a "Camhead" but the CB is a lot more fun!

Aloha,
Huladog
 
My Staintune came in yesterday and I installed it this morning.
The sound is superb and hearing it while I ride is awesome.
I can't wait for a chance to roll onto the freeway and see how it sounds at higher speeds.

When I have time I'll take a video of it and add it to youtube, I'll add the link to the forum.

Swapping them was easy, the only thing that perplexed me was one of the steps on Staintune's fitting instructions.

Step 5. Unclip the servo motor cable at the point it attaches underneath the bike, leaving the cable attached to the standard muffler.

It has a picture but it is hard to make out what is what with the quality and it being in black and white. It does look like something is connected to the stock exhaust though but there was nothing connected to my exhaust.
I didn't really worry about it and continued with the staintune, just wanted to mention this to see if Scoobynut and whoever else has already got theirs and installed it (I can't remember who it was but I know someone else on here has a staintune as well) noticed this step at all.

There really was nothing to it when it came to putting the new staintune on, just making sure to align the hole with the mounting bolts underneath the passenger pegs.


Riding around town a bit doesn't feel that different, torque wise, but the sound does make it a different experience. Hearing the exhaust get louder as I roll on the throttle :D
I think my heat guard is now in a different spot though, I don't remember my heel hitting it where it does now with the stock exhaust on, but I'm not complaining.
This slip on was worth every penny IMHO.

Like Scoobynut mentioned a few weeks ago, the chrome is REALLY nice and I like the appearance of the bike with a shorter/smaller exhaust.
 
Thread starter
They do sound great don't they? I have about 400 miles on mine now and believe it or not, it sounds even better now than when brand new -- I don't think it's just my imagination, anyways! The sound as you approach 7k rpm turns from throaty growl to racebike howl, but even then the sound volume doesn't really increase, it just changes in tone. I love it. Those of you who are worried that this thing is too loud are probably just a little gun shy remembering the Kerkers and Vance and Hines 4 into 1s of days gone by. It's just not like that IMO. Maybe redreno can comment on that too.

Reno, I believe that servo motor cable is to operate the flap in the exhaust opening that's on Japanese and Australian market bikes, so yeah, that part of the instructions is meaningless for the US bikes. I don't recall seeing that in my instructions, but maybe you got the Aussie version of the instructions.

Glad the install went well for you. I haven't noticed the heat shield touching my foot at all and it didn't seem to be in a different spot after mounting, but I can't be positive. It probably helps that I only wear size 10 shoes!

I checked the clamp down by the collector a couple of times after the install as it seemed to want to loosen a bit after my first few rides. That was probably down to me just not tightening it enough, but just to be sure I put of few drops of blue loctite on the clamp bolt threads and tightened it down a little more. It hasn't budged since then.
 
Thanks, I'll be sure to check the clamp, I didn't use any kind of grease or oil on anything :s

My NH750 had a Vance and Hines..... I wanna say the staintune is just as loud but eh, I have a terrible memory. Probably +/- but pretty close.
Definitely has a nicer badass tone then the V&H system.
 
Back
Top