Rubber Lever End Thingies

Ahhhhh things are right in the world again.
 
Thread starter
Thank you Inhouse Bob. And, yes, GO and Ferret, the disturbance in the Force has settled.
 
Thread starter
If that question was directed at me, GoldOxide, no. peterbaron is clearly disturbed. :P
 
Whoever posted to boil them in hot water first deserves a medal! A heckuva lot easier to put on, but they still have a mind of their own.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
mtneers_imp said:
Whoever posted to boil them in hot water first deserves a medal! A heckuva lot easier to put on, but they still have a mind of their own.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looks perfect, the Monkey too.

Think of all the parking lot shortcuts you can consider without damaging the cages. :D
 
Thread starter
Friends, you will recall that, after consultation and careful soul searching, I reported here that I had removed an RLET from a broken lever and installed it on the replacement. The general consensus, with which I agreed, was that it would restore order in the Force.

I shall now report on what happened next.

Some days later I was crossing New South Wales on my way home. Much to the relief of locals there had been some quite heavy falls of rain and, as I got further north, a gentle rain resumed. I don't mind riding in the rain and was quite enjoying riding along the Gap Road, not too far from a cup of tea and a fuel stop at Tamworth. As I rounded a sharpish left-hander which would take me under the rail line, I came face to face with a road totally covered with wet, black, Macquarie Plains mud. Macquarie Plains mud has, as someone told me later, all the friction of a wet cake of soap. Curiously, though, it is very, very sticky. Pirelli Angel GTs, while fine tyres, are not designed for off-road work. There's no need to ask me how I know; I'm about to tell you.

The inevitable happened: the CB1100 fishtailed a bit and then gave up the fight, depositing itself and its rider in the mud. See picture:

[url=https://postimg.cc/Y4x9hRn7]

I am happy to report that, other than dented pride, a bruise on my shoulder and shredded wet-weather gear, I'm fine. The CB1100 did not fare quite so well. It completed the trip to Tamworth on the back of a tow truck and was deposited at the local dealer. Next morning, a wonderful chap in the workshop applied an hour's effort to washing the mud off, straightening the bars, moving a rear foot peg forward and fixing an indicator light so I could complete my journey and have the bike properly fixed at home. It ran like a charm.

After the lengthy scene setting I'll get to the point. Given the proximity of swapping the RLET and crashing (by, the way, the said RLET sustained injury in the crash) I couldn't help wondering, as I rode home, whether swapping over an RLET from one lever to another was, in fact, a prudent thing to do.

As before, Forum, comrades, I will be interested in your views.
 
Heartbreak... that's my view!
That sleek, shining beast... that mileage-muncher... reduced to sitting by the roadside, dirty and forlorn.
Aawww... makes you want to pick it up, give it a cuddle and kiss it better!

But... THE most important thing is that YOU were not injured (except your pride).
Spills are part of motorcycling and you're lucky if you get away with just a dented, REPAIRABLE, 'bike. As some of the guys on here can testify, sometimes we're not so lucky. So, consider yourself lucky, C!
 
Glad to hear you are OK.
I know for sure, RLETs do not like swapping or to be installed as a single. If anything goes wrong with one, a pair of new RLETs has to be installed.... and this is why, in your situation, you were only lucky at 51% rate.
Source: RLET guru
:):P
 
well daggone it Cormanus. So glad you were not badly injured.
 
Youch. Yeah, we get to here from time-to-time. Glad to learn you are fine and humor intact. Nice to see the lump is undamaged regardless of no engine guards. That is quite swell.

- - -

Now for business ...

peterbaron_imp said:
Glad to hear you are OK.
I know for sure, RLETs do not like swapping or to be installed as a single. If anything goes wrong with one, a pair of new RLETs has to be installed.... and this is why, in your situation, you were only lucky at 51% rate.
Source: RLET guru
:):P
PB appears to be an expert on RLETs, and this is quite encouraging. Coming around is he, yeah-zz.

- - -

RLETs likely behave independently of road conditions. I suspect there may have been attempt to warn the owner to avoid the challenge, but ultimately their influence may have not been enough, regardless of left-right old-new pair-replaced or single-replaced polarity. Cormanus: You may have momentarily over-powered their influence. :-/
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Youch. Yeah, we get to here from time-to-time. Glad to learn you are fine and humor intact. Nice to see the lump is undamaged regardless of no engine guards. That is quite swell.

- - -

Now for business ...

peterbaron_imp said:
Glad to hear you are OK.
I know for sure, RLETs do not like swapping or to be installed as a single. If anything goes wrong with one, a pair of new RLETs has to be installed.... and this is why, in your situation, you were only lucky at 51% rate.
Source: RLET guru
:):P
PB appears to be an expert on RLETs, and this is quite encouraging. Coming around is he, yeah-zz.

- - -

RLETs likely behave independently of road conditions. I suspect there may have been attempt to warn the owner to avoid the challenge, but ultimately their influence may have not been enough, regardless of left-right old-new pair-replaced or single-replaced polarity. Cormanus: You may have momentarily over-powered their influence. :-/


Correct GO is. The reason this is (bad Yoda speak there ;)

Cormanus, I’m sure glad nothing really bad happened. Hope the bike gets well soon! :D :P
 
Back
Top