Rubber Lever End Thingies

GoldOxide_imp said:
... sumthin' unnatural 'bout heatin' 'em up in the microwave.
Well, one could set them in the sun, but here in Oregon that would mean waitin' till next July.
 
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
... sumthin' unnatural 'bout heatin' 'em up in the microwave.
Well, one could set them in the sun, but here in Oregon that would mean waitin' till next July.
Well, one could set them in the sun, but here in Oregon that would mean waitin' till next July.
I did consider putting them in a glass jar on my front porch and letting the 95 degree F Texas sun do the rest ... but that would involve waiting till tomorrow.
 
zbillster_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
... sumthin' unnatural 'bout heatin' 'em up in the microwave.
Well, one could set them in the sun, but here in Oregon that would mean waitin' till next July.
Well, one could set them in the sun, but here in Oregon that would mean waitin' till next July.
I did consider putting them in a glass jar on my front porch and letting the 95 degree F Texas sun do the rest ... but that would involve waiting till tomorrow.
I hate you. :P
 
pdedse_imp said:
zbillster_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
... sumthin' unnatural 'bout heatin' 'em up in the microwave.
Well, one could set them in the sun, but here in Oregon that would mean waitin' till next July.
Well, one could set them in the sun, but here in Oregon that would mean waitin' till next July.
I did consider putting them in a glass jar on my front porch and letting the 95 degree F Texas sun do the rest ... but that would involve waiting till tomorrow.
I hate you. :P
I hate you. :P
We're even. :rofl:
 
In some realms, this would be considered mutilation.

zbillster_imp said:
I do not like the Cone of Shame ... :(

efb989fb1255417e736c0f009e3f19bd.jpg
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
In some realms, this would be considered mutilation.

zbillster_imp said:
I do not like the Cone of Shame ... :(

efb989fb1255417e736c0f009e3f19bd.jpg
The mutilation is mostly to my PayPal wallet ... the going price for RLETs on eBay and elsewhere has doubled since this thread started in 2013. :(
zbillster_imp said:
e9a6c1456132d04443e21e00561f3c6b.jpg


Slight modification of your method:
1. Heated up in a bowl of water in microwave for 45 seconds or so
2. Used tongs to put on dry towel from microwave bowl
3. Quickly ... to the garage!!!
4. Held lever FIRMLY forward and stationary with left hand
5. Used right thumb and forefinger to push lips over the ball and past the equator ... I put the flat part of the lip on the flat, hollowed bottom of the lever bulb
6. Try 1 through 5 again if it cools down after a few tries
7. Once you're past the equator, you're home free ... position into place
8. Hide the CB from public view till the split one arrives via eBay ... :-/

Until #8 ... I am but half a man. :dodgy:
The ferret_imp said:
Holy smokes I believe we have a new Rlet installation champ. People were astonished when Nemo put one on in 11 seconds. I think you just did it in about 4. Wow

Impressed am I
Still think it was accomplished in post-production with digital effects. :D
I should also note that I softened them up quite a bit by inserting my fingers, end of a Sharpie, etc. ... basically, use them as a stress toy for a couple of hours before installation.
 
I found that a squirt of wd40 and 2 pairs of needle nose pliers was enough to easily stretch these out and slide them on. Whole thing took less than 5 minutes :huh:
 
Thread starter
Or the great redbirds himself. If only so I could see what happened. :rofl:
 



Watch the whole thing only if you suffer from insomnia.
I did edit out the trips to and from the microwave between attempts.
Obviously I didn't dress for a wide-angle lens. :-/

The "almost" attempt was from 18:00 to 20:22.

I didn't provide any background music (because copyright-free music for 25 minutes would be pretty awful) nor is there any dialogue besides grunts and such ... so load up your favorite tunes while watching.

And I'll spoil the ending for you ... add bandages to the budget ...

fcec9212c2ea6a4e051b7fa5b8fd7965.jpg
 
You have to include the 15 seconds in the microwave in the install time, IMO. Even so, still much faster than I did. I think I need to add RLETs to Cheryl’s Speedmaster.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
You have to include the 15 seconds in the microwave in the install time, IMO. Even so, still much faster than I did. I think I need to add RLETs to Cheryl’s Speedmaster.
Hopefully it won't be "weird" or anything like that. :)
 
Oh my...that was...something else to watch. Are you sure you ordered the right SIZE RLETS? Maybe they sent you the extra small ones. : )

I think I had the best result using three fingers to push RLET on, thumb, index and middle...even the ring finger gets in on the action...don't let it squirm around--beast it on....show it who's the boss!
And for the next video of actually getting the RLET on, I might suggest

THIS AS BACKGROUND MUSIC
 
pdedse_imp said:
Oh my...that was...something else to watch. Are you sure you ordered the right SIZE RLETS? Maybe they sent you the extra small ones. : )

I think I had the best result using three fingers to push RLET on, thumb, index and middle...even the ring finger gets in on the action...don't let it squirm around--beast it on....show it who's the boss!
And for the next video of actually getting the RLET on, I might suggest

THIS AS BACKGROUND MUSIC

:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Nice work, zbillster. It reminded me of my own experience. When you look at the knob and you look at the RLET, you do have to wonder.
 
Funny, but strange thing...zbillster I opened your video this morning, but without volumn, then opened some other windows, got to listening to some relaxing jazz on youtube, got up for more coffee, started reading some other posts here...turned up the jazz to hear a particularly nice piece...but in the background I kept hearing my relaxing jazz with some disturbing heavy breathing sounds and thought that was a weird combo of jazz and breathing...what group would produce that?!? I closed the youtube video...and the breathing continued!! That's when I realized it was your breathing, zbillster, trying to get that RLET on! I will not soon be able to listen to that same song again.
 
.... I think I need to add RLETs to Cheryl’s Speedmaster.

Don't worry, Empty. I put 'em on my Bonneville. The levers were slightly thicker than the Honda, and I think the "ball" is slightly larger as well, but they went on with no problem.

I was ready, at the time, for the ground to open up and swallow me and my bike as soon as they went on. I put myself and the bike on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood just in case. Luckily, nothing happened. No Hell Hounds, no Horseman of the Apocalypse, no locusts.

I was also ready, on my first ride after installation, by tying a rag around my head in case blood started oozing from my ears, but again, no ill effects.
 
And the very next morning ...




It's only 2:15 long and has a soundtrack AND dialogue.

As much as Lalo Schifrin might sympathize with my struggle (it's real), probably some corporate bigwig owns the rights to that MI theme and would strike it for infringement. :dodgy:

I did put a little white lithium grease on the end of the lever in case friction was impeding movement. And incorporated the middle finger ... funny how using your middle finger in dire circumstances magically helps. :D
 
Back
Top